Best watch for around $5,000?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
User avatar
Topic Author
Petrocelli
Posts: 2812
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:29 pm
Location: Fenway Park, between 2nd and 3rd base

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by Petrocelli » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:08 pm

psteinx wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:47 pm
While it's nice for Petro that the asking price for 3 items (the prints, the Rolex, his house) have all apparently gone up over the years, I would issue some cautions:

1) The apparent fact that the artist now asks more for the same prints doesn't mean so much. I suspect that if Petro himself tried to sell his prints, via EBay or whatever, he would net a fairly small amount in relation to the artist's asking price on his own website. As a wild guess, perhaps 30-50% (again, netting transaction costs), and if that left a profit versus his buy price, he'd owe high collectibles tax on the profit. Realistically, if/when his kids try to sell these things, 20-40 years from now, they'd probably realize even less, inflation adjusted. That's not a comment on the specific artist (I don't know anything about him/her), but just being realistic about photographic prints, of which there are likely many for any particular image.

2) Re: the Rolex. Yes, pricey watches in general, and perhaps Rolex in particular, have enjoyed a bit of a boom in the last couple decades or so. But Rolex (and others) are cranking them out, and old collectors/owners die off. So the market must swallow both new production and the sell-off from those dying or getting out of the hobby. Smart phones have only been around for what - a decade or so? And smart watches about half as long. For the latter in particular, the improvements in general functionality and battery life are likely to continue to be quite strong over the next decade plus, and I wonder how many folks in the 20-35 generation will ever become true mechanical watch enthusiasts, compared to say, the current 50-65 generation. Perhaps many of these Rolexes, a few decades hence, will end up in drawers and boxes, not all that differently from, say, stamps that were collected by folks a century or so ago.

For both 1 and 2, to be clear, Petro, and others, may get immense personal satisfaction from owning/using these things, in his lifetime. That's fine. I'm mainly cautioning against an expectation of financial gain or even breaking even, in real terms, over the long haul, on average/expectation.

3) Housing. Not entirely sure where Petro lives. Certainly, some parts of the country have seen immense price appreciation. But for large sections of the country, price appreciation has been modest at best - inflation-ish or less. I'd guess <10% of the housing stock in existence ca. 1980 has seen price appreciation at Petro's level. Kudos to Petro. If his purchase was at least in part a sort of investment by design, further kudos. But for most of us, a house is a place to live, and the specific choice we make is dominated by considerations other than the possibility of fabulous returns. We live where employment, family, and our history/interests are. The problem with retelling, too often, the stories of a house going up in value by ~5x is that it encourages young folks to think of a house as sort of "free". Yeah, sure the mortgage cost may be 2x that of a rental (plus maintenance and the like that a young person may neglect/underestimate). But you'll make it all back (and more!) from the fabulous appreciation!
All good points.

With respect to the watch and the prints, appreciation doesn't matter. I'm not ever selling them. However, if I was to buy any of them today, they would all cost more.

With respect to the house, when I bought it, I fully expected it would appreciated. I bought the smallest house in the neighborhood, and it has an ocean view. Like I said, I paid $625,000 for it.] A lot downhill from ours is on the market for $3,650,000 with no house on it. So it looks like my kids will be OK when I pass on.

As an aside, when my son was young, we started collecting basketball cards. We started the year Kobe Bryant was a rookie, and we probably have 20-30 Kobe rookie cards. As for their value .... I don't care because I'm not selling them either.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)

mroe800
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:37 am

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by mroe800 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:17 pm

knpstr wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:13 pm
Thanks for that caution.
Thanks to you I won't sell all of my index funds to buy Rolex watches and prints...
A Rolex is really more a hedge than anything else; an alternate form of currency even. :happy

lukestuckenhymer
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 11:53 am

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by lukestuckenhymer » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:18 pm

Chip Shot wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:49 pm
I would literally have to have 100 million dollars before I would consider spending 5K on a watch, and I probably still wouldnt. I have a cell phone that tells me what time of day it is. But hey, whatever floats your boat
Such ostentatious displays of wealth really make me scratch my head. The same way I wonder who would ever buy a gold-plated toilet. I could think of a thousand better ways to spend $5,000.

corysold
Posts: 860
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:58 pm

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by corysold » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:21 pm

lukestuckenhymer wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:18 pm
Chip Shot wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:49 pm
I would literally have to have 100 million dollars before I would consider spending 5K on a watch, and I probably still wouldnt. I have a cell phone that tells me what time of day it is. But hey, whatever floats your boat
Such ostentatious displays of wealth really make me scratch my head. The same way I wonder who would ever buy a gold-plated toilet. I could think of a thousand better ways to spend $5,000.
I'm not sure someone appreciating, and choosing to wear, a well crafted piece of jewelry is the definition of "ostentatious".

mak1277
Posts: 1240
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:26 pm

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by mak1277 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:22 pm

lukestuckenhymer wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:18 pm
Chip Shot wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:49 pm
I would literally have to have 100 million dollars before I would consider spending 5K on a watch, and I probably still wouldnt. I have a cell phone that tells me what time of day it is. But hey, whatever floats your boat
Such ostentatious displays of wealth really make me scratch my head. The same way I wonder who would ever buy a gold-plated toilet. I could think of a thousand better ways to spend $5,000.
Do you feel the same way about a $30,000 car? I'd much rather spend $20k on a car and $10k on a Rolex than spending $30k or more on a car.

lukestuckenhymer
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 11:53 am

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by lukestuckenhymer » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:25 pm

mak1277 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:22 pm
lukestuckenhymer wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:18 pm
Chip Shot wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:49 pm
I would literally have to have 100 million dollars before I would consider spending 5K on a watch, and I probably still wouldnt. I have a cell phone that tells me what time of day it is. But hey, whatever floats your boat
Such ostentatious displays of wealth really make me scratch my head. The same way I wonder who would ever buy a gold-plated toilet. I could think of a thousand better ways to spend $5,000.
Do you feel the same way about a $30,000 car? I'd much rather spend $20k on a car and $10k on a Rolex than spending $30k or more on a car.
$30k is a little much for me, but the utility I can get out of a car is far closer to $30,000 than the utility I get out of a watch (which I would approximate at $10).

