What are your not free but still frugal hobbies?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
FireProof

Re: What are your not free but still frugal hobbies?

Post by FireProof » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:50 am

Tennis: A couple of rackets at $60 each last for years. Cans of balls for $2 a pop at Costco, use them at least 3 or 4 times each. String with a modern, playable co-poly, so almost never have to restring. Public courts are free.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:02 am

Gym. Our memberships get used. A lot.

Ushering. Free concerts, plays, etc. for the price of a black jacket and name tag that I’ll never wear anywhere else.

Reading. Library. Free, so it doesn’t qualify for this thread, but still worth mentioning.

Chess. Online, and in person at the library. Both free.

seity

Post by seity » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:05 am

You excluded my hobbies. Reading, video games from GOG, and free mobile games.
Although, I prefer to buy my books.

22twain

Post by 22twain » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:16 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:29 am
22twain wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:27 am
Sandtrap wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:14 am
Love cello concertos by Mahler, Janos Stalker.

j :happy
Mahler wrote a cello concerto? :shock:
Oops. :oops:
Cognitive decline. . . . .
Maybe you were thinking of Yo-Yo Mah. :wink:
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:20 am

JacobTeach wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:35 pm
Inspired by the luxurious hobbies thread, what are your not free but still frugal hobbies?

Let’s define frugal by cost divided by time spent. So a $60 video game that you played for 600 hours would have a cost of $0.10 per hour.

Let’s also exclude free (or nearly free) activities like going for walks, reading (library, free news sources, etc), writing, playing free mobile games, what have you.

I think video games (or games in general) will win the cost per hour metric, but I wonder what else gets close?
Disc golf. Your largest expense will be gas driving to the course. Courses are almost all free. Equipment can be ridiculously cheap.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

bo105954027

Post by bo105954027 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:20 am

I'm the initiator of Luxury Hobbies thread:) I do have a bunch of frugal (not on purpose) hobbies besides the expensive traveling and skiing.

1. Gym - fee fully covered by insurance
2. Reading physical books - $10-20/book, 10-15 hours reading for each, average 1book/1.5mo
3. Watching movies in AMC theaters - 40 movies last year, spent $260 in total with free membership
4. YouTube - $10/mo
5. AoV (a 5v5 mobile game) - free
6. Trolling on Internet (like now) - free

Some intermediate hobbies:
7. dinning out/hanging out with friends
8. some outdoor activities like Treetop, Sailing, BBQ, climbing (only occasional so not much expense)
Time in market beats timing the market.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:25 am

1. Running is my biggest hobby, and it's not terribly expensive, but I spend more than other runners have cited. In addition to shoes--4-6 pair per year for 2000-3000 miles--I need an array of clothing to run through the winter. I buy mostly off-brand running clothes (e.g. Target), and it typically lasts for a few years, but I replace a piece or two every winter.

My bigger expense is travel and marathon registration fees, since I'm trying to run a marathon in every state. I have 28 states in the books, and I'm currently registered for 4 marathons in 3 new states in 2020 (GA, NC, ND). (I'm repeating Boston in April to celebrate my 50th birthday.)

2. I used to collect firearms--and I still have a lot--but I haven't bought any new ones in several years. Running takes up the free time and competitive energies that I used to put into shooting competitions. That makes the hobby pretty cheap now. Just a few range trips per year, and I load most of my own 9 mm and .40 S&W range ammo.

3. You excluded reading, but that is my other big hobby. I go through more than 100 e-books and audiobooks every year. I also listen to several podcasts that feature sci-fi or fantasy short stories. Escape Pod is the oldest, with more than 700 episodes over nearly 15 years.
OpenMinded1 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:55 am
CoastalWinds wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:12 am
Running cost me 2 knee replacements. So my $/hr was considerably higher.

I love the joke about running. Sure, it adds a week to your life per every year of running, but you will have spent that extra time running.
Yep, I think a lower impact activity like biking ends up being less expensive if you can avoid things like getting hit by a bus. :D
Myths aside, I haven't seen any evidence that running contributes to knee issues absent a pre-existing traumatic injury from another sport. The best evidence I've seen shows a lower incidence of knee and hip issues in runners than non-runners.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:25 pm

Auditing or taking classes (especially if a Senior) at a local community college can be very worthwhile - for a modest cost.

