Has anyone used ValueMyStuff.com?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Caduceus

Has anyone used ValueMyStuff.com?

Post by Caduceus » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:58 pm

I am thinking of purchasing an antique that is outside my ability to appraise. It's a (supposedly) early 20th century tapestry/textile. I've researched the piece sufficiently in terms of things like its subject matter, looking for inconsistencies in everything from color choices to iconography. So far, everything looks good. Ordinarily, I'd just buy it because it's beautiful even if it were not antique, but the seller is asking for a price that would only be reasonable if the piece were authentic.

I'm not aware of widespread tapestry forgeries but it would seem quite easy to do it. It's hard to fake silvering on photographs but I imagine quite easy to artificially age textiles through accelerated heat/water/light exposure. I know Chinese forgery artists have flooded the market with fake porcelain. Has anyone tried ValueMyStuff? Seems like a cheap way to get experts for a second opinion (they claim they've worked for auction houses)

Re: Has anyone used ValueMyStuff.com?

Post by 123 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:58 pm

If the item is located in a major city there may be local antique auction house with experts that could do an evaluation for you. I would expect that if someone has to go to view the item locally the likely cost is gong to be at least $500 - $1,000+.

Just because a seller thinks it's authentic doesn't mean it is. If he/she was fooled you might be fooled as well.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Jack FFR1846

Re: Has anyone used ValueMyStuff.com?

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:43 pm

If you can't have it verified, assume it's fake and go from there.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid