Coronavirus: Why Are People Buying Water?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
hirlaw

Coronavirus: Why Are People Buying Water?

Post by hirlaw »

Why are people buying water in preparation for a Coronavirus quarantine? I understand food, toilet paper, etc., but I assume that water will still be on as well as other utilities.
RetiredArtist

Re: Coronavirus: Why Are People Buying Water?

Post by RetiredArtist »

I agree, stockpiling water is not rational. But the water might be needed after earthquake/fire.
jerkstore

Post by jerkstore »

Also curious, I've had this conversation with three people...and I'm still unclear how my tap water won't be working during an outbreak.
DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva »

That's what people do when there's bad news... they buy water. :|
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

hirlaw wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:33 am Why are people buying water in preparation for a Coronavirus quarantine? I understand food, toilet paper, etc., but I assume that water will still be on as well as other utilities.
Because they don't know any better?
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
beehivehave

Post by beehivehave »

Maybe they have plenty of other supplies, they don't want to go to the store just to buy water and they drink a lot of it.
Otherwise, I don't get it.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

I imagine it goes like this: there are so many sick people, or people are afraid to go out of their homes, that the workers at the water co don’t show up and the water stops flowing. Pretty irrational, but everyone should have water for emergencies anyway. Probably more rational than the masks, at least there is no shortage.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Sarcasm setting is at 90% Cooper.

Because we must do something to face this coming apocalypse. Whether it actually makes sense is irrelevant. We must act and act now.

The local Sam’s was out of Charmin this morning. We are a red bear family. The thought of using another brand has shaken us to the core of our being.

I am done now. :wink:
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

Kenkat wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:51 am Sarcasm setting is at 90% Cooper.

Because we must do something to face this coming apocalypse. Whether it actually makes sense is irrelevant. We must act and act now.

The local Sam’s was out of Charmin this morning. We are a red bear family. The thought of using another brand has shaken us to the core of our being.

Yet another reason to get a bidet.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Most people also have 50 gallons of emergency water in their home water heater.

Having some emergency water is not a bad idea at any time since you might need to leave your home but it is likely mostly just instinct.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

During Y2K, the rule that I personally followed was that I was willing to take actions I wasn't sure were necessary, provided that they were cheap, easy, and would not represent a total waste if Y2K turned out to be nothing.

Very likely people have been reminded that their general emergency preparations aren't what FEMA says everyone should have.

Personally, I have a few eight-gallon water jugs, which so far I've never used. It's been five years since I emptied them, refilled them, and put in whatever amount of bleach (I cut out a FEMA recommendation and taped it to the outside of the jug). Hey, it's probably time to do it again, why not?
mhalley wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:47 am I imagine it goes like this: there are so many sick people, or people are afraid to go out of their homes, that the workers at the water co don’t show up and the water stops flowing. Pretty irrational, but everyone should have water for emergencies anyway. Probably more rational than the masks, at least there is no shortage.
Or an electricity outage and the electric company isn't as fast as usual restoring it. Because, as I learned during the 1965 Northeast power blackout, almost everyone has an electric toilet. When the power goes out, there's enough water in water towers, standpipes, and rooftop cisterns for a day or so, but eventually, without electricity, nothing happens when you turn the handle.
Last edited by nisiprius on Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

hirlaw wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:33 am Why are people buying water in preparation for a Coronavirus quarantine? I understand food, toilet paper, etc., but I assume that water will still be on as well as other utilities.
Well if people normally buy water at the store and they assume they will not being going out in public to shop then it makes sense to stockpile any non-perishables they regularly purchase at the store including water. Personally, my stockpile would include Jolly Ranchers.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

People also let the food in their refrigerator spoil when the power goes out in winter....

... and its 20F outside. :oops:

"people" do dumb things. A person might be smart but the crowd.... not so much...
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Sarcasm aside, this is exactly why people are buying water.
TheDDC

Post by TheDDC »

I dub this event the 2020 "Dumbpocalypse". Silly how the markets have to pay for the stupidity and/or irrationality of humanity, but something had to bring us a good buy opportunity of course. Just look no further than the supermarkets before a snowstorm.

-TheDDC
Rules to wealth building: 90-100% VTSAX piled high and deep, 0-10% VIGAX tilt, 0% given away to banks, minimize amount given to medical-industrial complex
psteinx

Post by psteinx »

I bought water.

