[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Doom&Gloom

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Doom&Gloom » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:57 pm

Capsu78 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:56 pm
Elsebet wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:50 pm
Just started Season 4 of "Better Call Saul" on Netflix. I can't explain why but I love these characters and the world they live in so much. My husband and I spent a good 30 minutes talking about one interaction in the 2nd episode.
You might want to check out an episode of Rake on Netflix. Lead character is very similar to Jimmy and they seem to have the same "solar powered" moral compass that seems to run out of power after dark. :D
+1

We really enjoyed Rake.

Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:01 pm

boglegirl wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:26 pm
I just noticed that Occupied Season 3 dropped on Netflix, which somehow I missed in December. I love that show. Yes, it's one of the dark dystopian shows that someone upthread criticized - but it has a lot that's relevant to today AND it's very well done. And I think whatever your political or environmental leanings, there's plenty to nod your head to or shake your fist at. :happy
Yes, I'm binge watching season 3 this week too. Very good storyline, considering one of the foundations of season 1 was that USA had become energy independent and was less interested in helping Norway stand up to the Bear next-door. I believe the series was developed before the USA had.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:06 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:42 am
Bojack Horseman, on Netflix. The final episodes were released last week (Season 6, second half).

The series is taking a more serious turn, but is very much worth watching.

I'm not sure I'll return to Better than US (Netflix), as I lost interest after 8 episodes or so. Maybe. It's one season, 16 episodes.
I was very impressed with the ending of Bojack Horseman. Serious turn, indeed. The ending of Bojack's situation reminded me of the college professor (main character) in Halt and Catch Fire. He started as a college professor and ended up in pretty much the same boat. Very different situation and times, but the way things come full circle is a powerful story.

I watched another episode of Better than US and will keep going.
Doom&Gloom wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:57 pm
Capsu78 wrote:
...You might want to check out an episode of Rake on Netflix. Lead character is very similar to Jimmy and they seem to have the same "solar powered" moral compass that seems to run out of power after dark. :D
+1

We really enjoyed Rake.
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll give Rake a shot after I finish Better than US. Or, maybe I'll watch Love, Death, and Robots (Netflix).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:12 pm

sixtyforty wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:33 am
The Pharmacist on Netflix. Excellent... and an eye opener. A must watch for everyone in the US, IMO. My DW is a pharmacist and it is spot on.
I watched the first episode and a little of the second last night. Wow, what a story and what an amazing human being.

noraz123

Post by noraz123 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:14 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:09 am

"The Outsider" on HBO; Jason Bateman is amazing. 4 episodes in. Really interesting take on a Stephen King story (that I wasn't aware of).
Thanks for the recommendation. I was unaware of this show. I quite like Jason Bateman in Ozark, so watched the first episode of The Outsider last night. What little I have seen, I quite like it.

s8r

Post by s8r » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:17 am

protagonist wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:09 pm
s8r wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:24 am
Picture quality and the way people dress has changed very little in the past ~10 years. Also Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, etc have changed very little.
That is an interesting observation, and true. When I was growing up you could pretty easily pinpoint what year something was happening within about a 3 year window or so, just on the basis of technical quality, hair and clothing fashions, and music. Something ten years old looked and sounded ancient.
It's nice I'm not the only one who has noticed this. :happy

I mean, just compare for example Lost (2004) with any show from 1994. The change during that time frame is huge compared to the change in the past decade.

Edit:
Another interesting example from the world of video games (this was pointed out to me by someone else) is Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (2002). When it was released, it was a nostalgia trip back to 1986 -- 16 years to the past -- and as such it worked very well: the music, the clothing, the cars, etc. of the mid 80s were very different compared to those of the early 2000s.

Now, imagine if we'd make a corresponding nostalgia trip now in 2020. Going back 16 years would be 2004. It wouldn't work at all because everything was so similar back then!

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:42 am

Watched on DVD's from the library, the original British House of Card's which came out in 1990. A political thriller which lasted three seasons. IMHO, much better than the American version and for those who aren't familiar with the British system of government, a good introduction into what happens at Westminster.

Last night came across a PBS show called "Leftover Women." Worth watching for insight into modern China and family dynamics on marriage - much the same as ours. It refers to the pressure women face to marry and those who are in their late 20's and beyond who are called leftover.

