File joint fed, but separate state?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
rjsob58

File joint fed, but separate state?

Post by rjsob58 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:54 am

State is VA. Already efiled federal and it has been accepted (married, joint return). If we file joint VA, our refund is about $400 less than if we file separately. I'm using HR Block software and the only downside I can see is that we'll have to file state via paper. If the refund difference was only a few bucks, it probably wouldn't be worth the effort. But $400 is enough to jump through a few hoops.

Are there other issues or risks filing fed as married, but state as separate? Are any of you doing this?

sport

Re: File joint fed, but separate state?

Post by sport » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:10 am

rjsob58 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:54 am
State is VA. Already efiled federal and it has been accepted (married, joint return). If we file joint VA, our refund is about $400 less than if we file separately. I'm using HR Block software and the only downside I can see is that we'll have to file state via paper. If the refund difference was only a few bucks, it probably wouldn't be worth the effort. But $400 is enough to jump through a few hoops.

Are there other issues or risks filing fed as married, but state as separate? Are any of you doing this?
My state requires both Federal and State to filed the same way. So, if I use MFJ for Federal, I must also use it for Ohio.

DarkHelmetII

Post by DarkHelmetII » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:37 am

DC allows filing status to be different. Other poster says Ohio does not. Point is it varies by state.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:43 am

rjsob58 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:54 am
Our state allows this and like you, it is significantly worth our time to do it. The only difference is we can do ours electronically and don't have to file paper forms. I've been doing it this way for 16+ years and have not had an issue.