How much you lost/gain since Feb 20,2020 ?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Vihoo

Re: How much you lost/gain since Feb 20,2020 ?

Post by Vihoo »

-18% portfolio (-5% of net worth)

Could have been worse. Was plowing through the prelim research on Coronavirus and realized how bad it was going to get. Moved a large chunk from equity to bonds & cash. And, kept reading up and did it again last week, right before the crash cause I felt this week would be awful.

I have 30+ years to retirement and most of my net worth is tied up in our real estate rental investments. All my properties are rents have gotten paid, and I’ve had no problems there.
chrisjul

Post by chrisjul »

watchnerd wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:59 pm
chrisjul wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:35 pm Down $20k.

I did market time and lighten up when the virus got out of hand in China. Only 6% in market when it crashed.

I know the Vanguard crowd will smite me for "market timing", but it seemed pretty obvious that the world was in for a tough time.
Getting out is easy.

When are you getting back in?

When the virus peaks. The market is down over 9,000 points since I sold.....lots or room for error to get back in.
SGM

Post by SGM »

I am down 12.5 % in my portfolio and bank accounts. I have sold very little during this time. I have regular withdrawals scheduled from a money market account for expenses. There is not much to spend the money on as all restaurants are closed except for carry out. Theaters are also all closed. Local auction house had its last sale yesterday. Mostly it was limited to write in bids. The auction house will close indefinitely. DW will pick up her winning bid items today. They will be stored at least until May 16th as that is when her favorite charity shop is scheduled to reopen.

We are using this time to empty out our last residence for possible future sale. A buyer is anxiously awaiting our emptying of the house. Now I use it as a safe place to meet a few friends at proper social distance for coffee. It has a nice heated porch with a woodsy view. We also have large farm fields available for walks later in the day. We are in no hurry to sell.

Our second favorite charity Rebuilding Together is cancelling all home visits. Emergency visits are not expected until the cold weather returns next winter.
sd323232

Post by sd323232 »

chrisjul wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:26 am

I did market time and lighten up when the virus got out of hand in China. Only 6% in market when it crashed.

I know the Vanguard crowd will smite me for "market timing", but it seemed pretty obvious that the world was in for a tough time.
Getting out is easy.

When the virus peaks. The market is down over 9,000 points since I sold.....lots or room for error to get back in.
getting back in at dow 16K and below? 2020 will be rough, but in 2030 we wont even remember this!
Colorado Guy

Post by Colorado Guy »

Double whammy, I retired 1 March, and looked at my accounts this morning for the first time since this started, down 13%. It hurts a lot because it dropped below "my number", but survivable. Thankful I did OMY before making this step, as I was considering retiring last year. After looking at my accounts, trying to decide if I want/need to rebalance and get out of international for awhile.

The big question for me right now is regarding a pension that I have not yet pulled the trigger on. I can take it as a lump sum or annuity. I know the normal Boglehead recommendation is an annuity, but now wondering if a lump sum (and then invested at these levels) would be worthwhile.
DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva »

BlueRidgePro wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:25 am Nothing lost or gained. I haven't traded. Sitting on my positions.
+1 :sharebeer
Thought Is Free

Post by Thought Is Free »

Down around 25% with a 85% S&P/15% total bond allocation. First crash, brutal.
chrisjul

Post by chrisjul »

sd323232 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:19 am
chrisjul wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:26 am

Getting out is easy.

getting back in at dow 16K and below? 2020 will be rough, but in 2030 we wont even remember this!
LOL. Get real. This is Historical, both economically and medically. WE WILL remember this.
StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

chrisjul wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:21 pm
sd323232 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:19 am getting back in at dow 16K and below? 2020 will be rough, but in 2030 we wont even remember this!
LOL. Get real. This is Historical, both economically and medically. WE WILL remember this.
Remember this? Dude, they're going to make movies about this.

Outbreak 2, Coronavirus hits Manhattan!
k1982

Post by k1982 »

im 100% stocks and losing alot ..yet i keep going to the bank every few days to buy up VFIAX

just standard procedure during crisis
stocknoob4111

Post by stocknoob4111 »

To give an idea of the magnitude of the downturn especially in Small Caps which are down a staggering 45% from the peak, I recently TLH'd my Small Cap holdings a few days ago, since then I have another $25K of losses to harvest since March 9th. AND I don't have much Small Cap, it's just that the meltdown has been that severe.

