Moving out of US for about 12-14 months : Suggestions requested on storage

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Topic Author
iracks
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:34 pm

Moving out of US for about 12-14 months : Suggestions requested on storage

Post by iracks » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:28 am

Dear folks
Me and my fam are moving out from US for about 12-14 months in next 1-1.5 months.
I have a car (sedan) and few items (furniture, mattress, bed, computer table, computer monitors, gaming monitors, CPU, etc) that i want to keep in storage for this 12-14 months as i'll be moving back to US. I'm considering storage places (Extra Space Storage,etc) for this.

Car is in good condition (it's been 5 years only - 43K miles). Instead of selling, i'm thinking to disconnect the battery, have engine oil newly filled and use car cover while i keep it in the storage. Other items i'm thinking of wrapping them with a plastic cover/ bag.

Wanted to get your thoughts and ideas if any of you has done something like this earlier and also if i'm missing a better option.

Please advise.

Thanks
Iracks.

Jack FFR1846
Posts: 11073
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:05 am
Location: 26 miles, 385 yards west of Copley Square

Re: Moving out of US for about 12-14 months : Suggestions requested on storage

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:32 am

If it were me.....I'd sell all that stuff. Things to put in storage are irreplaceable things that you just can't part with. Gaming system? Come on. I'm going to take a wild guess based on what a friend is paying for storage after selling her house and then her husband dieing....and he was somewhat of a horder. Figure $500 a month. If you get rid of the car, $200 a month.

If you don't take this advice, and you want your stuff when you return, you'll want to insure it, so add that on top of this cost. Even with insurance, be prepared to return to an empty storage unit.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Topic Author
iracks
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:34 pm

Re: Moving out of US for about 12-14 months : Suggestions requested on storage

Post by iracks » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:38 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:32 am
If it were me.....I'd sell all that stuff. Things to put in storage are irreplaceable things that you just can't part with. Gaming system? Come on. I'm going to take a wild guess based on what a friend is paying for storage after selling her house and then her husband dieing....and he was somewhat of a horder. Figure $500 a month. If you get rid of the car, $200 a month.

If you don't take this advice, and you want your stuff when you return, you'll want to insure it, so add that on top of this cost. Even with insurance, be prepared to return to an empty storage unit.
Thank you very much Jack FFR1846 :sharebeer

alaskantraveler
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 12:26 pm

Re: Moving out of US for about 12-14 months : Suggestions requested on storage

Post by alaskantraveler » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:24 am

Not sure what what your car is worth, but it being only 5 years old, I would expect $1500 -$2500 worth of depreciation to occur over 12-14 months, plus the cost to store it. In my town that is $60 -$80 per month for uncovered storage. Seems like selling it is a better option.

As for storage, medium size storage unit will cost $200-$400/month. When I was younger, my partner and I decided to travel for a year. I bought an old box truck with a 10x20 ft cargo box on the back. I paid $2500. It was old and tired. Filled it with all of our belongings and put it on a storage yard for $80/month. Once we returned and got settled again, We were able to sell the box truck for almost what we paid for it. If it were me, this is the route I would recommend.

quantAndHold
Posts: 3869
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:39 pm

Re: Moving out of US for about 12-14 months : Suggestions requested on storage

Post by quantAndHold » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:54 am

Sell everything that can be sold. The car will depreciate, and you could buy the same type and year of car back after you return for less money than you sold it for. Same with the electronics. Storage is expensive, and it’s probably cheaper to sell furniture and start over than it is to store it. At the most, I would get the smallest, cheapest possible storage unit to store things you just can’t part with, and sell anything that won’t fit in the storage unit.

User avatar
lthenderson
Posts: 4513
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:43 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Moving out of US for about 12-14 months : Suggestions requested on storage

Post by lthenderson » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:01 pm

I would sell the house stuff before moving. Computer stuff and gaming stuff are going to be closer to being obsolete when you return. Furniture is hard to wrap and protect against rodents which infest storage places and the ravages of humidity changes unless you pay up for a climate controlled storage unit. I might be tempted to keep the vehicle but wouldn't pay for storage. I would try to find a friend who would store it or take good care of it while using it during the time I was gone.

halfnine
Posts: 1032
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:48 pm

Re: Moving out of US for about 12-14 months : Suggestions requested on storage

Post by halfnine » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:39 pm

I have done what you have described more than once. Sell your car and electronics. Put the rest of your stuff in storage. It saves the headache of having to repurchase everything when you return. In theory, it would also be great to reduce the excess. However, the reality is you will likely be pressed for time to get everything done before your trip.

