Manual Transmission + Electric Parking Brake?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
willthrill81

Re: Manual Transmission + Electric Parking Brake?

Post by willthrill81 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:26 pm

Despite having driven in very hilly cities (try Duluth, Minnesota, in January :shock: ), I've never needed to use the parking brake, though it's admittedly always been with an automatic transmission.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

marcwd

Post by marcwd » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:37 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:26 pm
Despite having driven in very hilly cities (try Duluth, Minnesota, in January :shock: ), I've never needed to use the parking brake, though it's admittedly always been with an automatic transmission.
Probably should have included the appropriate smilie.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:09 pm

marcwd wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:37 pm
willthrill81 wrote:
I didn't see one that adequately indicated the sudden onset of terror when you realize that you have started sliding down an icy hill in a city with cars parked on both sides of the street.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

marcwd

Post by marcwd » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:26 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:09 pm
marcwd wrote:
willthrill81 wrote:
I didn't see one that adequately indicated the sudden onset of terror when you realize that you have started sliding down an icy hill in a city with cars parked on both sides of the street.
Yes, but still not seeing the connection to the discussion of manual transmissions and the use of parking brakes. I thought you were making a joke.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:28 pm

marcwd wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:26 pm
willthrill81 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:09 pm
marcwd wrote:
willthrill81 wrote:
Yes, but still not seeing the connection to the discussion of manual transmissions and the use of parking brakes. I thought you were making a joke.
No connection. But I can't help but smile when people are concerned about driving on the hills of Seattle or San Francisco when neither experiences a real winter.

ARoseByAnyOtherName

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:29 am

iamlucky13 wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:32 pm
zip605 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:08 pm
I have driven a 2017 Civic manual with “electric parking brake” and “brake hold” often.

With “brake hold off”, the car will hold on a hill for about 1-2 seconds after taking foot off the brake. Easing out the clutch disengages the brakes immediately, so if you are quick on switching from brake to gas, the car is ready to move as quick as you are.

With “brake hold on”, when you come to a stop, the brakes will stay applied even after you take your foot off the brake pedal. They will stay applied continuously until you ease out the clutch or shut the car off. In other words, No automatic release after 1-2 seconds. If you shut the car off in this mode, the electric parking brake is automatically applied.

It all works intuitively after a few days and removes a lot of pressure on those whose hill starts are less than smooth.

If you are buckled up with the parking brake applied, just letting out the clutch enough to slightly engage will automatically release the parking brake.
Thank you. This has been the most relevant response so far. So it seems even with the system off it is still doing something, but with a fairly reasonable response either way. There's still some nuances I am curious about, but i think I am willing to risk small dissatisfactions with it.

Any complaints about the feature from your experience?
Have you done a test drive on the actual hill you're worried about yet?

Topic Author
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:07 pm

ARoseByAnyOtherName wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:29 am
iamlucky13 wrote:
zip605 wrote:
I have driven a 2017 Civic manual with “electric parking brake” and “brake hold” often.

With “brake hold off”, the car will hold on a hill for about 1-2 seconds after taking foot off the brake. Easing out the clutch disengages the brakes immediately, so if you are quick on switching from brake to gas, the car is ready to move as quick as you are.

With “brake hold on”, when you come to a stop, the brakes will stay applied even after you take your foot off the brake pedal. They will stay applied continuously until you ease out the clutch or shut the car off. In other words, No automatic release after 1-2 seconds. If you shut the car off in this mode, the electric parking brake is automatically applied.

It all works intuitively after a few days and removes a lot of pressure on those whose hill starts are less than smooth.

If you are buckled up with the parking brake applied, just letting out the clutch enough to slightly engage will automatically release the parking brake.
Thank you. This has been the most relevant response so far. So it seems even with the system off it is still doing something, but with a fairly reasonable response either way. There's still some nuances I am curious about, but i think I am willing to risk small dissatisfactions with it.

It will have to wait. The car sold while i was deliberating it. Overall, i liked it though, so i will watch for another to come on the market.

ARoseByAnyOtherName

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:38 am

iamlucky13 wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:07 pm
iamlucky13 wrote:
zip605 wrote:

It will have to wait. The car sold while i was deliberating it. Overall, i liked it though, so i will watch for another to come on the market.
Maybe you can go rent that car or find another way to test drive it now, on that hill, so you know ahead of time how it will preform and are prepared the next time one comes on the market.

Topic Author
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:01 pm

Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:38 am
iamlucky13 wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:07 pm
iamlucky13 wrote:
zip605 wrote:

Maybe you can go rent that car or find another way to test drive it now, on that hill, so you know ahead of time how it will preform and are prepared the next time one comes on the market.
I'd be perfectly willing to rent a car if needed for an extended test drive, but I don't think I've ever seen a manual transmission car at a rental agency in the US. In fact, I can't think of the last time I ever saw a Honda at a rental agency. It's mostly Hyundais, Kias, Nissan's, and Chevy's.

Regardless, after more consideration of the short drive I did do and the discussion here, especially zip605's post, I'm comfortable buying without further testing of this specific feature.