Coronavirus (Consumer Issues) How you are preparing?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
JHU ALmuni

Re: Coronavirus (Consumer Issues) How you are preparing?

Post by JHU ALmuni »

As far as I know ~16000 dies every year from regular flu, that's way more than Corona virus, so I'm not doing anything at this point the numbers still on the low side in terms of affected people and deaths. :beer
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

fru-gal wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:04 am I'm really not going crazy about this. On the one hand federal officials are sounding scary alarms, on the other hand 34 people in the US out of 300,000,000 are infected.
Do you think that the number of new infections in the U.S. has already peaked?
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
softwaregeek

Post by softwaregeek »

With this virus, all it takes is one guy in the crowd to make it uncontrollable.

Examples:
Iranian deputy health minister gets the disease, gives press conference and coughs (This happened)
Iranian district mayor in Teheran gets the disease, goes to Friday prayers with 10,000 other people packed in on prayer rugs, then shakes constituents hands for a while (rumored to have happened.)

Or, guy has the disease from wherever, takes the subway from JFK at rush hour. Coughs a lot.

At that point, it's all over. Korea is out of control but they know where to start, because they have the church membership list. Once someone gets on a subway and spreads it, it can't be contained.

Don't get me started on what happens in a third world megacity. Do you know what it's like in an Indian city at rush hour? One sniff of this on the Mumbai metro and it's all over.
Voltaire2.0

Post by Voltaire2.0 »

I prepare by laughing at the people wearing plastic gloves and masks in parks and other public places.
Cognitive_Squeeze

Post by Cognitive_Squeeze »

I am doing absolutely nothing, it doesn't merit any special treatment. This shows misinformation and fear spreads fast, it's absurd and laughable. It's more dangerous to eat a cheeseburger (heart disease) or a doughnut (diabetes).
It's quite a beautiful experiment on society to see how people become so anxious and fearful. Behavioral economics can be applied to anything.
"Check ID" is my actual signature.
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

Tico_75 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:04 pm I am doing absolutely nothing, it doesn't merit any special treatment. This shows misinformation and fear spreads fast, it's absurd and laughable. It's more dangerous to eat a cheeseburger (heart disease) or a doughnut (diabetes).
It's quite a beautiful experiment on society to see how people become so anxious and fearful. Behavioral economics can be applied to anything.
Same here. This too will pass, much like SARS did.
Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 »

willthrill81 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:58 am
fru-gal wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:04 am I'm really not going crazy about this. On the one hand federal officials are sounding scary alarms, on the other hand 34 people in the US out of 300,000,000 are infected.
Do you think that the number of new infections in the U.S. has already peaked?
i don’t believe so. A Map of verified cases up in the United States , including those who recovered, can be found at the link Below, as compiled by John Hopkins. These include those who recovered but of course not the number of individuals exposed to those people.
. There have been 57 confirmed cases in the United States. A group in New York state has just gone into voluntary quarantine and tests are being administered..

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps ... 7b48e9ecf6
Last edited by Jackson12 on Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beehivehave

Post by beehivehave »

fru-gal wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:04 am
Toons wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:31 pm As of Now
Nothing 😎
On the one hand federal officials are sounding scary alarms, on the other hand 34 people in the US out of 300,000,000 are infected.
It's good CDC is doing its job, which is to be extra cautious and try to get ahead of any possible pandemic. The worst you can say is that if their efforts are necessary and successful, we may never know it.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

I've dedicated part of a basement room to stock on consumer goods. (Nothing too crazy.) A lot of China is in "hunker down" mode, and I can see that happening here too. I can foresee us telecommuting and even home schooling if it gets too bad.

I am not optimistic about this year.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

sunny_socal wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:18 pm
Tico_75 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:04 pm I am doing absolutely nothing, it doesn't merit any special treatment. This shows misinformation and fear spreads fast, it's absurd and laughable. It's more dangerous to eat a cheeseburger (heart disease) or a doughnut (diabetes).
I don't think anyone doubts that. The question is how many will pass before it does.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Voltaire2.0 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:02 pm I prepare by laughing at the people wearing plastic gloves and masks in parks and other public places.
I looked into the masks a bit and what I learned is that the masks really aren’t all that effective in preventing you from getting a disease. The masks are best at preventing an already infected person properly wearing a mask from transmitting the disease by trapping cough / sneeze droplets in the mask. So I’ve decided to skip the masks for now but will avoid people who are wearing them because they could be sick.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

It wouldn't break my heart if the CDC's efforts become a non-event. That would be a wonderful outcome for us.