User avatar
BolderBoy
Posts: 4643
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:16 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Moving out of US for about 12-14 months : Suggestions requested on storage

Post by BolderBoy » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:47 pm

iracks wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:28 am
Car is in good condition (it's been 5 years only - 43K miles). Instead of selling, i'm thinking to disconnect the battery, have engine oil newly filled and use car cover while i keep it in the storage. Other items i'm thinking of wrapping them with a plastic cover/ bag.
Was the car new when you bought it? What make and model is it?

Unlike the other posters, I'd probably put the car in some sort of storage. You can probably find a rural, self-storage place where you can drive the car into a storage locker for $150/month.

The rest of the stuff you described I would dispose of.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

fru-gal
Posts: 1371
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:48 pm
Location: New England

Re: Moving out of US for about 12-14 months : Suggestions requested on storage

Post by fru-gal » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:52 pm

I had stuff in paul arpin van lines storage for about a year. No car, though, I forget what it cost but it wasn't horrid. They are good people and I have done business with them over the years. Much easier than shopping for stuff again.

I am stunned by the it will be obsolete in a year comments. Consumerism run amok.

phillsimpson
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:06 am

Re: Moving out of US for about 12-14 months : Suggestions requested on storage

Post by phillsimpson » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:10 pm

I've moved internationally a few times, and bluntly the 2 (of 3) times I came back I regretted dealing with all the dusty random stuff in the storage unit. We loaned a car to a family member and sold the other.

One fun tip, if you have status with an airline, many of them (american airlines in this case) will extend your increased baggage limit to your travelling party. Coming back from australia we brought 10 giant bags (samsonite tote a ton bags, filled with clothes) and didn't pay a cent - plus we immediately had access to all the clothes/important kids toys. By our third move we simply each filled 2 big bags with our favorite things. When we sold our stuff on the 3rd move we just put that into a savings account and bought the essentials once we had found a new place to live on our arrival back.

Also, fun fact, if you have an american express card, when you move to many countrys they will transfer your credit limit enabling you to ramp up much faster in that new country (https://www.americanexpress.com/us/cust ... ationship/).

And for us, we just rented a furnished place on arrival, so really didn't need anything besides our clothes and some kid toys.

User avatar
theac
Posts: 311
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:00 am

Re: Moving out of US for about 12-14 months : Suggestions requested on storage

Post by theac » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:41 pm

OP, I did something similar about 14 years ago. But my 1-1/2 years turned into 2-1/2 years. And at that point I only came back to sell everything in storage, except for mostly personal and irreplaceable things, because that 1-1/2 year trip turned out to evolve into my retirement, 8 years earlier than I had thought to retire. And glad it did! :happy

Because my plan had been to return to work after the 1-1/2 year sabbatical, I sold the big bulky stuff that could be repurchased when I return (sofa, bed, etc.). Kept the new fridge, new 52" PROJECTOR TV/DVD SYSTEM :oops: , and a few pieces of furniture.

Also kept my truck so I wouldn't have to go car shopping when I return and could get back in the saddle quickly. Was original owner, still looked and ran like new after like 7 years, so wouldn't want to buy someone else's problem on my return.

Had trouble finding a place to let me store a vehicle inside it (fire risk?), but finally did and was luckily the most reasonable of all prices also! :happy Had about 9 months of planning before my trip, so researched a lot of stuff, such as storage of a car. Here's a list I printed and put on the dash so I'd know what to un-do upon my return. For example, wouldn't want to forget to pull the rag-in-a-plastic bag out of the intake ("carb") when I try to start it, etc.

