Best Oil?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
bottlecap

Re: Best Oil?

Post by bottlecap » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:02 pm

smitcat wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:17 am
bottlecap wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:49 pm
Teague wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:26 pm
dm200 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:19 pm
Since taxicabs generally put on a lot of miles with mostly in city driving, I wonder what a well informed cab company uses in their cab fleets?

With a fleet of cabs, I believe that if one type or brand of oil is "better" (meaning the cabs last longer and need fewer repairs), a little more spent on oil would mean bigger profits (or lower losses these days with Uber and Lyft).
The thing about that as I see it is that their operating conditions will be very different than the usual consumer. Long periods of idling punctuated by bat-out-of-Hades operation, tons of stop-and-go, maybe operating 24/7 with shiftwork drivers, and a maintenance schedule that is atypical. Would make for a difficult comparison, I believe.
Twenty some odd years ago, CR did a test with a fleet of cabs, changing the oil every 10,000 miles in one set of cabs and 3,000 miles in the control set. After 100,000 miles, they tore down the engines and mic'd the pistons (or something like that). They found no appreciable difference and recommended ordinary drivers change dino oil every 7,500 miles under normal conditions (to be safe). This was before auto manufacturers moved off the 3,000 miles number, as I recall.

JT
And if you buy and drive your cars like that fleet of cabs and check and change the oil at the same intervals I am sure you will get the same results.
Someone's always sure to make a puzzling post. Can anyone enlighten me as to the point of this one? I do t get it.

JT

Poorman

Post by Poorman » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:41 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:11 am
Poorman wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:00 am
I'd rather retire early.

Let's see. I'm 30 years from retirement. At 7.2% interest. A bmw is about 3x the price of my current new car. Which would be an extra 30k at 7.2% over 30 years is 240k. And that's if you only buy one and never trade...
Which presupposes one makes it to retirement. I've been a car guy since forever, so if I had to spend over 1,000 hours a year for my entire life driving a sub-$15k crapbucket, I'd have steered myself into a bridge abutment by now. Retirement wouldn't even be a factor. But I genuinely enjoy driving my car every day, as I did with the previous one, even at the 12 year mark--I still miss it occasionally, even all these years later. So it's a quality of life factor (for me) more than anything else. I do genuinely get that there are people who don't care about cars though.
Sad your life is so materialistic and capitalism has you brainwashed that you'd kill yourself over a piece of iron...

I've drove plenty of 40k-60k vehicles. You get in them. Set the cruise. Turn on a podcast. And forget what you're driving 5 minutes later.

ARoseByAnyOtherName

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:58 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:27 pm
Honestly people really overthink motor oil for their boring vehicles.
Isn’t that the truth!

Cubicle

Post by Cubicle » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:31 am

CoastalWinds wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:45 pm
Extra virgin olive oil.
"Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil" as recommended on Car Talk.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:43 am

Poorman wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:41 pm
Sad your life is so materialistic and capitalism has you brainwashed that you'd kill yourself over a piece of iron...

I've drove plenty of 40k-60k vehicles. You get in them. Set the cruise. Turn on a podcast. And forget what you're driving 5 minutes later.
We've established you're not a car person. Moving on....

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:57 am

bottlecap wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:02 pm
smitcat wrote:
bottlecap wrote:
Teague wrote:
dm200 wrote:
Since taxicabs generally put on a lot of miles with mostly in city driving, I wonder what a well informed cab company uses in their cab fleets?

With a fleet of cabs, I believe that if one type or brand of oil is "better" (meaning the cabs last longer and need fewer repairs), a little more spent on oil would mean bigger profits (or lower losses these days with Uber and Lyft).
The thing about that as I see it is that their operating conditions will be very different than the usual consumer. Long periods of idling punctuated by bat-out-of-Hades operation, tons of stop-and-go, maybe operating 24/7 with shiftwork drivers, and a maintenance schedule that is atypical. Would make for a difficult comparison, I believe.
Twenty some odd years ago, CR did a test with a fleet of cabs, changing the oil every 10,000 miles in one set of cabs and 3,000 miles in the control set. After 100,000 miles, they tore down the engines and mic'd the pistons (or something like that). They found no appreciable difference and recommended ordinary drivers change dino oil every 7,500 miles under normal conditions (to be safe). This was before auto manufacturers moved off the 3,000 miles number, as I recall.

JT
And if you buy and drive your cars like that fleet of cabs and check and change the oil at the same intervals I am sure you will get the same results.
Someone's always sure to make a puzzling post. Can anyone enlighten me as to the point of this one? I do t get it.