Time will tell. The inconveniences those in quarantine are experiencing might yield a great pay off, and keep the virus at bay here. Or, it might turn out all of the efforts were ineffectual in preventing the spread.

I think the activities thus far have been prudent, but, even now we honestly don't know if these attempts will be successful.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
kksmom

Post by kksmom »

beehivehave wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:38 pm
It's good CDC is doing its job, which is to be extra cautious and try to get ahead of any possible pandemic. The worst you can say is that if their efforts are necessary and successful, we may never know it.
South Korea, Singapore have done more testing in a week than we have done here, so far
The diagnostic test is not widely available here.
The testing guidelines at hospital levels, restrict clinicians testing only symptomatic people, who have been to /have travel link to china or exposure to known patient.

If you cant measure it, ...
oxothuk

Post by oxothuk »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:02 pm The inconveniences those in quarantine are experiencing might yield a great pay off, and keep the virus at bay here. Or, it might turn out all of the efforts were ineffectual in preventing the spread.
If nothing else, the quarantines are DELAYING the spread to the US, which buys time to gain understanding about modes of transmission and most effective treatments.
Cognitive_Squeeze

Post by Cognitive_Squeeze »

willthrill81 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:56 pm
sunny_socal wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:18 pm
I don't think anyone doubts that. The question is how many will pass before it does.
Stuff happens, not a big deal. The media brainwashes people through confirmation bias.
"Check ID" is my actual signature.
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

ClevrChico wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:50 pm I've dedicated part of a basement room to stock on consumer goods. (Nothing too crazy.) A lot of China is in "hunker down" mode, and I can see that happening here too. I can foresee us telecommuting and even home schooling if it gets too bad.

I am not optimistic about this year.
This is where it gets somewhat interesting.

01.30.20 - Hong Kong schools, kindergartens closed until at least March 2 as coronavirus fears grow, three universities take similar action
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/edu ... arch-china

02.13.20 - Coronavirus: Hong Kong government to extend school closures until March 16, and keep civil servants at home for another week
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/edu ... l-closures

02.25.20 - Coronavirus: Hong Kong schools to remain closed until after Easter (April 20) but university entrance exams set to go ahead as planned in March
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/edu ... ond-easter

The school closure situation in Hong Kong has gone from bad to worse. I'm not sure what parents do to prepare for something like that if they can't telecommute (assuming that they aren't at home already).
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
softwaregeek

Post by softwaregeek »

Frankly, if it becomes epidemic it may be impossible to prepare for it.

If this is a grinding, multi-month event in the US, like it is in China, the economy will crater. There are millions of people in this country who *need* to work in order to eat. I could hunker down for months, telecommute etc. But your average delivery guy, uber driver, waiter etc. doesn't have that option and probably doesn't have the financial cushion.

We haven't though through all the implications of this yet.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

No matter how this turns out, supply chains are already impacted. So, even if the US is able to avoid having the virus affect a large number of people, we will be affected via shortages of parts sourced from China.

Hopefully this event will cause major corporations to rethink their supply chains. I'm sure a lot of discussions are taking place concerning some companies decisions of where their parts are sourced. Good time to do a deep dive to address this issue's affect on their ability to get the parts they need to keep their plants humming along.

Saving a nickel might be a great idea, until you can no longer pump your products out your door due to shortages.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
Paul78

Post by Paul78 »

softwaregeek wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:03 pm Frankly, if it becomes epidemic it may be impossible to prepare for it.

If this is a grinding, multi-month event in the US, like it is in China, the economy will crater. There are millions of people in this country who *need* to work in order to eat. I could hunker down for months, telecommute etc. But your average delivery guy, uber driver, waiter etc. doesn't have that option and probably doesn't have the financial cushion.