Here's my list:
10x20 Closed Unit $1368 yr ($114 mo) or $152 single mo
Hours of Operation: Open 7 Days A Week 7:00am-7:30pm
Office Hours Monday-Sunday 9:00am-5:00pm,Saturday 8:30am-5:00pm
1. Plastic under, and drape over, all furniture, etc. TV off ground
2. Armorall in and out—Wash a day before
3. add sta-bil to almost empty gas tank and drive around the block before storing
4. lay out plastic under truck before parking to avoid moisture damage
5. blocks for rear frame, jack stands front, lift MOST weight off tires, don't extend shocks
6. Disconnect battery with doors unlocked—leave wrench/charger handy. Spin off antenna
7. DO NOT LEAVE PARKING BRAKE ON
8. lift wiper blades off glass—put baking soda in cab and shell (mothballs too)
9. Baggie over exhaust pipe / rubber band—stuff rag into intake at filter
10. Spray WD-40 on hinges, locks, etc BUT NOT ON RUBBER
11. Nothing delicate on floorboards—heater core could leak
12. In cab— PC, monitor, camera, printer, scanner, DVD/speakers (plastic bagged)
13. In shell—books, files, clothes, safe,
14. put this sheet on dash for return startup
15. cover with blankets, store light stuff on top of truck, then plastic

I also added about 1 tbsp of "Miracle Oil" into each cylinder then replaced the spark plugs (reduces wear when you restart, dry cylinders).

Upon my return I was very worried the truck might not start at all, ESPECIALLY AFTER 2-1/2 YEARS! And I was going to need it badly to get back on my feet and to start getting my life operational again, so I was very surprised that after putting the charger on the battery (first thing I did when I opened the unit) then going thru my list to prep the truck for the road, it fired right up! THAT WAS A RELIEF. :happy It just smoked a lot for a minute as it burned off that protective oil.

Anyway I sold the truck to the first guy who saw it, and sold or gave away the rest of the stuff I'd no longer needed. Would have sold all that stuff before my trip had I known I wouldn't be returning to my old life, but didn't know that at the time.

On the bright side, I'm glad I eased my way into retirement unknowingly. My original plan had been to "set a date" which was at age 60 when I would get 100% pension. But I think "setting a date to pull the plug" can be a scary way to do it because it's sort of like waiting for your execution and hoping it all works out. Leaves a lot of room for fears and doubts like "Will I have enough...any I doing it too soon...what if...." whereas I slowly realized after about 2 years into my trip, "I'm already retired!" :shock: :D

On a side note, for about a month before I returned I set up and researched all kinds of stuff online, such as insurance on the truck, wrote up adds for things I'd be selling, then put those adds online a few days before I got there so that my cell phone was ringing when I hit the ground. Had planned for 5 weeks to get rid of everything, did it in 3 including a lot of "administrative things" I had to get in order.

So the internet is a great tool for getting things done from a distance, such as doing my tax returns while I was on my trip. Without things like that would have been FORCED to return before the 2-1/2 years. But I had emailed a few years of past returns to myself which came in handy on my extended trip.
Last edited by theac on Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well...and live." Ben Hur...and The Taxman! hahaha

Lalamimi
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:22 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Moving out of US for about 12-14 months : Suggestions requested on storage

Post by Lalamimi » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:45 pm

Not sure of your location, but you would need a climate controlled unit for the furniture. And don't store the car with the other items.

User avatar
theac
Posts: 311
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:00 am

Re: Moving out of US for about 12-14 months : Suggestions requested on storage

Post by theac » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:49 pm

Lalamimi wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:45 pm
Not sure of your location, but you would need a climate controlled unit for the furniture. And don't store the car with the other items.
I was in moderate weather year round, so weather wasn't an issue for me.

But yes, depending on where you live, weather could be a major consideration.
I'm sure a climate-controlled storage unit would cost a lot more.
"We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well...and live." Ben Hur...and The Taxman! hahaha

Topic Author
iracks
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:34 pm

Re: Moving out of US for about 12-14 months : Suggestions requested on storage

Post by iracks » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:42 pm

alaskantraveler wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:24 am
Not sure what what your car is worth, but it being only 5 years old, I would expect $1500 -$2500 worth of depreciation to occur over 12-14 months, plus the cost to store it. In my town that is $60 -$80 per month for uncovered storage. Seems like selling it is a better option.

