Where's Warren Buffett During This Crisis?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Where's Warren Buffett During This Crisis?

Post by Leesbro63 »

In prior crisis periods, he's been right out front with thoughts, advice and making deals. This time he's notoriously quiet. Maybe he's in seclusion (he IS 89!) and can't figure out how to do the video on his newfangled iPhone.

All kidding aside, it does seem odd that we're not hearing from WB.
ValuationsMatter

Re: Where's Warren Buffett During This Crisis?

Post by ValuationsMatter »

1) working deals and spending his $128B to buy elephants
2) hiding from coronavirus because contracting it will kill him
Dale_G

Post by Dale_G »

Taking his time - no hurry.

Dale
Volatility is my friend
jeremyl

Post by jeremyl »

ValuationsMatter wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:03 pm 1) working deals and spending his $128B to buy elephants
2) hiding from coronavirus because contracting it will kill him
Exactly what I was thinking. :beer
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

There are a few interviews on YouTube.
https://m.youtube.com/results?search_qu ... %253D%253D
theorist

Post by theorist »

I’m interested to see what he comes up with. There are obviously cheap stocks in travel/hospitality/airline/energy. He could triple down on airline investments, or buy a chunk of Royal Caribbean. I have no reason to think he will buy any of these things (I certainly can’t tell whether any of them is an awesome bet — only that they are now cheap compared to history). But I’m guessing something big will come into Berkshire Hathaway during this drawdown.
bgf

Post by bgf »

he's analytical and relies on data (often accounting data) and is probably waiting til he feels he has a better grasp on what is likeliest to happen. it might simply be too early for him to make a big move either way. i bet he's only been nibbling.
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"
InvestInPasta

Post by InvestInPasta »

Maybe we will hear from him when there will be blood in the streets, when everybody will be fearful and scared to death. :beer

He will be greedy when the others will be fearful. :greedy

BTW my portfolio is down only 2.5% and I am already starting to be fearful. :mrgreen:
Last edited by InvestInPasta on Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When I study English I am lazier than my portfolio. Feel free to fix my English and investing mistakes.
BillWalters

Post by BillWalters »

Almost certainly loading up the shotgun. The real bargains won’t be available until the carnage intensifies.
Scooter57

Post by Scooter57 »

Quarentining, because he is in a high risk group and can't risk the face-to-face meetings he considers essential to understanding the quality of the executives and companies he makes deals with
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

bgf wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:31 pm he's analytical and relies on data (often accounting data) and is probably waiting til he feels he has a better grasp on what is likeliest to happen. it might simply be too early for him to make a big move either way. i bet he's only been nibbling.
I think this is correct. Somehow I don't envision Buffett sitting on a pile of money tossing it in the air like Scrooge McDuck. I think he is surveying the situation and looking for opportunity. He probably regrets his big investment in Delta Airlines right now.
A fool and his money are good for business.
Jim180

Post by Jim180 »

He's probably a bit unsure right now since he said in an interview that he's never seen a situation like this.
InvestInPasta

Post by InvestInPasta »

Jim180 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:58 pm He's probably a bit unsure right now since he said in an interview that he's never seen a situation like this.
I wonder in what way he has never seen a situation like this. He was born in 1930, when he was 10 years old he had to go through the 2nd world war for 5 years.
Hasn't he said he bought his 1st stock when he was 11, hence he bought his 1st stock in 1941 when Japan attacked US on Pearl Harbor.
If I had to choose I would prefer the COVID-2019 rather than a world war.

And think when he had to go through the Cuban missile crisis in the 60s, then iperinflation and oil crisis in the 70s, the flash crash in 87, the dot com crisis in 2000 where he was also badly underperforming the market, then the 2009 crisis.
Last edited by InvestInPasta on Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When I study English I am lazier than my portfolio. Feel free to fix my English and investing mistakes.
CoastalWinds

Post by CoastalWinds »

Buffet and Gates gave pledged to leave their fortunes to charities after their passing, but I wish they would consider using some of their funds TODAY to help ease the current pandemic and economic collapse.
Cubicle

Post by Cubicle »

Sleeping so he can be awake 24/7 when the current "clearance" pricing moves on to:

"firesale, store closing, everything must go, bring your truck or van & load yourself because we fired all the muscle guys already".
$1 saved = >$1 earned. ✓
Catfish Plumber

Post by Catfish Plumber »

CoastalWinds wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:20 pm Buffet and Gates gave pledged to leave their fortunes to charities after their passing, but I wish they would consider using some of their funds TODAY to help ease the current pandemic and economic collapse.
“The Gates Foundation has committed up to $100 million to help with the COVID-19 response around the world, as well as $5 million to support our home state of Washington.”

https://www.reddit.com/r/Coronavirus/co ... nda_gates/
anoop

Post by anoop »

CoastalWinds wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:20 pm Buffet and Gates gave pledged to leave their fortunes to charities after their passing, but I wish they would consider using some of their funds TODAY to help ease the current pandemic and economic collapse.
This is charity billionaire style
https://youtube.com/watch?v=mS9CFBlLOcg
Entertaining and might be an eye opener.

