Advice for my next car please

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Kow

Advice for my next car please

Post by Kow » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:12 pm

I have a 15 year old sedan, 145,000 miles but always had regular maintenance etc. KBB value of roughly $3k. My mechanic says it needs minimum $3k of work for safety issues, mainly new struts and sway bars.

I'm not sure any repairs make sense as I don't want it to turn into a money pit. My hope is I could sell as is for maybe $2k if I don't fix it.

Family wise we have 2 kids, not sure if we will have any more. Our other car is a crv.

Other alternatives to consider are:

Cheap lease, thinking a Kia for 2 years at under 150/month to get us to a point here we know if we need a bigger car.

Buy used sedan, maybe 5 year old Honda and sell in a few years if we need more space.

Buy a new minivan which we really want eventually...we think. But not sure we need it right now.

Interested in thoughts or any other advice. Thanks!

Sandtrap

Re: Advice for my next car please

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:14 pm

Toyota Minivan

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

retire57

Post by retire57 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:26 pm

We've been minivan shopping and I recommend you check out the Kia Sedona. We are seriously impressed with this van's quality, reliability, safety ratings, and value. (The only reason we aren't snapping one up is that I've decided to go hybrid/electric.) They are really awesome minivans. (I swear I'm not affiliated with Kia.)

Watty

Post by Watty » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:28 pm

A lot really depends on your budget, how old your kids are, and how long your CRV will likely last.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:34 pm

Three grand for struts? Holy I don't even know what, Batman.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Topic Author
Kow

Post by Kow » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:52 pm

Our kids are young, both under 4. My primary focus is value for the long term with the uncertainty of not exactly knowing how valuable say a minivan will be for the next couple of years.

Our crv is only 3 years old so has a lot of life left.

Basically my question is what is the best value car over the next few years factoring in the risk of older and used cars.

Also to not I really like the sound of the next Chrysler Pacifica (AWD, plug-in, stow and go seats) but that doesn't come out for 8 months and they depreciate quick so

aerosurfer

Post by aerosurfer » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:20 pm

Kow wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:52 pm
Our kids are young, both under 4. My primary focus is value for the long term with the uncertainty of not exactly knowing how valuable say a minivan will be for the next couple of years.

Our crv is only 3 years old so has a lot of life left.

Basically my question is what is the best value car over the next few years factoring in the risk of older and used cars.

Also to not I really like the sound of the next Chrysler Pacifica (AWD, plug-in, stow and go seats) but that doesn't come out for 8 months and they depreciate quick so
We had a CRV when we had our second kid. It sucked.... just no room in that car for much beyond 2 car seats and minimal stuff. if you are considering a minivan, do it! The space and utility is life changing. We went Chrysler for the stow and go seats. Price was what we wanted to spend, have had no issues with a 2016 used Town and country bought in 2018.

Momus

Post by Momus » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:22 pm

Got my new Elantra limited for $17.5k + tax. I am getting 53 mpg in highway. That's pretty cheap for a new car, loaded with features. I am saving $ up front vs. buying marked up hybrid or electric. It's a basic commuter car.

Teslas need to go down sub 20k before I fork over my hard earn money :twisted: Next car is going to be lvl 5 self driving car. I will give it 10 yrs for them to make a finish product :D

You can get a reliable 3 yo car sub $10k easily.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:04 am

With two small children I'd suggest a minivan. Get a new one but stay away from Chrysler/Ford/GM and European brands if you want long term reliability and low cost maintenance. Take good care of it and it should easily be reliable for at least 12-15 years.

snowox

Post by snowox » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:31 am

Buy a couple , three year old used Toyota Minivan you will love it.

smectym

Re: Advice for my next car ple

Post by smectym » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:48 am

2 kids...we have an Acura RDX, it’s not that big but 2 kids would roll around in it. A CRV can never be the wrong choice in this situation, but these days sedans are very much on sale so you might want to take a look at the Honda Accord. An excellent sedan. Frankly, even the new Civic is an amazing car now and way more spacious than Civics past.

I guess my strategy call would be, since SUVs are all the rage and sedans are out of favor, if you are not deadly averse to sedans, I might look to one where you and your kids both feel comfortable. Because today, sedans are where the deals are.

But if the sedan is out, then I’d say start with the Honda CRV and rule that out first before looking elsewhere.

OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:57 am

Kow wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:12 pm
I have a 15 year old sedan, 145,000 miles but always had regular maintenance etc. KBB value of roughly $3k. My mechanic says it needs minimum $3k of work for safety issues, mainly new struts and sway bars.

