How Do you Exercise Indoors?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Think

Re: How Do you Exercise Indoors?

Post by Think »

Great thread. My take is spending on keeping your body in good shape is worth every penny. If a Peleton does that for some folks, that’s great. I use a belt driven stationary bike (Amazon). Coupled with an iPad (no larger than 11 inch) - it is a fantastic combo. You need to be easily able to hold the iPad while you are riding - it works amazingly well.

No joke, I can ride 60, 90 minutes and with the distraction of the iPad, almost forget I’m excercising.

Highly recommend this approach (all in cost - bike and iPad - less than $500).

Also, Peleton bikes are pretty heavy, a simple belt driven bike on Amazon is light, maneuverable.

Good luck BHs.
Think

Post by Think »

Great thread. My take is spending on keeping your body in good shape is worth every penny. If a Peleton does that for some folks, that’s great. I use a belt driven stationary bike (Amazon). Coupled with an iPad (no larger than 11 inch) - it is a fantastic combo. You need to be easily able to hold the iPad while you are riding - it works amazingly well.

No joke, I can ride 60, 90 minutes and with the distraction of the iPad, almost forget I’m excercising.

Also, Peleton bikes are pretty heavy, a simple belt driven bike on Amazon is light, maneuverable.

Good luck BHs.
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

I have a New Balance 9.0e Elliptical I bought about 15 years ago. Family used it, but my job was extremely physical so me not so much. After I retired I decided I needed to get on it for 1 hour a day. Hip & back issues do not hinder me on it as other forms of exercise do. Like another poster stated, I have a 32 inch tv, roku stick, & sound bar to entertain me. I look forward to it rather than dread, I feel great after doing it. Arms & abs get worked too. Wife thinks we need to sell it if we downsize to a community that has a fitness room. But I like my private workouts.
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
TonyDAntonio

Post by TonyDAntonio »

Ride my bike on an indoor trainer.
100 push ups per day on homemade push up things.
Do some strength and stretch moves on my homemade TRX strap thingy hung in the garage.

Cheap and easy.
mancich

Post by mancich »

In our basement: Weight training with barbells and dumbbells, done in a circuit training fashion to keep the heart rate up while lifting. Also have a treadmill. We have a TV down there to stream Netflix, etc. Works well for us
OnceARunner

Post by OnceARunner »

Ornery Old Guy wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:31 pm
buckeye7983 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:05 pm Heard an interview with the Peloton CEO. He said they are not an exercise equipment company. They are a social media company similar to Facebook and the target audience is millenials who prefer the social aspects of their company. Subscription model is important for ongoing revenue stream.
I don't think their target is millennial though. They are expensive. Oh I think of millennials as relatively fresh out of college. Is that true? I don't know. I think the real target is probably adults a little before middle age, middle age, and after, who have money to spend on it and are motivated to get in shape.
The oldest millennials are now 38 and the youngest are 24. Most of that cohort is pretty well into their careers. Generation Z is what a lot of news organizations and headline writers mistakenly mean when they refer to millennials these days.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

I despair at the thought of exercising alone in my house. Fortunately 90% of my exercise is in the form of racquet sports or group classes so I have to go out to the gym and love doing so. But given the current Corona virus situation this tread is useful and informative, may need to break down and get an exercise bike for the next 12 months.
forgeblast

Post by forgeblast »

We have a cycleops older spin bike (1200 new got it for 100 on marketplace), we us that to warm pu 10-20 mins, then normally hit our rower. We have the C2, best one out there holds it value, great work out. I am really impressed with it.
Throw in some kettle bells and you have a great work out.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Ornery Old Guy wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:48 pm
Puretaxableindexer wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:38 pm
fishmonger wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:56 pm Agree that a rowing machine is my go to cardio machine.

