How do in-kind transfers work?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Aguilar

How do in-kind transfers work?

Post by Aguilar » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:32 am

I'm executing an in-kind transfer from Vanguard to eTrade.

My understanding is that my mutual fund assets remain in market the entire time. Is there someone who can explain how the institutions actually pull this off? I'm just curious. Once the money leaves one institution, how does the money remain in market?

And is there any way to do a sanity check after the transfer is completed to ensure it worked properly?

JoMoney

Re: How do in-kind transfers work?

Post by JoMoney » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:38 am

Your shares are never sold, unless you have a cash balance there is no "money" moving, the shares being held at one broker are just moved to another.
Look at the number of shares before and after the move.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

alpenglow

Post by alpenglow » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:42 am

They use a system called ACATS. Here is some info.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/a/acat.asp

I'd print a copy of your account holdings before the move, though I've never had a problem with it.

student

Post by student » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:45 am

alpenglow wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:42 am
They use a system called ACATS. Here is some info.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/a/acat.asp

I'd print a copy of your account holdings before the move, though I've never had a problem with it.
+1. It is pretty seamless. Note that the cost basis may take a week more to transfer over. In any case, print a copy before the transfer...

Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:28 am

Save the statements and a screenshot of your portfolio summary, taking note especially of the total number of shares held in each position. Sometimes people get confused with in-kind transfers if they're looking at a dollar value because the share prices have fluctuated in the meantime. As long as you get the same number of shares at your destination account, you're good to go.

It's quite simple.