Tax Accountant - Should I DIY

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
ddurrett896

Tax Accountant - Should I DIY

Post by ddurrett896 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:13 pm

Had a rental property and paid an accountant to do my taxes over the past 7 years. Mostly for the rental depreciation and such...I didn't want to think about it.

Rental sold in 2020 and this year so I shouldn't need them anymore. My plan is to let them finish 2020 then DIY.

What prompted this was 1) the rental sold and 2) they charge me $450 to prepare and 2) just tacked on a $150 charge for a general question I asked before selling the property and how it will affect taxes.

This situation reminds me of when I left my American Funds advisor and self managed thru Vanguard. It was overwhelming at first, but I can't imaging not doing it myself now.

My wife file joint, with two employer W2s and contribute to a 401k, Roth, HSA and Depdendent Care FSA. Seems pretty basic. What's do you recommend for tax prep, etc? Thank you!

BogleMelon

Re: Tax Accountant - Should I DIY

Post by BogleMelon » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:15 pm

With your pretty basic tax situation, I would say, go for it. You will never look back.
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:17 pm

The various tax software are very easy to use.

I've used TaxAct.com (online version) for a number of years. Desktop version before that.

If you just have some interest, stock/mutual fund sales it doesn't take that much effort to do it yourself.

We have college age kids (AOTC), but even complex topics are easy to research. With the standard deductions so high, it takes a lot of deductions to get to itemizing.

You could at least give it a try after the 2020 taxes are filed.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words: Whole food, plant based

Topic Author
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:56 pm

Is TaxAct the best platform to use?

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:15 pm

ddurrett896 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:56 pm
I think Turbo Tax is better. The Deluxe version is all you need, but even Basic may be enough. Get the download/cd version. Definitely let the accountant do the 2020 tax year return with the rental sale though.

Cubicle

Post by Cubicle » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:07 am

I switched from an accountant to self preparing a couple of years ago. It seemed daunting. It seemed scary. It was not. And every year it gets easier.

BarDownHockey

Post by BarDownHockey » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:22 am

pshonore wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:15 pm
ddurrett896 wrote:
I think Turbo Tax is better. The Deluxe version is all you need, but even Basic may be enough. Get the download/cd version. Definitely let the accountant do the 2020 tax year return with the rental sale though.
Out of curiosity, why do you recommend the download/CD version vs the online one?

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:28 am

BarDownHockey wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:22 am
pshonore wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:15 pm
ddurrett896 wrote:
Out of curiosity, why do you recommend the download/CD version vs the online one?
I like to work in "Form Mode" when possible. (I've been using TurboTax for almost 25 year and admit to being an old curmudgeon). As I understand it, the online version does not let you see the actual forms or details until you pay (which makes sense for TT)

panhead

Post by panhead » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:00 am

ddurrett896 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:13 pm
Had a rental property and paid an accountant to do my taxes over the past 7 years. Mostly for the rental depreciation and such...I didn't want to think about it.

Rental sold in 2020 and this year so I shouldn't need them anymore. My plan is to let them finish 2020 then DIY.

What prompted this was 1) the rental sold and 2) they charge me $450 to prepare and 2) just tacked on a $150 charge for a general question I asked before selling the property and how it will affect taxes.

This situation reminds me of when I left my American Funds advisor and self managed thru Vanguard. It was overwhelming at first, but I can't imaging not doing it myself now.

My wife file joint, with two employer W2s and contribute to a 401k, Roth, HSA and Depdendent Care FSA. Seems pretty basic. What's do you recommend for tax prep, etc? Thank you!
I also had a rental property which was owned by partnership (me and one friend) and had a CPA do the returns from the time we purchased it. A few years ago I was reviewing what he did and found several mistakes on both the partnership return and my personal return. I decided at that point I would learn to do both returns myself. I decided on TaxAct at the time and have been reasonably happy with it other than the price hikes. We sold the rental property in the partnership last year, and I recently just finished doing that return. It was a bit of work, but I got through it. Going forward, my taxes will be significantly simplified, as will yours.

I don't know if it matters much what software you use, most here like H&R block, TurboTax, and TaxAct. Some like freefillableforms but that's more manual. I would recommend the download however, this way you can toggle between forms and Q&A so you can see and understand how things get populated in the various forms, schedules, etc.

Eagle33

Post by Eagle33 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:16 pm

Recommend you have account do tax return for year you sell RE. Also try tax software for that year so you can overlap and see if your return matches tax preparer version. You can ask preparer questions how he got #s if they do not match your version.
Rocket science is not “rocket science” to a rocket scientist, just as personal finance is not “rocket science” to a Boglehead.

its4inthemorning

Post by its4inthemorning » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:36 pm

Agree with others that moving to DIY before the returns for the year the rental was sold is not a good idea. You would have to input fixed asset and depreciation data that your accountant already has in his system, and although your accountant should provide enough of his worksheets to allow you to do this, he is almost definitely not going to walk you through them.

BTW, I don't think $450 for preparing the returns, or $150 for figuring out tax impact of sale beforehand, are unreasonable.

Topic Author
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:43 am

its4inthemorning wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:36 pm
BTW, I don't think $450 for preparing the returns, or $150 for figuring out tax impact of sale beforehand, are unreasonable.
I think the $450 is acceptable.

The charge for asking a question is unacceptable as it relates to my return. Last year I asked "what documentation is needed for the home office deduction" so I can prepare the utility bills, etc. by month to simplify the process. No charge...