Tonight is "Young Sheldon" which is the only TV comedy I like.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:55 am

The Profit on CNBC
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success." || Buy Total Stock until it hurts. Then find a way to buy even more!

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:56 am

Also watched American Greed on CNBC.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success." || Buy Total Stock until it hurts. Then find a way to buy even more!

Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:13 am

Capsu78 wrote:
You might want to check out an episode of Rake on Netflix. Lead character is very similar to Jimmy and they seem to have the same "solar powered" moral compass that seems to run out of power after dark. :D
Agreed. But make sure it's the original Australian version starring Richard Roxburgh -- not the US remake that was a complete flop.

abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:57 am

Watched The Stranger on Netflix, a British mystery series. It gets pretty good reviews, but I thought it was borderline ridiculous. It did have some unintended laugh out loud moments with silly dialogue and plotline though.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:13 am

I am watching a Ukrainian TV series "Servant of the people" ("Слуга Народа"), starring Volodymyr Zelenskyy. It's free on YouTube and includes English subtitles, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ-3YwV ... MlTijhohVu .

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Ricola

Post by Ricola » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:22 am

Counterpart now on Amazon Prime. https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/counterpart/s01

Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:57 pm

Bylo Selhi wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:13 am
Capsu78 wrote:
Agreed. But make sure it's the original Australian version starring Richard Roxburgh -- not the US remake that was a complete flop.
Yes, OZ version...I wasn't aware of the other version.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:42 pm

Green Street wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:48 pm
Love, Death and Robots ... David Fincher and Tim Burton’s love child
Love, Death, and Robots, on Netflix. Take a dystopian setting, then add violence, adult language and subject matter; throw in some humor, horror, and do it all with animation. Surreal. Each of the 18 episodes is stand-alone and short, under 20 minutes. I just binge watched 6 of them.

Tim Burton-esque indeed - but he wasn't part of this production. I think you mean Tim Miller.

I see mentions of a forthcoming Season 2, but no date has been announced.

Caution: This series is rated TV-MA (Mature Audiences) for a good reason.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:07 pm

Finished season 3 of Occupied on Netflix. Not quite as fast paced as the first 2 seasons, but still like the premise.
They have certainly left the door open for a season 4.

MaryO

Post by MaryO » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:18 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:13 am
I am watching a Ukrainian TV series "Servant of the people" ("Слуга Народа"), starring Volodymyr Zelenskyy. It's free on YouTube and includes English subtitles, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ-3YwV ... MlTijhohVu .

Victoria
I watched the first episode and will be tuning back in when I can.
The show is so meta! I couldn't get my head around the fact that this crazy plot, where a teacher gets propelled into the presidency after his anti-corruption rant went viral, turned into reality. This show mocking Ukraine corruption propelled an actor/comedian into the presidency! Zelensky is very charming and I eventually got used to the subtitles. [OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:23 pm

As a reminder, this is a "no politics" forum. I removed a comment relating the show to a US political leader.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:28 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:12 pm
sixtyforty wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:33 am
The Pharmacist on Netflix. Excellent... and an eye opener. A must watch for everyone in the US, IMO. My DW is a pharmacist and it is spot on.
I watched the first episode and a little of the second last night. Wow, what a story and what an amazing human being.
Finished this last night. Captivating and well done.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:29 pm

MaryO wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:18 pm
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
I watched the first episode and will be tuning back in when I can.
The show is so meta! I couldn't get my head around the fact that this crazy plot, where a teacher gets propelled into the presidency after his anti-corruption rant went viral, turned into reality. This show mocking Ukraine corruption propelled an actor/comedian into the presidency! Zelensky is very charming and I eventually got used to the subtitles. [OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]
I started watching this show to enhance my performance. One of my stand-up jokes is that I retired from a government job to do comedy, which is the American way. But my country of birth got it backwards: a comedian has retired to become President Zelenskyy. The joke is on him.

To develop my jokes further, I decided to watch some of his comedy. To my surprise, "Servant of the people" ("Слуга Народа") turned out to be a very funny, intelligent show that I am now binge-watching. It helps to understand Russian language, but even the subtitles provide some idea of how bad the situation in Ukraine was until it's got the Servant of the People.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

josehde

Post by josehde » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:19 pm

The Good Place and Bojack Horseman. Still can't get over the fact that we no longer have more seasons to look forward to.

friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:38 pm

VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
Is the original broadcast in Russian or Ukrainian?
Friar1610

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:17 pm

friar1610 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:38 pm
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
Is the original broadcast in Russian or Ukrainian?
In Seasons 1 and 2, most of it is in Russian, and only two or three characters speak Ukrainian. In Season-3 there is more Ukrainian. The main team seems more comfortable speaking Russian.

