Volvo XC90 T8 2016-18

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ThreeFundPlay

Volvo XC90 T8 2016-18

Post by ThreeFundPlay »

In short, DW and I are expecting our first child this summer and we’ve been looking at 3rd row SUVs, as we have large dog that can’t ride in a vehicle without being crated (my wife’s CR-V is essentially a 3 seat car with the dog and the 3rd seat is usually is the only place to store things). We’re trying to keep gas mileage and environmental friendliness in mind, and so we’ve been drawn to the Volvo XC90 and have been intrigued by the plug-in hybrid T8 option, as it seems we could use the electric mode/battery only for most of our local trips, which is probably most of our driving. I’ve seen some used in the area of $35-40k with 30-40k miles. I’m curious if any other fellow BH have this vehicle and how it’s holding up, any major issues, etc. Also curious how the battery is holding up and what sort of range you get if you did the battery only mode after a few years. Thanks!
bloom2708

Re: Volvo XC90 T8 2016-18

Post by bloom2708 »

I would maybe think about it backwards.

Do you have a Volvo dealer close? Do you have a reputable independent shop that works on Volvos close? If you buy it out of warranty, it is going to need some work sooner or later.

I don't own a Volvo, but I've looked into them. I think you want to own them with a warranty. In my smallish area, small shops don't want to work on Volvos.

Someone was giving a Volvo SUV away with a blown head gasket in my area. Haul it away, it is yours. I called around to my 3 go to shops and asked them to quote replacing the head gasket. None would even quote it. Didn't want to do it. Maybe a bad example. This was a 2007 model with 120k miles.

If that is the car, perhaps a Certified used with an extended warranty or maybe new is the answer.

I know there are a bunch of Bogleheads who love their Volvos. Hopefully a few chime in.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
happytrades

Post by happytrades »

I have a 2016 xc90 t8 plug-in. have put about 40,000 miles on it. It is a very comfortable car to drive with tons of cool features. I have had it in a few times to fix minor electronic/software issues. Because it has a 100,000 mile warranty, there has not been and should not be any expensive repairs.

Volvo will come pick up the vehicle if you live a long way from the dealership.

the downside for me is that it has more road noise than I like. I have been told that this is because of the tires that came with it.

The 17 miles you are supposed to be able to drive before the gasoline motor kicks in is an over estimation. the only way I get that is if I don't run the AC. With the AC on, it is more like 12 miles.

The safety features are great. The ride is superb. After 40,000 miles I average 30 mpg.
anil686

Post by anil686 »

I have been looking for a CPO Volvo XC40 - I found that they now have a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty (starts from the in service date) - it can be extended - I think on the Edmunds forums - the price to extend to a 10 year unlimited from in service date was something like $3000. That being said - the CPOs were not priced too much less than buying new FWIW...
Topic Author
ThreeFundPlay

Post by ThreeFundPlay »

happytrades wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:15 pm I have a 2016 xc90 t8 plug-in. have put about 40,000 miles on it. It is a very comfortable car to drive with tons of cool features. I have had it in a few times to fix minor electronic/software issues. Because it has a 100,000 mile warranty, there has not been and should not be any expensive repairs.

the downside for me is that it has more road noise than I like. I have been told that this is because of the tires that came with it.

The 17 miles you are supposed to be able to drive before the gasoline motor kicks in is an over estimation. the only way I get that is if I don't run the AC. With the AC on, it is more like 12 miles.

The safety features are great. The ride is superb. After 40,000 miles I average 30 mpg.
Thanks for the insight! I’ve seen a couple come off lease in my area with around the same mileage, glad to hear that it’s held up well.
bloom2708 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:22 pm I would maybe think about it backwards.

Do you have a Volvo dealer close? Do you have a reputable independent shop that works on Volvos close? If you buy it out of warranty, it is going to need some work sooner or later.

I don't own a Volvo, but I've looked into them. I think you want to own them with a warranty. In my smallish area, small shops don't want to work on Volvos.

Someone was giving a Volvo SUV away with a blown head gasket in my area. Haul it away, it is yours. I called around to my 3 go to shops and asked them to quote replacing the head gasket. None would even quote it. Didn't want to do it. Maybe a bad example. This was a 2007 model with 120k miles.

