St. George, Utah

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Goblue97

St. George, Utah

Post by Goblue97 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:16 pm

Good afternoon everyone. Looking for recommendations for St. George, Utah such as where to stay and what to do for trip in mid April and also if you preferred any towns nearby instead of St. George. We do also plan on a Zion NP visit. Thanks in advance.

Tdubs

Re: St. George, Utah

Post by Tdubs » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:19 pm

Goblue97 wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:16 pm
Good afternoon everyone. Looking for recommendations for St. George, Utah such as where to stay and what to do for trip in mid April and also if you preferred any towns nearby instead of St. George. We do also plan on a Zion NP visit. Thanks in advance.
And Bryce,?

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:33 pm

St George is pretty far to stay unless your just going for a day. About 5 years ago I stayed in Big Water with the folks below. About 30-40 minutes east of Kabab. Very remote and basic, but works.

If you are looking for a hotel or nicer house, try Kanab. I was looking to go back out and they have a ton of places on AirBnb that looked good and prices reasonable.

https://paria.com/

Random Musings

Post by Random Musings » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:35 pm

What do you plan to do around St. George and how many days are you going to be out there? There is a nice state park nearby, and April will have comfortable temps. We stopped there the first evening after flying into Vegas (had dinner and shopped for food), but left there early a.m. to head to the big five. We stayed close to the N.P.'s to save time. St. George to Kolub Canyons wasn't a bad drive for a morning hike (Taylor Creek Middle Fork Trail), and then we continued to Cedar Breaks NM and Bryce by the evening.

I'd stay closer to Zion on the days you want to spend there, spend more time in the park versus traveling. Daylight is still on the shorter side, and there is so much to see there, especially if you like to hike.

RM
Last edited by Random Musings on Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ

tooluser

Post by tooluser » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:02 pm

I took a day trip there from Las Vegas last Fall. I enjoyed seeing:

Petroglyph Park (near Bloomington Country Club, south outside town), 1472 Navajo Dr
Dixie Sugarloaf / Pioneer Park, 375 Red Hills Pkwy
St George Tabernacle, 18 S. Main Street
St George Utah Temple, 490 South 300 East (Temple & Grounds currently closed for restoration)
Brigham Young Winter Home Historical Site, 67 West 200 North
Ancestor Square (center of town), Corner of Main and St George Blvd (some shops and restaurants)
Kayenta (art colony), 800 North Kayenta Pkwy

All pretty low key; I like natural wonders, history, and community highlights. There may be something more exciting there. The scenery is gorgeous, especially in Pioneer Park and Kayenta. It was almost snowing in St George, and there was lightning and rain on the way back to Vegas. An enchanting day.

kgw

Post by kgw » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:25 pm

We routinely stay at Red Mountain Resort.

Located at the entrance to Snow Canyon state park. Absolutely stunning scenery. They have all inclusive as well as room only packages. Their programs include wonderful, guided morning hikes. The food is excellent as well.

InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:56 pm

+1 for Snow Canyon, Bryce and Zion.

I would add Valley of Fire State Park in Nevada. There's a whole bunch of red rock in all of those places, but it's fascinating to see how they are still different from each other. If you go to Valley of Fire, I'd suggest traveling the spur that heads out from the park's visitor center. The main road is pretty, the spur is gorgeous.

cw35

Post by cw35 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:15 pm

Tuachan amphitheater is a spectacular outdoor venue with red rocks as the backdrop. It appears their plays don’t start until May but there are a few concerts in April. https://utah.com/tuacahn

daheld

Post by daheld » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:54 am

More detail on what you plan to do would be helpful. St. George is a decent drive from Zion. If you're looking to spend a good bit of time in Zion, I would really consider staying in or near Springdale.

Topic Author
Goblue97

Post by Goblue97 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:14 pm

Thanks for the tips so far. To answer some of the questions, we plan on being in the Southern Utah area for 3 full days. We are interested in spending most of our time in the National Parks and open to multiple park visits sites provided we spend at least 1 full day in Zion. We would prefer to stay in comfortable accommodations (not Motel 6) if possible.

phxjcc

Post by phxjcc » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:17 pm

Don't forget Cedar Breaks NM.

Yes, it is "just" a National Monument with short walk to a beautiful view...but WHAT A VIEW !

IIRC, 7000 ft elevation.

It is a great drive and you can do a loop to get to the other parks.

I did VRBO and rented a condo in St George from a nice British lady.

Older, but much better than a hotel.