As for storage, medium size storage unit will cost $200-$400/month. When I was younger, my partner and I decided to travel for a year. I bought an old box truck with a 10x20 ft cargo box on the back. I paid $2500. It was old and tired. Filled it with all of our belongings and put it on a storage yard for $80/month. Once we returned and got settled again, We were able to sell the box truck for almost what we paid for it. If it were me, this is the route I would recommend.
Thank you very much alaskantraveler for your feedback. I'm selling everything that i can and keeping few

Topic Author
iracks
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:34 pm

Re: Moving out of US for about 12-14 months : Suggestions requested on storage

Post by iracks » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:43 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:54 am
Sell everything that can be sold. The car will depreciate, and you could buy the same type and year of car back after you return for less money than you sold it for. Same with the electronics. Storage is expensive, and it’s probably cheaper to sell furniture and start over than it is to store it. At the most, I would get the smallest, cheapest possible storage unit to store things you just can’t part with, and sell anything that won’t fit in the storage unit.
Thank you very much quantAndHold for your feedback. I'm selling everything that i can and keeping few

Topic Author
iracks
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:34 pm

Re: Moving out of US for about 12-14 months : Suggestions requested on storage

Post by iracks » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:43 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:01 pm
I would sell the house stuff before moving. Computer stuff and gaming stuff are going to be closer to being obsolete when you return. Furniture is hard to wrap and protect against rodents which infest storage places and the ravages of humidity changes unless you pay up for a climate controlled storage unit. I might be tempted to keep the vehicle but wouldn't pay for storage. I would try to find a friend who would store it or take good care of it while using it during the time I was gone.
Thank you very much lthenderson for your feedback. I'm selling all that i can and keeping only few

Topic Author
iracks
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:34 pm

Re: Moving out of US for about 12-14 months : Suggestions requested on storage

Post by iracks » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:44 pm

halfnine wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:39 pm
I have done what you have described more than once. Sell your car and electronics. Put the rest of your stuff in storage. It saves the headache of having to repurchase everything when you return. In theory, it would also be great to reduce the excess. However, the reality is you will likely be pressed for time to get everything done before your trip.
Thank you very much halfnine for your feedback. I'm selling all that i can and keeping only few

Topic Author
iracks
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:34 pm

Re: Moving out of US for about 12-14 months : Suggestions requested on storage

Post by iracks » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:45 pm

BolderBoy wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:47 pm
iracks wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:28 am
Car is in good condition (it's been 5 years only - 43K miles). Instead of selling, i'm thinking to disconnect the battery, have engine oil newly filled and use car cover while i keep it in the storage. Other items i'm thinking of wrapping them with a plastic cover/ bag.
Was the car new when you bought it? What make and model is it?

Unlike the other posters, I'd probably put the car in some sort of storage. You can probably find a rural, self-storage place where you can drive the car into a storage locker for $150/month.

The rest of the stuff you described I would dispose of.
Thank you very much BolderBoy for your feedback. I bought the car in 2014 (Honda Accord EX-L sedan). Good condition. However due to the high cost associated with storage, I'm selling all that i can and keeping only few

Topic Author
iracks
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:34 pm

Re: Moving out of US for about 12-14 months : Suggestions requested on storage

Post by iracks » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:46 pm

fru-gal wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:52 pm
I had stuff in paul arpin van lines storage for about a year. No car, though, I forget what it cost but it wasn't horrid. They are good people and I have done business with them over the years. Much easier than shopping for stuff again.

I am stunned by the it will be obsolete in a year comments. Consumerism run amok.
Thank you very much fru-gal for your feedback. I'm selling all that i can and keeping only few. I'm finding a storage unit 5*10 for about 70$

Topic Author
iracks
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:34 pm

Re: Moving out of US for about 12-14 months : Suggestions requested on storage

Post by iracks » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:46 pm

phillsimpson wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:10 pm
I've moved internationally a few times, and bluntly the 2 (of 3) times I came back I regretted dealing with all the dusty random stuff in the storage unit. We loaned a car to a family member and sold the other.

One fun tip, if you have status with an airline, many of them (american airlines in this case) will extend your increased baggage limit to your travelling party. Coming back from australia we brought 10 giant bags (samsonite tote a ton bags, filled with clothes) and didn't pay a cent - plus we immediately had access to all the clothes/important kids toys. By our third move we simply each filled 2 big bags with our favorite things. When we sold our stuff on the 3rd move we just put that into a savings account and bought the essentials once we had found a new place to live on our arrival back.

Also, fun fact, if you have an american express card, when you move to many countrys they will transfer your credit limit enabling you to ramp up much faster in that new country (https://www.americanexpress.com/us/cust ... ationship/).

