Vanguard vs Schwab - customer service

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Post Reply
Topic Author
VT1964
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:37 pm

Vanguard vs Schwab - customer service

Post by VT1964 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:09 pm

I have 2 accounts (schwab and vanguard) but would like to just have one. The funds now are pretty comparable. I prefer the app and website of Vanguard, but the customer service at schwab is HANDS DOWN better in many ways!! Not sure which way to go. Any preferences out there?

aristotelian
Posts: 6861
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:05 pm

Re: Vanguard vs Schwab - customer service

Post by aristotelian » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:14 pm

It's kind of like asking you to choose between your kids.

User avatar
Nate79
Posts: 5445
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:24 pm
Location: Delaware

Re: Vanguard vs Schwab - customer service

Post by Nate79 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:00 pm

We switched from Vanguard to Schwab. Very very happy.

User avatar
ruralavalon
Posts: 17403
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:29 am
Location: Illinois

Re: Vanguard vs Schwab - customer service

Post by ruralavalon » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:26 pm

VT1964 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:09 pm
I have 2 accounts (schwab and vanguard) but would like to just have one. The funds now are pretty comparable. I prefer the app and website of Vanguard, but the customer service at schwab is HANDS DOWN better in many ways!! Not sure which way to go. Any preferences out there?
My personal preference is Vanguard. I also like the Vanguard website and app. We have all accounts (joint taxable account, 2 Roth IRAs, and my rollover IRA) at Vanguard, use only Vanguard index funds (just 4 funds), and have almost no need for any customer service.

But your personal preference is what counts.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

MnD
Posts: 4469
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:41 pm

Re: Vanguard vs Schwab - customer service

Post by MnD » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:22 pm

My daughter recently got her Schwab debit card hacked after a fair amount of use at sketchy dive places frequented by college grad students.
Schwab notified her of suspicious activity, locked the card and put things in motion to issue a replacement card.
Unfortunately she had an international trip departing the next day. So the next day (a Saturday) after the hack she was on her way to Finland with a little cash and planning to use her credit card for the large majority of expenses. Unfortunately somewhere during the the trip to the airport her credit card slipped out of her phone holder and was lost. So now she's waiting to board a plane for Finland on a weekend for a 2 week working trip with a very small amount of cash, a hacked debit card locked by Schwab and no credit card.

Since she still had her locked debit card with her, she called Schwab from the airport with her sob story. After rigorously verifying her identity, they immediately got an additional person on a conference call, instructed her to get to an ATM as they were going to unlock her card for a few minutes so she could withdraw a bunch of cash. They stayed on the phone while this happened, watched the transaction go through and then relocked the card. They then they got her temporary address in Finland and arranged to have her replacement debit card overnight delivered to an international destination at Schwabs expense. She is a young grad student and not even remotely a "high roller" with regards to banking or investment account balances.
70/30 AA, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if FI <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.

User avatar
Cheez-It Guy
Posts: 600
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:20 pm

Re: Vanguard vs Schwab - customer service

Post by Cheez-It Guy » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:14 pm

I like Vanguard. You need to decide for yourself, OP. What are you expecting people to say that you don't already know other than giving their own preferences?

leveraged
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:51 pm

Re: Vanguard vs Schwab - customer service

Post by leveraged » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:10 pm

MnD wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:22 pm
Since she still had her locked debit card with her, she called Schwab from the airport with her sob story. After rigorously verifying her identity, they immediately got an additional person on a conference call, instructed her to get to an ATM as they were going to unlock her card for a few minutes so she could withdraw a bunch of cash. They stayed on the phone while this happened, watched the transaction go through and then relocked the card. They then they got her temporary address in Finland and arranged to have her replacement debit card overnight delivered to an international destination at Schwabs expense. She is a young grad student and not even remotely a "high roller" with regards to banking or investment account balances.
I'll second this experience! I've had a Schwab account since I was just out of college with no assets to speak of, and they've always treated me like this. Have also had a replacement card overnighted to me halfway across the world.

Laker1
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:50 pm

Re: Vanguard vs Schwab - customer service

Post by Laker1 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:26 pm

I am with Vanguard simply for their funds...I use Wellington, Wellsley and VTI and they work the best for me...so its simple...and as far as calling...I cant think why in the last 3-4 years I would have needed to call them...simple life..simple funds...