I DO believe however that the Small Caps have been a leading indicator of this downturn from mid 2018 when they started their decline and Large will catch up. The worst for the Small Caps is behind them (all the carnage has been priced in) and they will be the first to rebound on the other side and they will rebound stronger than Large similar to what happened in other downturns when the new economic cycle starts, it will just take a while perhaps another 12-18 months.
iceport

Post by iceport »

Down just over 20% from peak, just one month ago. Started at 58/42. Nothing's gone in or out of the portfolio since April 2017. This crash has already dropped the portfolio value to what it was in May, 2017. Hope we're near the bottom...
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” ─William Bernstein
Dale_G

Post by Dale_G »

Passed down through two 2 comma numbers so far. The good thing is that with each decline from here, the number of dollars per percent decline gets smaller :(

Dale
Volatility is my friend
iceport

Post by iceport »

Dale_G wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:16 pm Passed down through two 2 comma numbers so far. The good thing is that with each decline from here, the number of dollars per percent decline gets smaller :(

Dale
Hey, the glass might be half-full with that outlook, but I don't much like what's in it!
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” ─William Bernstein
topper1296

Post by topper1296 »

Down six figures with about 35% in bonds and cash at age 46.
peddler12

Post by peddler12 »

I changed my AA earlier in the year to 50/50 across all accounts. I'm enjoying how well this is holding up as the market is down 30%. I'm down not quite half that. Thankful for all that I've learned here. Much better investor even if I have been trying to catch a falling knife with VTI. My average cost per share is just over 125.00, so I'm thinking that's good.
market timer

Post by market timer »

Down nearly $500K at this time. I'm fine with that as long as I can keep earning a decent income, which is unfortunately not a given.
scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 »

I am down about $250k since 1/1/2020, although about $30k is due to unrelated, one-time spending. My overall AA is around 40/60. I am an early retiree living off my investment income, most of it from a big bond fund. I'll be eagerly waiting to see if its monthly dividend will be impacted.
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

-$120k or so. No big deal.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

deanmoriarty wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:41 pm I have lost ~$500k. Invested in a standard 70/30 portfolio. I started investing in 2012, but a significant portion of the contributions came after 2017 (due to my career growth), so my 9-year IRR is -2%.

It has been incredibly brutal and demotivating. I am having a hard time even staying concentrated at work. I won't be selling and I am ready to see it go to $0 rather than selling, but it has been way harder than I imagined.

Lots of friends have been making a killing selling at the top or hedging with PUT options or VIX. They say "This was so obvious! We had a window into the future by looking at what happened to China! I don't understand why you kept your money and let it go down so much!". So, they made insane money by investing purely in FAANG stocks over the past few years, and now they are making insane money because they sold at the "obvious top", while I am here with a very diligent investing approach and negative IRR...

When this is over, I will definitely consider diversifying my portfolio and looking into real estate. Some real estate investors I know are laughing at this, they are still getting all their rent checks since they are not over-leveraged, while my REITs are down almost 50%...

I feel like the dumbest person in the whole world.
You are not alone!

Comment to DW last night, . . "do you know how much money we will have when the market recovers if we had sold at the top and bought in at the bottom?"

Good to have a sense of humor and get used to the "new normal". Less stress.

"Sometimes you feel like a "shmuck", sometimes you don't. . . Almond Joy's got nuts. . Mounds don't"
Old chocolate commercial.
j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Karma Skimmer

Post by Karma Skimmer »

Down around 20% on a 60:10:30 Equities:BondsFunds:CDs portfolio.

Not worried even a bit. I learned my lesson in 2008 and keep 5 years of expenses in CDs. The market can go down, I can lose my job, and I can still float easily for 5 years or more. At some point I'll move 5 - 10% more into equities.
Rajsx

Post by Rajsx »

Down $1.1 m, down 16.6 % YTD , started at 57/43 & in spite of re balancing today I am 48/52,
We do not stop laughing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop laughing !!
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

deanmoriarty wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:41 pm I have lost ~$500k. Invested in a standard 70/30 portfolio. I started investing in 2012, but a significant portion of the contributions came after 2017 (due to my career growth), so my 9-year IRR is -2%.

It has been incredibly brutal and demotivating. I am having a hard time even staying concentrated at work. I won't be selling and I am ready to see it go to $0 rather than selling, but it has been way harder than I imagined.

Lots of friends have been making a killing selling at the top or hedging with PUT options or VIX. They say "This was so obvious! We had a window into the future by looking at what happened to China! I don't understand why you kept your money and let it go down so much!". So, they made insane money by investing purely in FAANG stocks over the past few years, and now they are making insane money because they sold at the "obvious top", while I am here with a very diligent investing approach and negative IRR...

When this is over, I will definitely consider diversifying my portfolio and looking into real estate. Some real estate investors I know are laughing at this, they are still getting all their rent checks since they are not over-leveraged, while my REITs are down almost 50%...

I feel like the dumbest person in the whole world.
Your not and will be back stronger than ever. Your friends have to know when to get bounce in.