I also know some folks that are regular volunteers at a charity's thrift shop - all things provided at no charge.

helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:14 pm

FrugalInvestor wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:07 am
DIY projects around the house instead of hiring things done. This 'hobby' keeps me busy, physically active, mentally sharp (learning and performing new skills) and saves me money so VERY frugal. :happy

Edit: I also run, hike, bike, play cards with friends, etc.
I consider DIY house things and car maintenance my hobby as well. It's actually fun. I seem to look forward to when the oil and filter changes are coming up. Have already bought discounted air and cabin filters and can't wait till the mileage is due for replacement. Weird "hobby" but it wasn't until 1-2 years ago I started doing my own car maintenance and it's been fun and money saving. (ie - buying 6 cartons of mobil one oil at costco when they had a $15 dollar discount per carton!)

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:26 pm

My frugal hobbies are the same as my expensive hobbies: exercising, hiking, mountain climbing, snow shoeing...I've got a lot of equipment (very extensive home gym), but it's all been pieced together over 2 decades and at this point I haven't really purchased anything (except clothes, shoes) in probably the last 5yrs. I have friends/training partners who spend thousands a year on various races/competitions, but I've been there done that and thrown away all the trophies/medals/t-shirts.

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:29 pm

Running is cheap, and good.

Cycling also is cheap and good. I do have some good gear for running/cycling which is a lot up front, but definitely still frugal once you average it out over the 10+ yrs I've been doing it seriously.

Rubik's speedcubing is an awesome hobby that's severely underrated and overlooked by most. It's immensely satisfying in a weird way to master a lot of solving algorithms (there are a LOT) and then execute at faster and faster speeds. The very top of the line cube costs $60 (which is a lot for a cube!) and there are pretty much near-zero additional expenses after that!

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:31 pm

Athletic pursuits can be pretty cheap:

Bicycle riding: I have a nicer road bike (~$1,000 a bit over 10 years ago), but I ride a $300 commuter bike more often. The commuter bike has paid for itself many times over in fuel and maintenance savings. It goes through a chain/cassette every 2-3 years and new tires every other year or so (perhaps $100 year in maintenance).

Weight lifting: I pay $16 a month for my workplace gym, and spent around $1,500 about 5 years ago on a power cage and weight set for the house. It should last decades, so the amortized cost is quite small.

Running: A pair of $100 shoes every year or so

Rock climbing: If you live close to natural rock and boulder, a pair of $100 shoes and a $100 crash pad is all you need. Cost is just fuel to get there.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:26 pm

Daryl wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:37 am
runner3081 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:45 pm
Running? More about getting staying healthy, but still a hobby, I guess.

Well, running (no pun intended) the numbers, it is not cheap :) Nevermind, I guess!

$240 in shoes yearly, 4-pairs.

1,100 miles per year, 140ish hours per year = $1.69 per hour.

Of course, the health benefits are not able to be valued!
I'm getting close to $1K/yr. The Brooks Ghost series sets me back about $130 per par of shoes and I'm already registered for a couple half marathons. The second may involve an overnight stay in a hotel.
I used to do races, not anymore with the prices. Not worth it, to me.

Pu239

Post by Pu239 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:06 pm

1130Super wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:43 am
Pu239 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:02 am
Collecting coins from pocket change.
+1 I got a jar full of silver coins (mostly dimes)
Those were the days! Now I get excited finding a wheatie or early dated nickel. Handing out a 50c piece in change now and then always gets a curious reaction - not many folks see these being circulated.
Between the idea And the reality...Between the motion And the act...Falls the Shadow - T. S. Eliot

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:17 pm

runner3081 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:26 pm
Daryl wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:37 am
runner3081 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:45 pm
Running? More about getting staying healthy, but still a hobby, I guess.

Well, running (no pun intended) the numbers, it is not cheap :) Nevermind, I guess!

$240 in shoes yearly, 4-pairs.

1,100 miles per year, 140ish hours per year = $1.69 per hour.

Of course, the health benefits are not able to be valued!
I'm getting close to $1K/yr. The Brooks Ghost series sets me back about $130 per par of shoes and I'm already registered for a couple half marathons. The second may involve an overnight stay in a hotel.
I used to do races, not anymore with the prices. Not worth it, to me.
I can "race" anytime I want and I'm not the type of person who places sentimental value on trophies or medals; the cost and the hassle aren't worth it. I do train for certain "events" though, for instance I am currently training for a 1-day summit of Utah's highest peak (https://www.summitpost.org/kings-peak/150376) in September with 3 buddies. My wife does a few cycling/tri races a year, but she gets to do it free because her employer is a sponsor.

steve roy

Post by steve roy » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:24 pm

Dog walking. The pups and their noses like it and I get plenty of exercise. (And practice with picking up dog litter.)

kacang

Post by kacang » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:30 pm

Boardgames. Many hours of fun with family, friends & neighbors.