I think I am mostly rational, at least about this particular issue.

===

It cost me about $4 for ~24 bottles of water, and we have plenty of storage space. We usually buy and use some of this kind of water anyways, in the summer, so it's not really wasted if unneeded, just bought a little early.

Is it LIKELY that we'll lose regular water supply? Nah. But is it possible? Yeah sure. Not just thinking about the median estimate for Covid-19 impact, but the 90% or the 99% case. Yes, I understand that we have various other ways to access water (including hot water heater). But again, laying in some extra water was nearly "free" for us. Also told my wife to buy a bit of extra dried rice and pasta (more than we normally keep around, but we go through this), and she bought some extra cleaning supplies, and will probably stockpile some extra TP on next store run. ~90% of this stuff will likely be used up, over time, before going bad, if Coronavirus amounts to next to nothing. But if it's really bad, and we're stuck in the house for 3+ weeks, maybe with one or more of us ill, it will be useful to have around.

For a viewpoint on Coronavirus from a pretty solid blogger who mostly explicitly aims for rationality, and links to fairly "rational" cases for some prepping, see https://slatestarcodex.com/2020/03/02/c ... en-thread/
Last edited by psteinx on Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PVW

Post by PVW »

hirlaw wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:33 am Why are people buying water in preparation for a Coronavirus quarantine?
Because everyone else is buying water and if I don't get some, then I won't have some.
AJS

Post by AJS »

TheTimeLord wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:06 pm
Well if people normally buy water at the store and they assume they will not being going out in public to shop then it makes sense to stockpile any non-perishables they regularly purchase at the store including water. Personally, my stockpile would include Jolly Ranchers.
Exactly! You beat me to the response.
The sea was angry that day my friends...
Regattamom

Post by Regattamom »

I think partly it's because people are also revisiting emergency supplies at a time like this. Where I live, you should have emergency water on hand for earthquake preparedness. And if you have to leave your home, you can't use the water in your water heater.
RetiredArtist

Post by RetiredArtist »

RetiredArtist wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:40 am I agree, stockpiling water is not rational. But the water might be needed after earthquake/fire.
Edited to add- our tap water is high quality, which is not always the case.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

My main question is why they climb on shelves for toilet paper. It's good to have, but way down on my list of emergency items.
M.Lee

Post by M.Lee »

RetiredArtist wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:38 pm
RetiredArtist wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:40 am I agree, stockpiling water is not rational. But the water might be needed after earthquake/fire.
Edited to add- our tap water is high quality, which is not always the case.
For some people it is because their water has so much chlorine in it that it tastes badly. I have well water and a friend of mine fills ups his jugs here frequently because water in his town is poor.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Luke Duke wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:57 am

Yet another reason to get a bidet.
But then you need more water
A Goldman Sachs associate provided a variety of detailed explanations, but then offered a caveat, “If I’m being dead-### honest, though, nobody knows what’s really going on.”
psteinx

Post by psteinx »

Keep in mind that getting and dying of Coronavirus is not a purely chance based outcome. You don't just draw your lottery ticket, and if it comes out bad, you're dead.

Rather, in a severe pandemic, you have some control over:

1) Your exposure to other people - how often you have to leave the house, and especially visit crowded locations (like stores)
2) Your general precautions (hand washing and the like)
3) Your general physical health (if your body is stressed)
4) Your ability to treat yourself and/or others (your family) without visiting a hospital, that could be filled with very sick people. Obviously, go the hospital if you need it and the hospital can treat you. But I'm guessing there are a lot of (milder) cases where home rest is preferred. Having some/all of the provisions you need, for yourself and/or others (healthy or sick) in your house already makes this more practical.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

OP,

Risk versus reward.

1) How long can you last without drinking water? Not long.

2) How much it costs to store and buy some drinking water? Minimal.

Plus, you have option to go somewhere else without water supplies if necessary.

It is perfectly rational.

KlangFool
LawProf

Post by LawProf »

Alternative question: why not buy water?
treypar

Post by treypar »

I bought some water because my spouse told me to buy it. We use several bottles a day so it will get used.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

For emergency preparedness, I always have some bottled water on hand as a backup as well as bleach, food, paper goods, meds and first aid items. I keep reasonable quantities that we use up & replace during the normal course of household operations.