After investing in REITs for YEARS, I sold them and gave up. I am convinced they function more in line with stock than real estate anymore. They are a separate sector now by in the S&P 500 (11 sectors total). They don't seem to go the other way when market trauma happens but only to drop much more. Yesterday they were down 10% to the markets 5%. They used to have a yield (which is where the majority of the return comes from) of 4-6%. Now it is 2.20+ on Vanguard.com subject to ordinary income tax rates.

You can do much better than that if you want dividends.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Clemblack

Post by Clemblack »

I'm down about 30%.

Everyone I talk to seems to have gotten out of the market just before all this started. "I knew it was coming." "I sold late 2019 when the market was obviously too high."

Here I sit, staying the course.
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

My emergency fund is 50% Wellesley. Loss of 5% YTD.
My 403b is 80% US and 20% international. I don’t really look at that.
Rosencrantz1

Post by Rosencrantz1 »

Clemblack wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:08 pm I'm down about 30%.

Everyone I talk to seems to have gotten out of the market just before all this started. "I knew it was coming." "I sold late 2019 when the market was obviously too high."

Here I sit, staying the course.
I wouldn't put a TON of stock (no pun intended) in all the folks saying "I knew it was coming and moved to cash". Sure, some folks did that (or, more likely, moved a PART of their portfolio into cash) and have profited (and my congrats to them for seeing, in advance, the gathering storm clouds). I suppose my point is that people are generally known to "stretch the truth" occasionally.

To the OPs question - I think I'm looking at a current paper loss of about -$250K in the retirement portfolio. And, just so that the 'anti paper loss' folks don't get upset, I'll restate that to mean "my net worth is down about $250K and I haven't realized (no selling for actual $$) that loss". Either way I view it, it's a bummer... but, life goes on. :beer
Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 »

enough to buy a very nice house.....
cashboy

Post by cashboy »

as of today down

three fund portfolio

AA went
from 50/50
to 42/58
Three-Fund Portfolio: FSPSX - FXAIX - FXNAX (with slight tilt of CDs - CASH - Canned Beans - Rice - Bottled Water)
Copernicus

Post by Copernicus »

Clemblack wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:08 pm I'm down about 30%.
Sorry to read that. Trying to understand - Was your AA 100% stocks?
smectym

Post by smectym »

I havent totted up all the losses to the penny but obviously we’ve “lost” several hundred thousand bucks from the paper peak, no question.

But let’s remember that we’ve been enjoying a fairly pleasant ride, most of us who have been in the market for this past decade. Naturally, like Gordon Gekko, none of us like losses, but when we’ve been socking it away for lo these past many years, I suppose we can afford to be philosophical
Mister E

Post by Mister E »

Down 22.5% roughly $100,000
My plan from 12 months ago was to rebalance from 50/50 at this recent peak, to 70/30 bonds as market drops, adjusting every 5% drop. I was hoping to get to 70/30 around a 40% total market loss, then sit on my hands? I've stuck to the plan so far.
Nervous, I really need a link to one of those Bogle, historic perspective threads.
8 years til retirement.
1.5 year cash to live, debt free.
I should be very thankful and grateful!
Last edited by Mister E on Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
togb

Post by togb »

down 24% from the peak. Various accounts range from 20-26% down. My AA was 70/30 going in, which was a change from 99/1 a few years ago. Really glad to have the 30% in bonds/cash, but was surprised that bonds went down as much as they did. ( most of it's in BND, Vanguards LT and ST EFTs)

I was adding to some equity positions this week, but will TLH one after tax position.

Part of me felt like the last year was paper appreciation, not real. But it was nice, and even had me thinking about revising my retirement timeframe. I'm still thinking about that, but now thinking maybe work a few more years not a few less.....

I have not sold anything, Just bought a little at what seemed like irresistible prices.
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

70/30 portfolio market value is down ~25% from peak, a bit lower than I'd like as my Muni bond funds haven't cooperated as well as I'd have liked. Good for a cool -$750k . However, own a significantly larger number of shares of S&P 500 than I otherwise would have, and I collected a lovely TLH coupon on the way down which I shall cash in at a later date :D . Can we remember to do the inverse of this thread on the way back up? :twisted:

Sounds like I'm in good company! I'll be buying all the way down per rebalance bands. Hang in there everyone!
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

Down 24% YTD on an 8020 portfolio.
carminered2019

Post by carminered2019 »

down 695K as of today but also been buying a lot more.
kareysue

Post by kareysue »

vipertom1970 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:42 am down 695K as of today but also been buying a lot more.
Do you buy individual stocks or mutual funds ? and what do you think of shorting
angeleyes

Post by angeleyes »

-18.99%
90% S&P500 10% Bonds
TierArtz

Post by TierArtz »

