Mental health/therapy and HSAs

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
benaaye

Mental health/therapy and HSAs

Post by benaaye » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:28 pm

Hi, would love others thoughts on this. One of my goals for this year was to prioritize mental health and wellness generally but to get and regularly attend therapy as I've had a lot of life changes and various things over the past couple of years. I've found one or maybe two that I may stick with.

My question here is for those that attend therapy and also have an HSA. I've only had an HSA for maybe 2-3 years but will likely continue with this for health insurance I pay as I have been fortunate in the past to only go to the doctor 1x a year for wellness.

How do others who want to regularly see a therapist handle this or co-pays with an HSA? Most of the out of pocket costs for sessions also seem to run around $100 -$150 a session. What are your yearly costs?

JBTX

Re: Mental health/therapy and HSAs

Post by JBTX » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:33 pm

I imagine like any other medical expense. If you don't need the money now, leave it in the HSA, and keep medical receipts in case you need them for future withdrawal. If you need it for cash flow, pull it out. I've done both.

I never paid with HSA card. If I wanted to deplete it I waited until end of year.

Flyer24

Re: Mental health/therapy and HSAs

Post by Flyer24 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:47 pm

If I need to pay a medical bill using my HSA, I do not use the HSA card. I use my regular credit card to earn points, then just reimburse the transaction.