Good portfolio visualizers that support non US domiciled ETFs?

For investors outside the US. Personal investments, personal finance, investing news and theory.
Sister forums: Canada, Spain (en español)
---------------
Post Reply
Topic Author
bogle1024
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:01 am

Good portfolio visualizers that support non US domiciled ETFs?

Post by bogle1024 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:09 pm

Hey Bogleheads, just a simple question. It seems most portfolio visualizers don't include non-us etfs. Can you recommend any good (ideally free) suggestions?

Thanks

glorat
Posts: 408
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:17 am

Re: Good portfolio visualizers that support non US domiciled ETFs?

Post by glorat » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:18 pm

I'm actually in the process of making one (including for general use!) but it depends what you want from one.

If it is about visualising the performance of *your* portfolio, there are some limited tools out there (like morningstar) but that's where I'm looking to do better

If it is about visualising the performance of what-if portfolios for backtesting etc. like https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/ then there isn't much. The closest I've seen is https://portfoliocharts.com/portfolios/ which does include international data but only high level indices rather than specific ETFs

Laurizas
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:44 am
Location: Lithuania

Re: Good portfolio visualizers that support non US domiciled ETFs?

Post by Laurizas » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:40 am


Topic Author
bogle1024
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:01 am

Re: Good portfolio visualizers that support non US domiciled ETFs?

Post by bogle1024 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:56 am

Thanks all for the replies, these look useful. However, it seems none of these support the ETFs I plan to hold in my portfolio, including VDEV :(

DJN
Posts: 554
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:30 am

Re: Good portfolio visualizers that support non US domiciled ETFs?

Post by DJN » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:03 am

Hi,
depending exactly upon what you want, I am guessing that justetf might be useful. You can construct a couple of portfolios with actual tracking of real etf performance. Nice charts and the like for elucidation and fun: https://www.justetf.com/en/
Careful to choose a location that suits you. You can search nicely for non-US etfs.
DJN
Yah shure

Topic Author
bogle1024
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:01 am

Re: Good portfolio visualizers that support non US domiciled ETFs?

Post by bogle1024 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:15 am

DJN wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:03 am
Hi,
depending exactly upon what you want, I am guessing that justetf might be useful. You can construct a couple of portfolios with actual tracking of real etf performance. Nice charts and the like for elucidation and fun: https://www.justetf.com/en/
Careful to choose a location that suits you. You can search nicely for non-US etfs.
DJN
Thanks DJN, this one has my etfs! Unfortunately all the features for testing are premium

Laurizas
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:44 am
Location: Lithuania

Re: Good portfolio visualizers that support non US domiciled ETFs?

Post by Laurizas » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:33 am

They have 30 days free trial.

User avatar
Tyler9000
Posts: 483
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:57 am

Re: Good portfolio visualizers that support non US domiciled ETFs?

Post by Tyler9000 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:37 am

bogle1024 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:56 am
Thanks all for the replies, these look useful. However, it seems none of these support the ETFs I plan to hold in my portfolio, including VDEV :(
Portfolio Charts can help. You just have to think beyond tickers and understand the indices they track.

In this case, VDEV tracks large and mid cap stocks of the developed world. On any of the charting tools (like this one), look at the interface at the top. Find "WLD", and set the toggle to "DEV". Then enter the portfolio percentage you plan to put into VDEV into the "LCB" column. That will model developed world large caps (the "B" stands for "blend" and just means it's the whole market with no value or growth filter). If you want to get really precise you could also add mid caps in the same proportion as VDEV, but because of the way cap weighting works large caps alone should be pretty close.

You can follow the same process for all types of stocks, bonds, and other assets. By modeling the underlying index directly, you can replicate most passively managed index funds and construct any portfolio you like without tickers.

While you're at it, be sure to adjust the home country to wherever you live. That will also translate the numbers to local currency and inflation.

User avatar
Forester
Posts: 742
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:50 pm
Location: UK

Re: Good portfolio visualizers that support non US domiciled ETFs?

Post by Forester » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:54 pm

bogle1024 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:09 pm
Hey Bogleheads, just a simple question. It seems most portfolio visualizers don't include non-us etfs. Can you recommend any good (ideally free) suggestions?

Thanks
Which ETFs? Most European ETFs have US counterparts with identical or very similar holdings. You can probably get away with using US tickers in your backtesting.

Topic Author
bogle1024
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:01 am

Re: Good portfolio visualizers that support non US domiciled ETFs?

Post by bogle1024 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:14 am

Forester wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:54 pm
bogle1024 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:09 pm
Hey Bogleheads, just a simple question. It seems most portfolio visualizers don't include non-us etfs. Can you recommend any good (ideally free) suggestions?

Thanks
Which ETFs? Most European ETFs have US counterparts with identical or very similar holdings. You can probably get away with using US tickers in your backtesting.
VDEV/VDEM/AGGG (or the accumulating versions)

Topic Author
bogle1024
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:01 am

Re: Good portfolio visualizers that support non US domiciled ETFs?

Post by bogle1024 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:15 am

Tyler9000 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:37 am
bogle1024 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:56 am
Thanks all for the replies, these look useful. However, it seems none of these support the ETFs I plan to hold in my portfolio, including VDEV :(
Portfolio Charts can help. You just have to think beyond tickers and understand the indices they track.

In this case, VDEV tracks large and mid cap stocks of the developed world. On any of the charting tools (like this one), look at the interface at the top. Find "WLD", and set the toggle to "DEV". Then enter the portfolio percentage you plan to put into VDEV into the "LCB" column. That will model developed world large caps (the "B" stands for "blend" and just means it's the whole market with no value or growth filter). If you want to get really precise you could also add mid caps in the same proportion as VDEV, but because of the way cap weighting works large caps alone should be pretty close.

You can follow the same process for all types of stocks, bonds, and other assets. By modeling the underlying index directly, you can replicate most passively managed index funds and construct any portfolio you like without tickers.

While you're at it, be sure to adjust the home country to wherever you live. That will also translate the numbers to local currency and inflation.
Thanks Tyler9000, let me try tinkering with the model to simulate my intended portfolio.

User avatar
Forester
Posts: 742
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:50 pm
Location: UK

Re: Good portfolio visualizers that support non US domiciled ETFs?

Post by Forester » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:24 pm

bogle1024 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:14 am
Forester wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:54 pm
bogle1024 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:09 pm
Hey Bogleheads, just a simple question. It seems most portfolio visualizers don't include non-us etfs. Can you recommend any good (ideally free) suggestions?

Thanks
Which ETFs? Most European ETFs have US counterparts with identical or very similar holdings. You can probably get away with using US tickers in your backtesting.
VDEV/VDEM/AGGG (or the accumulating versions)
VDEV = VEA
VDEM = VWO
AGGG = BNDW

User avatar
BeBH65
Posts: 1608
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:28 am

Re: Good portfolio visualizers that support non US domiciled ETFs?

Post by BeBH65 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:55 pm

Forester wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:54 pm
bogle1024 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:09 pm
Hey Bogleheads, just a simple question. It seems most portfolio visualizers don't include non-us etfs. Can you recommend any good (ideally free) suggestions?

Thanks
Which ETFs? Most European ETFs have US counterparts with identical or very similar holdings. You can probably get away with using US tickers in your backtesting.
I would suggest the following:

VDEV = 40% VEA + 60% VOO
VDEM = VWO
AGGG = 25% BND + 75% IAGG (no hedging)

Please understand that the results will be in USD - currency fluctuations might give different results in your currency.
BeBH65. (only an investment enthusiast, not a financial adviser, perform your due diligence). | Have a look at https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Outline_of_Non-US_domiciles

Post Reply