Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Stef

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by Stef »

Accepted a new job offer and increased my total compensation from ~83k to ~100k (including 9k/year for my part-time studying, my current employer wouldn't pay anything) while reducing the weekly working hours from 42h to 38h. Also reducing my commute time from 1h 20min to 15min!

A massive improvement for me :D
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

marti038 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:29 pm DW & I reached the 2 comma club this morning (net worth)! I think I'll have an extra scoop of ice cream after dinner tonight to celebrate.

. . . . .
Congratulations, enjoy the ice cream 🍦
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Stef wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:19 pm Accepted a new job offer and increased my total compensation from ~83k to ~100k (including 9k/year for my part-time studying, my current employer wouldn't pay anything) while reducing the weekly working hours from 42h to 38h. Also reducing my commute time from 1h 20min to 15min!

Congratulations.

My commute was about 5 minutes, a huge job benefit in my opinion.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Investing.Newbie

Post by Investing.Newbie »

Stef wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:19 pm Also reducing my commute time from 1h 20min to 15min!
Congrats :D 15 minute commute is awesome... I have a 15 minute commute too... it's the best perk :sharebeer
Investing.Newbie

marti038 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:29 pm DW & I reached the 2 comma club this morning (net worth)! I think I'll have an extra scoop of ice cream after dinner tonight to celebrate.
Congrats :sharebeer
student

Post by student »

Stef wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:19 pm Accepted a new job offer and increased my total compensation from ~83k to ~100k (including 9k/year for my part-time studying, my current employer wouldn't pay anything) while reducing the weekly working hours from 42h to 38h. Also reducing my commute time from 1h 20min to 15min!

Congratulations.
culturedcommenting

Post by culturedcommenting »

Broke a $2m net worth milestone. Significant to me because it means I'm financially independent at my current spending level. Next stop $3m! :sharebeer
Investing.Newbie

culturedcommenting wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:17 pm Broke a $2m net worth milestone. Significant to me because it means I'm financially independent at my current spending level. Next stop $3m!
Congrats ! :sharebeer Just curious ... How long did it take you to reach $2 million from $1 million ?
jriding

Post by jriding »

culturedcommenting wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:17 pm Broke a $2m net worth milestone. Significant to me because it means I'm financially independent at my current spending level. Next stop $3m! :sharebeer
Congratulations! I hope you enjoy the work that got you there.
culturedcommenting

Post by culturedcommenting »

Investing.Newbie wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:59 am
culturedcommenting wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:17 pm Broke a $2m net worth milestone. Significant to me because it means I'm financially independent at my current spending level. Next stop $3m!
Congrats ! :sharebeer Just curious ... How long did it take you to reach $2 million from $1 million ?
About a year. I had hit $1m maybe 2 years priors but my investments lost value and I went under the bar.
student

Post by student »

culturedcommenting wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:17 pm Broke a $2m net worth milestone. Significant to me because it means I'm financially independent at my current spending level. Next stop $3m! :sharebeer
Wow. Congratulations.
nepats

Post by nepats »

I hit the 2 comma club in my 401K today :sharebeer Hope the current rally continues... 8-)
student

Post by student »

nepats wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:49 am I hit the 2 comma club in my 401K today :sharebeer Hope the current rally continues... 8-)
Congratulations.
financiallycurious

Post by financiallycurious »

I hit $1m networth today net of home equity, 529 plans, and my husband's investments. :sharebeer
Last edited by financiallycurious on Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

nepats wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:49 am I hit the 2 comma club in my 401K today :sharebeer Hope the current rally continues... 8-)
Congratulations :) .
jambadoc

Post by jambadoc »

We hit the two comma club a couple of days ago (with home equity)! We started at -250K about 7.5 years ago at the end of residency. I just wanted to thank all of you who have been so helpful over the years with your insight and advice. I told my wife and her response was, "That's nice, honey." I think I married the right woman. We've currently got about 700K in investments, so our next milestone will probably be one million in investments and/or paying off the house (balance ~200K). Both should be done in the next 2-3 years.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

jambadoc wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:32 am We hit the two comma club a couple of days ago (with home equity)! We started at -250K about 7.5 years ago at the end of residency. I just wanted to thank all of you who have been so helpful over the years with your insight and advice. I told my wife and her response was, "That's nice, honey." I think I married the right woman. We've currently got about 700K in investments, so our next milestone will probably be one million in investments and/or paying off the house (balance ~200K). Both should be done in the next 2-3 years.
You certainly did! Congratulations! :sharebeer
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ Congrats. :thumbsup
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Mortgage payoff!!! My balance is $0.00. :beer

I had originally setup my bank account to do an ACH transfer for the balance due. When I tried to execute the ACH transaction, I was very surprised to learn that banks put a limit on the ACH dollar amount (like $5,000 or so). It would take a number of days to payoff my balance. :shock:

So, a trip to the bank for a Wire transfer. The funds were transferred the same day ($20 wire transfer fee).

