I really hope...

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
whereskyle

I really hope...

Post by whereskyle » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:00 pm

... that no one sold yesterday.

Stay the course.

:sharebeer
"I am better off than he is – for he knows nothing and thinks that he knows. I neither know nor think that I know." - Socrates. "Nobody knows nothing." - Jack Bogle

BoggledHead2

Re: I really hope...

Post by BoggledHead2 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:03 pm

whereskyle wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:00 pm

Stay the course.

I did buy ...

Topic Author
whereskyle

Post by whereskyle » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:04 pm

BoggledHead2 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:03 pm
whereskyle wrote:

Stay the course.

I did buy ...
As did I, but just a little bit. Who knows? Maybe it will come all the way back down on Monday.

Point remains the same.

Stay the course.

"I am better off than he is – for he knows nothing and thinks that he knows. I neither know nor think that I know." - Socrates. "Nobody knows nothing." - Jack Bogle

Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:07 pm

I rebalanced yesterday. :beer

I won't brag and say I bought, because that is misleading.

Topic Author
whereskyle

Post by whereskyle » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:09 pm

Triple digit golfer wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:07 pm

Cheers for now! :beer Again, we don't know what will happen next week. I just really hope no one has to deal this weekend with the stress of having sold yesterday.

We're in this together, and I hope that we stay (the course) in this together!

Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:09 pm

Well, with the market fluctuations you never know. We won't be able to write the story of our personal investment decisions until it's clear that this is in the rearview mirror. It's quite possible the people who sold on Thursday will be the ones who "win" if the markets tank again in the weeks and months to come.

I posted yesterday about buying $34,000 worth of call options expiring in Jan 2022 - I didn't even know it would be one of the worst market drops in history when the order went through. They are up substantially in just one day. They could drop significantly on Monday, but I know that for the next two years, I'll be able to buy as many shares as my income allows fixed at Thursday's prices, and that's all I care about :beer

I would feel terrible on days like these - markets surging upwards - if I didn't have a hedge like that. Stocks going up means your money buys less.
Last edited by Caduceus on Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Streptococcus

Post by Streptococcus » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:10 pm

whereskyle wrote:

Stay the course.

:D :)
We really should not try to time the market. This is so crazy :D

Topic Author
whereskyle

Post by whereskyle » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:11 pm

Caduceus wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:09 pm
Well, with the market fluctuations you never know. We won't be able to write the story of our personal investment decisions until it's clear that this is in the rearview mirror. It's quite possible the people who sold on Thursday will be the ones who "win" if the markets tank again in the weeks and months to come.

I posted yesterday about buying $34,000 worth of call options expiring in Jan 2022 - I didn't even know it would be one of the worst market drops in history when the order went through. They are up substantially in just one day. They could drop significantly on Monday, but I know that for the next two years, I'll be able to buy as many shares as my income allows at Thursday's prices. :beer

I would feel terrible on days like these - markets surging upwards - if I didn't have a hedge like that. Stocks going up means your money buys less.
Truth all around. A few more of the unknowables!

Streptococcus

Post by Streptococcus » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:11 pm

Triple digit golfer wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:07 pm

If you rebalanced yesterday, does that actually become actual before opening today? I'm not sure.

Topic Author
whereskyle

Post by whereskyle » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:12 pm

Streptococcus wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:10 pm
whereskyle wrote:

Stay the course.

:D :)
We really should not try to time the market. This is so crazy :D
In a world this crazy, you are exactly right.

metalworking

Post by metalworking » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:13 pm

I cant win. I did my first tax loss harvest right before the market shot up. I have been trying to dump my last active fund for years and finally got a chance. I suspect I ended up with a "tax break even" more than a "tax loss".

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:15 pm

whereskyle wrote:

Stay the course.

Didn't sell but I did have 4 GTC orders execute in the first 30 minutes yesterday.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

Topic Author
whereskyle

Post by whereskyle » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:17 pm

TheTimeLord wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:15 pm
whereskyle wrote:

Stay the course.

Didn't sell but I did have 4 GTC orders execute in the first 30 minutes yesterday.
Buying a diversified set of equities to hold for the long term is always a good decision.

Topic Author
whereskyle

Post by whereskyle » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:23 pm

metalworking wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:13 pm
I cant win. I did my first tax loss harvest right before the market shot up. I have been trying to dump my last active fund for years and finally got a chance. I suspect I ended up with a "tax break even" more than a "tax loss".
I am sorry. That is a shame and a tax-loss-harvesting risk that I had not previously considered. If it's any comfort, Jack would probably say, "you're right. You can't win, so don't take it personally." At least we know that if you're tax loss harvesting, you're in a higher tax bracket than that of the median income, so we still have that to be thankful for. I have not harvested before, so I am unsure if near-term volatility might yet prove your decision fruitful. There's as good a chance we go down from here as up.

FoolMeOnce

Post by FoolMeOnce » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:26 pm

metalworking wrote:
Isn't that a good thing? Bigger loss to claim, but still the same amount invested? Unless it shot up after your sell was executed and before your buy was executed, in which case, condolences.

metalworking

Post by metalworking » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:31 pm

FoolMeOnce wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:26 pm
metalworking wrote:
Isn't that a good thing? Bigger loss to claim, but still the same amount invested? Unless it shot up after your sell was executed and before your buy was executed, in which case, condolences.
That is what happened. It was a mutual fund i have been trying to get out of for several years but it will execute at closing price.

prudent

Post by prudent » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:43 pm

Topic is locked - not personal as required by forum policy, which states "Note that topics must be directly connected to your (or your friend's or family's) financial life. General comments or complaints about these topics will be locked or removed"