I'm not sure any repairs make sense as I don't want it to turn into a money pit. My hope is I could sell as is for maybe $2k if I don't fix it.
I might be wrong, but I think it's unlikely you will get $2K for the car after informing potential buyers about what is wrong with it, and that it is currently unsafe to drive. I would want proof that the buyer knew what was wrong with the car before buying it, and that it was unsafe to drive at the time of purchase. Maybe a liability waiver? Not sure, I'm not a lawyer.

You might be better off getting it fixed, or just selling it for scrap.

teCh0010

Post by teCh0010 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:11 am

My strategy with two kids has been to have one car as the primary kid hauler and road trip machine, and another car that has a back seat so I can pick up or drop off but that is about the only kid related requirement.

For primary kid hauler we are on our second Pilot. The CRV would be fine most days, but it won’t handle vacation with luggage and the dog. The Pilot will. Don’t worry about getting a minivan and not needing the space, you will use it. As our kids got older we also found the third row useful to take their school friends places. We buy new, drive for 10 years, and for our primary kid hauler add 8 year /120k Honda care. You can buy Honda care from a different dealership within 6k miles of new purchase, so we bought Honda care from a dealer known for rock bottom Honda care prices. It was half the price of buying it with the car.

A minivan would work even better than the Pilot, so if that is what you want then I would pull the trigger if it fits into your budget. Keep the CRV and make it secondary vehicle.

If buying the minivan isn’t in the budget I would shop through what you can get for 5k and keep the CRV as primary vehicle.

My car is a 2012 accord. Plenty of room, but almost anything with a back seat would work in that role. I bought it new for 19.5k and it hasn’t had a single problem.

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:19 am

I would do the best of both worlds. A used Toyota Sienna. A new one MSRP looks to $34,000 for an LE. If you can negotiate it down, it is probably $31,000 or so. In my area, a used 2017 one looks to be in the $22,000 range and you could negotiate that, too. For the $10,000 in savings, I would grab the three year old one, keep it for 8-10 years at least and at that point you probably won't need it anymore or can reevaluate.

In general, buying a car and then dumping it in two or so years doesn't usually make sense. Leasing makes more sense in those cases, but most of the value in leases comes in the three year leases. Since you're paying for depreciation, the car's value drops like a rock in year one, but by the third year, it doesn't drop nearly as much from the second to the third year, which is why 3-year leases are common. I would not do a two year lease. Well, I wouldn't do a lease period, but if I had to do one, I'd do the three year.

jco

Post by jco » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:53 am

I'm driving a 20+-year-old Toyota Camry with more than 260,000 miles. A 15-year-old car with 145,000 miles sounds like it's barely being broken in!

Seriously though, you didn't say what kind of car you have. Is it a car known for longevity? I wouldn't look at this soley based on blue book value. When you buy a different car (assuming used), you don't know what potential problems the new car has, especially if its a little older. Your insurance and registration will also go up quite a bit. Not to mentioned that it's simply a hassle to buy and sell a car.

Have you got any second opinions about how much it costs to replace struts? Without knowing the exact model or the exact details of replacement, it certainly sounds like an unusually high repair cost.

Kagord

Post by Kagord » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:15 am

jco wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:53 am
I'm driving a 20+-year-old Toyota Camry with more than 260,000 miles. A 15-year-old car with 145,000 miles sounds like it's barely being broken in!

Seriously though, you didn't say what kind of car you have. Is it a car known for longevity? I wouldn't look at this soley based on blue book value. When you buy a different car (assuming used), you don't know what potential problems the new car has, especially if its a little older. Your insurance and registration will also go up quite a bit. Not to mentioned that it's simply a hassle to buy and sell a car.

Have you got any second opinions about how much it costs to replace struts? Without knowing the exact model or the exact details of replacement, it certainly sounds like an unusually high repair cost.
Front and rear struts and sway bar links would be less than $400 on your Camry, you might be able to get under $300. DIY, it's about 3-4 hours worth of work. I have a a similar 20 year old Camry I bought new, the only real issue I have is that it keeps going with no unexpected issues whatsoever. I.E. there's no cost effective way to replace it with something more fun to drive, and these Toyota cars, unfortunately, keep working for 400-500K miles :(

Has Toyota ever heard of planned obsolescence, they need to look that up, seriously.

jpelder

Post by jpelder » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:20 am

jco wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:53 am

I second this. Either call around for price quotes, or take it to another place or two for diagnosis and see if they come up with the same recommendation.