JT
The results of that CR study would be the same if:
-you were to run those exact same 20 year old engines
- you were to run the exact same oil
- you were to run them like a cab company , same long runs
- you were to do maintenance and oil changes the same

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:17 pm

Teague wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:54 pm
TheOscarGuy wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:05 pm
I am surprised this thread isn't locked yet, I thought religion is off limits :D
I just put the synthetic oil the manufacturer recommends (brake oil, transmission oil etc.), or dealership has (for engine oil).
Brake oil? Hopefully not. :D
:happy I meant synthetic oil for engine oil and everything else recommended by manufacturer.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:24 pm

dm200 wrote:
Probably not relevant.

One of the ways that oil breaks down is that it becomes resistant to flow during cold starts. Taxis don't get a lot of cold starts for a given mileage.

Hogan773

Post by Hogan773 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:53 pm

Teague wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:38 pm
White Coat Investor wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:27 pm
Teague wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:57 pm
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:55 pm
Teague wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:31 pm

Are you asking how many engines I've seized? The answer to that would be none.
No, how many times have you driven around for miles with the cap off.
Ah, I see. I've never done that. Nor is it on my to-do list.

Indeed, if you did that for long enough you could have lost enough oil to cause the engine to seize. It would be pretty hard not to notice some smoke or at least a strong odor from all the hot oil all over the engine compartment, and you'd have plenty of oil on the ground wherever you parked. And it would take quite a while to lose that much oil in that fashion. But is it possible? Well, sure, but you'd almost have to be wearing blinders and not have a sense of smell not to notice it. And any mechanic would instantly diagnose the problem once they opened the hood and saw the mess.
I didn't make it 15 miles before the engine started making a very abnormal sound.
Unfortunate. Was there lots of oil sprayed all around under the hood, and what did the mechanic say when you had the car towed to them?
As I was the one who started the Jiffy Lube forgetting the cap thing, in my case there was the mist of oil all over the engine bay and it was smokey and smelly. I turned around (I was only a few miles away) and went straight back and showed them what had happened. If I recall they got some degreaser and foamed and washed down the engine bay and apologized and refunded my $25 or whatever I had paid. That was back in the 90s and I haven't had that Honda Civic in awhile but it survived for 6 or so more years from the Jiffy Lube before I sold it. I think it was just a mess but didn't do any real damage. No engine seize in my case haha

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:34 pm

Whatever the manufacture ask for should be just fine.
I'm amazed at the wealth of Knowledge others gather, and share over a lifetime of learning. The mind is truly unique. It's nice when we use it!

FrugalConservative

Post by FrugalConservative » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:36 pm

Supertech or Mobil 1 when they have the rebate.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:12 pm

Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:27 pm
The main thing is to make sure there is oil in the engine and that you put the cap back on tight. Ask me how I know. :)
Yah, i had that happen to me as well, what a mess! and the stink! :wink:
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:03 pm

smitcat wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:57 am
bottlecap wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:02 pm
smitcat wrote:
bottlecap wrote:
Teague wrote:

JT

JT
The results of that CR study would be the same if:
-you were to run those exact same 20 year old engines
- you were to run the exact same oil
- you were to run them like a cab company , same long runs
- you were to do maintenance and oil changes the same
And?

Cubicle

Post by Cubicle » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:51 pm

Posting to dump on Jiffy Lube. Shortly after my parents purchased a new Chrysler minivan in the 1990's Jiffy Lube stripped the threads of the oil pan bolt. Leading to the oil pouring out overnight. Leading to a loud argument.

Never took any of the cars back their. And that's around the time I figured out how to do oil changes on all the cars myself.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:26 am

Costco now sells a house brand synthetic oil, 10 quarts for $30 shipped:
https://www.costco.com/kirkland-signatu ... 18855.html

Supposedly it's pretty good. I just ordered some, don't think my cars will notice :wink: I normally by the Mobil1 6-packs from costco when they are on sale but this is a much better deal.

squirm

Post by squirm » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:00 pm

Oil threads are always funny to read. I guess if you have nothing better to do, have an endless debate on oil lubrication.

Anyways,I generally change the oil when I get time. Sometimes it's several months after the "interval" sometimes not, who cares.

I generally just go with house brands.

Puretaxableindexer

Post by Puretaxableindexer » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:33 pm

Oil is oil. They all should have the API symbol on the bottle. Everything else is all marketing that offers nothing of any real value. I've used Walmart Super Tech oil and Pep Boys branded oil and they worked fine. Before synthetic, I would change my oil/filter every 2000 miles. I did it myself. I would also use Motor Flush after a couple of changes. My cars last 100K+ without any problems.