Knitting. A nice set of interchangeable needles (<$200) is good for many projects. Yarn cost is relatively low for hours of leisurely knitting. Successful product can be used by self, gifted or donated to charity. Unsuccessful products can be frogged and the yarn can be reused for something else.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:45 pm

Pu239 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:06 pm
Handing out a 50c piece in change now and then always gets a curious reaction - not many folks see these being circulated.
Yeah what happened to them? They used to be ubiquitous, well they were 50 years ago anyway!

MP173

Post by MP173 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:12 pm

Several hobbies:

Astronomy - new telescope last summer (AT102ED) with mount and a couple of new eyepieces - $1000.00. So far, 39 sessions - $25.64 per session...and dropping each time outside. Anticipated usage is 40 per year for minimum of 5 years. Cost will average $5 per session...a bargain. Last scope purchased in 1999 - $600 (with equipment) - $30.00 per year.

Biking - $500 initial purchase and $100 per year maintenance. Average 100 rides per year. So far - 5 years about $2.00 per ride.

Gardening - who knows? Lots of seed and plant purchases, but lots of great food in return.

Reading books - library card - $0 per year. 40 books per year. Perhaps purchase a couple of books at garage sale for $1.00 total. Cost is 2.5 cents per book, including free library (not including library tax).

Railroad web cam for watching and listening (dispatcher train chatter) on internet - $8 per month...about 25 cents per day. Great background noise distraction while working.

Guitar playing - sunk cost into equipment purchased 15-20 years ago. Probably $2000 total, hence $100 per year.

Garage sales - wife and I enjoy going to garage and estate sales. Probably spend $5 per trip.

Ed

geerhardusvos

Post by geerhardusvos » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:32 pm

reading the Bible, Calvin, Geerhardus Vos
Spending time with wife and friends over a home cooked meal
Soccer with friends and kids
Miller High Life :beer
Serving others
Exercise
VTSAX and chill

The Broz

Post by The Broz » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:46 pm

In a prior life, I had a job with odd hours and I didn't know what to do with myself. I decided to volunteer at the local non-profit animal shelter. Great gig. You could come and go as you pleased (they did not make you sign up for specific shifts), and you could basically help out wherever you had interest.
If you want to keep you mind active and challenged, there are something like 1.5 jillion classes online that you can take on any topic for free or next to free. For example - I have decided that I want to pursue an encore career in tech. I am taking a very content-rich class on Udemy for something like $10-20. Do I think that this class will get me a job in and of itself? No, but it sets a foundation for future learning.

alpenglow

Post by alpenglow » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:54 pm

I really enjoy cooking and baking. I'm way ahead compared to buying prepared foods/eating out.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:16 pm

22twain wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:16 am
Sandtrap wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:29 am
22twain wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:27 am
Sandtrap wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:14 am
Love cello concertos by Mahler, Janos Stalker.

Mahler wrote a cello concerto? :shock:
Oops. :oops:
Cognitive decline. . . . .
Maybe you were thinking of Yo-Yo Mah. :wink:
I read this and thought...Wait. Yo Yo Ma wrote a cello concerto? How did I miss that? And then I noticed the spelling...sometimes I'm a little slow.

WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:38 pm

I have a few ...

Bread making — By hand, no electronics required! It’s very therapeutic, smells great, tastes wonderful and makes a great gift. Now that I am not teaching anymore, I have really had to cut back since I still have 35 lbs to loose.

Photo Editing — I have over 200,000 images (digital, BW, Color, Slides) from when I started my photography hobby back when I was 10 or so. Want to ditch the garbage, the So-so shots and and catalog the rest. Starting with family photos since they have the most emotional value. Everything gets published to my Smugmug site so it’s organized, backed up, and searchable.

My Dad left 40,000+ slides and boxes of negatives all jumbled together, sigh. Promised I wouldn’t do that to my daughter.

Woodturning — Might be pushing the frugal label but I haven’t had to spend anything on a lathe, tools, dust collector, bandsaw in many years. So much wood is easily available around me that I rarely buy any. It’s a great hobby, helps me keep my mind and body in synch, and appeals to my inner artistic nature. Definitely a learning curve but that makes it intellectually stimulating and a great social outlet. Plus, my family and friends usually love a handmade bowl, platter, pen, bottle stopper or show-piece.

