Join AARP for Fun and Profit

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Post Reply
User avatar
Topic Author
whodidntante
Posts: 7250
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:11 pm
Location: outside the echo chamber

Join AARP for Fun and Profit

Post by whodidntante » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:33 pm

Being a member of AARP has certain benefits, perhaps. But don't do it for that. Do it for the profit. Earn $8 with this deal.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/swagbuck ... -worth-20/

By the way, you don't have to be old or retired to join AARP. It's probably best that you're young so you can mess with people. Also, your spouse/partner/favorite cat can get a free membership.

OK, seriously, here are the benefits.

https://www.aarp.org/benefits-discounts ... ITS-EWHERE

Big Dog
Posts: 1675
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:12 pm

Re: Join AARP for Fun and Profit

Post by Big Dog » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:42 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:33 pm
Being a member of AARP has certain benefits, perhaps. But don't do it for that. Do it for the profit. Earn $8 with this deal.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/swagbuck ... -worth-20/

By the way, you don't have to be old or retired to join AARP. It's probably best that you're young so you can mess with people. Also, your spouse/partner/favorite cat can get a free membership.

OK, seriously, here are the benefits.

https://www.aarp.org/benefits-discounts ... ITS-EWHERE
tbf, many (most?) of those senior discounts are easily available even if not a member. For example, many hotels and others in the travel industry offer a 'Senior' rate which is the same as AARP. Medicare supplements are state-approved so one does not need to be an AARP member to select a UHC supplement.

kaneohe
Posts: 6078
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:38 pm

Re: Join AARP for Fun and Profit

Post by kaneohe » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:57 pm

Big Dog wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:42 pm
.......................................... Medicare supplements are state-approved so one does not need to be an AARP member to select a UHC supplement.
Whenever I signed up for a UHC supplement (1x forPlan F, 1x for Plan G) I was told I needed to be a member of AARP to join.
You don't need to renew but for signup you need to be a member.

"Who is eligible for AARP Medicare Supplement?
You must be an AARP member to enroll in an AARP Medicare Supplement Plan. In some states, plans may be available to persons under age 65 who are eligible for Medicare by reason of disability or End-Stage Renal Disease. Not connected with or endorsed by the U.S. Government or the federal Medicare program.Dec 18, 2019"

https://www.google.com/search?q=do+you+ ... e&ie=UTF-8

MathWizard
Posts: 3777
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:35 pm

Re: Join AARP for Fun and Profit

Post by MathWizard » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:03 pm

I've more than paid for my memberships with hotel discounts that were not otherwise available to me.
Maybe I stay in either cheaper or more expensive hotels than everyone else, or it is a regional thing.

My AARP credit card gives me the most cash back, and has my AARP number on it, so I don't need my
AARP card to verify membership (the few times that happened).

The membership is not a very expensive thing. I buy it 5 years at a time both for me and my wife.

aristotelian
Posts: 6802
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:05 pm

Re: Join AARP for Fun and Profit

Post by aristotelian » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:39 pm

What are Swagbucks? Is that some kind of cryptocurrency?

User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 17810
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!
Contact:

Re: Join AARP for Fun and Profit

Post by abuss368 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:51 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:33 pm
Being a member of AARP has certain benefits, perhaps. But don't do it for that. Do it for the profit. Earn $8 with this deal.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/swagbuck ... -worth-20/

By the way, you don't have to be old or retired to join AARP. It's probably best that you're young so you can mess with people. Also, your spouse/partner/favorite cat can get a free membership.

OK, seriously, here are the benefits.

https://www.aarp.org/benefits-discounts ... ITS-EWHERE
We had family that just did it. They save a little here and there and have no regrets.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success." || Buy Total Stock until it hurts. Then find a way to buy even more!

User avatar
Cubicle
Posts: 435
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:43 am

Re: Join AARP for Fun and Profit

Post by Cubicle » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:08 pm

Thanks to OP for posting. I've wanted to join AARP for a while now, these early 30s are tearing me apart.

But seriously, I use my parent's AARP for discounts quite a bit.