User avatar
watchnerd
Posts: 3403
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by watchnerd » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:27 pm

I turn 50 this year.

I plan to get the recreation of the 1970 Seiko 6105 dive watch, which was issued in the year I was born, and also featured in several movies, such as Apocalypse Now:

https://www.seikowatches.com/global-en/ ... ecreation/

Current prices are about $4500.

It only has prestige value to people in the know.

Anti-bling.
70% Global Market Weight Equities | 15% Long Treasuries 15% short TIPS & cash || RSU + ESPP

ronno2018
Posts: 208
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:31 am

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by ronno2018 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:41 pm

watchnerd wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:27 pm
I turn 50 this year.

I plan to get the recreation of the 1970 Seiko 6105 dive watch, which was issued in the year I was born, and also featured in several movies, such as Apocalypse Now:

https://www.seikowatches.com/global-en/ ... ecreation/

Current prices are about $4500.

It only has prestige value to people in the know.

Anti-bling.
That Seiko is awesome. Me, I am getting a Vostok Amphibia 110750 ($59) after I enjoy my Vostok Komadirskie 211288 ($41) for a few months.
:sharebeer

Carol88888
Posts: 219
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:24 am

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by Carol88888 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:56 pm

I have a Rolex that was given to me as a gift from my parents. Twice I have had to have it repaired at a cost of $895 a pop.

I don't even like wearing it because I feel it makes a statement about consumption that doesn't fit my idea of who I am.

Currently I have a Timex on my wrist. When it stops working I'll just pop in a new battery. Also It has a feature that makes it glow in dark to be readable. My Rolex doesn't do that.

EnjoyIt
Posts: 3403
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:06 pm

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by EnjoyIt » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:18 pm

Carol88888 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:56 pm
I have a Rolex that was given to me as a gift from my parents. Twice I have had to have it repaired at a cost of $895 a pop.
I think that is why such a watch is not for me. I don’t want things that complicate my life. A watch like that adds a tiny amount of additional complexity. But, if you add up all the possible complexities out there, they sure do add up.

I want to simply my life. This is why I have a solar watch with automatic daylight savings time and leap year, want an electric car and don’t own a vacation home.

User avatar
knpstr
Posts: 2481
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:57 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by knpstr » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:44 pm

lukestuckenhymer wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:25 pm
mak1277 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:22 pm
lukestuckenhymer wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:18 pm
Chip Shot wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:49 pm
I would literally have to have 100 million dollars before I would consider spending 5K on a watch, and I probably still wouldnt. I have a cell phone that tells me what time of day it is. But hey, whatever floats your boat
Such ostentatious displays of wealth really make me scratch my head. The same way I wonder who would ever buy a gold-plated toilet. I could think of a thousand better ways to spend $5,000.
Do you feel the same way about a $30,000 car? I'd much rather spend $20k on a car and $10k on a Rolex than spending $30k or more on a car.
$30k is a little much for me, but the utility I can get out of a car is far closer to $30,000 than the utility I get out of a watch (which I would approximate at $10).
Of course the utility you'd get from a $30k to $20k car would be approximately $0. Both are highly likely to get you from point A to B with no trouble whatsoever.
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

User avatar
Topic Author
Petrocelli
Posts: 2812
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:29 pm
Location: Fenway Park, between 2nd and 3rd base

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by Petrocelli » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:20 pm

lukestuckenhymer wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:18 pm
Such ostentatious displays of wealth really make me scratch my head. The same way I wonder who would ever buy a gold-plated toilet. I could think of a thousand better ways to spend $5,000.
My Rolex is not ostentatious at all. If you don't look at it very, very closely, you wouldn't know what brand it is.

You can see it here:

https://www.demesy.com/rolex-datejust-i ... al-116300/

As for the gold plated toilet seat, I may get one for my 65th. Maybe I should start a thread titled "Best Gold Plated toilet seat".

Maybe you could think of better ways to spend $5,000. I could too. [OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)

User avatar
Topic Author
Petrocelli
Posts: 2812
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:29 pm
Location: Fenway Park, between 2nd and 3rd base

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by Petrocelli » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:23 pm

knpstr wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:44 pm
Of course the utility you'd get from a $30k to $20k car would be approximately $0. Both are highly likely to get you from point A to B with no trouble whatsoever.
I drive Mercedes with a sticker price of around $55,000. I can assure you, the comfort you get driving it is worth something when you are driving from point A to point B.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)

User avatar
knpstr
Posts: 2481
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:57 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by knpstr » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:52 pm

Petrocelli wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:23 pm
knpstr wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:44 pm
Of course the utility you'd get from a $30k to $20k car would be approximately $0. Both are highly likely to get you from point A to B with no trouble whatsoever.
I drive Mercedes with a sticker price of around $55,000. I can assure you, the comfort you get driving it is worth something when you are driving from point A to point B.
"worth something" that is true, but how much? For example, compared to a $20K car you are paying $35,000 just for "comfort".

We must remember, the "other side" of this coin is that your "extra wealth" may ALSO have very low utility (if all of your needs are met and you still have extra money - that extra money has very little utility).