As to where is Warren — he did come out and say stocks might drop 50% but he expects them to recover.

He will be in action when companies are about to declare bankruptcy. I remember him saying a while ago that he’d be interested in GE at the right price, and since he hasn’t moved on GE that means he thinks it’s worth less than even $6.
BionicBillWalsh

Post by BionicBillWalsh »

He's knee deep in Coke and financials right now.

In reality, probably working a very sweet rescue deal for Boeing right now. Among other institutions that are in dire straits.
Last edited by BionicBillWalsh on Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry Garcia: If I knew the way...I would take you home.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

Coronavirus has killed just under 9 thousand people.

Malaria kills more than a million a year, mostly children.

A big difference is that Coronavirus is hitting the developed world, while malaria and a whole host of other diseases affect just the third world.

I'm sure he will at least help his home state of Washington, but the developed world has the resources to help itself. The Gates foundation has been using its resources to fight malaria and a host of other diseases which primarily kill in the third world. If the Gates foundation decides to continue to use its money to help those who don't have the resources, rather than fight Covid -19 that is certainly not an indefensible position .
Jim180

Post by Jim180 »

InvestInPasta wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:12 pm
Jim180 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:58 pm He's probably a bit unsure right now since he said in an interview that he's never seen a situation like this.
I wonder in what way he has never seen a situation like this. He was born in 1930, when he was 10 years old he had to go through the 2nd world war for 5 years.
Hasn't he said he bought his 1st stock when he was 11, hence he bought his 1st stock in 1941 when Japan attacked US on Pearl Harbor.
If I had to choose I would prefer the COVID-2019 rather than a world war.

And think when he had to go through the Cuban missile crisis in the 60s, then iperinflation and oil crisis in the 70s, the flash crash in 87, the dot com crisis in 2000 where he was also badly underperforming the market, then the 2009 crisis.
He mentioned that two significant events (virus and collapse in oil prices) happening simultaneously is a first for him and is like a double whammy to the markets.
jacoavlu

Post by jacoavlu »

Bill Gates is very deep into this viral pandemic and vaccines. He’s written several articles in the New England Journal of Medicine. Including one recently. They are available to read.

Next BRK quarterly filing should be interesting. See what Warren and crew is buying.
Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 »

BionicBillWalsh wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:50 pm He's knee deep in Coke and financials right now.

In reality, probably working a very sweet rescue deal for Boeing right now. Among other institutions that are in dire straits.
I was thinking this as well. BA current market cap is around 60B. It is a duopoly with what some feel is a well defined moat with a high barrier of entry for another competitor, if it can withstand this current economic turbulence.
BenfromToronto

Post by BenfromToronto »

One thing Warren Buffet and Charlie Munger may be buying: Berkshire Hathaway.

They have always said that they buy back shares when the share price is less than its intrinsic value (which they know and we don't).

Since its peak on February 19, 2020, SPY (a typical S&P500 ETF) has decreased 29% (from $338 to $240).
Since its peak on February 21, 2020, BRKB.B has decreased 25% (from$229 to $172).
With a current market cap of "only" S421B at the close today (March 18, 2020), $100B+ in cash can buy about 1/4 of the company.
Becoming rich slowly is simple --earn, save, invest following a Bogleheads philosophy-- but it is not easy.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

Scooter57 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:50 pm Quarentining, because he is in a high risk group and can't risk the face-to-face meetings he considers essential to understanding the quality of the executives and companies he makes deals with
Might be a good time for him to learn how to use the FaceTime feature on that iPhone (that he says he only uses for voice calls).
tvubpwcisla

Post by tvubpwcisla »

Warren Buffett has provided investors with a wealth of information over the years, just like Jack. They both would tell us to stay the course and do as much as we can to take it one day at a time. Everything will work out in the long term. We will be okay.
Culbretd

Post by Culbretd »

nedsaid wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:56 pm
bgf wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:31 pm he's analytical and relies on data (often accounting data) and is probably waiting til he feels he has a better grasp on what is likeliest to happen. it might simply be too early for him to make a big move either way. i bet he's only been nibbling.
I think this is correct. Somehow I don't envision Buffett sitting on a pile of money tossing it in the air like Scrooge McDuck. I think he is surveying the situation and looking for opportunity. He probably regrets his big investment in Delta Airlines right now.
If i’m Not mistaken I believe I read an article on yahoo finance the other day where he or one of his portfolio managers just bought another million shares of Delta Airline when the price dropped in the $32 dollar range.
bitdocmd

Post by bitdocmd »

Culbretd wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:03 am
nedsaid wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:56 pm
If i’m Not mistaken I believe I read an article on yahoo finance the other day where he or one of his portfolio managers just bought another million shares of Delta Airline when the price dropped in the $32 dollar range.
Why does Buffet luv airlines so much?
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

Whatever bargains Buffett bought during the last crisis have underperformed Mr Market to date so I am not particularly paying attention.
Scooter57

Post by Scooter57 »

halfnine wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:26 am Whatever bargains Buffett bought during the last crisis have underperformed Mr Market to date so I am not particularly paying attention.
Yeah, when he bought all that IBM stick I figured he was finally losing his touch.
tristessa79

Post by tristessa79 »

Doesn't really give any insight into the economy right now, or the crisis itself, but this is notable as one of Buffett's few recent public statements: his letter explaining that the 2020 Berkshire meeting is closed to the public.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

He’s 89. I hope he’s sheltering.