Godot
Posts: 299
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:44 pm
Location: Little Beirut

Re: Join AARP for Fun and Profit

Post by Godot » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:25 am

[OT comment removed -- mod oldcomputerguy]
I've been trying to stop AARP junk mail for years now. I've called, emailed, sent letters, all to no avail. Would love to shame them into stopping, if I could figure out a way.
Estragon: I can't go on like this. | Vladimir: That's what you think. | ― Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

User avatar
AerialWombat
Posts: 1160
Joined: Tue May 29, 2018 1:07 pm

Re: Join AARP for Fun and Profit

Post by AerialWombat » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:05 am

“In before the lock.” :beer

User avatar
galawdawg
Posts: 314
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:59 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Join AARP for Fun and Profit

Post by galawdawg » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:23 am

Leaving the politics of AARP aside and sticking with the purely financial aspect of membership...

I gave an AARP membership a whirl a few years ago when Walgreens offered a free AARP membership with the purchase of $15 worth of Walgreens brand vitamins and such. At that time, AARP offered a few somewhat useful discounts, including 10% off Hilton Brand hotel rates and a free donut at Dunkin' Donuts with the purchase of a large or extra large coffee. Since then, they have eliminated the Dunkin' Donuts offer and the Hilton discount has been cut to 5% which is no better than the discounts available to just about any Hilton Honors members. The Denny's discount may have had some value but there isn't a Denny's within fifty miles of me. I didn't see anything else from a discount perspective that was useful (at least to me).

I didn't renew after the first year and haven't missed it.

basspond
Posts: 1286
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:01 am

Re: Join AARP for Fun and Profit

Post by basspond » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:01 am

AARP is a Union for old folks and being a member doesn’t give you a say on how they spend the money you give them. I pass, I’m a right to retire guy.

fru-gal
Posts: 1357
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:48 pm
Location: New England

Re: Join AARP for Fun and Profit

Post by fru-gal » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:27 am

Godot wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:25 am
[OT comment removed -- mod oldcomputerguy]

I've been trying to stop AARP junk mail for years now. I've called, emailed, sent letters, all to no avail. Would love to shame them into stopping, if I could figure out a way.
I just emailed their member services email and it stopped. I'm still an AARP member though, as the discounts more than make up for the fee. Plus they advocate for Seniors, not any particular party.

palanzo
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:28 pm

Re: Join AARP for Fun and Profit

Post by palanzo » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:37 am

Godot wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:25 am
[OT comment removed -- mod oldcomputerguy]
I've been trying to stop AARP junk mail for years now. I've called, emailed, sent letters, all to no avail. Would love to shame them into stopping, if I could figure out a way.
Same here. Even worse AARP sells your information. Not worth the benefits.

User avatar
oldcomputerguy
Moderator
Posts: 7065
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:50 am
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Re: Join AARP for Fun and Profit

Post by oldcomputerguy » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:40 am

Several off-topic comments were removed. As a reminder, discussion of politics is not allowed by forum policy. See Unacceptable Topics:
In order to avoid the inevitable frictions that arise from these topics, political or religious posts and comments are prohibited.
Please keep the discussion centered on the financial aspects of the topic.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

jebmke
Posts: 10062
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Join AARP for Fun and Profit

Post by jebmke » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:46 am

Most of the standard discounts like car rental, hotels etc I can get the same deal through USAA. But our local optometrist and optician gives a 50% discount for AARP members so it pays back pretty quickly. Would be good to cut down on the mailings -- it tends to fill up the recycle bin.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

FrankLUSMC
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:43 pm

Re: Join AARP for Fun and Profit

Post by FrankLUSMC » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:49 am

I joined AMAC, just saying that there is an alternative Senior organization with discounts.
I also ride an alternative motorcycle than Harley.
I also did not buy any APPLE products.
I prefer to find my own trail whenever possible.

User avatar
Topic Author
whodidntante
Posts: 7250
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:11 pm
Location: outside the echo chamber

Re: Join AARP for Fun and Profit

Post by whodidntante » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:57 am

aristotelian wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:39 pm
What are Swagbucks? Is that some kind of cryptocurrency?
It's a rebate site similar to Rakuten or MileagePlus shopping. Basically you click through the website and earn a rebate after a settlement period to make sure you don't game the system.