For the life of me, I don't get the Peloton market. Unless you are a serious cyclist, people should step back and realize they are spending $3k on an exercise bike, that also requires a $500/year for a subscription. I've outfitted everything I would ever need for a garage gym - power rack, rowing machine, full dumbbell set 5-50 lbs, 315 lbs Olympic weight set, trap bar, and too many other misc items to list for well under $3k
Agreed. I think it's a status symbol so they can tell their friends they have a Peloton. I'll take my Schwinn weighted flywheel for $400 and invest the remaining $2600 into VT.
When I was considering purchasing one I asked a friend what he thinks. He said come to my house and check it out. I had no idea he had one. I asked another friend (because it's an expensive purchase) what he thought. He said come to my house and check it out. I had no idea he had one. It turns out around a dozen people I know have them and I never knew. I would bet no one - like no one - buys a Peloton to tell people they have one. It is an amazing motivational workout. Talk with people who have one. They universally love them. And they don't tell people they have one to be big shots. IT's just a great company and a great machine.
This. I've had one since November 2018, and except for in threads like this, I've only acknowledged the fact to two people, both of whom ride regularly but not on a Peloton (one outdoors, one at a gym), and only because it specifically came up in conversation. I needed something that was going to work for me, that I could stick with. Cycling is definitely my thing, but we tried a $600 Airdyne, and after 5 years it probably had less than 3 hours on it. So when my wife suggested that I get a Peloton bike, I was extremely skeptical. I spent probably 2 months researching before I was able to convince myself that the class experience, metrics, leaderboard, and achievements--basically gamification--would work for me. So we took the plunge in November of 2018.

Fast forward to today, and literally the only day in the past 15 months I haven't taken a class is 12/31/18, so today marked my 423rd consecutive day. I rode 5,535 miles last year (actually more than that because metrics aren't recorded for rides on hotel bikes while I was travelling), and 970 miles so far in 2020. As of yesterday, I've spent 50 hours working out YTD. Like a previous poster, I have taken strongly to Power Zone training, and have seen my Threshold Power (maximum output I can sustain over a long period) increase by 135%. I will be taking my 500th ride next week. This is from someone who never got any regular exercise previously beyond walking the dog, and would not have been sustainable for me if I had just gotten a quality spin bike and watched movies.

So yes, it can be a great thing. But it has to be a good fit for you, and you have to commit and just do it. For me, that routine is waking up early and getting my ride in first thing, then showering, eating breakfast, and walking the dog before heading to work. That works for me. It might not work for you.

But it absolutely isn't a status or "look at me" thing.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

I prefer to get my cardio outdoors if at all possible. But you don't need a machine for cardio - essentially anything that gets you moving will suffice. Main problem is staving off boredom.

I have a rogue fitness RML-3 squat rack with spotter arms and 365lbs of bumper plates at home. It's a supplement to my regular gym.
Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson »

"Our three short workout videos will get your heart pumping and give you a full-body workout without a trip to the gym."
Do you have six minutes to spare? Then you can do a workout.

I know that six minutes of exercise doesn’t seem like much. You might wonder: Is it even worth my time? The answer is yes! We created this workout with Chris Jordan, Director of Exercise Physiology at Johnson & Johnson Human Performance Institute and creator of the widely-known 7 Minute Workout. His research shows that even very small amounts of exercise, when carried out with intensity, can reap big fitness rewards.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/18/well ... rkout.html
Arlington2019

Post by Arlington2019 »

For many, many years, my indoor exercise has been courtesy of a Schwinn AirDyne and a Concept II-C rowing machine. I have them set up in my home office in front of the TV. In the morning, I am generally watching episodes of 'Modern Marvels' as I am on the machines. As mentioned above, find something you will stick with.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

I had kids in rowing, for their club, I had to buy a machine made by a company called Concept. I also had to buy something called power tower and a dumbbell set. I've been using those and feel it's comparable to what I would get in any gym. Plus I do pushups, situps, and stretches 3 to 4 times a week. I will say the rowing machine can be pretty brutal, if you try to improve your times. The Concept is a well built machine, my kids use it daily, sometimes for hours between them, it has never had an issue. All this was around a $2K cost, but that pales in comparison to what two shells and rowing quarterly membership costs, and the travel for this sport.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Ornery Old Guy wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:58 pm
stoptothink wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:55 pm
TallBoy29er wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:20 pm