And for us, we just rented a furnished place on arrival, so really didn't need anything besides our clothes and some kid toys.
Thank you very much phillsimpson for your feedback. I'm selling all that i can and keeping only few. I'm only taking clothes from here and renting a furnished apartment. :)

Topic Author
iracks
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:34 pm

Re: Moving out of US for about 12-14 months : Suggestions requested on storage

Post by iracks » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:47 pm

theac wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:41 pm
OP, I did something similar about 14 years ago. But my 1-1/2 years turned into 2-1/2 years. And at that point I only came back to sell everything in storage, except for mostly personal and irreplaceable things, because that 1-1/2 year trip turned out to evolve into my retirement, 8 years earlier than I had thought to retire. And glad it did! :happy

Because my plan had been to return to work after the 1-1/2 year sabbatical, I sold the big bulky stuff that could be repurchased when I return (sofa, bed, etc.). Kept the new fridge, new 52" PROJECTOR TV/DVD SYSTEM :oops: , and a few pieces of furniture.

Also kept my truck so I wouldn't have to go car shopping when I return and could get back in the saddle quickly. Was original owner, still looked and ran like new after like 7 years, so wouldn't want to buy someone else's problem on my return.

Had trouble finding a place to let me store a vehicle inside it (fire risk?), but finally did and was luckily the most reasonable of all prices also! :happy Had about 9 months of planning before my trip, so researched a lot of stuff, such as storage of a car. Here's a list I printed and put on the dash so I'd know what to un-do upon my return. For example, wouldn't want to forget to pull the rag-in-a-plastic bag out of the intake ("carb") when I try to start it, etc.

Here's my list:
10x20 Closed Unit $1368 yr ($114 mo) or $152 single mo
Hours of Operation: Open 7 Days A Week 7:00am-7:30pm
Office Hours Monday-Sunday 9:00am-5:00pm,Saturday 8:30am-5:00pm
1. Plastic under, and drape over, all furniture, etc. TV off ground
2. Armorall in and out—Wash a day before
3. add sta-bil to almost empty gas tank and drive around the block before storing
4. lay out plastic under truck before parking to avoid moisture damage
5. blocks for rear frame, jack stands front, lift MOST weight off tires, don't extend shocks
6. Disconnect battery with doors unlocked—leave wrench/charger handy. Spin off antenna
7. DO NOT LEAVE PARKING BRAKE ON
8. lift wiper blades off glass—put baking soda in cab and shell (mothballs too)
9. Baggie over exhaust pipe / rubber band—stuff rag into intake at filter
10. Spray WD-40 on hinges, locks, etc BUT NOT ON RUBBER
11. Nothing delicate on floorboards—heater core could leak
12. In cab— PC, monitor, camera, printer, scanner, DVD/speakers (plastic bagged)
13. In shell—books, files, clothes, safe,
14. put this sheet on dash for return startup
15. cover with blankets, store light stuff on top of truck, then plastic

I also added about 1 tbsp of "Miracle Oil" into each cylinder then replaced the spark plugs (reduces wear when you restart, dry cylinders).

Upon my return I was very worried the truck might not start at all, ESPECIALLY AFTER 2-1/2 YEARS! And I was going to need it badly to get back on my feet and to start getting my life operational again, so I was very surprised that after putting the charger on the battery (first thing I did when I opened the unit) then going thru my list to prep the truck for the road, it fired right up! THAT WAS A RELIEF. :happy It just smoked a lot for a minute as it burned off that protective oil.

Anyway I sold the truck to the first guy who saw it, and sold or gave away the rest of the stuff I'd no longer needed. Would have sold all that stuff before my trip had I known I wouldn't be returning to my old life, but didn't know that at the time.

On the bright side, I'm glad I eased my way into retirement unknowingly. My original plan had been to "set a date" which was at age 60 when I would get 100% pension. But I think "setting a date to pull the plug" can be a scary way to do it because it's sort of like waiting for your execution and hoping it all works out. Leaves a lot of room for fears and doubts like "Will I have enough...any I doing it too soon...what if...." whereas I slowly realized after about 2 years into my trip, "I'm already retired!" :shock: :D

On a side note, for about a month before I returned I set up and researched all kinds of stuff online, such as insurance on the truck, wrote up adds for things I'd be selling, then put those adds online a few days before I got there so that my cell phone was ringing when I hit the ground. Had planned for 5 weeks to get rid of everything, did it in 3 including a lot of "administrative things" I had to get in order.

