Costco Tires

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
CULater

Costco Tires

Post by CULater »

Wondering what your experience has been with tires from Costco. Do they have good ones and what about the cost of installation, balancing, etc compared to Discount Tire, Tires Plus, etc.? How about support if you have a damaged tire, flat, etc. or if the tires don't seem to be right after being installed (pull, vibration, etc.)
On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.
KlangFool

Re: Costco Tires

Post by KlangFool »

CULater wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:14 pm Wondering what your experience has been with tires from Costco. Do they have good ones and what about the cost of installation, balancing, etc compared to Discount Tire, Tires Plus, etc.? How about support if you have a damaged tire, flat, etc. or if the tires don't seem to be right after being installed (pull, vibration, etc.)
I buy all my car tires from Costco.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

I've been buying almost exclusively from Coscto for the past 15 years. The one exception was a winter tire/wheel package I bought from Tirerack. Service has been very, very good. They call to remind you to bring the car back in for a re-torque a few days after the initial install. I have only had to have tires rebalanced once, but they did it without issue, and have also removed/remounted tires for me numerous times when I bent/cracked wheels.

I have had one tire replaced under the road hazard. It was actually a (very small) sidewall blowout. I hit a really nasty pothole right before parking for dinner, and came out to find a completely flat tire. I drove very slowly on the flat to a nearby gas station, refilled it and was able to make the 45-50 minute drive home before the pressure got low enough to trigger the TPMS sensor. Unfortunately, in that short time I put quite a lot of wear on the sidewall right across the hole. So it would have been very difficult to tell whether the hole came before or after the sidewall wear. But they examined it and replaced it for free without question.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

CULater wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:14 pm Wondering what your experience has been with tires from Costco. Do they have good ones and what about the cost of installation, balancing, etc compared to Discount Tire, Tires Plus, etc.? How about support if you have a damaged tire, flat, etc. or if the tires don't seem to be right after being installed (pull, vibration, etc.)
Our family has bought and had installed Michelin tires at Costco since forever.
Great prices, service, and warranty.

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

Costco, when on sale, are pretty good value-wise. They have very reasonable installation prices, and I've twice brought in tires bough from Discount Tire Direct to be installed at Costco, without issue.

However, we now have an America's Tire locally. Discount Tire is parent Co.

I recently emailed AT to get them to price-match Costco on a recent coupon/sale. They responded within hours and I brought the email in to the store and received a 100% price match. PLUS you still can use the store card to get rebates. So we were $50 ahead. Then a few days later, Costco had an even better coupon ($150 vs $110 off). Emailed AT again, and found out that they provide a 30-day price match policy.

I've always preferred DTD/AT for their unbeatable deals - rebates (stack-able from manufacturer plus DTD/AT) combined with holiday sales and you get a much better price than Costco even. If you're fine doing the rebate chasing game, that's my recommendation. If you just want to present your CC and shop while tires get put on, Costco works fine.
jbmitt

Post by jbmitt »

I've purchased Michelin and Bridgestone tires from Costco. I believe those are the only brands they carry. While the selection is somewhat limited compared to other stores, I think that the pricing is fair and the service has been very good. I've found that they do have additional tires sizes available to order in store as opposed to what is online. I'd suggest using their online appointment tool. They repaired an OEM tire at no charge.

Swapping all season/winter tires does come with a fee and they don't have alignment racks, so you need to locate another shop for that to be done periodically.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Sandtrap wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:29 pm
Our family has bought and had installed Michelin tires at Costco since forever.
Great prices, service, and warranty.

j :happy
+1. Multiple cars, multiple Costcos in different parts of the country, never an issue. I usually wait for some kind of sale.
Hogan773

Post by Hogan773 »

Honestly I always go back to Discount Tire

They have great service and they always negotiate on price where I can end up getting everything for cheaper than at Costco. Sometimes I need to drop the comparison if Costco is having their sale and they will always match it but often I end up getting an even lower all-in price from DT.

What I never wanted to deal with at Costco was the wait. They have fewer bays and they didn't take reservations. I believe they now do take them so that is an improvement. Since the price was always at least as good at DT I've always just gone to them. They have a better selection of tires too. I recently have gone with Continentals for various reasons (better wet/snow performance and slightly lower price) and you can't get those at Costco.
fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors »

Hogan773 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:53 pm Honestly I always go back to Discount Tire

They have great service and they always negotiate on price where I can end up getting everything for cheaper than at Costco. Sometimes I need to drop the comparison if Costco is having their sale and they will always match it but often I end up getting an even lower all-in price from DT.