User avatar
calmaniac
Posts: 206
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:32 pm

Re: Vanguard vs Schwab - customer service

Post by calmaniac » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:28 pm

I really like the Schwab web site and ease of access to account data. I have limited experience with Vanguard's web site, but most of what I read is less than stellar.

At Schwab, I can buy Vanguard ETFs with zero commission (VFVA, VIOV, VSS, VWO). The best of both worlds.

I have dealt with a number of Schwab staff regarding my parents' accounts and estate issues. Generally very positive interactions.

User avatar
samsoes
Posts: 1416
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:12 am
Location: Northeast Rat Race

Re: Vanguard vs Schwab - customer service

Post by samsoes » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:34 pm

aristotelian wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:14 pm
It's kind of like asking you to choose between your kids.
Sure, if you always have one kid's attention, he listens to what you have to say, obeys your rules, and always tells the truth. And the other doesn't hear a word you say while you are speaking to him, you can never get to attention, never responds when you call him on his cell-phone, and he lies, but you love him anyway.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

aristotelian
Posts: 6861
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:05 pm

Re: Vanguard vs Schwab - customer service

Post by aristotelian » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:50 pm

samsoes wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:34 pm
aristotelian wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:14 pm
It's kind of like asking you to choose between your kids.
Sure, if you always have one kid's attention, he listens to what you have to say, obeys your rules, and always tells the truth. And the other doesn't hear a word you say while you are speaking to him, you can never get to attention, never responds when you call him on his cell-phone, and he lies, but you love him anyway.
Lol. But the older one was your first. You will always have a soft spot for him, and anyway he's a good kid at heart and nothing he ever does is that bad.

lexor
Posts: 649
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:32 am

Re: Vanguard vs Schwab - customer service

Post by lexor » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:56 pm

VT1964 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:09 pm
I have 2 accounts (schwab and vanguard) but would like to just have one. The funds now are pretty comparable. I prefer the app and website of Vanguard, but the customer service at schwab is HANDS DOWN better in many ways!! Not sure which way to go. Any preferences out there?
Fidelity...? Cost Matters 2020

Schwab has less expensive funds but Vanguard has an all cap international fund. I don't put much weight on the website design because I'm mostly buying and holding. Honestly I would be okay keeping multiple accounts if it were me though.
“The miracle of compounding returns is overwhelmed by the tyranny of compounding costs.” -Mr. John C. Bogle

User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 18102
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!
Contact:

Re: Vanguard vs Schwab - customer service

Post by abuss368 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:59 pm

I have never had an unfortunate experience when contacting Vanguard.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success." || Buy Total Stock until it hurts. Then find a way to buy even more!

student
Posts: 4515
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Vanguard vs Schwab - customer service

Post by student » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:07 pm

MnD wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:22 pm
My daughter recently got her Schwab debit card hacked after a fair amount of use at sketchy dive places frequented by college grad students.
Schwab notified her of suspicious activity, locked the card and put things in motion to issue a replacement card.
Unfortunately she had an international trip departing the next day. So the next day (a Saturday) after the hack she was on her way to Finland with a little cash and planning to use her credit card for the large majority of expenses. Unfortunately somewhere during the the trip to the airport her credit card slipped out of her phone holder and was lost. So now she's waiting to board a plane for Finland on a weekend for a 2 week working trip with a very small amount of cash, a hacked debit card locked by Schwab and no credit card.

Since she still had her locked debit card with her, she called Schwab from the airport with her sob story. After rigorously verifying her identity, they immediately got an additional person on a conference call, instructed her to get to an ATM as they were going to unlock her card for a few minutes so she could withdraw a bunch of cash. They stayed on the phone while this happened, watched the transaction go through and then relocked the card. They then they got her temporary address in Finland and arranged to have her replacement debit card overnight delivered to an international destination at Schwabs expense. She is a young grad student and not even remotely a "high roller" with regards to banking or investment account balances.
Look like they have got a customer for life. What a positive experience.

beernutz
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun May 31, 2015 12:50 pm

Re: Vanguard vs Schwab - customer service

Post by beernutz » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:49 pm

Why do you want to have just one? My wife's 401k has been with Vanguard for 20+ years and I've been a Schwab customer for more than 30 years with the majority of my investments in a managed Schwab portfolio for more than 10 years.