That is why $35,000 more for "luxury" seems outrageous to one with a relative low net worth, whereas it may not seem so outrageous to someone with say much larger net worth. It is why arguments like this take place.

The car example was to prove the point that we all - to some degree - "waste money" on luxuries, even those admonishing your rolex.
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

JacobTeach
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:19 am

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by JacobTeach » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:23 am

I am pulled in both directions regarding this topic and could use advice (I’m contemplating the purchase of a nice watch as well). Let me share my thoughts, though I do lean towards validating the purchase.

On one hand, bogleheads generally live very frugally in all aspects of life except perhaps eating out more than necessary. They save and invest. They understand that $5k today is $21.6k in 30 years at 5% compounded or $35.2k after 40 years. They coined LBYM and are financially conservative. They optimize asset allocation in terms of risk and taxes. They optimize credit card reward points, brokerage and banking bonuses, and money market/CD/saving account yields. Some even attend timeshare presentations to get more free stuff and seize every opportunity for free samples at Costco each Sunday.

So, after all that, if you don’t spend your money on the luxuries in life, why work and save/invest/optimize so diligently? What do you spend on? Your rainy day fund only needs to get so big. Keep in mind OP was considering the watch for turning 50, not 25.

Furthermore, let’s say this watch is the one splurge of an otherwise financially discerning boglehead. After 40 years, does having $1.035M versus $1.000M or $2.035M versus $2.000M in retirement assets make a big difference? I don’t think so.

BUT! It’s just a watch! It’s men’s jewelry! You can buy something more accurate with the same function for $10! All true, but it’s hard to quantify the joy from wearing a $5k piece of fine engineering to the utility of a $10 tool, especially since it’s subjective. You can’t quantify the delight OP feels from his boss’ reaction or when he checks the time and is reminded of his loving wife. Or of the joy his children get when the watch is passed on (or would his children rather have $35.2k?).

Wouldn’t it be too extreme to evaluate all non-essential spending in the same light? Eating out vs at home? Expensive carbon fiber road bike vs a cheaper model for a hobbyist cycler? $5k over time in cable TV over watching free channels? Luxury versus affordable cars assuming equal safety features? Business vs economy for someone that can comfortably sit in economy seats? Etc. There are always cheaper alternatives to functionally equivalent things.

It’s just interesting that bogleheads didn’t blink at the luxurious hobbies thread (linked below), where $5k looks cheap, but are so agitated in this thread.

Anyways, though is sounds like I’m clearly for making the watch purchase, I haven’t done so yet because, at least for me, I’m not quite sure if I rather have a $5k watch today or $35k tomorrow.



For those against buying a Rolex: what luxuries (besides experiences, because that’s a whole new kettle of fish) do you spend your money on? Are any splurges acceptable? Have these added up to more than $5k? I’m sure you’re not living like Diogenes :mrgreen:





Luxurious hobbies: viewtopic.php?t=303394

EnjoyIt
Posts: 3403
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:06 pm

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by EnjoyIt » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:44 am

JacobTeach wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:23 am
I am pulled in both directions regarding this topic and could use advice (I’m contemplating the purchase of a nice watch as well). Let me share my thoughts, though I do lean towards validating the purchase.

On one hand, bogleheads generally live very frugally in all aspects of life except perhaps eating out more than necessary. They save and invest. They understand that $5k today is $21.6k in 30 years at 5% compounded or $35.2k after 40 years. They coined LBYM and are financially conservative. They optimize asset allocation in terms of risk and taxes. They optimize credit card reward points, brokerage and banking bonuses, and money market/CD/saving account yields. Some even attend timeshare presentations to get more free stuff and seize every opportunity for free samples at Costco each Sunday.

So, after all that, if you don’t spend your money on the luxuries in life, why work and save/invest/optimize so diligently? What do you spend on? Your rainy day fund only needs to get so big. Keep in mind OP was considering the watch for turning 50, not 25.

Furthermore, let’s say this watch is the one splurge of an otherwise financially discerning boglehead. After 40 years, does having $1.035M versus $1.000M or $2.035M versus $2.000M in retirement assets make a big difference? I don’t think so.

BUT! It’s just a watch! It’s men’s jewelry! You can buy something more accurate with the same function for $10! All true, but it’s hard to quantify the joy from wearing a $5k piece of fine engineering to the utility of a $10 tool, especially since it’s subjective. You can’t quantify the delight OP feels from his boss’ reaction or when he checks the time and is reminded of his loving wife. Or of the joy his children get when the watch is passed on (or would his children rather have $35.2k?).

Wouldn’t it be too extreme to evaluate all non-essential spending in the same light? Eating out vs at home? Expensive carbon fiber road bike vs a cheaper model for a hobbyist cycler? $5k over time in cable TV over watching free channels? Luxury versus affordable cars assuming equal safety features? Business vs economy for someone that can comfortably sit in economy seats? Etc. There are always cheaper alternatives to functionally equivalent things.

It’s just interesting that bogleheads didn’t blink at the luxurious hobbies thread (linked below), where $5k looks cheap, but are so agitated in this thread.

Anyways, though is sounds like I’m clearly for making the watch purchase, I haven’t done so yet because, at least for me, I’m not quite sure if I rather have a $5k watch today or $35k tomorrow.



For those against buying a Rolex: what luxuries (besides experiences, because that’s a whole new kettle of fish) do you spend your money on? Are any splurges acceptable? Have these added up to more than $5k? I’m sure you’re not living like Diogenes :mrgreen:





Luxurious hobbies: viewtopic.php?t=303394
1) I would rather get $35.2k as opposed to a watch. I have more use for the money. The younger generation is probably less likely to want a watch as they like the digital watches.