So far....It's a hit, for both of us. For those saying the main benefit is the social aspect, I would disagree. That is certainly one of the aspects, as you can do live classes with others, but there is much more. DW loves the HIIT workouts. I am typically an endurance rider. The Peloton has the concept of power zone rides, which I love. I'd be glad to expound, but for the sake of not writing a novel, will not here. There are also other apps included....yoga, meditation, stretching, etc.
There are literally thousands of different workouts online, for free. As someone who is a scientific researcher in this space, every new trend totally confuses me, but almost all of them come down to the social aspect and there is a lot of recent research supporting the idea that socializing is a huge factor in whether or not a large swathe of the population will consistently exercise. There is nothing wrong with it, but it isn't a factor for me.
Really it comes down to:
You need resistance exercise.
You need cardio.
You will only do it if you enjoy it so...
You need something you like to do.
The third factor is the hardest to get in. So find something that's a fun workout for you and do it most days. Cross train of course. For a lot of us, Peloton is SO FUN!!!
But I think the most important factor is - find a routine that's fun for you. If it's not fun you won't do it. THEN figure out what to buy.
I am screwed then. I like to read in a comfy chair.
Frank Grimes

Post by Frank Grimes »

Timely thread! I'm on my second week of using a rowing machine nightly. I have been running weekends for cardio but I wanted to add more during the week for heart health. I am lousy about getting up early to run before work. Plus spouse wants to exercise more and we needed convenience with work schedules and kids.

We got a cheap Stamina rower that seems to work pretty well (uses magnetic resistance) and I have set it up in front of the TV to go at it in the evenings for a half hour/2ish mile pace on varying resistance levels. I like that it engages a lot more muscle groups than running - my upper and lower back, glutes/hams, abs and upper arms all feel the burn to some extent so I think there will be some toning benefits. And they're different than the running muscles so it seems like it'll be good complementary training.

Plus when I get into the last 10 mins or so at that pace it gets the heart moving so there's some cardio work, but it's a bit lower intensity/lower impact so I feel comfortable doing it 30 mins after dinner as opposed to running on a full stomach. I'm not sure how it compares calorically to running, the purported calorie counter on the cheap rower's computer is unusable, but I'd guess it's a little lower.

I'm still in the honeymoon phase with it, but so far we are big fans. I can definitely see us upgrading to a Concept rower in the future should this one start to break down.
Topic Author
ruanddu

Post by ruanddu »

Thanks, Think. Can you share what model you got on Amazon?
Think wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:27 am Great thread. My take is spending on keeping your body in good shape is worth every penny. If a Peleton does that for some folks, that’s great. I use a belt driven stationary bike (Amazon). Coupled with an iPad (no larger than 11 inch) - it is a fantastic combo. You need to be easily able to hold the iPad while you are riding - it works amazingly well.

Good luck BHs.
friar1610

Post by friar1610 »

Not a problem - just read a fitness book! :beer
Friar1610 | 50-ish/50-ish - a satisficer, not a maximizer
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

This night be helpful to avoid over fatigue, slow recovery, etc.
Especially if one is a bit "driven" or ambitious as many bogleheads might be.

A recent comment from one of my doctors when we were going over my fitness/rehab routine and weekly activity schedule:

Doc: "Often, the question is not how much more can I do or how to restructure what fitness activities I do, but rather to "avoid inactivity".

Doc: "The body needs time to recover and rebuild, simply avoiding inactivity gives it time to do that. More is not more or better."

Thus. . . all things in moderation. . . including moderation. . :confused

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Michael Patrick

Post by Michael Patrick »

I alternate between running and lifting weights, doing each every other day.

I prefer to run outside, but I live in Wisconsin so for a good chunk of the year I'm confined to running indoors. I have a treadmill in my basement, and generally spend thirty minutes every other day running. Whether I'm running indoors or outdoors, I don't like distractions so I don't listen to music or look at an iPad. My wife thinks doing so is terribly boring, but I kind of look forward to it as a time to clear my head.