What I never wanted to deal with at Costco was the wait. They have fewer bays and they didn't take reservations. I believe they now do take them so that is an improvement. Since the price was always at least as good at DT I've always just gone to them. They have a better selection of tires too. I recently have gone with Continentals for various reasons (better wet/snow performance and slightly lower price) and you can't get those at Costco.

The Costco's in my area only do appointments, no walk ins... I had a tire beyond repair so I was driving on a spare. I wanted to change tires that day (Wednesday) but the earliest appointment was a Saturday! I :oops:
Last edited by fareastwarriors on Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ivyhedge

Post by ivyhedge »

fareastwarriors wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:57 pm
The Costco's in my area only do appointments, no walk in... I had a tire beyond repair so I was driving on a spare. I wanted to change tires that day (Wednesday) but the earliest appointment was a Saturday! I :oops:
Same.

Additionally, we have a vehicle that uses dissimilar sizes on the front and rear. Our experience last time was poor: it was as if they had never encountered such a situation (despite our vehicle's popularity in the Greater Boston area). Someone actually tried to tell us that they *never* shoe such cars. Escalation corrected that, but their subsequent behavior was almost to the point of timidity - as if we had brought them an exotic car (the difference is 20mm) made of glass.

Odd.
Polymath.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

KlangFool wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:19 pm
I buy all my car tires from Costco.

KlangFool
Ditto. Also use the 'free' balancing and rotation service. (But I live a couple of miles away from the nearest Costco so dropping off the car for a rotation is not a PIA.)
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

ivyhedge wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:05 pm Additionally, we have a vehicle that uses dissimilar sizes on the front and rear. Our experience last time was poor: it was as if they had never encountered such a situation (despite our vehicle's popularity in the Greater Boston area). Someone actually tried to tell us that they *never* shoe such cars. Escalation corrected that, but their subsequent behavior was almost to the point of timidity - as if we had brought them an exotic car (the difference is 20mm) made of glass.
Wow that is so diametrically opposed to my experience. I brought them a car on a factory square (all 4 wheels/tires the same) setup, with new staggered wheels (1" different width) still in the boxes, and they mounted staggered tires (40mm difference in width) on them with no issues whatsoever. I have actually done this a couple of times (stupid Chicago roads!).
The Broz

Post by The Broz »

I will echo a few folks here. I always go to Costco. No complaints. You can do appointments online now, which is a big help. They do have sales fairly often, so just keep an eye out.
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

I went to Costco one time and was very impressed with their prices and services. I wanted to come back a second time but the wait time is always atrocious.

I now exclusively shop America's Tire/Discount Tires. They have bar none the best customer service I've ever had the pleasure to deal with. I have come in with a flat tires purchased elsewhere and they repair for free multiple times. I have come in once with a flat tire that can't be repaired that I purchased from them without warranty. They replaced it and said all I needed to do was buy the $15 warranty now and I can claim it instantly for the replacement. They have free tire rotation and balance. I can usually schedule my tire service in the morning and be in and out in 30 minutes.
almostretired1965

Post by almostretired1965 »

mmmodem wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:34 pm I went to Costco one time and was very impressed with their prices and services. I wanted to come back a second time but the wait time is always atrocious.

I now exclusively shop America's Tire/Discount Tires. They have bar none the best customer service I've ever had the pleasure to deal with. I have come in with a flat tires purchased elsewhere and they repair for free multiple times. I have come in once with a flat tire that can't be repaired that I purchased from them without warranty. They replaced it and said all I needed to do was buy the $15 warranty now and I can claim it instantly for the replacement. They have free tire rotation and balance. I can usually schedule my tire service in the morning and be in and out in 30 minutes.
I always buy online and schedule an installation so lines have never been a problem. If you are patient, in addition to the normal deals that alternate between Bridgestone and Michelin, at least a couple of times a year they will throw in installation for free or close to free.
mtmingus

Post by mtmingus »

We always replace tires at Costco: Michelin and Bridgestone, when they are on sale. Mostly good experience.
NewOldGuy

Post by NewOldGuy »

Hogan773 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:53 pm Honestly I always go back to Discount Tire

The Costco's in my area only do appointments, no walk ins... I had a tire beyond repair so I was driving on a spare. I wanted to change tires that day (Wednesday) but the earliest appointment was a Saturday! I :oops:
Yes, appointments are preferred, however I have left my car with no appointment more than once and they have always (knock on wood) got my car done the same day. Sometimes they call me within two hours, sometimes end of day, but no appointment necessary based on the number of no-shows.
fourwaystreet

Post by fourwaystreet »

Costco seems to do just about everything very well, including tires.
When someone you love becomes a memory, the memory becomes a treasure.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

I buy all my tires at Costco. They have the best prices in my area. They don’t tack on extra charges for mounting, balancing, etc.