2) You made a lot of claims on what a boglehead is and does. One you missed is that we tend to spend money on experiences vs things which is why the hobby thread gets less flack.

3) Lastly, if a watch costing $5k makes one happy, and they can afford it without sacrificing anything, then why not? Get the watch and enjoy it. Just don’t let me a stepping stone into buying more and more expensive things if it causes real harm to your financial future.

User avatar
Sandi_k
Posts: 1207
Joined: Sat May 16, 2015 11:55 am
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by Sandi_k » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:08 pm

JacobTeach wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:23 am
I am pulled in both directions regarding this topic and could use advice (I’m contemplating the purchase of a nice watch as well). Let me share my thoughts, though I do lean towards validating the purchase.

BUT! It’s just a watch! It’s men’s jewelry! You can buy something more accurate with the same function for $10! All true, but it’s hard to quantify the joy from wearing a $5k piece of fine engineering to the utility of a $10 tool, especially since it’s subjective. You can’t quantify the delight OP feels from his boss’ reaction or when he checks the time and is reminded of his loving wife. Or of the joy his children get when the watch is passed on (or would his children rather have $35.2k?).
There is one other path: buy the luxury for your partner, and have the partner buy one for you. @Petrocelli managed his $5k watch because it WAS a gift from his wife. ;)

I bought my DH an Omega Skyfall watch - used - a couple of years ago. It cost ~ $3k. And every time he wears it, we both have a shared moment of pleasure to see something so beautiful, and so well made. It really is a watch that is stunning.

He would never have bought it for himself. And I would never have bought it for myself. But as a gift, the value and pleasure in it is magnified.

User avatar
Topic Author
Petrocelli
Posts: 2812
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:29 pm
Location: Fenway Park, between 2nd and 3rd base

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by Petrocelli » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:22 pm

Sandi_k wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:08 pm

There is one other path: buy the luxury for your partner, and have the partner buy one for you. @Petrocelli managed his $5k watch because it WAS a gift from his wife. ;)

I bought my DH an Omega Skyfall watch - used - a couple of years ago. It cost ~ $3k. And every time he wears it, we both have a shared moment of pleasure to see something so beautiful, and so well made. It really is a watch that is stunning.

He would never have bought it for himself. And I would never have bought it for myself. But as a gift, the value and pleasure in it is magnified.
Brilliant! I have trying to say that for about 5 years...
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)

JacobTeach
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:19 am

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by JacobTeach » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:03 pm

2) I actually did mention experiences :) and I guess it could be argued that wearing a fine watch is an experience.

3) agreed! That’s my point, if you can afford it (boglehead definition), why not?
EnjoyIt wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:44 am
JacobTeach wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:23 am
I am pulled in both directions regarding this topic and could use advice (I’m contemplating the purchase of a nice watch as well). Let me share my thoughts, though I do lean towards validating the purchase.

On one hand, bogleheads generally live very frugally in all aspects of life except perhaps eating out more than necessary. They save and invest. They understand that $5k today is $21.6k in 30 years at 5% compounded or $35.2k after 40 years. They coined LBYM and are financially conservative. They optimize asset allocation in terms of risk and taxes. They optimize credit card reward points, brokerage and banking bonuses, and money market/CD/saving account yields. Some even attend timeshare presentations to get more free stuff and seize every opportunity for free samples at Costco each Sunday.

So, after all that, if you don’t spend your money on the luxuries in life, why work and save/invest/optimize so diligently? What do you spend on? Your rainy day fund only needs to get so big. Keep in mind OP was considering the watch for turning 50, not 25.

Furthermore, let’s say this watch is the one splurge of an otherwise financially discerning boglehead. After 40 years, does having $1.035M versus $1.000M or $2.035M versus $2.000M in retirement assets make a big difference? I don’t think so.

BUT! It’s just a watch! It’s men’s jewelry! You can buy something more accurate with the same function for $10! All true, but it’s hard to quantify the joy from wearing a $5k piece of fine engineering to the utility of a $10 tool, especially since it’s subjective. You can’t quantify the delight OP feels from his boss’ reaction or when he checks the time and is reminded of his loving wife. Or of the joy his children get when the watch is passed on (or would his children rather have $35.2k?).

Wouldn’t it be too extreme to evaluate all non-essential spending in the same light? Eating out vs at home? Expensive carbon fiber road bike vs a cheaper model for a hobbyist cycler? $5k over time in cable TV over watching free channels? Luxury versus affordable cars assuming equal safety features? Business vs economy for someone that can comfortably sit in economy seats? Etc. There are always cheaper alternatives to functionally equivalent things.

It’s just interesting that bogleheads didn’t blink at the luxurious hobbies thread (linked below), where $5k looks cheap, but are so agitated in this thread.

Anyways, though is sounds like I’m clearly for making the watch purchase, I haven’t done so yet because, at least for me, I’m not quite sure if I rather have a $5k watch today or $35k tomorrow.



For those against buying a Rolex: what luxuries (besides experiences, because that’s a whole new kettle of fish) do you spend your money on? Are any splurges acceptable? Have these added up to more than $5k? I’m sure you’re not living like Diogenes :mrgreen:





Luxurious hobbies: viewtopic.php?t=303394
1) I would rather get $35.2k as opposed to a watch. I have more use for the money. The younger generation is probably less likely to want a watch as they like the digital watches.

2) You made a lot of claims on what a boglehead is and does. One you missed is that we tend to spend money on experiences vs things which is why the hobby thread gets less flack.

3) Lastly, if a watch costing $5k makes one happy, and they can afford it without sacrificing anything, then why not? Get the watch and enjoy it. Just don’t let me a stepping stone into buying more and more expensive things if it causes real harm to your financial future.