Both provide exceptional customer service. I hope I never have to choose between them.

Topic Author
VT1964
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:37 pm

Re: Vanguard vs Schwab - customer service

Post by VT1964 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:35 am

Cheez-It Guy wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:14 pm
I like Vanguard. You need to decide for yourself, OP. What are you expecting people to say that you don't already know other than giving their own preferences?
I guess stories like the one about the daughter losing her credit card, etc. While I don't have to contact customer service that often, the few times I need them may make a difference. Schwab reps make you feel valued and respected whereas Vanguard reps are efficient at best but I feel like I'm talking to the DMV.

When I call BCBS the reps are outstanding, knowledgeable and professional. Compared to when I had to call the Obamacare phone number to get information where they are unhelpful and annoyed.

I think companies should realize the importance of first contact: having a phone system that is easy to use without having to punch through a bunch of commands with a fake-friendly robot, and yes the cliché of 'making the customer feel valued' which Schwab does. Even though I prefer the platform and app of Vanguard, I am now leaning towards giving my hard-earned money over to Schwab.

bondsr4me
Posts: 1325
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:08 am

Re: Vanguard vs Schwab - customer service

Post by bondsr4me » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:59 am

OP

The best advice I have for you is to open an account at Schwab and give them a try.
As you go thru the account opening process and then get your account established, see how Schwab makes you feel.
Do they make you feel like a valued client or just another account to deal with.
Is the Schwab website and trading platform easy for you to deal with.
Do you like the research that is available.
Are the monthly statements easy for you to read and understand.
Is Schwab’s real-time chat service something you can take advantage of when needed.
One thing is for certain, if you are not satisfied, transfer to another firm.
Good Luck with your choice.

User avatar
Cheez-It Guy
Posts: 600
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:20 pm

Re: Vanguard vs Schwab - customer service

Post by Cheez-It Guy » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:07 am

I don't really care about being made to feel special and / or valued. This is similar to how people get roped into a high fee financial advisor because they are a "nice guy" and invite clients to "free" steak dinners. Now, Schwab is obviously a much better value than this, but their goal remains the same -- to turn a profit from you -- specifically, to make money on your idle cash. Just be fully aware.

mpnret
Posts: 286
Joined: Sun May 20, 2018 9:16 am

Re: Vanguard vs Schwab - customer service

Post by mpnret » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:16 am

I looked at Schwab about 2 years ago before consolidating everything at Vanguard. At the time I didn't like the hidden fees at Schwab mainly cash drag and ER's. I also didn't feel comfortable with what high cost funds they would be trying to put my wife in if I was no longer around.

User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 18102
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!
Contact:

Re: Vanguard vs Schwab - customer service

Post by abuss368 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:27 am

Cheez-It Guy wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:07 am
I don't really care about being made to feel special and / or valued. This is similar to how people get roped into a high fee financial advisor because they are a "nice guy" and invite clients to "free" steak dinners. Now, Schwab is obviously a much better value than this, but their goal remains the same -- to turn a profit from you -- specifically, to make money on your idle cash. Just be fully aware.
Well said. I want good service, no frills, at the lowest cost possible.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success." || Buy Total Stock until it hurts. Then find a way to buy even more!

bhjjk19
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:47 pm
Location: Buffalo NY area

Re: Vanguard vs Schwab - customer service

Post by bhjjk19 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:43 am

I've been with Vanguard for years as they were my 401k provider and my rollover IRA provider. My experience over the years has been very good, but I'm a very low maintenance client as I manage my own investments BECAUSE of THIS outstanding forum. As recent as 2 days ago I spoke with a rep regarding statement issues and PAS questions (down the road option, or LifeStrategy). The rep was very personable and answered all my questions. It was one of my best experiences over the life span of my relationship. However, there was one not so great experience about 3 years ago when I asked to speak with an expert (internal CFP) for which I found his responses ultra conservative (afraid to give me specific advice) and literally rushed me off the call. I was pissed as I felt the call was useless. However, I believe it was the "individual" who did not represent Vanguard or my needs very well. This one bad experience is not enough to make me consider an alternative provider. I'm hopeful Vanguard realizes their customer service issues and based on my recent experience, I think they are really trying to go out of their was to improve things.