Yeah this isn't an earthquake or a military attack. I mean even absolute worse case scenario I have a hard time seeing things just "shutting down" (ie no access to clean water, power, food, ect). Even if, in America, 200 million get infected, 20 million require hospitalization, and 4 million die I don't see things coming to a complete stand still. The hospitals will be overwhelmed and we could well have a global rescission but it is not the end of days or anything.
Irisheyes

Post by Irisheyes »

Paul78 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:25 pm
softwaregeek wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:03 pm Frankly, if it becomes epidemic it may be impossible to prepare for it.

Yeah this isn't an earthquake or a military attack. I mean even absolute worse case scenario I have a hard time seeing things just "shutting down" (ie no access to clean water, power, food, ect). Even if, in America, 200 million get infected, 20 million require hospitalization, and 4 million die I don't see things coming to a complete stand still. The hospitals will be overwhelmed and we could well have a global rescission but it is not the end of days or anything.
Unless of course, you're one of the 4 million... :?
MP173

Post by MP173 »

I have not read the entire thread, but like a few others on this page, this is affecting the supply chain from Asia.

This could be a big deal...a very big deal. I am talking about economically.

Regarding the illness, I have no idea. Based on a conversation with my physician (a Chinese native btw) I am not too concerned. Her feelings were that it would be controlled. In fact she indicated this is the 3rd outbreak since 2000.

My son is in 3PL and indicates the amount of freight moving from west coast is "dead". So much of our economy is based on importing of goods on 40 ft containers. Perhaps this will be a wake up call for us to shorten those supply chains.

ed
Jablean

Post by Jablean »

soundwave wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:35 am
bob60014 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:58 pm I don't understand the panic peddling that is occurring. Common sense is more important than stocking up, which makes no sense whatsoever, especially regarding the masks. Wash your hands frequently, do not shake hands with others and cover your mouth when coughing. All basic stuff.
And please, cough & sneeze into your inner elbow rather than into your hand. Always.
Best is kleenex, wrap it, bin it (ie trash can), wash. Elbow just puts all your germs on your clothes for you to run around with and into things. Now if it's the only option then yes as far as droplets go.
Paul78

Post by Paul78 »

Irisheyes wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:30 pm

Unless of course, you're one of the 4 million... :?
Well yes. And if you are in a high risk group it might make sense to really isolate yourself and take extra precautions. But if you are one of the majority of American's there is really not much to do other than take standard precautions. I mean you could be unlucky get the dx and die (even if healthy and not elderly) but you could also get cancer, have a heart attack, get in a car accident, ect. You don't just shut down your life just because there is a risk. You do what you can and play the odds.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

softwaregeek wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:56 am With this virus, all it takes is one guy in the crowd to make it uncontrollable.

Examples:
Iranian deputy health minister gets the disease, gives press conference and coughs (This happened)
Iranian district mayor in Teheran gets the disease, goes to Friday prayers with 10,000 other people packed in on prayer rugs, then shakes constituents hands for a while (rumored to have happened.)

Or, guy has the disease from wherever, takes the subway from JFK at rush hour. Coughs a lot.

At that point, it's all over. Korea is out of control but they know where to start, because they have the church membership list. Once someone gets on a subway and spreads it, it can't be contained.

Don't get me started on what happens in a third world megacity. Do you know what it's like in an Indian city at rush hour? One sniff of this on the Mumbai metro and it's all over.
Please do get started. Is Mumbai in somewhere cold? Does this virus spread effectively and equally in different climate?
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

MP173 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:41 pm I have not read the entire thread, but like a few others on this page, this is affecting the supply chain from Asia.

This could be a big deal...a very big deal. I am talking about economically.

Regarding the illness, I have no idea. Based on a conversation with my physician (a Chinese native btw) I am not too concerned. Her feelings were that it would be controlled. In fact she indicated this is the 3rd outbreak since 2000.

My son is in 3PL and indicates the amount of freight moving from west coast is "dead". So much of our economy is based on importing of goods on 40 ft containers. Perhaps this will be a wake up call for us to shorten those supply chains.

ed
"3PL" would be... ??? Perhaps a location on the west coast?