WoodSpinner

Cubicle

Post by Cubicle » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:05 am

Maintenance on the house/yard/cars. Upfront cost of equipment, but I have most of what I need at this point.. But I save on paying others to do the work. I burn calories. I get fresh air. I get sunlight. I learn how to fix what I just did wrong.

bikesandbeers

Post by bikesandbeers » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:27 am

As you might guess by my name, I will second the bikes comment and add home brewing beer.
I have spent a good amount of money on bicycles, but you can get something decent used for $500, and bike maintenance is pretty easy to learn. My ebike was a car replacement so i can justify that as frugal.

I've been using the same homebrew equipment for over 10 years now, most of which I bought used to start with. I've lost track of how many batches I've done to amortize the cost of equipment, but on a materials basis, I can brew 10 gallons of beer for less than $50, or around $0.60 per pint compared to $2/pint for store bought or $6-7 at a restaurant or bar.

beernutz

Post by beernutz » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:19 pm

I am also a homebrewer since 1991. I spent about $3k back in 2013 to build a nice brewing rig, chest freezer fermenter, and keezer but the last few years my primary expenses are ingredients. Ten gallon batches are pretty easy to pull off for less than $50, even fancy expensive recipes like NEIPAs if you buy in bulk.
My biggest problem with the hobby is that I've gained about 30 lbs over the time since I upgraded my equipment, probably all of it attributable to homebrew.

vshun

Post by vshun » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:07 pm

For more adventurous minds I would pitch whitewater kayaking. Invest once in gear and some skills/clinics/lessons and you are all set. In my area on Potomac whitewater is free so every visit is just gas costs.
Compare it with something like mountain biking where bike is always in some maintenance/repair or snowboarding with all the costs.
I suspect kite surfing is similar, initial investment+ lessons/skills and then it becomes close to being free, if one lives away from whitewater and close to the ocean with some wind.

Lovey

Post by Lovey » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:45 pm

Does couponing count?
Yes, I coupon for groceries but I will exclude that.
I coupon weekly for household, health and beauty items. A few hours per week prepping and shopping. My out of pocket about $5 to $10 weekly average with my coupons.
That $10 will get me toothpaste, toothbrush, laundry detergent, paper towels, toilet paper, shampoo, conditioner, makeup, etc.
I am an extreme couponer and supply my family, extended family and in-laws plus I donate. It saves LOTS of money and its fun.

15 bottles of laundry detergent is low.:)

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:07 pm

vshun wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:07 pm
For more adventurous minds I would pitch whitewater kayaking. Invest once in gear and some skills/clinics/lessons and you are all set. In my area on Potomac whitewater is free so every visit is just gas costs.
Compare it with something like mountain biking where bike is always in some maintenance/repair or snowboarding with all the costs.
I suspect kite surfing is similar, initial investment+ lessons/skills and then it becomes close to being free, if one lives away from whitewater and close to the ocean with some wind.
Or join a club and use their kayaks. When we belonged to the club, I think we paid $250/year, and the kayaks were stored right at the water, so we didn’t need to worry about either owning any expensive equipment or transporting it anywhere. We rode our bikes to the club, jumped in the kayaks, and took off.

But yeah. Very fun. Good exercise, too.

Iridium

Post by Iridium » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:51 pm

1130Super wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:38 am
How are you getting 1000 hours of use on a deck of cards? I go through a good deck of plastic cards ($5) probably every 50hrs because they wear out.
In what way are they wearing out for you? Are they getting curled or something else? I have been working on the no bend shuffle demonstrated here: https://youtu.be/Pd-71L3KoOI and it seems to do the job.
kacang wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:30 pm
Boardgames. Many hours of fun with family, friends & neighbors.
Boardgames are my frugal hobby as well. Unfortunately, the new stuff is increasingly sticking in minis which drive up the cost of the game. However, most good games can still be had for under $60, and unlike video games, only one person needs a copy for an entire group to play (though video games likely still win on a $/hr basis).

Not in the hobby, but relates: tabletop RPGs. Always wondered how those managed to stay in business. Players never needed anything more than the $40-50 player guide and some off the shelf dice, and even the GM is spending under a couple bucks per session on campaign guides (assuming they are bought new). It is possible to go nuts in buying supplements, but from the outside, it seems highly unnecessary.