I don't have room for any fancy machines or even a weight bar. I have a bench and a bunch of dumbells. The bench can incline and decline. Not looking to be Hulk Hogan, just trying to maintain muscle tone.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

For people with the space, a rower gives you a great indoor workout. I have this one:
https://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/model-d

I also have a bench and set for free weights in my basement (cheap spin lock dumbbells and plates).

Even though I have a free gym at work, I find with young kids, its much more convenient to workout at home at night after they have gone to bed.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

It's not about what you choose. It's about what you use.

People have provided lots of viable answers. The critical part is finding the one that you can incorporate into your life.

The advantage that home gym equipment has over the actual gym is that it is much more convenient, and it eliminates excuses for not exercising. The disadvantage is that you may not have someone to make the excuses to, for why you didn't show up at the gym.

You need to put the equipment somewhere that it will remind you daily to use it. A living room is better than the basement. If you must put it in the basement, put a cue (reminder item) in a common area so that you will go to it.

The equipment/exercise needs to be fun, something that you like doing. This will depend on your personality. I have high recommendations for the Concept II rower with interactive rowing software. It sounds like you're attracted to the Peleton. There are no wrong answers, unless it turns into an expensive clothes rack.

You need to use the equipment regularly, even if it's just for a minute. The habit of using the equipment is more important that the workout you get. If you use it for a minute, you'll do a full workout when you have time. But if you only work out for a minute, it's so convenient and trivial you have no excuse to skip.

It's also important to measure your results, to keep you going back.
barreg

Post by barreg »

During the winter months, it's usually on my road bike which is on a (Kurt Kinetic) trainer. Will only do the treadmill if there's ice on the roads because it's boring as hell. Have a big ass fan pointed at myself on the bike or treadmill and Netflix/Amazon via a TV on the wall. Also, swim several days a week at the local high school indoor pool.
craigers

Post by craigers »

A Concept2 model D rowing machine gives, by far, the best indoor cardio workout. There are many third party apps which connect to the machine over Bluetooth and give guided workouts like Peloton.

Checkout the TeamRegatta app..

https://www.teamregatta.com/
praxis

Post by praxis »

When I'm in my hometown, I use my gym membership because nothing beats taking an exercise class for me. I alternate between weight training and a cardio/core class every day at 8am for 1 hour.

But when we are away for 4 months each summer, I manage a 15 minute workout by myself in an carpeted room with a chair. Over the years I have added a doorway pull up bar and some hand weights. Here's my routine. I use my phone's timer and do 60 seconds each:

jumping jacks
push ups
lunges
plank jacks
V presses
squat jumps
skaters
dips
airplanes
side planks
pull ups
bicep & tricep curls
shoulder presses

I try to get in a 1 to 2 mile walk too.
timboktoo

Post by timboktoo »

Here is my daily exercise routine:
  • Do 40 pushups (20 in the morning, 20 in the afternoon)
  • Do plank for 1 minute.
  • Get at least 10,000 steps. If it's not raining outside, then I walk outdoors. If it is raining, then I walk around my house in circles or walk on a really cheap treadmill I bought used from someone at work.
- Tim
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
bad1bill

Post by bad1bill »

Good for you for wanting to get going on an exercise program! You don't need a big investment to get started.

I have, and use regularly, a rowing machine, a ski machine and the go-to is an old bike on a mag trainer with a bookholder mounted on the handlebars; I read magazines, the paper or watch videos etc. on a tablet. Use these only in the winter or on crappy days. I like using a heart rate monitor to ensure I'm not slacking off.

In spring, summer and fall I really prefer mountain biking or road biking. I also love to play a round of golf and walk 5+ miles. In winter, I ski whenever I can get up into the mountains. There seems to be ample evidence that weight-bearing exercise is needed to prevent osteoporosis and promote bone health so I try to do something on my feet (use the ski machine even in the summer for 10 minutes or so; it also helps my knees).