Normchad
Posts: 159
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:20 am

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by Normchad » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:20 pm

I don’t get the obsession with frugality on here. Is that really a boglehead tenet now? Did we all take a vow of poverty?

So if you can LBYM, buy whatever you want. Nice watches are expensive, but they are cheaper than cars, divorces, horses, and lots of other things that people on here enjoy.

Heck,if I had $35K, I might just buy 7 watches, give one to Petriocelli, then sit back and enjoy the fireworks. :D

EnjoyIt
Posts: 3403
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:06 pm

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by EnjoyIt » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:47 pm

Normchad wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:20 pm
I don’t get the obsession with frugality on here. Is that really a boglehead tenet now? Did we all take a vow of poverty?

So if you can LBYM, buy whatever you want. Nice watches are expensive, but they are cheaper than cars, divorces, horses, and lots of other things that people on here enjoy.

Heck,if I had $35K, I might just buy 7 watches, give one to Petriocelli, then sit back and enjoy the fireworks. :D
I think the tenet is Live Below Your Means (LBYM.) For many that adds some sense of frugality.

Frugality is different for everyone becomes we all make different incomes and have different desires on when we want to retire.

User avatar
SevenBridgesRoad
Posts: 599
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:14 am
Location: Within Pacific Ring of Fire

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by SevenBridgesRoad » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:04 pm

JacobTeach wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:23 am
...On one hand, bogleheads generally live very frugally in all aspects of life except perhaps eating out more than necessary...
I completely disagree with your stereotype and I'm not sure why you think frugality is central to Bogleheadism.

My wife and I are both retired. We have hobbies that can become somewhat expensive and certainly not frugal. We travel a lot, including Europe again this year. We bought a new car this year. We include our kids and grandkids in vacations, which we help pay for. We actually eat out less than many folks, because we love to cook and make great meals. So you have a stereotype, which is incomplete.

We live within our means, but I wouldn't describe us as frugal.
Retired 2018 age 61 | "Not using an alarm is one of the great glories of my life." Robert Greene

Independent George
Posts: 626
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:13 pm
Location: Chicago, IL, USA

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by Independent George » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:26 pm

I have noticed that there's a significant minority of Bogleheads engage in a kind of status competition where the they like to deride spending of others as "insufficiently frugal". It's not enough to live below your means and invest in diversified, low-cost index funds; if you also have to abstain from decadent capitalist luxuries that they are too pure to ever consider. This thread has plenty of examples, but I've seen it elsewhere, too. You just have to remember that only a small number of people will reply to any given thread; just like with any social media, most people don't care, and the most negative tend to get a disproportionate amount of attention.

EnjoyIt
Posts: 3403
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:06 pm

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by EnjoyIt » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:49 am

Independent George wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:26 pm
I have noticed that there's a significant minority of Bogleheads engage in a kind of status competition where the they like to deride spending of others as "insufficiently frugal". It's not enough to live below your means and invest in diversified, low-cost index funds; if you also have to abstain from decadent capitalist luxuries that they are too pure to ever consider. This thread has plenty of examples, but I've seen it elsewhere, too. You just have to remember that only a small number of people will reply to any given thread; just like with any social media, most people don't care, and the most negative tend to get a disproportionate amount of attention.
I think a lot depends on people’s goals. If the goal is financial independence as soon as possible then a $5k luxury is a complete waste even at a very high income. If one wants early financial independence, lives below their means, has a pretty stable income, then they can comfortably add some luxuries to their lives and enjoy the ride to financial independence.

Examples: if a family making a good income in a medium cost of living area is saving 10% and wants to buy an expensive luxury, they probably should revaluate. Maybe take that cash and invest it as 10% savings rate is not enough despite them living below their means.
Vs
Same family with a 50%+ savings rate. Why not, buy the watch.
Vs
All the families in between.

At some point the family should be saving the money, at another point the family can probably splurge every so often. Where that cross over lies is very personal.
Last edited by EnjoyIt on Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
SevenBridgesRoad
Posts: 599
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:14 am
Location: Within Pacific Ring of Fire

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by SevenBridgesRoad » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:12 pm

Independent George wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:26 pm
I have noticed that there's a significant minority of Bogleheads engage in a kind of status competition where the they like to deride spending of others as "insufficiently frugal". It's not enough to live below your means and invest in diversified, low-cost index funds; if you also have to abstain from decadent capitalist luxuries that they are too pure to ever consider. This thread has plenty of examples, but I've seen it elsewhere, too. You just have to remember that only a small number of people will reply to any given thread; just like with any social media, most people don't care, and the most negative tend to get a disproportionate amount of attention.
Makes sense. Thanks!
Retired 2018 age 61 | "Not using an alarm is one of the great glories of my life." Robert Greene

User avatar
watchnerd
Posts: 3403
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by watchnerd » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:13 pm

SevenBridgesRoad wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:12 pm
Independent George wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:26 pm
I have noticed that there's a significant minority of Bogleheads engage in a kind of status competition where the they like to deride spending of others as "insufficiently frugal". It's not enough to live below your means and invest in diversified, low-cost index funds; if you also have to abstain from decadent capitalist luxuries that they are too pure to ever consider. This thread has plenty of examples, but I've seen it elsewhere, too. You just have to remember that only a small number of people will reply to any given thread; just like with any social media, most people don't care, and the most negative tend to get a disproportionate amount of attention.
Makes sense. Thanks!
I'm waiting to be called frugal for spending $5,000 on a watch by one of the folks planning to spend $50,000.

That will make my day.
70% Global Market Weight Equities | 15% Long Treasuries 15% short TIPS & cash || RSU + ESPP

User avatar
sunny_socal
Posts: 2193
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by sunny_socal » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:31 am

Where's the thread on engagement rings?