I expect that my tap water will still flow. But I don’t know if people are needed by my water supply company to maintain and test the water sanitization. If they do, there could be issues if water supply employees were unable or unwilling to report to work in an extended emergency.
Last edited by HomeStretch on Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
psteinx

Post by psteinx »

(emphasis added)

Not everyone shares your assumptions.

Remember, median/most likely case is not the same as worst case...
JediMisty

Post by JediMisty »

Speaking for myself, I bought gatorade and water along with other provisions. If I'm housing a sick friend or family member, I'd like to bring them food and water and leave them at the door to minimize exposure to the illness. I also bought paper plates and plastic utensils for the same reason. I've worked in "isolation" areas in the past, and understand how tough it is to sanitize items coming out of the "hot zone". When Ebola was rearing it's ugly head, I bought an extra trash can for "medical waste" and wrote up a plan to don and doff Tyvek clothing and printed it out for my housemates. I also have a plan for where a contagious person would stay - my master suite. I also have a full-faced mask and filters - those masks (N95) are most helpful to keep a contagious person from sneezing on you, not to keep a healthy person from getting a virus - which is smaller than the mask openings.

I've started avoiding movies theaters but am still going to the grocery store and restaurants and vacationing at the end of the month - via ATL, so there's that. I suspect the virus is more widespread than we realize since there are almost no tests available and mild cases won't be reported. It's not unlikely it's already "in the community" in lots of areas, after all 80% of people that they know got it had mild symptoms.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

KlangFool wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:51 pm OP,

Risk versus reward.

KlangFool
And what is the chance the region you are in will run out of water because of a glorified flu? Zero.
Worst case, there is a river in the forest couple of miles behind my house. I am pretty sure I can drink from it.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

JediMisty wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:06 pm Speaking for myself, I bought gatorade and water along with other provisions. If I'm housing a sick friend or family member, I'd like to bring them food and water and leave them at the door to minimize exposure to the illness. I also bought paper plates and plastic utensils for the same reason. I've worked in "isolation" areas in the past, and understand how tough it is to sanitize items coming out of the "hot zone". When Ebola was rearing it's ugly head, I bought an extra trash can for "medical waste" and wrote up a plan to don and doff Tyvek clothing and printed it out for my housemates. I also have a plan for where a contagious person would stay - my master suite. I also have a full-faced mask and filters - those masks (N95) are most helpful to keep a contagious person from sneezing on you, not to keep a healthy person from getting a virus - which is smaller than the mask openings.

I've started avoiding movies theaters but am still going to the grocery store and restaurants and vacationing at the end of the month - via ATL, so there's that. I suspect the virus is more widespread than we realize since there are almost no tests available and mild cases won't be reported. It's not unlikely it's already "in the community" in lots of areas, after all 80% of people that they know got it had mild symptoms.
Sheldon? Sheldon Cooper, is that you?
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

mhalley wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:47 am I imagine it goes like this: there are so many sick people, or people are afraid to go out of their homes, that the workers at the water co don’t show up and the water stops flowing.
Composting toilets, anyone?
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
camillus

Post by camillus »

Luke Duke wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:57 amYet another reason to get a bidet.
That's what I was going to say. The ultimate survival tool.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

treypar wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:03 pm I bought some water because my spouse told me to buy it.
That's the best reason by far.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

Starfish wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:10 pm

Risk versus reward.

KlangFool
And what is the chance the region you are in will run out of water because of a glorified flu? Zero.
Worst case, there is a river in the forest couple of miles behind my house. I am pretty sure I can drink from it.

I think I have a handle on it. Hypothetically, let’s say 70% of the utility workers are sick. A bad storm rips through. It is springtime so not out of the question right? In theory it’s going to take a lot longer than usual to get the utilities back up and running again. Not everyone is as enthused about drinking toilet tank water or dirty creek water as some members of this forum.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

Yes, it is irrational. We have friends and family in China that have been locked down for weeks.

They have plenty of water and food, and in fact can go out for groceries fairly regularly. They are not working in lockdown mode, so their companies are definitely impacted.