I can certainly see the appeal of the Peleton; I know someone who loves Zwift too. I think, however, it's very important to get a well-rounded exercise regimen going to keep ALL body parts functional so keep that in mind.....
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

I play pickleball for 3 hours, 3 days per week.
The other 4 days, I walk 10,000 steps.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

My goal with indoor exercise now is to stay in shape for outside hiking, traveling/walking THUS I have a treadmill versus an exercise bike or rowing machine. Keeps all the appropriate muscles in shapes. I don't bike outside so why go with a Peleton that would work those muscles - rather work my walking muscles. Use a heavy incline and sometimes wear a backpack to increase intensity (and walk at a fast pace).
When I travel I oftentimes use elliptical machines in the hotel fitness rooms but honestly a good old treadmill just seems more natural to me.

In addition to a Treadmill I also have a weight bench and dumbbells at home. Mix in some planks and other floor exercises and I feel I am all set.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

My goal with indoor exercise now is to stay in shape for outside hiking, traveling/walking THUS I have a treadmill versus an exercise bike or rowing machine. Keeps all the appropriate muscles in shapes. I don't bike outside so why go with a Peleton that would work those muscles - rather work my walking muscles. Use a heavy incline and sometimes wear a backpack to increase intensity (and walk at a fast pace).
When I travel I oftentimes use elliptical machines in the hotel fitness rooms but honestly a good old treadmill just seems more natural to me.

In addition to a Treadmill I also have a weight bench and dumbbells at home. Mix in some planks and other floor exercises and I feel I am all set.
sawhorse

Post by sawhorse »

Back when I was physically healthy, I did exercise videos. I did yoga, aerobics, dance workout, and more. It never required more than the most basic equipment like a mat and light weights.

Cleaning can also burn off a large number of calories.
scotthal

Post by scotthal »

NordicTrack Pro XC ski machine; bought one new 40 years back, wore out a few bits (brake pads (twice), oak staves:'skis'), replaced (Goodwill, $20). Typically put in multiple 15min+ sessions per day during the rainy season.
Growtch, grinch; paranoid contrarian
Rajsx

Post by Rajsx »

Great thread OP,

Lots of good Information here

Thanks
retire14

Post by retire14 »

I would pay for a month of membership at a local club then try everything to see what you like and is likely to stick with, then buy similar equipment from Craigslist. I exercise regularly and my order of preference is stair master, elliptical, treadmill, rowing, stationary bike. So if I was going to buy one for home, it will be a stairmaster. For you it maybe something else.
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

On occasion, I use dumbbells, bodyweight exercises, and jumping rope at home as a substitute for going to the gym
Chrono Triggered

Post by Chrono Triggered »

I have an adjustable bench, adjustable dumbbells that go from 10lbs to 90lb, a pull up bar, and a Concept 2 rower in my spare bedroom. The only thing I can't do at home are barbell squats and dead lifts.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I have a Nautilus exercise bike and some powerblock 90's purchased from a hippie on Craigslist. The whole setup cost less than the display on a Peloton. Most of the time I go to the gym or go hiking in the woods or hunting, even in the deep snow and Neptunian weather.
StrawMan

Post by StrawMan »

I have a stationary trainer for my bike, and a concept rower - both of those are great. But I prefer free weights, and I have a power rack for that.
baritone

Post by baritone »

sailaway wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:27 pm You put the right foot in, you put the right foot out...
I have a T-shirt that says "What if the Hokey-Pokey Really is What It's All About?"
bgwilli

Post by bgwilli »

A great alternative to the Peloton is a good spin cycle with downloaded spin classes. This is our setup:

Sole SB700 spin bike (https://www.soletreadmills.com/bikes/sb700-sole-bike). Have had for 5 years with regular use; great value for $700, as good as a club cycle.

Spin classes downloaded from Studio Sweat Online (https://www.studiosweatondemand.com/). This is a smaller workout studio out of California that posts its workouts online. There is a subscription plan, but also a single class download option, about $8 per class. You can download a class then burn it to a DVD or sync it to a phone/tablet (I add it to iTunes and it syncs to my video library). For ~$100 you can have a dozen great classes.