Customer support said I won't be getting my mortgage paperwork back, so I'll have to print out my own documents (I have a copy) in order to have a mortgage burning party. :)

(I'll be getting a "Paid in Full" letter and lien release over the next few weeks.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
mighty72

Post by mighty72 »

^^^ congrats!
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:22 pm Mortgage payoff!!! My balance is $0.00. :beer

I had originally setup my bank account to do an ACH transfer for the balance due. When I tried to execute the ACH transaction, I was very surprised to learn that banks put a limit on the ACH dollar amount (like $5,000 or so). It would take a number of days to payoff my balance. :shock:

So, a trip to the bank for a Wire transfer. The funds were transferred the same day ($20 wire transfer fee).

Customer support said I won't be getting my mortgage paperwork back, so I'll have to print out my own documents (I have a copy) in order to have a mortgage burning party. :)

(I'll be getting a "Paid in Full" letter and lien release over the next few weeks.)
Congratulations on paying off the mortgage :D .
carminered2019

Post by carminered2019 »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:22 pm Mortgage payoff!!! My balance is $0.00. :beer

Make sure you get you get your grant deed !!!!!!! congratulations
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ That's a new one for me. Grant deed? A google search shows me what that is, but do I need one? The state is PA.
BrownEyedGirl_27

Re: 1 Million Milestone

Post by BrownEyedGirl_27 »

Agent9 wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:01 pm Hi all. Long time member, infrequent poster. Wanted to share a milestone that my family hit, in large part thanks to this board's help. I've been checking our retirement accounts every few months or so and yesterday I noticed we crossed the 1 million threshold in our combined retirement accounts in December. This has always been a big goal for us when we started investing for retirement and we plan to celebrate it. Thanks again everyone and I hope you all keep up the great work!
:sharebeer

Historical: Started the investment journey approx 20 years ago. Joined Bogleheads.org on Feb 2010. 1M milestone on Dec 2019.
Congratulations! That is a huge achievement. How old are you? Someday hope to be able to say the same! :moneybag
"Your mind has a mind of its own. At the very moment when you are most convinced of your own rationality, you may be feeling rather than thinking your way toward a decision.” | Jason Zweig
ray.james

Post by ray.james »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:54 pm ^^^ That's a new one for me. Grant deed? A google search shows me what that is, but do I need one? The state is PA.
Grant is how the county records the new owner of the property. It will update in county records as transfer of deed from mortgage company to you.

Congratulations! My uncle chose a nice blood moon day for his mortgage burning party :happy
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939
BrownEyedGirl_27

Investing.Newbie wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:35 am
Stef wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:19 pm Also reducing my commute time from 1h 20min to 15min!
Congrats :D 15 minute commute is awesome... I have a 15 minute commute too... it's the best perk :sharebeer
Congrats! Having a tiny commute is a huge blessing...I used to drive for 1 h a day and I've cut it down to 6 min. Cutting down on driving every day gave back my sanity and lowered my anxiety. I used to listen to audio books in the car but since I don't drive much anymore (I bike to work when it's warm!) I am content with listening to silence. :D
"Your mind has a mind of its own. At the very moment when you are most convinced of your own rationality, you may be feeling rather than thinking your way toward a decision.” | Jason Zweig
BrownEyedGirl_27

Congrats LadyGeek! That is huge...Bet you're excited to invest/save all future money and not worry about your mortgage! :sharebeer
kacang

Post by kacang »

Fantastic achievement, congratulations!
kacang

Post by kacang »

jambadoc wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:32 am We hit the two comma club a couple of days ago (with home equity)! We started at -250K about 7.5 years ago at the end of residency. I just wanted to thank all of you who have been so helpful over the years with your insight and advice. I told my wife and her response was, "That's nice, honey." I think I married the right woman. We've currently got about 700K in investments, so our next milestone will probably be one million in investments and/or paying off the house (balance ~200K). Both should be done in the next 2-3 years.
Congratulations! Time to get the nice scotch yet?
depressed

Post by depressed »

Just hit the milestone of $1,345,269. Next goal: $2,178,309.
nepats

Post by nepats »

Congrats! It’s a great feeling. What’s the next milestone?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

depressed wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:25 pm Just hit the milestone of $1,345,269. Next goal: $2,178,309.
Shouldn't you wait until you hit $1,346,269? :wink: After $2,178,309, your next goal could be $3,524,578.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

nepats wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:17 pm Congrats! It’s a great feeling. What’s the next milestone?
I've got my eyes on Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2020!, but I want a few months to get things settled down. I'm still in the "What should I retire to?" phase. I'll post in the relevant threads as needed.
depressed

Post by depressed »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:30 pm
depressed wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:25 pm Just hit the milestone of $1,345,269. Next goal: $2,178,309.
Shouldn't you wait until you hit $1,346,269? :wink: After $2,178,309, your next goal could be $3,524,578.
Yes, you are quite right! In my zeal to share my landmark milestone, I mistyped. The balance did indeed reach $1,346,269 today, so my rabbits and I are now heading out to paint the town red!
Double Dog

Post by Double Dog »

I spent too long staring at these numbers trying to divine their significance. With a few of the leading digits transposed, I saw your current milestone as pi and your next goal as e.
HoleInTheAir

Post by HoleInTheAir »

We finally hit 2 x our gross income. Really wanted to make it before 30, and managed it at 27 (Him), 28 (Her).