They sell Bridgestone and Michelin, and they seem to alternate which ones are on sale each month.

No complaints or issues here.
fareastwarriors

NewOldGuy wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:20 pm

Yes, appointments are preferred, however I have left my car with no appointment more than once and they have always (knock on wood) got my car done the same day. Sometimes they call me within two hours, sometimes end of day, but no appointment necessary based on the number of no-shows.
I told them I was willing to wait all day but no deal. I went to 2 Costco to ask. This was last month. I'm a huge Costco fan nonetheless but now I get my tires at Tire Pros.
fareastwarriors

NewOldGuy wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:20 pm

I told them I was willing to wait all day but no deal. I went to 2 different Costco's to ask. This was last month. I'm a huge Costco fan nonetheless but now I get my tires at Tire Pros.
DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva »

4 generations in my family have used Discount TIre / America's Tire because of their excellent service.
zlandar

Post by zlandar »

Discount Tire is either the same or cheaper than Costco. It's closer to my home and it's alot easier to get an appt.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

You can't say "Costco", you have to say which Costco specifically. We've had some posts where people have had to wait forever for service, and others where they can go anytime and get prompt service. Probably that's true with many other stores. As for the tires, sometimes large retailers do have a small selection of tire models made just for them, but if the name is exactly the same as from another retailer, it's very likely the same tire. Yes, if you go to a tiny retailer you might get a tire left over for years, but mainstream retailers likley all purchase through a similar supply chain and have decent turnover. But even that is easy enough to check.

Costco has a kind of fan base that doesn't always recognize that Costco isn't always great at everything everywhere, so you have to read posts with that taken into consideration - kind of like with some comments about Vanguard.
Bapple1420

Post by Bapple1420 »

used costco today for the first time. They recorded the wrong serial numbers on the receipt, which would have created a problem if I ever needed warranty work. If it weren't for any anal nature of checking receipts, I would not have discovered this problem
keystone

Post by keystone »

I love Costco for tires, especially when they have a sale on Michelins.

I just bought a set of Michelins from Costco a few weeks ago. The wait time is atrocious in my area, particularly on weekends. What I ended up doing was drive to a Costco in a less populated area on a weekday and I was in and out in less than an hour.
Doubleeagle4me

Post by Doubleeagle4me »

Will only replace all 4 tires on Mercedes. Discount tire rocks.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

Even if I can get tires somewhat cheaper at Discount Tire, I’d rather shop at Costco for an hour than wait at Discount Tire for one to two hours. I tried Discount Tire twice and will stick with Costco.

The support at Costco is great, as is their replacement policy.

JT
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

We have used Costco exclusively for tire for last 30 years. They usually have very professional and well trained tire techs. I have also had more than a few folks recommend Discount Tire and would use them for tires.

Most of the rest of various types of tires stores/brands/chains are terrible. One in particular who I won't name (they sell Tires and Batteries on a National basis) use bottom of the barrel incompetent staff and will try to up-sell unneeded services.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

I've been very pleased with Costco's tires and service for many years. I relocated a few years ago and decided to give Discount tire a try due to the fact that the store was more convenient to me and based on several positive reviews. My experience with Discount has been okay, but I'll go back to Costco next time. I just have more confidence in the quality of their employees and the service they provide.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

Discount Tire also doesn't do alignments, at least not in my part of the country.

I like both Discount Tire and Costco. I've sometimes wondered whether the "Certificates' sold by Discount Tire are worth the money, but I bought them the last time.
jbmitt wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:44 pm
Swapping all season/winter tires does come with a fee and they don't have alignment racks, so you need to locate another shop for that to be done periodically.
BobTexas

Post by BobTexas »

Another happy Costco tire customer. I also like that they keep the records of when you bought them and did rotations. The last couple of times I’ve gotten Michelin tires there and don’t get the mileage that are covered in the warranty. No problem getting credits back
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

zlandar wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:27 pm Discount Tire is either the same or cheaper than Costco. It's closer to my home and it's alot easier to get an appt.
This.