For under $1000 this is a great option to get a great quality spin bike and avoid monthly fees.
davebo

Post by davebo »

For the last several years, I've just ran and lifted weights. I have joined gyms, but find I'm most consistent when I'm working out at home. I have a treadmill in the basement that probably cost $2500 or so, but I've had it for close to 12 years and still works great. I recently spent roughly $450 on a new rack and weights and I've been using it consistently 3x per week.

I consider the peleton to be very overpriced, but if it's in your budget then I'm sure it's a good user experience.
dru808

Post by dru808 »

All calisthenics for me, a variety of pushups, dips, pull-ups and pistol squats. We have a pull-up/dip station and my wife’s elliptical in the garage.
1 fund
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

Age 66....walk 5 miles (at a good pace) 5 days a week...takes me bout 1.0 hr. to complete 5 miles. We're Wisconsinites so even if it's -10 below...…..just dress appropriately.

DW (age 64) and I workout at gym (various weight lifting machines) 1.0 - 1.5 hours, 3 days a week......Works for us....we've been able to keep our weight in check...(now that the holiday seasons have passed)…….:sharebeer
CppCoder

Post by CppCoder »

I have a Concept 2 model D rower, their skierg, and their bikeerg. I hit my first million meters on the rower a few years ago and my millionth bike meter today (hooray...second free million meter T-shirt in the mail). I'm at about 1/2 million meters on the skierg. The skierg is absolutely brutal cardio, and being in general cardio shape from other activities just doesn't seem to be the same as skierg cardio shape. I think it's that I'm just not used to upper body driven cardio, which seems to tax my system differently than lower body driven cardio. All three are great exercise, and rotating between them keeps me from getting bored.

In addition to getting rock solid equipment at a reasonable price, I like that the Concept 2 equipment tracks all of my exercise metrics very accurately, I like their online logbook, and I like their challenges. Why all three? I started with the rower, and it was too much on my body five days a week. I then bought the skierg to complement the rower (anterior chain instead of posterior chain), and that fixed my soreness problem. I bought the bikeerg when it came out just because. I found the bikeerg seat uncomfortable, so I swapped it out for my Specialized road saddle, and I put spd pedals on it to not tear up my carpet with my road cleats.

I'd recommend any or all of these pieces of equipment, but unless you just like pushing yourself hard and watching meters scroll by on an LCD screen, you need to complement these machines with additional entertainment. I listen to music.
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

I thought that was what the bedroom was for. Otherwise I prefer to exercise outdoors.
I also play music and dance in the house. I like music.

edit: exercise for the activity you enjoy by doing that activity.
Retired 2019. So far, so good. I want to wake up every morning. But I want to die in my sleep. Just another conundrum. I think the solution might be afternoon naps ;)
Ornery Old Guy

Post by Ornery Old Guy »

lazydavid wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:41 am
Ornery Old Guy wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:48 pm
Puretaxableindexer wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:38 pm
fishmonger wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:56 pm Agree that a rowing machine is my go to cardio machine.

For the life of me, I don't get the Peloton market. Unless you are a serious cyclist, people should step back and realize they are spending $3k on an exercise bike, that also requires a $500/year for a subscription. I've outfitted everything I would ever need for a garage gym - power rack, rowing machine, full dumbbell set 5-50 lbs, 315 lbs Olympic weight set, trap bar, and too many other misc items to list for well under $3k
Agreed. I think it's a status symbol so they can tell their friends they have a Peloton. I'll take my Schwinn weighted flywheel for $400 and invest the remaining $2600 into VT.
When I was considering purchasing one I asked a friend what he thinks. He said come to my house and check it out. I had no idea he had one. I asked another friend (because it's an expensive purchase) what he thought. He said come to my house and check it out. I had no idea he had one. It turns out around a dozen people I know have them and I never knew. I would bet no one - like no one - buys a Peloton to tell people they have one. It is an amazing motivational workout. Talk with people who have one. They universally love them. And they don't tell people they have one to be big shots. IT's just a great company and a great machine.
This. I've had one since November 2018, and except for in threads like this, I've only acknowledged the fact to two people, both of whom ride regularly but not on a Peloton (one outdoors, one at a gym), and only because it specifically came up in conversation. I needed something that was going to work for me, that I could stick with. Cycling is definitely my thing, but we tried a $600 Airdyne, and after 5 years it probably had less than 3 hours on it. So when my wife suggested that I get a Peloton bike, I was extremely skeptical. I spent probably 2 months researching before I was able to convince myself that the class experience, metrics, leaderboard, and achievements--basically gamification--would work for me. So we took the plunge in November of 2018.