He’s probably got something up his sleeve, though. This is the kind of market he thrives on.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

He's still eerily quiet.
btq96r

Post by btq96r »

I'd imagine he's keeping situational awareness through his networks, reading up on historical pandemics, and waiting for companies to be at the last step before having to file bankruptcy...that's when he's best positioned to move in on his terms and buy a controlling share at bargain cost for companies he's done diligence on.
FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat »

Have you been reading the news? Warren is evaluating deals. He bought Kroger and Delta Airlines so far.
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.
wander

Post by wander »

ValuationsMatter wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:03 pm 2) hiding from coronavirus because contracting it will kill him
If he wants, he can broadcast video.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

wander wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:10 pm
ValuationsMatter wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:03 pm 2) hiding from coronavirus because contracting it will kill him
If he wants, he can broadcast video.
Maybe not as he doesn’t know how to use his iPhone beyond voice. But he could voice in an interview.
Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 »

I believe he has no fiduciary duty to communicate his thoughts on the market at large but does have a fiduciary duty to Berkshire stockholders. I hope he is getting greedy with the large 100B+ cash reserve.

Although the companies Berkshire has invested in May have lagged the market and so has the stock, they have received favorable terms for dividends which to this point has been stockpiled until the “right opportunity”. Hopefully he and team are quietly working in the right opportunities in this “fearful environment” in the markets.
bog419

Post by bog419 »

LOL, do you need Buffet to know where this market is heading and that the most clever thing to do right now is sell if you have invested equities and re-enter at much lower value. [Comment deleted -- moderator oldcomputerguy]. Turn the TV on dude, the world is stopped right now, there's not even an airplane above you, what do you expect for the incoming weeks / month exactly ? A trending up market ? :D No ? Of course not ! So stop being religious with finance, this is not the time to invest, WAIT.
jello_nailer

Post by jello_nailer »

Dale_G wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:07 pm Taking his time - no hurry.

Dale
Circling Boeing...
Frank2012

Post by Frank2012 »

Warren Buffet is doing a lot of interviews on CNBC and elsewhere talking book as usual.
Frank2012

Post by Frank2012 »

Warren Buffet is doing a lot of interviews on CNBC and elsewhere talking book as usual.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

Frank2012 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:23 am Warren Buffet is doing a lot of interviews on CNBC and elsewhere talking book as usual.
I watch and have not seen it. Can you point me to a source?
pennsylvania211

Post by pennsylvania211 »

Xrayman69 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:12 pm
BionicBillWalsh wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:50 pm He's knee deep in Coke and financials right now.

I was thinking this as well. BA current market cap is around 60B. It is a duopoly with what some feel is a well defined moat with a high barrier of entry for another competitor, if it can withstand this current economic turbulence.
I was also thinking about this. Wouldn't be surprised if Buffet buys Boeing altogether.

In hindsight, a lot of future posters will agree that whatever he buys was the most logical choice all along. :D :D
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Leesbro63 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:07 pm
Frank2012 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:23 am Warren Buffet is doing a lot of interviews on CNBC and elsewhere talking book as usual.
[OT comment removed by moderator prudent]

https://markets.businessinsider.com/new ... 1029019507
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

rich126 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:08 pm
[OT comment removed by moderator prudent]

Yes, I can and did use Google and saw that. It’s not what Frank2012 said. It’s a compilation from prior interviews. He said he’s currently doing a lot of interviews. I’d like to see one.
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

The market hasn't fallen far enough for him to be trotted out to try to reassure the public. October 16, 2008 was the date of his Buy American. I Am. op-ed in the New York Times. The DJIA closed that day at 8,979 down from 14,198 the prior October. It would fall to 6,547 five months later. His call was a bit premature for investors. :happy

Buy American. I Am. --- https://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/17/opin ... ffett.html
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
Frank2012

Post by Frank2012 »

Leesbro63 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:18 pm
[OT comment removed - moderator prudent]

Yes, I can and did use Google and saw that. It’s not what Frank2012 said. It’s a compilation from prior interviews. He said he’s currently doing a lot of interviews. I’d like to see one.
Leesbro, simply google, youtube, etc. and you will see Warren lighting up the map.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

Frank2012 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:42 pm

Leesbro, simply google, youtube, etc. and you will see Warren lighting up the map.
I have. Can you point me to one that’s less than 10 days old?
Frank2012

Post by Frank2012 »

Leesbro63 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:57 pm

Wait. What? 10 days is old to you?
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

Frank2012 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:43 pm
Leesbro63 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:57 pm

Wait. What? 10 days is old to you?
Are you kidding me? The last 10 days have been a lifetime in the financial world. Yes, certainly, anything from Buffett prior to 10 dats ago is old. And doesn’t address my original comment that he suspiciously hasn’t weighed in on this crisis as he has priors.