lexor
Posts: 649
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:32 am

Re: Vanguard vs Schwab - customer service

Post by lexor » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:44 am

abuss368 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:27 am
Cheez-It Guy wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:07 am
I don't really care about being made to feel special and / or valued. This is similar to how people get roped into a high fee financial advisor because they are a "nice guy" and invite clients to "free" steak dinners. Now, Schwab is obviously a much better value than this, but their goal remains the same -- to turn a profit from you -- specifically, to make money on your idle cash. Just be fully aware.
Well said. I want good service, no frills, at the lowest cost possible.
But Fidelity and Schwab are both lower cost than Vanguard. In the case of Schwab just don't hold large amounts of cash in their banking services (Vanguard doesn't offer banking services anyway). Vanguard did try to offer banking services but the initiative failed and was scraped.
“The miracle of compounding returns is overwhelmed by the tyranny of compounding costs.” -Mr. John C. Bogle

User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 18102
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!
Contact:

Re: Vanguard vs Schwab - customer service

Post by abuss368 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:54 am

lexor wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:44 am
abuss368 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:27 am
Cheez-It Guy wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:07 am
I don't really care about being made to feel special and / or valued. This is similar to how people get roped into a high fee financial advisor because they are a "nice guy" and invite clients to "free" steak dinners. Now, Schwab is obviously a much better value than this, but their goal remains the same -- to turn a profit from you -- specifically, to make money on your idle cash. Just be fully aware.
Well said. I want good service, no frills, at the lowest cost possible.
But Fidelity and Schwab are both lower cost than Vanguard. In the case of Schwab just don't hold large amounts of cash in their banking services (Vanguard doesn't offer banking services anyway). Vanguard did try to offer banking services but the initiative failed and was scraped.
Vanguard may reach a point where it needs to figure out banking. I think folks are looking for more comprehensive solutions today.

Does Schwab offer loans as per of banking or just cash accounts?
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success." || Buy Total Stock until it hurts. Then find a way to buy even more!

bhjjk19
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:47 pm
Location: Buffalo NY area

Re: Vanguard vs Schwab - customer service

Post by bhjjk19 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:17 am

I should add the following to my prior post:
I sounded bias regarding Vanguard because I have no experience with Schwab. But everything I read on this site suggests they have very good customer service and the ONLY complaint I've seen relates to cash. The one plus for Schwab specific to me might be that they are the only provider between them, Vanguard and Fidelity that has a local physical presence in by area (Buffalo,NY). I really do not need a face to face provided because I previously mentioned I'm low maintenance. Specifically, my portfolio is 100% tax-advantaged (no taxable account - yet) and 100% mutual funds (no ETF's). The other reason I do not require face to face is that if I need advice I would FIRST come to this site for suggestions. I will also add the following regarding my experience with Fidelity even though the OP did not ask about them:
Fidelity is a big 401k custodian in the Buffalo area and my wife's portfolio was at Fidelity prior to me migrating her over to Vanguard for ease of management purposes. My experience with Fidelity customer service was exceptional even though I was moving funds off their platform. Fidelity's web site UI was much better than Vanguard's, but was not important for me as our needs are simple. If I had a Taxable portfolio, then Fidelity would be my provider Hands Down and I suspect the same could be for Schwab. Just "my" personal opinion regarding these 3 providers. I would have no issue recommending either of the 3 providers to my friends and family.

lexor
Posts: 649
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:32 am

Re: Vanguard vs Schwab - customer service

Post by lexor » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:40 am

abuss368 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:54 am
lexor wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:44 am
abuss368 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:27 am
Cheez-It Guy wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:07 am
I don't really care about being made to feel special and / or valued. This is similar to how people get roped into a high fee financial advisor because they are a "nice guy" and invite clients to "free" steak dinners. Now, Schwab is obviously a much better value than this, but their goal remains the same -- to turn a profit from you -- specifically, to make money on your idle cash. Just be fully aware.
Well said. I want good service, no frills, at the lowest cost possible.
But Fidelity and Schwab are both lower cost than Vanguard. In the case of Schwab just don't hold large amounts of cash in their banking services (Vanguard doesn't offer banking services anyway). Vanguard did try to offer banking services but the initiative failed and was scraped.
Vanguard may reach a point where it needs to figure out banking. I think folks are looking for more comprehensive solutions today.