Tshaner1

Post by Tshaner1 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:59 pm

Me too on bike riding and The NY Times crossword. I’ll add in hiking and camping.

heyyou

Post by heyyou » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:48 am

I like backpacking in the fault block (rugged) mountains that are visible in the distance from my neighborhood, but it is over a dozen miles to drive to any of the trailheads. The trail maintenance (making something better, and I have the time to do it) keeps me coming back. Turns out that where a big tree falls one year (more snow and more water for summer growth on the north side of each mountain), often there will be another big tree or two, down within a hundred yards of it, every following year. It is similar to knowing a neighborhood in those places where people live.

Home cooking, not for the challenge, just for food that suits me better than going out. At home, I have peanut sauce on any dish I choose. My favorite salad dressing is a little of 3-4 put on, in different proportions, each time.

A well written murder mystery, started and finished in one day, is preferable to watching an hour or two of a TV show advised by the same successful author. I buy those books at the thrift store, then give them back.

RootSki

Post by RootSki » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:59 am

Smoking meats. A good electric smoker is <$400. Ribs, brisket, pork belly are some of the cheapest cuts of meat per pound, and you’re already spending money on food. Spices, wood chips & bbq sauce are also pretty cheap. This is a great hobby and you have to eat anyway. Including food prep, 3 racks of ribs takes 5 to 7 hours, and you can do other things while it’s smoking.

The only “downside” is once you figure out how to make BBQ they way you like it, you’ll never order anything BBQ in a restaurant because you realize how cheap and easy it is to do it your self.

mancich

Post by mancich » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:29 am

Learning advanced Excel skills on YouTube (cost of Internet only). I recommend ExcelisFun. The guy who teaches it is awesome (I have no affiliation with him, I just think he is great)

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:19 am

For the sheer joy, pets. Not really expensive if budgeted for. My cats are self insured, having had pretty good health for all of their 17 - yes, they are old - years and I have been putting $100 a month into their savings account since I got them as kittens. For fun, I tried raising chickens...too much work and my last one Ms. Olivia died last year. Smart, affectionate and funny, chickens are much underrated as pets, but are subjected to sudden death syndrome.

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:52 am

Travel can be quite cheap (relative to staying home) if you plan carefully and avoid tourist traps.

A friend at work took a 16-day Transatlantic luxury cruise for $600. At that rate he could live on the ship for $1200/month, all meals included plus free shows every night, gym, games, free transit to different ports all the time, etc. Pretty cheap.
Last edited by snackdog on Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:54 am

Mr. Rumples wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:19 am
For the sheer joy, pets. Not really expensive if budgeted for. My cats are self insured, having had pretty good health for all of their 17 - yes, they are old - years and I have been putting $100 a month into their savings account since I got them as kittens. For fun, I tried raising chickens...too much work and my last one Ms. Olivia died last year. Smart, affectionate and funny, chickens are much underrated as pets, but are subjected to sudden death syndrome.

What?? On the family farm, growing up, I regularly raised chickens as a 4H project (both for eggs and for meat) and I never saw (or even heard of) a chicken having "sudden death syndrome". Almost all of my chicken deaths were due to having their heads chopped off - and served as dinner for the family! We would kill the chicken (either my father or I did the deed), take off the feathers in hot water, remove the intestines and internal organs (saving the heart, liver and gizzard to be eaten), and cut off the legs.

halfnine

Post by halfnine » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:23 am

snackdog wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:52 am
Travel can be quite cheap (relative to staying home) if you plan carefully and avoid tourist traps.

A friend at work took a 16-day Transatlantic luxury cruise for $600. At that rate he could live on the ship for $1200/month, all meals included plus free shows every night, gym, games, free transit to different ports all the time, etc. Pretty cheap.
When I travel it is normally for the year. Doesn't cost any more per year than staying at home.

Old Guy

Post by Old Guy » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:37 am

Downloading free books, almost entirely science fiction, for my kindle/iPad from https://www.ereaderiq.com/freebies/. Some of is bad. Some ok. Some pretty good.

Working out four or five days a week. We own a Marriott timeshare week 10 minutes by bike from where we live. We have access to the facilities, pools, gym, restaurant, every day as local owners. The yearly fees aren’t cheap but besides having access to it we trade it through Interval International usually for a week in Palm Desert. Our son is in LA so he comes and visits.
Last edited by Old Guy on Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:50 am

retire57 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:50 pm
New York Times crossword puzzle annual subscription- $45.
I think I'm paying less than that, but I don't remember what sort of deal I wound up getting.

At any rate, I'm averaging about 100 minutes a week of solving, or over 85 hours a year. So not a bad per-hour cost, even at $45/yr!
Stay on target...