Men don't usually wear diamond rings, and the resale value on a Rolex is much better than a ring. My wife's ring "appraised" at 13k but is likely worth about 1k (paid 4k.) My watch would sell for what I paid for it. My father-in-law paid $150 for his Tudor (sister company of Rolex), likely worth about 7.5k right now. A red-letter Rolex purchased during the same time period would likely fetch thousands more.

A stainless Rolex is without a doubt the best deal in jewelry.

User avatar
corn18
Posts: 1603
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 6:24 am

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by corn18 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:02 am

sunny_socal wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:31 am
Where's the thread on engagement rings?

Men don't usually wear diamond rings, and the resale value on a Rolex is much better than a ring. My wife's ring "appraised" at 13k but is likely worth about 1k (paid 4k.) My watch would sell for what I paid for it. My father-in-law paid $150 for his Tudor (sister company of Rolex), likely worth about 7.5k right now. A red-letter Rolex purchased during the same time period would likely fetch thousands more.

A stainless Rolex is without a doubt the best deal in jewelry.
Diamonds are stupid. I paid $1,375 for my wife's engagement ring in 1989. It appraises for at least a billion dollars, but I can get the same ring from Blue Nile for about $1,375.
Don't do something, just stand there!

stoptothink
Posts: 7029
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by stoptothink » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:19 am

corn18 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:02 am
sunny_socal wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:31 am
Where's the thread on engagement rings?

Men don't usually wear diamond rings, and the resale value on a Rolex is much better than a ring. My wife's ring "appraised" at 13k but is likely worth about 1k (paid 4k.) My watch would sell for what I paid for it. My father-in-law paid $150 for his Tudor (sister company of Rolex), likely worth about 7.5k right now. A red-letter Rolex purchased during the same time period would likely fetch thousands more.

A stainless Rolex is without a doubt the best deal in jewelry.
Diamonds are stupid. I paid $1,375 for my wife's engagement ring in 1989. It appraises for at least a billion dollars, but I can get the same ring from Blue Nile for about $1,375.
I paid ~$500 for my wife's engagement ring (she chose it, morganite in rose gold) 7yrs ago and when we took it to have it cleaned they "appraised" it at $3100. She was very close to asking how much they would give her for it, right then. My guess is less than I paid for it.

Normchad
Posts: 159
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:20 am

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by Normchad » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:28 am

We were poor when we got engaged and bought the best engagement ring we could afford. It is decidedly modest.

For our 25th anniversary, we bought a much nicer ring to go with it. It was very expensive. It brings my wife so much happiness, it feels like an absolute bargain.

If I hadn’t bought it, I’d just die with a bit more money in the bank. And I’d have missed enjoying her extra smiles for all those years.

Sometimes, it’s foolish to not spend the money. If it makes you happy, go for it!

jello_nailer
Posts: 131
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:20 pm

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by jello_nailer » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:11 pm

The best watch for around $5k is the one you love to look at, admire, gives you pleasure, and means something.

Just yesterday I bought a Panerai 1312. I shopped it for a year and bought a 1 year old perfect one with papers. It was more than $5k.

Now, regarding that spend - if I was saving for F.I. this would have moved that day out maybe 2 weeks? But I'm not, so it doesn't matter.

More importantly I didn't buy this watch. In my mind (mental accounting) it was a gift from my mother - she died 5 years ago. She lived very frugally and never earned or acquired a lot by most of our standards but she led a very happy life. I am proud that I was generous with her to make sure of that. Against my wishes she still "needed to leave something" rather than spend on herself, and sadly, I eventually ended up with a very modest 5 figure Inherited IRA. I patiently saved my RMD's and when I found the right watch, I bought it. I have grown the current value of that I-IRA substantially, and I never touched the balance other than the required distributions. Someday it will be worth 6 figures, not sure what I will do with it.

Did I pi$$ away $7K? We will all be dead in 100 years but until then, and in my world, every time I look at my watch an angel got her wings.

Be careful when judging the jerk with the $7,000 watch - there may be a back story.

Jags4186
Posts: 4236
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by Jags4186 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:17 pm

Independent George wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:26 pm
I have noticed that there's a significant minority of Bogleheads engage in a kind of status competition where the they like to deride spending of others as "insufficiently frugal". It's not enough to live below your means and invest in diversified, low-cost index funds; if you also have to abstain from decadent capitalist luxuries that they are too pure to ever consider. This thread has plenty of examples, but I've seen it elsewhere, too. You just have to remember that only a small number of people will reply to any given thread; just like with any social media, most people don't care, and the most negative tend to get a disproportionate amount of attention.
It is because there are a contingent of posters who think being on Bogleheads is the same as being on the Mr. Money Mustache forums or that consumerism, in general, is a bad thing. It isn't. While yes, LBYM is a requirement in order to be able to invest, there is no, as far as I'm aware, tenant of being a Boglehead that says one must live very frugally, save 50%+ of your income, or the only spend worth spending is on experiences and not stuff.

I love to travel and I love stuff. I also love saving, investing, and most of all the idea of not having to work at some point. It is a delicate balance that all should strive to achieve.

User avatar
corn18
Posts: 1603
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 6:24 am

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by corn18 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:41 pm

Independent George wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:26 pm
I have noticed that there's a significant minority of Bogleheads engage in a kind of status competition where the they like to deride spending of others as "insufficiently frugal". It's not enough to live below your means and invest in diversified, low-cost index funds; if you also have to abstain from decadent capitalist luxuries that they are too pure to ever consider. This thread has plenty of examples, but I've seen it elsewhere, too. You just have to remember that only a small number of people will reply to any given thread; just like with any social media, most people don't care, and the most negative tend to get a disproportionate amount of attention.
I'll agree with this sentiment. Any thread that involves buying a car that isn't a Camry or spending anything on luxury items is met with vitriol (at least that's how I perceive it). If someone is meeting all of their savings goals and wants to blow a little dough, then say congratulations and move on. No need to insert your own brand of frugal justice. The Judgie McJudgies on here are quite annoying at times.
Don't do something, just stand there!