More than my nice house is worth; 6x remaining mortgage; 3 years salary - hanging on and invested my bonus in S&P500 - roughly 60:40 portfolio.
carminered2019

Post by carminered2019 »

kareysue wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:08 am
vipertom1970 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:42 am down 695K as of today but also been buying a lot more.
Do you buy individual stocks or mutual funds ? and what do you think of shorting
I long everything last 25 years and only have 1 individual stock MSFT for over 23 years. The bulk of my portfolio is just two funds, Total US and total international. I am temped to go back to individual stocks but it was way too much work because to be diversified you have to have at least 40 stocks and too much research involved.
smectym

Post by smectym »

mk1039 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:29 am i just thought to see how people are doing with their investments in stock market.

i had 458k on Feb 20,2020. now 358k.....so down 100k (22%) as of today. in my taxable account.

i am not making any changes. most of my money is in 25 different large cap stocks. i remember at the end of 2018 when everything went down but then went up quickly...so hoping for the same.
Haven’t read every post, so this point has probably been anticipated, but when calculating your gain or loss loss it’s best to do it off the avearage cost basis of your shares rather than the absolute peak quote you hit on paper at the tiptop high. That gives a better read on what you’ve actually won or lost.
SmithBit

Post by SmithBit »

I recently started my journey during late Feb this year.
Overall I am only down "-1.9569%" or "-$3,496.55". I only have 10% in equities so I think I am doing alright. :happy
long_gamma

Post by long_gamma »

Up 18% from Feb 19.

Portfolio of mostly "weapons of mass distruction"
"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth." --Mike Tyson
revhappy

Post by revhappy »

smectym wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:49 am
Haven’t read every post, so this point has probably been anticipated, but when calculating your gain or loss loss it’s best to do it off the avearage cost basis of your shares rather than the absolute peak quote you hit on paper at the tiptop high. That gives a better read on what you’ve actually won or lost.
I believe a better way to put it is how far back you have gone with your networth. My networth is now, what it was exactly 1yr ago. So I lost 1 year worth of salary savings + investment gains.
JimmyD

Post by JimmyD »

Down 24% ytd, but we both have stable jobs, even through this crisis and over 20 years until retirement, so we're just continuing to stay the course.
mnsportsgeek

Post by mnsportsgeek »

My net worth is down from 480k to 400k. Fortunately, I had quite a lot of cash for an eventual house purchase that is safe, so my entire portfolio isn’t as bad as it could have been. I’m essentially at a net worth I had in October 2019.
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

Down about 20% in my retirement funds. Losses = ~ 60% of last years income.

It’s my third rodeo and so far I’m holding better than last time but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t scared at some this one will be different.
fatmike91

Post by fatmike91 »

Down 8.5%. For me the biggest source of frustration is that close to half of that amount originated from bond funds.

/
ginstwin

Post by ginstwin »

Down 17% YTD on a portfolio that was 50-50 . Now 40-60

I dont yet have the stomach to rebalance but I keep considering . I also dont have the stomach to reduce my stock (intentionally) AA . Therefore at the moment I am just staying with it although on a daily basis the AA is skewing further to the left.

I did some TLH selling VTI and buying SPY to retain the same AA which I hope will be useful years down the road.

I am retired so I dont have a salary to continually contribute. Its been very stressful but I can see from this thread that I am not alone . Cutting back on large expenses where possible .
Third Son

Post by Third Son »

Colorado Guy wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:39 am Double whammy, I retired 1 March, and looked at my accounts this morning for the first time since this started, down 13%. It hurts a lot because it dropped below "my number", but survivable. Thankful I did OMY before making this step, as I was considering retiring last year. After looking at my accounts, trying to decide if I want/need to re-balance and get out of international for awhile.

The big question for me right now is regarding a pension that I have not yet pulled the trigger on. I can take it as a lump sum or annuity. I know the normal Boglehead recommendation is an annuity, but now wondering if a lump sum (and then invested at these levels) would be worthwhile.
I retired on Feb 29th and am awaiting a lump sum from Megacorp. It should be in my IRA in a couple of weeks. I am going to use the bulk of it to re-balance (down 12.6% to 30/70) and keep some cash on the sidelines for a year or so. I had foot surgery on Feb 20th so I have been self quarantined for a month anyway now. Now starting to move around a bit I am keeping myself busy getting the house ready to sell.

Smart people tend to figure things out. Good luck to you and remember to enjoy your retirement. BTW... what is OMY?
"A part of all you earn is yours to keep" | | -The Richest Man in Babylon
dallasguru

Post by dallasguru »

some of my friends have zero exposure to the stock market; they are fully invested in Universal Life Insurance and 401k rolled over to annuities. Last few years I thought they are stupid, but now I feel I am the BIGGER stupid :(