Does Schwab offer loans as per of banking or just cash accounts?
Seems they offer home lending. Although I haven't used Schwab yet. I may open a Schwab account at some point but Fidelity offers better funds so I don't really need them.

Maybe some people want banking services but it's not really a concern to me. I use Discover and have been happy with them. I will say the ATM fees refunds that Fidelity and Schwab offer sound awesome if you use a lot of cash though.
“The miracle of compounding returns is overwhelmed by the tyranny of compounding costs.” -Mr. John C. Bogle

User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 18102
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!
Contact:

Re: Vanguard vs Schwab - customer service

Post by abuss368 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:11 am

lexor wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:40 am
abuss368 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:54 am
lexor wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:44 am
abuss368 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:27 am
Cheez-It Guy wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:07 am
I don't really care about being made to feel special and / or valued. This is similar to how people get roped into a high fee financial advisor because they are a "nice guy" and invite clients to "free" steak dinners. Now, Schwab is obviously a much better value than this, but their goal remains the same -- to turn a profit from you -- specifically, to make money on your idle cash. Just be fully aware.
Well said. I want good service, no frills, at the lowest cost possible.
But Fidelity and Schwab are both lower cost than Vanguard. In the case of Schwab just don't hold large amounts of cash in their banking services (Vanguard doesn't offer banking services anyway). Vanguard did try to offer banking services but the initiative failed and was scraped.
Vanguard may reach a point where it needs to figure out banking. I think folks are looking for more comprehensive solutions today.

Does Schwab offer loans as per of banking or just cash accounts?
Seems they offer home lending. Although I haven't used Schwab yet. I may open a Schwab account at some point but Fidelity offers better funds so I don't really need them.

Maybe some people want banking services but it's not really a concern to me. I use Discover and have been happy with them. I will say the ATM fees refunds that Fidelity and Schwab offer sound awesome if you use a lot of cash though.
Thanks.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success." || Buy Total Stock until it hurts. Then find a way to buy even more!

User avatar
calmaniac
Posts: 206
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:32 pm

Re: Vanguard vs Schwab - customer service

Post by calmaniac » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:38 am

lexor wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:56 pm


Schwab has less expensive funds but Vanguard has an all cap international fund. I don't put much weight on the website design because I'm mostly buying and holding. Honestly I would be okay keeping multiple accounts if it were me though.
Agree that being and holding does not require as much website power. But when you start to liquidate funds, doing Roth conversions, or funding a charitable trust, having a website that makes it easy to determine cost basis & capital gains on individual lots is a huge value. My sense is that Schwab and Fidelity do this better than the Vanguard site, but would be interested in others' thoughts on this.

Malinois000
Posts: 155
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:08 pm

Re: Vanguard vs Schwab - customer service

Post by Malinois000 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:21 pm

I have both too. I prefer Schwab for both service and website.

usagi
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:08 am

Re: Vanguard vs Schwab - customer service

Post by usagi » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:31 am

I'll make my standard comment.

I have accounts with Schwab, Fidelity, Vanguard, TDAmerica, FIrstTrade, Morgan Stanley among others. Of those listed I would put Schwab and Fidelity as first tier in customer service, TDAmerica, Morgan Stanley in the second tier, FirstTrade in the third tier, and Vanguard, not in the fourth tier, not in the fifth tier, but in the sixth or seventh tier; in my estimation they are that bad.

I would not even consider this a contest, go with Schwab, Vanguard is simply not in the same league. Schwab has bank like services, local offices, low costs, and service with a smile verses service with a snarl.

My opinion, based on my personal experiences.

bondsr4me
Posts: 1325
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:08 am

Re: Vanguard vs Schwab - customer service

Post by bondsr4me » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:30 pm

I will usually be one (of the many) who post about dissatisfaction with Vanguard.
If they deserve a foot in the behind, they will get it from me.