Swagbucks are worth 1 cent each and can be used to purchase gift cards or to transfer to Paypal at that rate. Once a month, you can purchase a single $25 Visa gift card for 13% off or a single $25 Amazon gift card for 12% off. However, you can redeem hundreds of dollars at 1 cent per point. No limit as far as I know.

I've used it for over a year. They do pay as promised. Make sure you're not using an adblocker and follow the instructions for offers exactly.

GlennK
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:20 am

Re: Join AARP for Fun and Profit

Post by GlennK » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:01 am

FrankLUSMC wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:49 am
I joined AMAC, just saying that there is an alternative Senior organization with discounts.
I also ride an alternative motorcycle than Harley.
I also did not buy any APPLE products.
I prefer to find my own trail whenever possible.
+1 I joined AMAC (Association for Matured American Citizens) a few years ago. They also have discounts. And my motorcycle is not a Harley either. Finally, I prefer Android products too.

User avatar
FrugalInvestor
Posts: 5329
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:20 am

Re: Join AARP for Fun and Profit

Post by FrugalInvestor » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:31 am

I also found AARP not worth the discounts (usually available in other ways) and that it filled my small mailbox with junk mail. It also took me years to get the quantity reduced so the last thing I wanted to do was join again.

When I went to sign-up for my Medicare supplement UHC was the most attractive option but required AARP membership for sign-up. I called and asked if I could somehow specify at sign-up that I would not be put on their junk mail list(s) and was told I could. I'm happy to report that my request was honored that that the AARP mail I'm receiving is minimal and directly related to my supplement policy. I'm also very pleased with the efficient administration of my policy.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

palanzo
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:28 pm

Re: Join AARP for Fun and Profit

Post by palanzo » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:51 pm

FrugalInvestor wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:31 am
I also found AARP not worth the discounts (usually available in other ways) and that it filled my small mailbox with junk mail. It also took me years to get the quantity reduced so the last thing I wanted to do was join again.

When I went to sign-up for my Medicare supplement UHC was the most attractive option but required AARP membership for sign-up. I called and asked if I could somehow specify at sign-up that I would not be put on their junk mail list(s) and was told I could. I'm happy to report that my request was honored that that the AARP mail I'm receiving is minimal and directly related to my supplement policy. I'm also very pleased with the efficient administration of my policy.
The efficient administration of your policy is a result of the efficiency of United Health Care. Not AARP.

User avatar
FrugalInvestor
Posts: 5329
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:20 am

Re: Join AARP for Fun and Profit

Post by FrugalInvestor » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:00 pm

palanzo wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:51 pm
FrugalInvestor wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:31 am
I also found AARP not worth the discounts (usually available in other ways) and that it filled my small mailbox with junk mail. It also took me years to get the quantity reduced so the last thing I wanted to do was join again.

When I went to sign-up for my Medicare supplement UHC was the most attractive option but required AARP membership for sign-up. I called and asked if I could somehow specify at sign-up that I would not be put on their junk mail list(s) and was told I could. I'm happy to report that my request was honored that that the AARP mail I'm receiving is minimal and directly related to my supplement policy. I'm also very pleased with the efficient administration of my policy.
The efficient administration of your policy is a result of the efficiency of United Health Care. Not AARP.

I agree. I bought it in spite of the fact it had the AARP name on it, not because of that. It happened to be the best priced plan G in my area.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

ronno2018
Posts: 204
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:31 am

Re: Join AARP for Fun and Profit

Post by ronno2018 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:09 pm

GlennK wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:01 am
FrankLUSMC wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:49 am
I joined AMAC, just saying that there is an alternative Senior organization with discounts.
I also ride an alternative motorcycle than Harley.
I also did not buy any APPLE products.
I prefer to find my own trail whenever possible.
+1 I joined AMAC (Association for Matured American Citizens) a few years ago. They also have discounts. And my motorcycle is not a Harley either. Finally, I prefer Android products too.
Me and my AARP leftist buddies are going to fight you in the alley!!! Just wait and see. :twisted: (moderator this is a joke!)