A-Commoner
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:17 pm

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by A-Commoner » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:14 pm

watchnerd wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:13 pm
SevenBridgesRoad wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:12 pm
Independent George wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:26 pm
I have noticed that there's a significant minority of Bogleheads engage in a kind of status competition where the they like to deride spending of others as "insufficiently frugal". It's not enough to live below your means and invest in diversified, low-cost index funds; if you also have to abstain from decadent capitalist luxuries that they are too pure to ever consider. This thread has plenty of examples, but I've seen it elsewhere, too. You just have to remember that only a small number of people will reply to any given thread; just like with any social media, most people don't care, and the most negative tend to get a disproportionate amount of attention.
Makes sense. Thanks!
I'm waiting to be called frugal for spending $5,000 on a watch by one of the folks planning to spend $50,000.

That will make my day.
At least you spent your $5k on a Rolex watch which may retain its value or better. My wife, with my grudging approval, recently paid $7k on custom window drapes and sheers for our living room. They look very nice, but will not appreciate like a Rolex will. We can afford the Rolex and the drapes, so not really whining here, but am just struck by how differently these items are priced, considering the engineering that goes into making the watch.

BionicBillWalsh
Posts: 172
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:56 am
Location: Sandwich Islands

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by BionicBillWalsh » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:30 pm

corn18 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:41 pm
Independent George wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:26 pm
I have noticed that there's a significant minority of Bogleheads engage in a kind of status competition where the they like to deride spending of others as "insufficiently frugal". It's not enough to live below your means and invest in diversified, low-cost index funds; if you also have to abstain from decadent capitalist luxuries that they are too pure to ever consider. This thread has plenty of examples, but I've seen it elsewhere, too. You just have to remember that only a small number of people will reply to any given thread; just like with any social media, most people don't care, and the most negative tend to get a disproportionate amount of attention.
I'll agree with this sentiment. Any thread that involves buying a car that isn't a Camry or spending anything on luxury items is met with vitriol (at least that's how I perceive it). If someone is meeting all of their savings goals and wants to blow a little dough, then say congratulations and move on. No need to insert your own brand of frugal justice. The Judgie McJudgies on here are quite annoying at times.
I'd say that a majority of the holier than thou posters with regards to frugality don't walk the walk. A magnifying glass on their expenditures would reveal shockingly dumb behavior.

Many likely have entire sections of their yurts devoted to Cabbage Patch Kids or Pound Puppies.
Saltwater has an amazing ability to wash away many of life’s troubles

User avatar
jabberwockOG
Posts: 1914
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 7:23 am

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by jabberwockOG » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:04 pm

75-100 years ago an expensive watch was much more accurate and reliable than a cheap watch. That is no longer the case.

All these posts waxing poetic about the wonders of an expensive watch would make more sense if buying an expensive watch actually still resulted in the buyer owning a watch that was at least as accurate as a bargain bin $25 Timex.

Today's reality is that $5k (and up) mechanical watches are not as good as a inexpensive quartz watch at doing their one and only job - keeping accurate time. And as a bonus the owner gets to pay $500 (and up) just to keep the mechanical watch running on a pretty regular basis.

User avatar
corn18
Posts: 1603
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 6:24 am

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by corn18 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:11 pm

jabberwockOG wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:04 pm
75-100 years ago an expensive watch was much more accurate and reliable than a cheap watch. That is no longer the case.

All these posts waxing poetic about the wonders of an expensive watch would make more sense if buying an expensive watch actually still resulted in the buyer owning a watch that was at least as accurate as a bargain bin $25 Timex.

Today's reality is that $5k (and up) mechanical watches are not as good as a inexpensive quartz watch at doing their one and only job - keeping accurate time. And as a bonus the owner gets to pay $500 (and up) just to keep the mechanical watch running on a pretty regular basis.
Yours is the 85th time Timex has been mentioned in this thread. Why do people feel the need to post this over and over and over?
Don't do something, just stand there!

User avatar
watchnerd
Posts: 3403
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by watchnerd » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:28 pm

jabberwockOG wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:04 pm
75-100 years ago an expensive watch was much more accurate and reliable than a cheap watch. That is no longer the case.

All these posts waxing poetic about the wonders of an expensive watch would make more sense if buying an expensive watch actually still resulted in the buyer owning a watch that was at least as accurate as a bargain bin $25 Timex.

Today's reality is that $5k (and up) mechanical watches are not as good as a inexpensive quartz watch at doing their one and only job - keeping accurate time. And as a bonus the owner gets to pay $500 (and up) just to keep the mechanical watch running on a pretty regular basis.
Yes, all true.

And your cell phone clock is even more accurate than quartz and comes for free with the phone.

But watch collectors don't buy mechanical watches for their accuracy.

So it's all moot.
70% Global Market Weight Equities | 15% Long Treasuries 15% short TIPS & cash || RSU + ESPP

BionicBillWalsh
Posts: 172
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:56 am
Location: Sandwich Islands

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by BionicBillWalsh » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:35 pm

jabberwockOG wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:04 pm
75-100 years ago an expensive watch was much more accurate and reliable than a cheap watch. That is no longer the case.

All these posts waxing poetic about the wonders of an expensive watch would make more sense if buying an expensive watch actually still resulted in the buyer owning a watch that was at least as accurate as a bargain bin $25 Timex.