Random Musings

Post by Random Musings » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:50 pm

Goblue97 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:14 pm
Thanks for the tips so far. To answer some of the questions, we plan on being in the Southern Utah area for 3 full days. We are interested in spending most of our time in the National Parks and open to multiple park visits sites provided we spend at least 1 full day in Zion. We would prefer to stay in comfortable accommodations (not Motel 6) if possible.
For 3 full days in April, I would spend at least one day each in Zion and Bryce, probably the third day in Zion as well because Bryce is still pretty cool (cold) in April. Plan to layer up. I like Cedar Breaks NM, but in April, snow can still be an issue at those elevations. There was still a good big of snow in late June last time when we were there. With three days and a little detour, I would pass. At Bryce, stay at either the cabins they have in the NP or hit a B&B. A full day there both driving and checking out the rim overviews plus a hike of two will be a full day. The temp swings are usually pretty large during the day, so I would plan my hikes in the afternoon.

Zion will be a bit warmer, so I would spend two days there in April. Stay in Springfield, take the shuttle into the main canyon. However, use your car to drive the Mt. Carmel highway. Take that out to Checkerboard Mesa and hike the trail that is right before the tunnel on the return trip. Great views and an easy hike. In the main canyon, lots of hikes to recommend, but some choices depend on how you feel about exposure to heights, let alone trail distance and elevation gain. Others are far easier. Check their website and other sites like All Trails for more details. Also stay up to date on their website for trail closures for planning purposes. I like Kolub Canyons on the NW side, but the higher elevation will make it cooler up there in April, so I'd probably pass on that in April, unless you are into that. I would do it, but not with my family.

RM

Calhoon

Post by Calhoon » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:11 pm

zion is awesome. Been there a couple times and wouldn't mind going back.

Bryce doesn't do anything for me at all, though I suppose you probably have to check it out.

Capitol Reef I liked quite a bit...but mainly because there was one hike that was particularly memorable. Having trouble finding it right now. It was off the main roads. If you were thinking about going there, message me and I could come up with it.

Random Musings

Post by Random Musings » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:20 pm

Calhoon wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:11 pm
zion is awesome. Been there a couple times and wouldn't mind going back.

Bryce doesn't do anything for me at all, though I suppose you probably have to check it out.

Capitol Reef I liked quite a bit...but mainly because there was one hike that was particularly memorable. Having trouble finding it right now. It was off the main roads. If you were thinking about going there, message me and I could come up with it.
There are a lot of great hikes in Capitol Reef from the easy wash hikes to more vertical ones. Crowds were very light in most areas except for the one popular arch hike. However, the drive from Springfield to that park is about double that to Bryce, which is another 3 1/2 hours of driving time round trip. Since we had more time, we drove through Escalante NM from Bryce to to Capitol Reef, that was worthwhile. If the OP ever gets out there again, I highly recommend Capitol Reef, as well as Arches and Canyonlands to the east.

However, I really like Bryce and both Bryce and Zion have some great maintained trails to hike on. Zion is a great park, but the crowds were a big turnoff for our family. We did like Kolub Canyons and our hike there. First time I was in Zion was in 1970, much, much quieter.

With respect to the OP, wonder who the party consists of and what types of activities are they planning to do. For example, Angels Landing is doable for me, but not for many people due to exposure and elevation gain. My wife would never do that. Emerald Pools is far more reasonable for most hikers. The reality is that most people view from the windshield, overlooks and short hikes. With our girls, max individual hikes are usually 5 to 6 miles; they prefer shorter ones to see more eye candy. In most places, once you get a mile down a trail, it thins out pretty quickly. Half Dome, Angels Landing, Delicate Arch, The Narrows and a few others don't, so early starts may help. From my experience, Delicate Arch wasn't bad, mellow crowd once we got there and everyone was polite taking family shots under the arch, but Angels Landing and the Narrows gave me no solitude.

RM

InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:36 pm

phxjcc wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:17 pm
Don't forget Cedar Breaks NM.

Yes, it is "just" a National Monument with short walk to a beautiful view...but WHAT A VIEW !

IIRC, 7000 ft elevation.
I love Cedar Breaks, but it is around 10,000' elevation. In April, Brian Head (nearby) probably won't be open for skiing, but it will cold out on the point
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cedar_Bre ... l_Monument
"Because of its elevation, snow often makes parts of the park inaccessible to vehicles from October through May. Its rim visitor center is open from June through October."

OP, with only three days... Zion for a day, Bryce for a day (elevation is also high, check conditions), then a state park or two. Valley of Fire, Snow Canyon (a smaller park than the first one) or one of the other ones mentioned.