So the internet is a great tool for getting things done from a distance, such as doing my tax returns while I was on my trip. Without things like that would have been FORCED to return before the 2-1/2 years. But I had emailed a few years of past returns to myself which came in handy on my extended trip.
Thank you very much theac for your feedback and for sharing your experience :). I'm selling all that i can and keeping only few

Topic Author
iracks
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:34 pm

Re: Moving out of US for about 12-14 months : Suggestions requested on storage

Post by iracks » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:49 pm

Lalamimi wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:45 pm
Not sure of your location, but you would need a climate controlled unit for the furniture. And don't store the car with the other items.
Thank you very much Lalamimi for your feedback. I reside in NJ so may be better to look for climate controlled unit. I found one which is 5*10 for 70$ a month.I'm selling all that i can and keeping only few

boglegirl
Posts: 314
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:41 pm

Re: Moving out of US for about 12-14 months : Suggestions requested on storage

Post by boglegirl » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:29 am

iracks I'm glad you decided to sell most of your stuff instead of storing it! The only thing I'd add when deciding to sell or store specific items is think about how they'll fare sitting in a storage unit for 18 months. Furniture like a dining table you love will probably be fine, but the sofa, mattress, and other soft goods won't get any fresher sitting in storage. They'll also be possibly subject to vermin (bugs and rodents). I have had stuff ruined in storage, twice, for storage times of less than 9 months. :(

Lalamimi
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:22 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Moving out of US for about 12-14 months : Suggestions requested on storage

Post by Lalamimi » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:36 am

:idea:
iracks wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:49 pm
Lalamimi wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:45 pm
Not sure of your location, but you would need a climate controlled unit for the furniture. And don't store the car with the other items.
Thank you very much Lalamimi for your feedback. I reside in NJ so may be better to look for climate controlled unit. I found one which is 5*10 for 70$ a month.I'm selling all that i can and keeping only few
:happy

fallingeggs
Posts: 81
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:11 am

Re: Moving out of US for about 12-14 months : Suggestions requested on storage

Post by fallingeggs » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:39 pm

I moved out of the US for two years myself (with my wife). Gifted the car to a friend for the time. He paid for insurance and maintenance then gifted it back when I arrived home. Sold as much of our stuff as possible and put the rest (a combo of valuables I didn't want to sell and junk that wouldn't) in a Cube.

On the car front, consider that you'll still want to pay for insurance in addition to storage costs. This could be several hundred dollars. After a year, you are almost always better off just selling the dang thing to Carmax and buying something similar from them when you return. Same goes for your stuff. Get down to a single storage unit and sell what doesn't fit. Cube worked out very nicely given that we moved back to a different location.

Enjoy the feeling of being free from stuff (because it won't last once you return!).

Caduceus
Posts: 2277
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:47 am

Re: Moving out of US for about 12-14 months : Suggestions requested on storage

Post by Caduceus » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:57 pm

You should create micro-climates using plastic boxes for anything that's valuable. An easy way to do this would be to place the items inside an air-tight plastic box and put in some silica gel packets. Not everything can be stored this way - wood can crack if the humidity goes too low. But clothes, metal objects, appliances, etc. all benefit from lower humidity. If you wrap things in plastic, you must find some way to control the moisture, unless the objects are moisture-resistant. Wrapping any paper items (photos, documents, etc.) in plastic is just a recipe for disaster. Place them instead in airtight plastic cases with a couple of packets of silica gel. Don't use too much because silica gel can bring humidity to 0% in a sealed environment.

Climate control doesn't necessarily mean much. I've seen some climate controlled units that were horrendous. Concrete floors with water pipes running along one side of the unit. I think you should just expect climate control to mean that your items will be protected from temperature extremes, and then take any extra protective measures yourself.

scottinmet
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:27 am

Re: Moving out of US for about 12-14 months : Suggestions requested on storage

Post by scottinmet » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:20 pm

theac wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:41 pm
OP, I did something similar about 14 years ago. But my 1-1/2 years turned into 2-1/2 years. And at that point I only came back to sell everything in storage, except for mostly personal and irreplaceable things, because that 1-1/2 year trip turned out to evolve into my retirement, 8 years earlier than I had thought to retire. And glad it did! :happy

Because my plan had been to return to work after the 1-1/2 year sabbatical, I sold the big bulky stuff that could be repurchased when I return (sofa, bed, etc.). Kept the new fridge, new 52" PROJECTOR TV/DVD SYSTEM :oops: , and a few pieces of furniture.