Do share!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Acronym decoder: Third-party logistics
Third-party logistics (abbreviated as 3PL, or TPL) in logistics and supply chain management is an organization's use of third-party businesses to outsource elements of its distribution, warehousing, and fulfillment services.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Finridge

Post by Finridge »

MP173 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:41 pm
Based on a conversation with my physician (a Chinese native btw) I am not too concerned. Her feelings were that it would be controlled. In fact she indicated this is the 3rd outbreak since 2000.

How long ago was this conversation? I'm guess it was probably over a week ago, because any reasonable chances of containing COVID-19 within China have long since passed.

I'd trust the CDC on this:

""Ultimately, we expect we will see community spread in this country," Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the CDC's National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, told reporters.

"It's not so much a question of if this will happen anymore, but rather more of a question of exactly when this will happen and how many people in this country will have severe illness," she said.

"We are asking the American public to work with us to prepare in the expectation that this could be bad," she said."

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates/co ... 020-02-25/
Seasonal

Post by Seasonal »

MP173 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:41 pm
Based on a conversation with my physician (a Chinese native btw) I am not too concerned. Her feelings were that it would be controlled. In fact she indicated this is the 3rd outbreak since 2000.

Most physicians are not epidemiologists, even though many like to think they are experts in this.
Finridge

Post by Finridge »

You state that it isn't an earthquake or military attack, but then go on to describe a scenario of 4 million deaths in the U.S. (which is a plausible scenario given the current data). But to put this in perspective, if it kills 4 million Americans, that will be more (a LOT more) than ALL Americans killed by ALL earthquakes and in ALL wars in our entire 244 year history!
Naismith

Post by Naismith »

Voltaire2.0 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:02 pm I prepare by laughing at the people wearing plastic gloves and masks in parks and other public places.
Not everyone dressed up is unrealistically paranoid. Has it occurred to you that perhaps such people are trying to protect you, despite your rudeness to them.

I was in Hong Kong on Monday, Singapore the week before.

Now we are home in Florida and haven't gone out in two days, but even next week when we have to leave the house, we will be avoiding crowds and wearing protective gear to keep from possibly infecting anyone else. And I would gear up like that for a trip to the doctor if it became necessary.

So maybe it isn't so yuckety-yuck after all.

[edited to be a bit more polite]
Last edited by Naismith on Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

This thread got me thinking earlier in the day. So, I sat down and ordered about $350 worth of staples that we always use, just buying ahead and storing them for the time being, so as not to be used. I included food, cleaning and disinfecting products, and meds. And 90 minutes later, Costco had it delivered to my front door. That. Blows. My. Mind.
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

VictoriaF wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:44 pm
Finridge wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:55 pm A summaryof some of the CDC positions on masks/respirators I am seeing:

For professionals seeing COVID-19 patients - they'd like to see these people in full protective gear: Googles, N95 respirators, gloves, gowns. ...
Googles are good, but Goggles are better,

Victoria
Practicing the stand-up routine? :D
aqan

Post by aqan »

Any idea where to purchase the face masks? The pharmacies around me are all sold out. Will be calling the medical stores tomorrow but I’m not holding my breath.
Teague

Post by Teague »

aqan wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:40 pm Will be calling the medical stores tomorrow but I’m not holding my breath.
Victoria, got room in your act for a partner? :happy
Semper Augustus
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

aqan wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:40 pm Any idea where to purchase the face masks? The pharmacies around me are all sold out. Will be calling the medical stores tomorrow but I’m not holding my breath.
Uh, if you did hold your breath, you wouldn't need a mask! :shock:

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
RubyTuesday

Post by RubyTuesday »

aqan wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:40 pm Any idea where to purchase the face masks? The pharmacies around me are all sold out. Will be calling the medical stores tomorrow but I’m not holding my breath.
YMMV, and not recommending masks, but there were n95 respirators in stock at a local hardware store. By local, I mean a store in downtown area of mid sized midwestern city that was founded 100+ years ago. Not the Lowe’s or Home Depot. I assume the patrons are tradespeople doing serious sanding not preppers.
“Doing nothing is better than being busy doing nothing.” – Lao Tzu
birdy

Post by birdy »