You could add Kodachrome State Park on the Bryce trip - I was there once a long time ago - chased by no-see-ums in the middle of June.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kodachrom ... State_Park

FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:38 pm

Goblue97 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:14 pm
Do you like to hike? Or just see beautiful scenery on a road trip? You could easily spend all 3 days (well, 3 nights) in Zion if you wanted a day to hike Angels Landing and another day to hike the Narrows (flash floods permitting) or another hike. There are very nice hotels that were motels and have since been up scaled right at the park entrance. And a few nice restaurants.

If you want to drive in, do a small walk around to stretch your legs and take photos, but not hike, then the others have made some great suggestions. Adding Bryce is nice. And as you go through st George, drive through Snows Canyon.

Fun facts:

Favorite Dungeons and Dragons author? Dragonlance by Tracy Hickman - St George.

Favorite cellist duo? The Piano Guys, based in St George before stardom.

Enjoy!

InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:32 pm

FoolStreet wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:38 pm

Do you like to hike? Or just see beautiful scenery on a road trip? You could easily spend all 3 days
+1. Or at least two full days at Zion plus your choice of another small trip.

Zion is very popular. It has gone to a bus thru the park system. And it's usually good temps/weather that time of year. Don't wait to make reservations.

RickyAZ

Post by RickyAZ » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:18 am

The road from Bryce to Capitol Reef may be the best drive in America but it's a long way from St George. ZIon and Bryce are doable in 3 days (Zion can get very crowded). Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park is unique and spectacular, about equidistant from Zion and Bryce. There's a Best Western on US 89 between Zion and BRyce that's pretty good. Kanab has some newer hotels now as well. Best Friends Animal Sanctuary outside Kanab is a special place if you want to see something different

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:18 am

InMyDreams wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:32 pm
FoolStreet wrote:

Do you like to hike? Or just see beautiful scenery on a road trip? You could easily spend all 3 days
Zion is very popular. It has gone to a bus thru the park system. And it's usually good temps/weather that time of year. Don't wait to make reservations.
It is beautiful but has become insanely crowded. As a Utah resident, the last 2 times we went it wasn't even enjoyable so we don't even consider it anymore. Literally waiting in lines on the trails.

InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:12 am

stoptothink wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:18 am
It is beautiful but has become insanely crowded. As a Utah resident, the last 2 times we went it wasn't even enjoyable so we don't even consider it anymore. Literally waiting in lines on the trails.
Maybe less so this year? but definitely, NPs in general are more crowded. planning for mid-week trips, off season trips and so on may help to avoid crowds.

April is prime season for Zion.

Random Musings

Post by Random Musings » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:03 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:18 am
InMyDreams wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:32 pm
FoolStreet wrote:

That's why my family liked Capitol Reef more. Quieter crowds, on two trails, we saw only two people. The wash hikes were not even busy, you see some people here and there. Bryce, Arches, Canyonlands and the North Rim Grand Canyon were far more relaxing as well. There is solitude to be found on certain North Rim trails (we had outlooks to ourselves) and surprisingly Bryce trails in June were not busy as we did the more popular trails early. We hiked the Queen's/Wall Street loop a second time later in the day once and that was a big busier. Kolub Canyon in Zion we enjoyed, but the main canyon in Zion that we hit on the loop back to Vegas, although extremely beautiful and one of the best NP's, is way too crowded and was less enjoyable.

RM

InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:34 am

Random Musings wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:03 pm

That's why my family liked Capitol Reef more.
Shhhhhh - stop giving away our secrets....

Random Musings

Post by Random Musings » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:54 pm

InMyDreams wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:34 am
Random Musings wrote:

Words been out for a while. Attendance has ramped up - especially after Utah's big five promotion on the parks. Double edged sword.

IMHO, Capitol Reef has some mini Zion qualities, like in the wash hikes. Not as tall, but the kids enjoyed cramming themselves in those various pockets on the rock walls.

For our family, we rated the big five this way (went in late June):

Top Parks - Bryce, Arches and Capitol Reef.
Good Parks - Canyonlands (Island in the Sky and Needles). Kolub Canyon section in Zion (quite nice there, I'd go back again) - also Mt Caramel drive.
Way, way, way too crowded - Zion (main canyon).

I'd have to go back to Zion off peak to really enjoy. It is a top park, hence the huge crowds.

RM

FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:20 pm

InMyDreams wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:34 am
Random Musings wrote:

Yeah, in second thought, use social isolation and stay home this spring break. Lol. Kidding (not kidding) but kidding, (I guess?). :-)