Also kept my truck so I wouldn't have to go car shopping when I return and could get back in the saddle quickly. Was original owner, still looked and ran like new after like 7 years, so wouldn't want to buy someone else's problem on my return.

Had trouble finding a place to let me store a vehicle inside it (fire risk?), but finally did and was luckily the most reasonable of all prices also! :happy Had about 9 months of planning before my trip, so researched a lot of stuff, such as storage of a car. Here's a list I printed and put on the dash so I'd know what to un-do upon my return. For example, wouldn't want to forget to pull the rag-in-a-plastic bag out of the intake ("carb") when I try to start it, etc.

Here's my list:
10x20 Closed Unit $1368 yr ($114 mo) or $152 single mo
Hours of Operation: Open 7 Days A Week 7:00am-7:30pm
Office Hours Monday-Sunday 9:00am-5:00pm,Saturday 8:30am-5:00pm
1. Plastic under, and drape over, all furniture, etc. TV off ground
2. Armorall in and out—Wash a day before
3. add sta-bil to almost empty gas tank and drive around the block before storing
4. lay out plastic under truck before parking to avoid moisture damage
5. blocks for rear frame, jack stands front, lift MOST weight off tires, don't extend shocks
6. Disconnect battery with doors unlocked—leave wrench/charger handy. Spin off antenna
7. DO NOT LEAVE PARKING BRAKE ON
8. lift wiper blades off glass—put baking soda in cab and shell (mothballs too)
9. Baggie over exhaust pipe / rubber band—stuff rag into intake at filter
10. Spray WD-40 on hinges, locks, etc BUT NOT ON RUBBER
11. Nothing delicate on floorboards—heater core could leak
12. In cab— PC, monitor, camera, printer, scanner, DVD/speakers (plastic bagged)
13. In shell—books, files, clothes, safe,
14. put this sheet on dash for return startup
15. cover with blankets, store light stuff on top of truck, then plastic

I also added about 1 tbsp of "Miracle Oil" into each cylinder then replaced the spark plugs (reduces wear when you restart, dry cylinders).

Upon my return I was very worried the truck might not start at all, ESPECIALLY AFTER 2-1/2 YEARS! And I was going to need it badly to get back on my feet and to start getting my life operational again, so I was very surprised that after putting the charger on the battery (first thing I did when I opened the unit) then going thru my list to prep the truck for the road, it fired right up! THAT WAS A RELIEF. :happy It just smoked a lot for a minute as it burned off that protective oil.

Anyway I sold the truck to the first guy who saw it, and sold or gave away the rest of the stuff I'd no longer needed. Would have sold all that stuff before my trip had I known I wouldn't be returning to my old life, but didn't know that at the time.

On the bright side, I'm glad I eased my way into retirement unknowingly. My original plan had been to "set a date" which was at age 60 when I would get 100% pension. But I think "setting a date to pull the plug" can be a scary way to do it because it's sort of like waiting for your execution and hoping it all works out. Leaves a lot of room for fears and doubts like "Will I have enough...any I doing it too soon...what if...." whereas I slowly realized after about 2 years into my trip, "I'm already retired!" :shock: :D

On a side note, for about a month before I returned I set up and researched all kinds of stuff online, such as insurance on the truck, wrote up adds for things I'd be selling, then put those adds online a few days before I got there so that my cell phone was ringing when I hit the ground. Had planned for 5 weeks to get rid of everything, did it in 3 including a lot of "administrative things" I had to get in order.

So the internet is a great tool for getting things done from a distance, such as doing my tax returns while I was on my trip. Without things like that would have been FORCED to return before the 2-1/2 years. But I had emailed a few years of past returns to myself which came in handy on my extended trip.
theac, I have to say that is an impressive step-by-step procedure for preparing to store a vehicle for long term storage. You're definitely on my short list of people to ask if I have a similar situation.
:sharebeer

Post Reply