Asset allocation

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Sairam

Asset allocation

Post by Sairam » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:34 am

Hi,

I am planning on doing asset allocation with 70% stocks and 30% bonds. When doing rebalancing, the question I have is does the money in CD's /savings account be placed as part of bonds % or leave it out of asset allocation.

Thanks.

tenkuky

Re: Asset allocation

Post by tenkuky » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:44 am

You either consider cash equivalents part of "fixed income" or consider it in your emergency fund and separate from asset allocation for retirement purposes.
People on this board have different views based on circumstances.
I consider my cash/CD as EF and not AA for retirement.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:45 am

I would exclude any Emergency Fund cash and any near term spending. Say you are going to pay cash for a car in 2 months. I wouldn't count that. Or take a trip this summer and you have $10k set aside.

Count all other cash, CD, bonds as part of the "bond" side.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words: Whole food, plant based

sycamore

Post by sycamore » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:55 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:45 am
I would exclude any Emergency Fund cash and any near term spending. Say you are going to pay cash for a car in 2 months. I wouldn't count that. Or take a trip this summer and you have $10k set aside.

Count all other cash, CD, bonds as part of the "bond" side.
^^ that is what I do, too.

Money intended for expenses are not included in my retirement portfolio AA, regardless of whether that money is in CDs, savings, checking, T-bills, I-Bonds, under the mattress, in a coin jar, or wherever.