I have a 21 day cruise to South America booked for 3/2/20. I am still going. I was on the same ship last January to Antarctica. Every public space in the ship had a hand sanitizer station (and they had crew there to make sure you used it). They also had hand sanitizer when boarding and at every port getting off and on. My cruise company has sent me 2 emails about extra physical testing (taking temps) and if you are refused boarding they refund everything back to you. They encourage "fist bumps" only instead of shaking hands. They say they will be doing extra cleaning during the trip. I intend to have a great time and take normal precautions.

birdy
kksmom

Post by kksmom »

kksmom wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:14 pm
beehivehave wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:38 pm
South Korea, Singapore have done more testing in a week than we have done here, so far
The diagnostic test is not widely available here.
The testing guidelines at hospital levels, restrict clinicians testing only symptomatic people, who have been to /have travel link to china or exposure to known patient.

If you cant measure it, ...
With regard to the "new" case at UC Davis

According to the letter, the patient was transferred to the hospital on Feb. 19.

"When the patient arrived, the patient had already been intubated, was on a ventilator, and given droplet protection orders because of an undiagnosed and suspected viral condition," the letter said. "Since the patient arrived with a suspected viral infection, our care teams have been taking the proper infection prevention (contact droplet) precautions during the patient’s stay."

The team at UC Davis Medical Center asked public health officials if the case could be the novel coronavirus and requested testing by the CDC. At this time, neither Sacramento County nor CDPH are doing coronavirus testing.

"Since the patient did not fit the existing CDC criteria for COVID-19, a test was not immediately administered. UC Davis Health does not control the testing process," the letter said.

The CDC ordered the coronavirus test on Sunday, put on airborne precautions and strict contact precautions "because of our concerns about the patient’s condition." The letter said the CDC confirmed Wednesday the patient's coronavirus test came back positive.

The CDC said the case was confirmed through the public health system in Northern California -- picked up by "astute clinicians."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/1st-c ... r-BB10rBiQ

So based on the article, at this facility from 19-23, the patient doesnt appear to have been on airborne precautions.
If the pathogen can indeed spread rapidly via the airborne route and in absence of airborne precautions, the health care providers and other patients have been exposed.

Part of current day medicine, when a clinician taking care of patient cant decide whether a diagnostic test needs to be done, and someone who is not directly involved in the patients care, get to make that decision.
Finridge

Post by Finridge »

So it turns out that the Department of Homeland Security has a web page providing guidance for pandemics, and this was last updated 2/5/2020.

https://www.ready.gov/pandemic

"Before a Pandemic
- Store a two week supply of water and food.
- Periodically check your regular prescription drugs to ensure a continuous supply in your home.
- Have any nonprescription drugs and other health supplies on hand, including pain relievers, stomach remedies, cough and cold medicines, fluids with electrolytes, and vitamins.
- Get copies and maintain electronic versions of health records from doctors, hospitals, pharmacies and other sources and store them, for personal reference. Get help accessing electronic health records.
- Talk with family members and loved ones about how they would be cared for if they got sick, or what will be needed to care for them in your home.

During a Pandemic
Limit the Spread of Germs and Prevent Infection

- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- When you are sick, keep your distance from others to protect them from getting sick too.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing. It may prevent those around you from getting sick.
- Washing your hands often will help protect you from germs.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth.
- Practice other good health habits. Get plenty of sleep, be physically active, manage your stress, drink plenty of fluids, and eat nutritious food."
softwaregeek

Post by softwaregeek »

Finridge wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:54 pm

You state that it isn't an earthquake or military attack, but then go on to describe a scenario of 4 million deaths in the U.S. (which is a plausible scenario given the current data). But to put this in perspective, if it kills 4 million Americans, that will be more (a LOT more) than ALL Americans killed by ALL earthquakes and in ALL wars in our entire 244 year history!
Well, on the other hand it would solve the social security solvency problem.
aqan

Post by aqan »

Teague wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:45 pm
aqan wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:40 pm Will be calling the medical stores tomorrow but I’m not holding my breath.
Umm don’t know what that means.
harvestbook

Post by harvestbook »

Bought a hand well pump and drying some deer jerky behind the wood stove, getting garden plants started in the window. We could probably make it two years with what we have on hand, assuming the garden produces and the electrical grid is functioning. If it's worse than that, I'm not sure any kind of preparation will help.