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:51 am

dm200 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:54 am
Mr. Rumples wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:19 am

What?? On the family farm, growing up, I regularly raised chickens as a 4H project (both for eggs and for meat) and I never saw (or even heard of) a chicken having "sudden death syndrome". Almost all of my chicken deaths were due to having their heads chopped off - and served as dinner for the family! We would kill the chicken (either my father or I did the deed), take off the feathers in hot water, remove the intestines and internal organs (saving the heart, liver and gizzard to be eaten), and cut off the legs.
When I would pull up in my vehicle, Ms. Olivia would greet me. If I drove my vehicle up with my brother in the passenger seat, she would come to my door; if he drove my vehicle and I was in the passenger seat, she would come to my door. Last fall,when I drove up, she was in the yard, on her back. Not even the hawks or vultures we have around were interested. I took her to the vet and that was his diagnosis. I found this link regarding it:

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/ ... r-chickens

Ms. Olivia and the others were "rescues" no doubt raised in conditions that would have been conducive to SDS.

GeMoney

Post by GeMoney » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:00 pm

Detailing my car. When I do this all of my stress, worries, etc temporary goes away as I focus on the task at hand. I tend to keep my cars a long time as long as it is running well and looks good. I tend to get compliments from strangers and the rare offer to buy my car on the stop when I do this.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:03 pm

GeMoney wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:00 pm
Detailing my car. When I do this all of my stress, worries, etc temporary goes away as I focus on the task at hand. I tend to keep my cars a long time as long as it is running well and looks good. I tend to get compliments from strangers and the rare offer to buy my car on the stop when I do this.
With many decades of 20/20 hindsight -- I now wish I had developed the skill and interest in being able to do such things.

getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:38 pm

I love calculating cost per mile of exercise gear. Running wound up being pretty cheap per mile and is really easy to economize if one doesn't go crazy on races. Cycling is more of a challenge but this year I should put about 4000 miles on a $700 set-up (used carbon bike, trainer, pedals, various clothing and parts replacement.) I don't think I can call it frugal, exactly, but cost per mile will be pretty sweet, especially if I can get two years out of this set-up.

Afty

Post by Afty » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:46 pm

I enjoy cooking. Ingredients and equipment can be expensive, but much cheaper than eating out. Healthier too.

I get immense satisfaction when I make something that my kids enjoy. There's probably a deep-buried evolutionary reason for that. :D

chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:47 pm

Watching youtube videos to learn how to do home and automotive tasks. I buy all the tools I need and still come out ahead, and learn new things.

Hiking. After boots and walking poles, free.

Cycling. I have a LOT of $$ invested, probably $10K, but I've been at it for 16 years, so the cost per ride or per mile is really low.

Our local community gym. $17/month for each of us, so it may be $4/visit.

Pickleball. $100 to get started and very low court fees at a local club. Gotta love the senior discounts.

Netflix and Amazon. More quality programming than I have time or interest to watch.

Reading. Time to investigate things I always had an interest in, but no time.

ronno2018

Post by ronno2018 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:57 pm

Old Guy wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:37 am
Downloading free books, almost entirely science fiction, for my kindle/iPad from https://www.ereaderiq.com/freebies/. Some of is bad. Some ok. Some pretty good.

Working out four or five days a week. We own a Marriott timeshare week 10 minutes by bike from where we live. We have access to the facilities, pools, gym, restaurant, every day as local owners. The yearly fees aren’t cheap but besides having access to it we trade it through Interval International usually for a week in Palm Desert. Our son is in LA so he comes and visits.
Don't forget about your local library -- they likely have ebooks downloadable from their website, you can even put them on a Kindle device, or any tablet or phone.

That is an awesome use of a timeshare! I had no idea about the local owner privileges option, really a good frugal option versus other club memberships I bet?

retire57

Post by retire57 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:23 pm

JupiterJones wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:50 am
retire57 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:50 pm
New York Times crossword puzzle annual subscription- $45.
I think I'm paying less than that, but I don't remember what sort of deal I wound up getting.

At any rate, I'm averaging about 100 minutes a week of solving, or over 85 hours a year. So not a bad per-hour cost, even at $45/yr!
Wow! :beer You got me beat. My estimate is 155 minutes per week for 7 puzzles. Or ... does that mean I'm ahead on value :D ?

FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:35 pm

mancich wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:29 am
Learning advanced Excel skills on YouTube (cost of Internet only). I recommend ExcelisFun. The guy who teaches it is awesome (I have no affiliation with him, I just think he is great)
Thanks for the reminder. I have been meaning to relearn Excel for a while now. Will check this out.