User avatar
BroIceCream
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:31 pm
Location: California

Re: Join AARP for Fun and Profit

Post by BroIceCream » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:39 pm

palanzo wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:37 am
Godot wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:25 am
I've been trying to stop AARP junk mail for years now. I've called, emailed, sent letters, all to no avail. Would love to shame them into stopping, if I could figure out a way.
Same here. Even worse AARP sells your information. Not worth the benefits.
Ditto. I learned from others that there is a cost... and that is the junk mailers which are hard to stop.
but I'm loving the IHOP 55+ menu... https://www.ihop.com/en/menu/55-plus

palanzo
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:28 pm

Re: Join AARP for Fun and Profit

Post by palanzo » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:16 am

BroIceCream wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:39 pm
palanzo wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:37 am
Godot wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:25 am
I've been trying to stop AARP junk mail for years now. I've called, emailed, sent letters, all to no avail. Would love to shame them into stopping, if I could figure out a way.
Same here. Even worse AARP sells your information. Not worth the benefits.
Ditto. I learned from others that there is a cost... and that is the junk mailers which are hard to stop.
but I'm loving the IHOP 55+ menu... https://www.ihop.com/en/menu/55-plus
AARP also sells your email address!

valleyrock
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:12 am

Re: Join AARP for Fun and Profit

Post by valleyrock » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:32 am

Godot wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:25 am
[OT comment removed -- mod oldcomputerguy]
I've been trying to stop AARP junk mail for years now. I've called, emailed, sent letters, all to no avail. Would love to shame them into stopping, if I could figure out a way.
Call the membership Dept. and ask them to "please opt me out of everything that can be opted out of, including third party mailings and everything else they can do " That magic word can definitely help. So does using "opt out."

UpperNwGuy
Posts: 3039
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:16 pm

Re: Join AARP for Fun and Profit

Post by UpperNwGuy » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:07 am

It's easy to stop the flow of AARP emails. Just click the link at the bottom of the email, and it will give you the choice of opting out of that type of email or all AARP emails.

FrankLUSMC
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:43 pm

Re: Join AARP for Fun and Profit

Post by FrankLUSMC » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:57 am

ronno2018 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:09 pm
GlennK wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:01 am
FrankLUSMC wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:49 am
I joined AMAC, just saying that there is an alternative Senior organization with discounts.
I also ride an alternative motorcycle than Harley.
I also did not buy any APPLE products.
I prefer to find my own trail whenever possible.
+1 I joined AMAC (Association for Matured American Citizens) a few years ago. They also have discounts. And my motorcycle is not a Harley either. Finally, I prefer Android products too.
Me and my AARP leftist buddies are going to fight you in the alley!!! Just wait and see. :twisted: (moderator this is a joke!)
I think I'd rather discuss over a beer at this age. :sharebeer

Godot
Posts: 299
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:44 pm
Location: Little Beirut

Re: Join AARP for Fun and Profit

Post by Godot » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:24 am

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:07 am
It's easy to stop the flow of AARP emails. Just click the link at the bottom of the email, and it will give you the choice of opting out of that type of email or all AARP emails.
Junk mail, as in paper junk mail.
Estragon: I can't go on like this. | Vladimir: That's what you think. | ― Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

palanzo
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:28 pm

Re: Join AARP for Fun and Profit

Post by palanzo » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:14 am

valleyrock wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:32 am
Godot wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:25 am
[OT comment removed -- mod oldcomputerguy]
I've been trying to stop AARP junk mail for years now. I've called, emailed, sent letters, all to no avail. Would love to shame them into stopping, if I could figure out a way.
Call the membership Dept. and ask them to "please opt me out of everything that can be opted out of, including third party mailings and everything else they can do " That magic word can definitely help. So does using "opt out."
One does not expect the AARP to be a center for selling one's information and a sender of junk mail. I was very disappointed and left the organization after submitting my information and account to be deleted.

Post Reply