I don't have kids, so I don't have much to add on what car to get. Minivans seem practical, and they might have better deals since they're not "cool"

GT99

Post by GT99 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:25 am

Kow wrote:

Cheap lease, thinking a Kia for 2 years at under 150/month to get us to a point here we know if we need a bigger car.
If you can truly lease a new car for 2 years at under $150/month without putting a bunch of money down, I'd do that in a heart beat. $150 for 3 or more years with ~$2500 due up front, yes, but for 2 years that sounds too good to be true.

Part of my thinking is that the market is going to move more and more electric over the next 4 to 5 years. That's going to hurt residuals on ICE vehicles. Granted, the options you've laid out aren't likely to be impacted much, but just something to consider.

H-Town

Post by H-Town » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:36 am

Kow wrote:

Family wise we have 2 kids, not sure if we will have any more. Our other car is a crv.

Other alternatives to consider are:

Buy used sedan, maybe 5 year old Honda and sell in a few years if we need more space.

Buy a new minivan which we really want eventually...we think. But not sure we need it right now.

Interested in thoughts or any other advice. Thanks!
Which car is it? 145k miles is not a high mileage car. If you know the problem and how to get a fair price to fix it, you should get at least a few years out of it. $3k for new struts and sway bar? You’re being taken for a ride. Worse is that it would push you to spend tens of thousands for a new car you don’t need right now.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:38 am

Kagord wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:15 am
Front and rear struts and sway bar links would be less than $400 on your Camry, you might be able to get under $300. DIY, it's about 3-4 hours worth of work.
I do nearly all my own work, and encourage others to as well. That said, I don't know if I'd advise strut replacement as a first project for someone who doesn't have previous mechanical experience. It requires special tools (which yes can be rented) and is very dangerous if not done properly. Swaybars and rear shocks (and springs, if necessary) is not bad though.

There are companies that sell fully assembled and ready-to-install strut assemblies, and I'd be comfortable suggesting that to someone relatively new to working on their car, but that adds a good bit of expense and will have you replacing your springs, which probably aren't bad.

squirm

Post by squirm » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:40 am

So how do sway bars go bad? That's a new one.

Kagord

Post by Kagord » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:54 am

The rubber at the ends. The $300 was the full setup (less $60 alignment needed), not saying your car will be level and have a smooth comfy factory oem ride after this install, though. But it will handle turns, brake better, and have better tire wear, lol

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fit-97-01-Toyo ... Sworhb7uMe

squirm

Post by squirm » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:20 pm

Kagord wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:54 am
The rubber at the ends. The $300 was the full setup (less $60 alignment needed), not saying your car will be level and have a smooth comfy factory oem ride after this install, though. But it will handle turns, brake better, and have better tire wear, lol

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fit-97-01-Toyo ... Sworhb7uMe
the last time i replaced the bushings was in my teens, i took off the sway bars and put on pink poly bushings. hey that was suppose to be cool.
to the op,
probably money not well spent.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:56 pm

Boy, as a do-it-yourselfer who knows how to buy from Rock Auto, I feel spoiled. I've recently done front end links on our Fusion for under $20 including shipping. Struts depend on configuration for cost. Something like a Jeep, it's dead simple and replacing 4 of them is maybe 20 minutes. A Subaru with strut in coil is much longer and having air tools and spring compressors and the skill to do it takes maybe a couple hours (I've done one in 45 minutes as a challenge once). If you've got a $2000 car, just do the front sway bar. Disconnect and remove the rear entirely. In most cars, the lowest trim level won't even have a rear sway bar. I could get into the effect, but nobody cares. It doesn't make the car safer, if you're wondering.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Watty

Post by Watty » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:11 pm

Kow wrote:

I don't know much about leasing but that $150K a month does sound too good to be true even for an inexpensive car. Often five year old Hondas or Toyotas are priced so high that it makes sense to buy a new one instead.

Both of those sound like the costs would add up. One thing that works for me is to focus on the yearly cost of ownership over a number of years.

My basic car buying strategy is to by new Hondas or Toyotas when you can get a great deal then keep them for about ten years and then sell them and get a new replacement car. I buy a lower trim level since they seem to hold their value better A well maintained one owner Honda or Toyota that is ten years old will sell for a surprising amount which helps makes this doable. I figure that I also save a lot by waiting until I can find a great deal on my next car. This is not the cheapest way to own a car but it gives me a very reasonable yearly cost of ownership since I will rarely have to pay for non-routine maintenance.