They can also order tires much faster. Costco takes 1-2w to get the tire, DT takes about a day (if you call in the afternoon they'll have it in the morning.)

I've bought many sets from Costco but they tend to be very busy. My tires are never in stock and I must make an appointment, it's a pain in the butt. They dangle that little "$100 off" coupon but guess what - everyone else has a coupon too! (Or they'll match the costco price, not much of a stretch at that.)
Just sayin...

Post by Just sayin... »

I have a large 4wd SUV. I purchased 5 Bridgestone KO2 tires at Costco and had them mounted on my vehicle...and never was able to get them balanced satisfactorily. After 5k miles and numerous attempts at balancing, I finally threw in the towel and asked if I could swap them for another brand. The local Costco tire manager (in another state from where I had made my initial purchase) made this happen (switched to Michelin AT2’s), credited me the full purchase price towards the new tires, and made sure I was satisfied. Were they cheapest? Not sure, but probably not - but still got a good deal. Will I buy my next set of tires there? Absolutely.
Hogan773

Post by Hogan773 »

sunny_socal wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:14 am
zlandar wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:27 pm Discount Tire is either the same or cheaper than Costco. It's closer to my home and it's alot easier to get an appt.
This.

They can also order tires much faster. Costco takes 1-2w to get the tire, DT takes about a day (if you call in the afternoon they'll have it in the morning.)

I've bought many sets from Costco but they tend to be very busy. My tires are never in stock and I must make an appointment, it's a pain in the butt. They dangle that little "$100 off" coupon but guess what - everyone else has a coupon too! (Or they'll match the costco price, not much of a stretch at that.)
Agree on this - I know there are people on here who don't have access to a Discount Tire, and I feel for them, and I know I sound like a fanboi but I honestly don't see how Costco can beat them which is why I always end up going back to DT. DT always matches whatever discount you throw at them and often just ends up giving an even lower price especially when they are busy. One time I was throwing the Costco Michelin rebate and 1cent installation at them and they ended up just cutting the price and playing with the numbers such that their price was another $50 less than the total price I would have paid at Costco. And if you get the DT credit card there are often additional rebates you can get that make it cheaper. While they can get busy on the weekends, if you have made an appointment you are usually out within an hour. I just had them install new TPMS sensors and they just gave me a free one since I bought 2 others. They do the nail puncture patch/fix for free with a smile. You could get free tire rotations too if you wanted to, although I have my own jack and tools so always much easier to do it myself in 10 mins while I change oil rather than go sit for an hour waiting at DT for them to do it. They have much better selection of tires and can order anything, so if you see a certain tire that is highly rated for your vehicle on TireRack or something, you can get it.

So yeah I love Costco in general, but I'm not sure I see where Costco can beat any of the above. Maybe match some of it but not beat it.
TheDDC

Post by TheDDC »

There are very few locations listed for Discount Tire. Are they really even a competitor? Amazed to hear myself say this but "there are more Costco locations" than this chain store. The nearest one to Southeast PA is Henrico, VA... This seems to be a very limited chain and would not be under consideration by the vast majority.

-TheDDC
Rules to wealth building: 75-80% VTSAX piled high and deep, 20-25% VTIAX, 0% given away to banks.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

TheDDC wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:15 pm There are very few locations listed for Discount Tire. Are they really even a competitor? Amazed to hear myself say this but "there are more Costco locations" than this chain store. The nearest one to Southeast PA is Henrico, VA... This seems to be a very limited chain and would not be under consideration by the vast majority.
They are the largest independent tire retailer in the world, with about 1,050 stores in 36 states, but are based out of Scottsdale so don't have a huge penetration in the north east. They actually just opened their first store in Pennsylvania yesterday, albeit it's in Pittsburgh, so not SE PA.

Costco has 785 locations worldwide, but only 546 of those are in the US. So there are almost exactly twice as many Discount Tire locations.

Just because something isn't right around the corner from you, doesn't mean the majority of the country is in the same boat. :) In the suburbs of Chicago, I have 5 Discount Tires within 10 miles of me, but only 3 Costcos.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

TheDDC wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:15 pm There are very few locations listed for Discount Tire. Are they really even a competitor?
I spent about 20 minutes yesterday searching in vain for a Discount Tire location near me in the DC-MD-VA area. The nearest one was Henrico, VA.
jmk

Post by jmk »

Tires and service great: But if you want to have it done there for free you have a long wait time or narrow window.
Johnny Thinwallet

Post by Johnny Thinwallet »

Discount Tire is newer in our region, and I'm trying them out today for the very first time. They smashed a local competitor in price by $150 out the door on the set of tires I'm purchasing, and I'm hoping the experience is as good as the price.

