Hotel Room Search: 1-Bedroom / Door Separating Living Area

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
DarkHelmetII

Hotel Room Search: 1-Bedroom / Door Separating Living Area

Post by DarkHelmetII » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:20 am

What is the best way to search for hotels (not VRBO, airBnB etc...) with a room configuration that is a bedroom area separated by a door? Many hotel rooms have the word "suite" in the description but are "studio suite", "executive suite" etc... I have to manually filter through. Welcome any ideas on sites that can automatically apply this filter.

Stinky

Re: Hotel Room Search: 1-Bedroom / Door Separating Living Area

Post by Stinky » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:21 am

Both Residence Inn and Homewood Suites offer true one-bedroom suites.

At least at the locations I’ve visited.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

student

Post by student » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:25 am

Embassy Suites usually have the type that you want. Also they have free breakfast in the morning and free alcohol at night (reception).

jminv

Post by jminv » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:29 am

You could use Suiteness which makes it easier to search hotels with suites. Suiteness is clear when you're scrolling down the results page whether the suite is a studio or a 1 (or more) bedroom suite. You don't have to click through only to find out it's a studio suite.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:49 am

What stinky and student suggested are my go tos when I want what you are looking for.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:10 am

We filter first by hotel chain that we know has the configuration we want and then search by whatever term they call it.

leeks

Post by leeks » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:19 am

As others noted, choosing a known brand is often the best bet. We also prefer Marriott Residence Inn for this reason.

I totally understand your frustration. With little children, we also always look for what your are describing anytime we stay at a hotel for more than 1 night. Our kids are asleep by 7, if we don't have a door to close on them my husband and I are stuck in the dark and quiet room after 7pm. That's not my idea of vacation, I'm not sure how other families manage to enjoy that.

I have found no reliable way to distinguish true layouts from suites, other than looking at pictures and calling each hotel to confirm the actual layouts. If the suite description says "studio" or "1 room suite", it's not what you want. Most of the time if it says "1-bedroom suite", it will have a door - but not always. If it says 2-bedroom suite you should be good, I've never seen one of those that didn't have at least one door to close.

Another annoyance is that the bathroom is sometimes inside the bedroom so you can't get to it from the main living area. So if the kids are asleep but the adults want to be able to hang out with visitors in the living area, you have to send them downstairs to the hotel lobby to use the bathroom so they don't wake up the kids.

Many will say to book adjoining rooms which are sometimes cheaper, but I am not okay with my 3/5 year olds having their own exit to the hallway. If we had that setup I'd want to keep the door propped open between the rooms as I would also worry they might lock themselves in there, but a propped open door defeats the purpose of having the door! Probably in another year or two adjoining rooms would work fine.

Most hotels do not really offer the best set up for traveling with young children. This is a big reason we often book entire apartments via AirBnB.

leeks

Post by leeks » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:20 am

jminv wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:29 am
You could use Suiteness which makes it easier to search hotels with suites. Suiteness is clear when you're scrolling down the results page whether the suite is a studio or a 1 (or more) bedroom suite. You don't have to click through only to find out it's a studio suite.
I'm going to check this out, thanks for the suggestion.

Topic Author
DarkHelmetII

Post by DarkHelmetII » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:45 am

leeks wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:20 am
jminv wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:29 am
I'm going to check this out, thanks for the suggestion.
suiteness.com is the best I could find. Still a few "hed herrings" as I there are some "studio suites" in there but nonetheless very much did filter down the numerous possibilities. What I failed to mention is that I was searching for Manhattan so many of the usual go-to brands e.g. Embassy Suites, Residence Inn don't have "real" suites or very very few.

Watty

Post by Watty » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:05 am

The Marriott Townplace brand usually has these.