posture corrector/brace

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
brandy

posture corrector/brace

Post by brandy » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:04 pm

Anybody have any experience with the Back And Shoulder Brace (as seen on tv) or elsewhere? I'm considering getting one. No, I don't expect miracles, but my back could use some help. The posture corrector--it has to be adjustable, of course. What make and model, pros and cons, please.

EHEngineer

Re: posture corrector/brace

Post by EHEngineer » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:15 pm

I saw this on shark tank and gifted it to a friend who slouches. I tried it and it works pretty well. It's visibly noticable, and would attract attention. Not something I would use at work. Otherwise does exactly what you'd expect.
https://www.amazon.com/BetterBack-Suppo ... B0167NBDYU
Or, you can ... decline to let me, a stranger on the Internet, egg you on to an exercise in time-wasting, and you could say "I'm probably OK and I don't care about it that much." -Nisiprius

magicrat

Post by magicrat » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:37 am

I tried it and think it is a crutch that forms bad habits at best. I found it much more effective to understand good posture, be mindful about it, and make sure things like my workstation and car are setup properly.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:05 am

magicrat wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:37 am
I tried it and think it is a crutch that forms bad habits at best. I found it much more effective to understand good posture, be mindful about it, and make sure things like my workstation and car are setup properly.
I asked a physician about something like this quite some time ago, because my mother wanted to get one (and had asked me about it).
The response I got was mainly that this would encourage the person wearing it to "slouch" (or whatever word best fits) even more, and thus the muscles involved would get weaker. Instead, the recommendation was to make a point of "remembering" to sit up straight, etc., and help keep the necessary muscle tone to help with posture.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:24 am

brandy wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:04 pm
Anybody have any experience with the Back And Shoulder Brace (as seen on tv) or elsewhere? I'm considering getting one. No, I don't expect miracles, but my back could use some help. The posture corrector--it has to be adjustable, of course. What make and model, pros and cons, please.
Actionably:
More longer lasting results can be had with a visit to an orthopedic doc, MRI your spine, etc, and go to a rehab center regularly to maintain spine fitness.
Also: Alter your lifestyle and habits to include time set aside at home dedicated to spine and fitness. IE: time doing "dead bugs" on a mat with ball, etc, tension release modalities, etc.
Also: Spine discomfort and pain re-trains us to unconsciously assume poor spine positions and motions, similar to "guarding behavior", so bad exacerbates more bad. Research this and work with an informed spine PT (one who does post op spineys is the best).
Also: stop picking up furniture, the dog, heavy grandkids, and bags of horse feed. :shock:

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:14 am

Unless you’ve had an injury of some sort, bad posture is caused by, and causes, muscle imbalances, especially weak back muscles.

I would think if you have an actual problem, a doctor’s visit, followed by physical therapy, followed by a gym membership, would be more effective.

If you don’t already have a problem, you could skip directly to the gym membership. Maybe with a few sessions with a personal trainer to get things started.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:03 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:14 am
Unless you’ve had an injury of some sort, bad posture is caused by, and causes, muscle imbalances, especially weak back muscles.
Right, and if you prevent your muscles from having to do any work to keep you upright, it seem to me that you would cause further atrophy, making the problem even worse unless you are currently wearing the brace.

The best thing for improving posture is improving strength. Pull ups (modified to reduce load if necessary), rows, shrugs, and dead lifts all develop the upper back and lats in ways that should be beneficial for posture.

Misenplace

Post by Misenplace » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:34 pm

Topic is locked. Medical questions are not permitted by forum policy. See: Medical Issues
Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum. If you are looking for medical information online, I suggest you start with the Medical Library Association's User's Guide to Finding and Evaluating Health Information on the Web which, in addition to providing guidance on evaluating health information, includes a list of their top recommended sites.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:21 pm

Upon further review, this thread will remain locked. The purchase and use of a device to correct posture (which has the potential to cure or harm any underlying issues) is a medical issue.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.