I usually inspect my tires with each oil change/rotation, and this week I discovered that the tread is starting to show signs of age with cracks appearing in the tread. The existing tires are Michelin Defenders, and they're about 6 to 7 years old from the DOT manufacture label. Mileage on them is right at 69k. The tread depth is ok, but the cracks are worrisome. My work commute is 50 miles round trip (mostly highway).

The car is garaged at both home and work so that likely helped get a bit more out of the tires, but it's time for replacing.
ceeshrek

Post by ceeshrek »

Costco
+: low price; with periodic $0.01 installation promotions - really good price
-: limited selection for a given tire size; Loooooong wait time for service; super picky about rotation intervals - otherwise they will void the treadwear warrranty.

Discount tire
+: super wide selection; very quick service (in an out in less than 30 minutes for rotation and winter tire change overs).
-: spendier than costco. Turkey Day offers include rebates (I dont enjoy filling out, filing and tracking rebate forms).
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

ceeshrek wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:42 am Discount tire
+: super wide selection; very quick service (in an out in less than 30 minutes for rotation and winter tire change overs).
-: spendier than costco. Turkey Day offers include rebates (I dont enjoy filling out, filing and tracking rebate forms).
DT will match Costco's price, plus you still qualify for rebates. No way they will be more than Costco on direct comparison.
Rebates using their promotions are done online now and do not even require submitted a receipt copy - just enter in the info. Manufacturer rebates will likely require a form and receipt copy.
squirm

Post by squirm »

America s tires is best and they'll match Costco, Sam's,etc.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

We have had very good experiences (and value) in all of our Costco tire purchases.

And, while being installed, we can shop and/or eat at the Food Court.,
FireAway

Post by FireAway »

Does Costco do quick/free flat repair?

I've always gone to Les Schwab (A regional chain), they have a shop in nearly every backwater town in this region, and do free flat repairs - which I seem to need often. I'm open to switching, but it's hard to beat the service from Schwab.
Trism

Post by Trism »

If you need to replace or repair a tire later it may take several days to get an appointment, or you''ll have to wait forever (HOURS) if you just drop in.

And their prices are no better than Discount Tire, where they excel at service (at no additional cost -- and they're usually even less).
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

Costco has high quality tires and good prices, especially on sale. I have bought there before but found it inconvenient when getting tires rotated. Also, they do not do front end alignments which are often desired when buying new tires.

I have found my dealership to be a good option. I can get tires rotated when getting regular service. I get so many coupons from them that I can usually get an oil change and tire rotation for no charge. I have never tried to get a tire repaired under road hazard warranty at Costco but I have done that at dealership and I did not have to wait a long time.

I love Costco but will pass on their tires.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

I have gotten the best deals buying from TireRack and having the tires sent to a local mechanic for installation. TireRack makes this really easy as they give you 5-10 local shops and the cost upfront for installation before you ship the tires.

Nothing wrong with Costco, but I prefer to avoid the store as much as possible as the ones by me are simply zoos all hours of the day/night. So much for the end of retail.
Trism

Post by Trism »

carolinaman wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:44 am Costco has high quality tires and good prices, especially on sale. I have bought there before but found it inconvenient when getting tires rotated. Also, they do not do front end alignments which are often desired when buying new tires.

I have found my dealership to be a good option. I can get tires rotated when getting regular service. I get so many coupons from them that I can usually get an oil change and tire rotation for no charge. I have never tried to get a tire repaired under road hazard warranty at Costco but I have done that at dealership and I did not have to wait a long time.

I love Costco but will pass on their tires.
Glad you mentioned this. My dealer will price match any tire deal on out-the-door price, so often when I need tires I'll just have them replaced while the car is in for service (and I"m driving a free service loaner).

Last time I asked the dealer to match Discount Tire, but when I picked up the car they charged me less than that because they found a better deal at (wait for it) Sears.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

carolinaman wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:44 am Costco has high quality tires and good prices, especially on sale. I have bought there before but found it inconvenient when getting tires rotated. Also, they do not do front end alignments which are often desired when buying new tires.
Unless your previous tires wore unevenly, an alignment is generally not necessary when buying tires. And when one is necessary, usually a 4-wheel alignment should be done.