Fast forward to today, and literally the only day in the past 15 months I haven't taken a class is 12/31/18, so today marked my 423rd consecutive day. I rode 5,535 miles last year (actually more than that because metrics aren't recorded for rides on hotel bikes while I was travelling), and 970 miles so far in 2020. As of yesterday, I've spent 50 hours working out YTD. Like a previous poster, I have taken strongly to Power Zone training, and have seen my Threshold Power (maximum output I can sustain over a long period) increase by 135%. I will be taking my 500th ride next week. This is from someone who never got any regular exercise previously beyond walking the dog, and would not have been sustainable for me if I had just gotten a quality spin bike and watched movies.

So yes, it can be a great thing. But it has to be a good fit for you, and you have to commit and just do it. For me, that routine is waking up early and getting my ride in first thing, then showering, eating breakfast, and walking the dog before heading to work. That works for me. It might not work for you.

But it absolutely isn't a status or "look at me" thing.
I don't know anyone who thinks of it as a status or look at me thing. Everyone I know who has one finds it functional. What is your LB? I'm #Lovechesed. Friend me!
Ornery Old Guy

Post by Ornery Old Guy »

Dottie57 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:52 am
Ornery Old Guy wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:58 pm
stoptothink wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:55 pm

So far....It's a hit, for both of us. For those saying the main benefit is the social aspect, I would disagree. That is certainly one of the aspects, as you can do live classes with others, but there is much more. DW loves the HIIT workouts. I am typically an endurance rider. The Peloton has the concept of power zone rides, which I love. I'd be glad to expound, but for the sake of not writing a novel, will not here. There are also other apps included....yoga, meditation, stretching, etc.
There are literally thousands of different workouts online, for free. As someone who is a scientific researcher in this space, every new trend totally confuses me, but almost all of them come down to the social aspect and there is a lot of recent research supporting the idea that socializing is a huge factor in whether or not a large swathe of the population will consistently exercise. There is nothing wrong with it, but it isn't a factor for me.
Really it comes down to:
You need resistance exercise.
You need cardio.
You will only do it if you enjoy it so...
You need something you like to do.
The third factor is the hardest to get in. So find something that's a fun workout for you and do it most days. Cross train of course. For a lot of us, Peloton is SO FUN!!!
But I think the most important factor is - find a routine that's fun for you. If it's not fun you won't do it. THEN figure out what to buy.
Me too! So get a Peloton, ride it for 20 or 30 minutes then read in a comfy chair with a feeling of accomplishment!
Ornery Old Guy

Post by Ornery Old Guy »

sawhorse wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:29 pm Back when I was physically healthy, I did exercise videos. I did yoga, aerobics, dance workout, and more. It never required more than the most basic equipment like a mat and light weights.

I'll give you my address if you want to come and burn off a large number of calories.
Ornery Old Guy

Post by Ornery Old Guy »

sawhorse wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:29 pm Back when I was physically healthy, I did exercise videos. I did yoga, aerobics, dance workout, and more. It never required more than the most basic equipment like a mat and light weights.

I just realized my comment above may be misinterpreted. I was of course referring to your cleaning comment.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Ornery Old Guy wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:46 pm I don't know anyone who thinks of it as a status or look at me thing. Everyone I know who has one finds it functional. What is your LB? I'm #Lovechesed. Friend me!
We're already friended. :) But I just changed my LB name to ScotchNeat.