$152K gross and it was $309K when I checked earlier.

On to 3 x and beyond!
student

Post by student »

Double Dog wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:10 pm
I spent too long staring at these numbers trying to divine their significance. With a few of the leading digits transposed, I saw your current milestone as pi and your next goal as e.
As pointed out above, there was a typo.
https://oeis.org/A000045/b000045.txt (line 31 and line 32)
depressed

Post by depressed »

I'm sure it would have popped out at you right away, had I not mistyped one of the digits in the first number. It should, of course, have been $1.346.269.
Financologist

Post by Financologist »

CyclingDuo wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:01 am Sort of tied in within a major financial milestone for us since we are a dual income household and have fortunately avoided the financial devastation a divorce can cause...

Married 30 years today! 30 years on the 30th!!!

Sounds like you have also avoided the financial devastation a marriage can cause... congrats
Financologist
carminered2019

Post by carminered2019 »

I wanted to retire at 60 with total NW of 4M but exceeded number at 50yo and just retired 5 months ago.
jambadoc

Post by jambadoc »

kacang wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:19 pm Congratulations! Time to get the nice scotch yet?
It's in the works, Haven't had a free evening yet. 🎉
CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo »

Financologist wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:39 pm
CyclingDuo wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:01 am Sort of tied in within a major financial milestone for us since we are a dual income household and have fortunately avoided the financial devastation a divorce can cause...

Married 30 years today! 30 years on the 30th!!!

Sounds like you have also avoided the financial devastation a marriage can cause... congrats
Yup, up to this point.

I think it is a given that being open, honest and on the same path financially is part of a successful marriage. We've certainly learned a lot from each other over the years when it comes to our finances through the act of discussion. Here's to staying on track and avoiding financial devastation due to marriage in the coming decades...

CyclingDuo
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel | "Pick a bushel, save a peck!" - Grandpa
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

student wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:25 pm As pointed out above, there was a typo.
depressed wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:28 pm
I'm sure it would have popped out at you right away, had I not mistyped one of the digits in the first number. It should, of course, have been $1.346.269.
Double Dog - Let me help you with that. It's a Fibonacci series.
mega317

Post by mega317 »

This week, looking into refinancing, I found out that our home value jumped quite a bit since I last looked. Add that to an unexpected bonus a few months ago and we've added a comma to at least one measure of net worth. I don't love net worth but it's something!
MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

LadyGeek wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:00 pm
student wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:25 pm As pointed out above, there was a typo.
depressed wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:28 pm
Double Dog - Let me help you with that. It's a Fibonacci series.
Yes, old money does not die out. By the way, why doesn't mine multiply like rabbits?
willthrill81

Our mortgage is GONE!

Post by willthrill81 »

[Thread merged into here, see below (next Page). --admin LadyGeek]

After working to aggressively pay down our mortgage for the last five years, we finally paid it off this morning. :D Yes, we would have come out ahead had we invested the funds in U.S. stocks, but we are very content with the guaranteed return we received (3.375%). We certainly did better than had we invested in the total bond market instead. And while my employment is very secure, our essential spending would now be covered 100% by unemployment benefits alone (which last six months).

We have a small auto loan (@ 2.74%) that we should knock out in two more months, and then we'll be investing over 50% of our gross household income via tax-advantaged accounts (401a, 401k, 457, HSA, and two Roth IRAs). If the markets are reasonably good, we hope to be financially independent by the time I'm 50-52.
The Sensible Steward
Jags4186

Re: Our mortgage is GONE!

Post by Jags4186 »

willthrill81 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:39 pm After working to aggressively pay down our mortgage for the last five years, we finally paid it off this morning. :D Yes, we would have come out ahead had we invested the funds in U.S. stocks, but we are very content with the guaranteed return we received (3.375%). We certainly did better than had we invested in the total bond market instead. And while my employment is very secure, our essential spending would now be covered 100% by unemployment benefits alone (which last six months).

We have a small auto loan (@ 2.74%) that we should knock out in two more months, and then we'll be investing over 50% of our gross household income via tax-advantaged accounts (401a, 401k, 457, HSA, and two Roth IRAs). If the markets are reasonably good, we hope to be financially independent by the time I'm 50-52.
Awesome work and very jealous! I’m in no rush to pay off the house because we aren’t in our “forever home” or at minimum our “very long time” home. I hope we’re in a position to hang up our boots by 52.
Silence Dogood

Post by Silence Dogood »

Congratulations, willthrill81! :happy

Take time to celebrate with your family!
Mountain Doc

Post by Mountain Doc »

Congratulations! That is quite a milestone and something to be celebrated.
RubyTuesday

Post by RubyTuesday »

Congrats!
“Doing nothing is better than being busy doing nothing.” – Lao Tzu