Victoria

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:49 am

Forensic Files II.

Interesting and informative as always.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:20 am

I just put "Homeland" in our folder on Hulu. I have read good things about the show.

abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:31 am

abuss368 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:20 am
I just put "Homeland" in our folder on Hulu. I have read good things about the show.
I think Homeland is one of the all-time greats. It is one of those shows that survived a couple of questionable seasons and greatly improved. Don't quit after season 2.

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:15 pm

abner kravitz wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:31 am
abuss368 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:20 am
I think Homeland is one of the all-time greats. It is one of those shows that survived a couple of questionable seasons and greatly improved. Don't quit after season 2.
Thank you! There are so many good shows and movies on Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon, that I am wondering why I even bother paying for Hulu Live TV anymore!

ColoradoRick

Post by ColoradoRick » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:22 pm

abuss368 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:48 pm
American Greed on CNBC. Curious if other Bogleheads enjoy that show.
Love this show also. Not saying I'm immune, but I always love at the end when the victims say "...but he seemed so honest and sincere."
But almost all of them did no due diligence and they don't realize that's the conperson's job to seem honest and sincere. Great show!

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:28 pm

ColoradoRick wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:22 pm
abuss368 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:48 pm
American Greed on CNBC. Curious if other Bogleheads enjoy that show.
Love this show also. Not saying I'm immune, but I always love at the end when the victims say "...but he seemed so honest and sincere."
But almost all of them did no due diligence and they don't realize that's the conperson's job to seem honest and sincere. Great show!
Agree. I too have been surprised how some of the victims have fallen for certain fraud.

rich126

Post by rich126 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:45 pm

I signed up for CBS All Access (misleading name) to catch up on some shows and stumbled upon Picard. For non-Star Trek people, it stars Patrick Stewart as a retired Star Fleet Admiral. I've always liked Stewart (he turns 80 this year) and so far (3 episodes) it is well done and not the typical Star Trek show IMO.

I do find it amusing that his dog in the show is named "Number 1" :D

Puretaxableindexer

Post by Puretaxableindexer » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:43 pm

Homeland season 8. So far, it's OK. But, all of their seasons start out slow and get better.

Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:49 pm

Better Call Saul. The first episode of the penultimate season "aired" last night. The second "airs" tonight. One of the best shows on TV.

[As for seasons starting slow, this series started really slow. We're now into season 5 and finally the star becomes "Saul Goodman."]

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:48 am

ruralavalon wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:49 am
Forensic Files II.

Is it the same narrator as the original series?

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:16 am

mak1277 wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:48 am
ruralavalon wrote:
Forensic Files II.

From https://www.newsweek.com/how-watch-fore ... re-1488525
The only big change from the original Forensic Files is the narrator. Forensic Files II will not be narrated by Peter Thomas as the iconic announcer died in 2016 at the age of 91.
That's a sad disappointment. I hadn't realized how many things Peter Thomas had done and for how many years. His voice certainly is familiar.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:23 am

bertilak wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:16 am
mak1277 wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:48 am
ruralavalon wrote:
Forensic Files II.

From https://www.newsweek.com/how-watch-fore ... re-1488525
The only big change from the original Forensic Files is the narrator. Forensic Files II will not be narrated by Peter Thomas as the iconic announcer died in 2016 at the age of 91.
That's a sad disappointment. I hadn't realized how many things Peter Thomas had done and for how many years. His voice certainly is familiar.
Yeah, big bummer. I won't lie, the narration was about 96% of the reason I watched the show.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:09 pm

The Capture. It is a 6 part mini series available on Amazon. I'd give it a 7/10. Without giving too much away, it is about law enforcement and CCTV evidence and the possible manipulation (deep fake) of such evidence.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:00 pm

Better Call Saul, on Netflix. I fully agree - it's one of the best shows out there (second to Breaking Bad, maybe).

Interesting as "#6 show" was next to the series title. That says a lot.