Water would be one of my least concerns with this.
Last edited by ClevrChico on Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal »

Starfish wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:12 pm
JediMisty wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:06 pm Speaking for myself, I bought gatorade and water along with other provisions. If I'm housing a sick friend or family member, I'd like to bring them food and water and leave them at the door to minimize exposure to the illness. I also bought paper plates and plastic utensils for the same reason. I've worked in "isolation" areas in the past, and understand how tough it is to sanitize items coming out of the "hot zone". When Ebola was rearing it's ugly head, I bought an extra trash can for "medical waste" and wrote up a plan to don and doff Tyvek clothing and printed it out for my housemates. I also have a plan for where a contagious person would stay - my master suite. I also have a full-faced mask and filters - those masks (N95) are most helpful to keep a contagious person from sneezing on you, not to keep a healthy person from getting a virus - which is smaller than the mask openings.

Sheldon? Sheldon Cooper, is that you?
:mrgreen: Love it.
"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen." Mark Twain
J45

Post by J45 »

Shared craziness :D
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

JonnyDVM wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:16 pm

Risk versus reward.

KlangFool

I think I have a handle on it. Hypothetically, let’s say 70% of the utility workers are sick. A bad storm rips through. It is springtime so not out of the question right? In theory it’s going to take a lot longer than usual to get the utilities back up and running again. Not everyone is as enthused about drinking toilet tank water or dirty creek water as some members of this forum.
If storing water is your thing, go for it, but don't forget the guns and ammunition to defend it! But that plywood wall are not good enough, are they? You might need a bunker.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

Starfish wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:25 pm

Risk versus reward.

KlangFool

If storing water is your thing, go for it, but don't forget the guns and ammunition to defend it! But that plywood wall are not good enough, are they? You might need a bunker.
The gun is for taking my neighbors toilet water when my supply runs out
beehivehave

Post by beehivehave »

Risk versus reward.

KlangFool

Don't forget the land mines and the moat with alligators. That virus doesn't stand a chance.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

beehivehave wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:28 pm

Risk versus reward.

KlangFool

Don't forget the land mines and the moat with alligators. That virus doesn't stand a chance.
Those are for preventing people from coming after MY toilet water
Orbuculum Nongata

Post by Orbuculum Nongata »

Exactly. We must do something. With Costco’s current special on cases of Guinness and bottles of Kirkland Irish whiskey I just had to do something. After all, the water may soon be gone.
I think I can > I believe I can > I did
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

Risk versus reward.

KlangFool
<< I am pretty sure I can drink from it.>>

Why do I want/need to bet on the river water just to save a few dollars on water? It is your choice to save a few dollars on drinking water. That does not look very rational to me.

<<And what is the chance the region you are in will run out of water because of a glorified flu? Zero.>>

Why do you assume that I may stay where I am?

It is very simple.

For a few dollars, I can be prepared. I do not have to assume anything. As for others, why is it rational to assume a lot of stuff just to save a few dollars on drinking water?

KlangFool
Mactheriverrat
Location: Works on the Mississippi River on the barges. Live's in Little Rock, AR.

Post by Mactheriverrat »

Just wait until someone starts marketing bottled air-
Hmmmm!
The way people buy junk just these days and then ends up in a storage shed or a off site storage shed that one pays for.
Maybe I'm on to something and I can becomes rich beyond my wildest dreams . I can invest all the profits the boglehead way and never worry again.
Everything evolves. | May Every Sunrise Bring You Hope. May Every Sunset Bring you Peace.
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

camillus wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:14 pm
Luke Duke wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:57 amYet another reason to get a bidet.
That's what I was going to say. The ultimate survival tool.
I have a tree in my back yard. And a shovel. My toiletry needs are taken care of.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Don't forget to stockpile bread, eggs and milk.

To make French toast, of course.

If you're properly prepared, you will already have the cinnamon, nutmeg and sugar on hand.

Also, mini-bottles of Jack Daniels will be excellent for barter during the zombie apocalypse.
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Even at it’s worst, I wouldn’t expect the water to go out during a pandemic, but we do keep water for earthquakes.

Some people buy water anyway, and if they’re stocking up to shelter in place, I would expect them to buy extra water.

We did buy extra coffee beans. In the apocalypse, I want to be well caffeinated.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

beehivehave wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:28 pm

Risk versus reward.

KlangFool

That stockpiled water is in case you need to refill the moat!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.