Today's reality is that $5k (and up) mechanical watches are not as good as a inexpensive quartz watch at doing their one and only job - keeping accurate time. And as a bonus the owner gets to pay $500 (and up) just to keep the mechanical watch running on a pretty regular basis.
I can hardly tell the difference. :wink: Except one of these watches is really....really ugly.

https://www.timex.com/m79-automatic-40m ... wE&start=1

https://www.rolex.com/watches/gmt-maste ... -0002.html
Saltwater has an amazing ability to wash away many of life’s troubles

Puretaxableindexer
Posts: 218
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:05 pm

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by Puretaxableindexer » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:50 pm

I don't wear a watch anymore, I use my phone as my watch.

User avatar
watchnerd
Posts: 3403
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by watchnerd » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:08 pm

Puretaxableindexer wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:50 pm
I don't wear a watch anymore, I use my phone as my watch.
That's probably the majority of the population these days.
70% Global Market Weight Equities | 15% Long Treasuries 15% short TIPS & cash || RSU + ESPP

User avatar
corn18
Posts: 1603
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 6:24 am

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by corn18 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:09 pm

Puretaxableindexer wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:50 pm
I don't wear a watch anymore, I use my phone as my watch.
Well, at least the phone has only been mentioned 40 times. :oops:
Don't do something, just stand there!

Gardener
Posts: 396
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:03 pm

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by Gardener » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:09 pm

Normchad wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:20 pm
Nice watches are expensive, but they are cheaper than cars, divorces, horses, and lots of other things that people on here enjoy.
I'm not so sure people on here enjoy divorces...

Independent George
Posts: 626
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:13 pm
Location: Chicago, IL, USA

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by Independent George » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:40 pm

Puretaxableindexer wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:50 pm
I don't wear a watch anymore, I use my phone as my watch.
Funny enough, I started wearing watches again after many years of doing the same because of the inconvenience of digging through pockets to get to my phone, especially when crowded onto public transport, or beneath multiple layers during the Chicago winter. It turns out, there's a good reason why pocket watches got displaced by the wrist watch.

My love of mechanical watches doesn't have to be any more practical than folks who like manual transmission cars, or listen to vinyl records. I even plan to blow more money on a watchmaking workshop, whose extravagant expense will force me to toil in poverty until I'm 90, but it's worth it for a chance to flex my conspicuous consumption.

SavingForTheLongHaul
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:06 pm

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by SavingForTheLongHaul » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:00 pm

I would recommend the Breguet Grande Complication Marie-Antoinette watch. It's a timeless piece that will give you great timekeeping. I personally own five of them, one for each day of the work week to go along with the suit of the day. Pricetag is a little over $5,000, though :moneybag . I'm curious if anyone else has had their hands on this bad boy? If you have, I'm sure you would recommend it as well!

:sharebeer

User avatar
watchnerd
Posts: 3403
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by watchnerd » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:51 pm

SavingForTheLongHaul wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:00 pm
I would recommend the Breguet Grande Complication Marie-Antoinette watch. It's a timeless piece that will give you great timekeeping. I personally own five of them, one for each day of the work week to go along with the suit of the day. Pricetag is a little over $5,000, though :moneybag . I'm curious if anyone else has had their hands on this bad boy? If you have, I'm sure you would recommend it as well!

:sharebeer
Is this Bogleheads or an episode of "Narcos"?
70% Global Market Weight Equities | 15% Long Treasuries 15% short TIPS & cash || RSU + ESPP

BionicBillWalsh
Posts: 172
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:56 am
Location: Sandwich Islands

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by BionicBillWalsh » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:39 am

watchnerd wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:51 pm
SavingForTheLongHaul wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:00 pm
I would recommend the Breguet Grande Complication Marie-Antoinette watch. It's a timeless piece that will give you great timekeeping. I personally own five of them, one for each day of the work week to go along with the suit of the day. Pricetag is a little over $5,000, though :moneybag . I'm curious if anyone else has had their hands on this bad boy? If you have, I'm sure you would recommend it as well!

:sharebeer
Is this Bogleheads or an episode of "Narcos"?
He didn’t say he wore one on each wrist. With finger tats that read “dubl time”

That would be Narcos style.
Saltwater has an amazing ability to wash away many of life’s troubles

User avatar
watchnerd
Posts: 3403
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by watchnerd » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:53 am

BionicBillWalsh wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:39 am
watchnerd wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:51 pm
SavingForTheLongHaul wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:00 pm
I would recommend the Breguet Grande Complication Marie-Antoinette watch. It's a timeless piece that will give you great timekeeping. I personally own five of them, one for each day of the work week to go along with the suit of the day. Pricetag is a little over $5,000, though :moneybag . I'm curious if anyone else has had their hands on this bad boy? If you have, I'm sure you would recommend it as well!

:sharebeer
Is this Bogleheads or an episode of "Narcos"?
He didn’t say he wore one on each wrist. With finger tats that read “dubl time”

That would be Narcos style.
The watch in question is a pocket watch....

:greedy :P :D
70% Global Market Weight Equities | 15% Long Treasuries 15% short TIPS & cash || RSU + ESPP

User avatar
Forester
Posts: 742
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:50 pm
Location: UK

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by Forester » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:31 am

Small wrist - 36mm Rolex Explorer 114270 or 14270, Rolex no longer produce the 36mm.

Otherwise try to get an Explorer II 16570 for $5.5 to $6k, cheapest 40mm Rolex + has a GMT function.

Rolex or nothing! Hold their value.

BV3273
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:20 pm

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by BV3273 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:44 am

I like the Cartier Roadster Chronograph XL. You can get a used one for >$4,500 on eBay.

Post Reply