Our best preparation is we already live in the kind of neighborhood where we all take care of one another.
I'm not smart enough to know, and I can't afford to guess.
GeoffD

Post by GeoffD »

aqan wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:07 am
Teague wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:45 pm
Umm don’t know what that means.
Looking for N95 breathing mask, “not holding my breath”. A joke isn’t funny if you have to explain it, I guess.
CULater

Post by CULater »

I'm telling everyone to get their pneumonia vaccines up to date. There are two vaccines for pneumonia that protect against different types of the infection. PCV13 helps protect people from 13 of the most severe types of bacteria that cause pneumonia. PPSV23 protects against an additional 23 types of pneumonia bacteria. I figure that many of the people who die from virus infections such as this or the flu actually die from complications such as pneumonia.
On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Agree - I think we have lost containment of the virus at this point. Expect things to get very bad in the next few months. Most people have not thought through how a pandemic will play out - especially in regard to access to any type of medical resource/assistance, which at some point mid-pandemic will be entirely overwhelmed. As always the better prepared will fare better on average then folks who are currently scoffing at the situation. They scoffers usually turn into the people in full on panic mode at some stage.
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

RubyTuesday wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:34 am
YMMV, and not recommending masks, but there were n95 respirators in stock at a local hardware store. By local, I mean a store in downtown area of mid sized midwestern city that was founded 100+ years ago. Not the Lowe’s or Home Depot. I assume the patrons are tradespeople doing serious sanding not preppers.
I bought N95 masks in the past on Amazon, a few years ago when I was putting together "go-bags" (in response to news articles around the time of one or more hurricanes). Home Depot stocks them as well (and likely places like Lowes, some hardware stores and some drugstores). Of course, trying to buy the masks today at any of these places won't be so easy given increased demand.

While I'm no expert on the topic, based on what I've read the masks don't make sense to wear at present for the "average person" who is healthy. Also, my understanding is that if someone is going to wear a mask it's probably just as important that they use it properly. That apparently means not touching or adjusting the mask, which seems easier said than done in the few videos or photos I've come across of "normal" people wearing masks. Also, removing and disposing of the mask properly would be crucial.
ponyboy

Post by ponyboy »

Corona will not take decades to kill you, like your example of a cheeseburger and doughnuts. The more you know!
cusetownusa

Post by cusetownusa »

JHU ALmuni wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:53 am As far as I know ~16000 dies every year from regular flu, that's way more than Corona virus, so I'm not doing anything at this point the numbers still on the low side in terms of affected people and deaths. :beer
actually over 60,000 people world wide have died from the flu so far this year.
Paul78

Post by Paul78 »

softwaregeek wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:27 am
Well, on the other hand it would solve the social security solvency problem.
[/quote]

But that would be 4 million deaths over 6mths to 2 years (however long it last). Plus, not to be crude, but the majority of those deaths will be people already out of the work force. In the case of war a civilian attack affects all people equally and combat takes the life of young mean and women. Same with a major earthquake in California (everyone would be affected and power/water would go out).

Again I believe this could be terrible for the world economy and bad (well duh) for those that succumb to the disease but I don't see a shut down coming of the basic resources (food, water, power).
Finridge

Post by Finridge »

ponyboy wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:33 am
Corona will not take decades to kill you, like your example of a cheeseburger and doughnuts. The more you know!

We often talk about the time value of money. But I never thought we'd see a discussion about the time value of life! I would have thought that would have been intuitively obvious, and would not see cheeseburgers and doughnuts as being in the same category of risk as that posed by a potentially fatal pathogenic agent. (But at the same time, there is a reason why I don't eat cheeseburgers or doughnuts - there is risk there, and it is easily controlled.)

I do find the different ways people analyze risks to be endlessly fascinating.

I think the main preparation we are taking is to increase the amount of staples--staples that we actually use day to day--on hand so that we can take fewer trips to the stores. And this was something we had wanted to put more attention to anyway (before coronavirus) in order to save time and gas.

Also, we need to revisit and update our health care directives. And again, this was something we meant to do anyway. If you get coronavirus, there is a 20% chance (based on the data) that it will be severe and maybe require hospitalization - and I want to update the list of "agents" that can make decisions if any help is needed with that.