BUT, fair is fair. This post is to give VG a big Thumbs Up for a customer service issue.

I recently tried to establish check writing for our joint VG account.
I tried doing it online, but the service can't done online for joint accounts at VG (this can be done online at Schwab).
So I called customer service for some help. I got someone who could barely speak English.
This phone call did not go anywhere.
So I sent a secure message. The rep responded with a link for me to use.
Great...except the link did not work...you can't do this function online...only with paper form and that is not on the website).
You would think the links from customer service would work properly, but no, not this one.
I called again.
The rep I spoke to this time sounded like she was on the ball. She herself tried the link I was sent and it did not work for her either.
So she sent me a private email with the form attached to be printed, signed and mailed.
I appreciated her doing this.
Today I received a secure message from a VG rep apologizing for what had happened.
She mentioned us being a client for quite a few years and wants to keep our business.

As I said before, if I have to growl about VG customer service, I am gonna growl.
BUT, I want to be very fair and recognize good customer service too.
So, I say to VG (if you're listening), "Good Job"; it was very much appreciated.

Have a great weekend.

User avatar
Wiggums
Posts: 2741
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:02 am

Re: Vanguard vs Schwab - customer service

Post by Wiggums » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:20 pm

I think it’s hard to compare Vanguard with other brokers. I recent read this article which is a significant difference in operating models.

“Understand that Schwab, the original discount broker, is no longer in the brokerage business. In fact, it appears the asset management business is merely a side business and a money loser at that: They are charging less than their costs. About 61% of Schwab revenue comes from net interest income with most of the rest coming from asset management fees according to Schwab’s most recent 10-Q.”

https://www.financial-planning.com/opin ... domination

lexor
Posts: 649
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:32 am

Re: Vanguard vs Schwab - customer service

Post by lexor » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:51 pm

Wiggums wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:20 pm
I think it’s hard to compare Vanguard with other brokers. I recent read this article which is a significant difference in operating models.

“Understand that Schwab, the original discount broker, is no longer in the brokerage business. In fact, it appears the asset management business is merely a side business and a money loser at that: They are charging less than their costs. About 61% of Schwab revenue comes from net interest income with most of the rest coming from asset management fees according to Schwab’s most recent 10-Q.”

https://www.financial-planning.com/opin ... domination
Why does that make them difficult to compare? I look at the quality of products offered, not operating model.

I guess it would make it difficult to compare banking services given Vanguard doesn't offer them and many other brokers do now - if that's what you meant.
“The miracle of compounding returns is overwhelmed by the tyranny of compounding costs.” -Mr. John C. Bogle

User avatar
Cheez-It Guy
Posts: 600
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:20 pm

Re: Vanguard vs Schwab - customer service

Post by Cheez-It Guy » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:06 pm

Clearly that's not what was meant, but I see you landed another jab.

lexor
Posts: 649
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:32 am

Re: Vanguard vs Schwab - customer service

Post by lexor » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:57 pm

Cheez-It Guy wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:06 pm
Clearly that's not what was meant, but I see you landed another jab.
I can't help that Vanguard failed when they tried to enter banking and I have no sentimental attachments to companies - that's very naive IMO. I would like to see Vanguard lower prices but your premise is wrong if you think I'm anti-Vanguard as I'm financially tied to Vanguard with half a million in taxable Vanguard funds. If they did poorly and had to raise expense ratios I'd be very upset and wouldn't have much recourse.

I think it's a good thing that brokers are entering banking. More competition should drive down prices in banking services too. My understanding is that banking is very profitable (just like asset management). Anytime someone is taking a percentage of your assets or loaned assets it's got to be a good way to make money. I'd like a lot of broker fees to become flat like they are in normal transactions.

You also have many banks entering brokerage business like AllyInvest and Wellstrade. While I haven't examined these services and had horrible experiences with Wells Fargo, these are good things for consumers due to increased competition.
Last edited by lexor on Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The miracle of compounding returns is overwhelmed by the tyranny of compounding costs.” -Mr. John C. Bogle

User avatar
Cheez-It Guy
Posts: 600
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:20 pm

Re: Vanguard vs Schwab - customer service

Post by Cheez-It Guy » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:03 pm

I do like how you don't take anything personally. I need to work on that.

Post Reply