If that is the car, perhaps a Certified used with an extended warranty or maybe new is the answer.

I know there are a bunch of Bogleheads who love their Volvos. Hopefully a few chime in.
All true. I do live close to a dealer and independent shop. I think the 2016 design was new, so hopefully none of the issues with something like a 2007 model. But great insights, thanks.
RootSki

Post by RootSki »

The T8 is great. You really will love it.

I’d stay away from the 2016’s MY. If possible look for a 2018 as Sensus (infotainment suite) got a processor update.

Do the OEM (Volvo) extended warranty (I did). 10 years/Unlimited mileage warranty.
RootSki

Post by RootSki »

anil686 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:29 pm I have been looking for a CPO Volvo XC40 - I found that they now have a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty (starts from the in service date) - it can be extended - I think on the Edmunds forums - the price to extend to a 10 year unlimited from in service date was something like $3000. That being said - the CPOs were not priced too much less than buying new FWIW...
The XC40 was a new model for 2019. Those few CPO XC40’s are dealer demos. Volvo can’t make the XC40 fast enough. It was only at the end of last year that they added a small discount to the XC40 through the A Plan pricing portal.
Topic Author
ThreeFundPlay

Post by ThreeFundPlay »

RootSki wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:15 am The T8 is great. You really will love it.

I’d stay away from the 2016’s MY. If possible look for a 2018 as Sensus (infotainment suite) got a processor update.

Do the OEM (Volvo) extended warranty (I did). 10 years/Unlimited mileage warranty.
Thanks for the info! Do you think that the Sensus update is worth the price premium? All the used 2018s I can find aren’t much of a discount off the new price (I’ve seen a couple around the 50k range) vs. around 35k or so for the 2016. And yes, I’m trying to find the certified pre-owned ones—looks like I can extend to the 10y warranty for those.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

happytrades wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:15 pm
YMMV. I don't think this is corporate policy.
RootSki

Post by RootSki »

ThreeFundPlay wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:08 am
RootSki wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:15 am The T8 is great. You really will love it.

Thanks for the info! Do you think that the Sensus update is worth the price premium? All the used 2018s I can find aren’t much of a discount off the new price (I’ve seen a couple around the 50k range) vs. around 35k or so for the 2016. And yes, I’m trying to find the certified pre-owned ones—looks like I can extend to the 10y warranty for those.
I can’t accurately describe how much faster the processor upgrade is. Volvo isn’t very forthcoming with actual details on that. I have a 2019 CPO. 10 years isn’t from when you buy it. It’s from the in service date of the car. So if it was in service on 1/23/17, the 10 year would expire on 1/23/27.
teCh0010

Post by teCh0010 »

I looked hard at the non hybrid 2016 XC90 T6. The new drivetrain and having a complex 2.0L super and turbo charged engine scared me off. Great interior and styling.

We ended up going with a Pilot EX-L. Simple drivetrain, 3.5L and 6 speed that has been around forever, but has the Honda Sensing tech we like, although Volvo ACC is better.
Skierajs

Post by Skierajs »

You’ll like it for sure. Some things to note: 2016 was the first year on this platform. 2018 MY got a slightly larger battery so you’ll get a bit further on pure mode (battery only). 2019 MY got a bigger gas tank in addition to the faster sensus processor (prior to 2019 the T8s had 13 gal tanks while 2019 got changed to the full 18 gal). 2020 MY got another battery update to go even further and a new braking system which is apparently much smoother. If you buy or lease new you can still get a tax credit for this model which I think is $5,002.
ohai

Post by ohai »

Volvo is a nice car, but don't convince yourself that any big luxury SUV is an environmentally conscious choice of vehicle; you'd get a Honda Fit or something instead.

XC90 seems to have poor reliability ratings, but I don't know how much this affects real life experience (most cars are more reliable now than before).
cowgs

Post by cowgs »

I purchased a used 2016 XC90 T8 Inscription a year ago with 33K miles on it. Car was loaded with about every option except child booster seat.

So far, it's been the most reliable enjoyable car my wife and I have ever owned. Zero need for any repairs. Average 48 MPG as most of our driving is around town. On all electric only I can get perhaps 16 miles if I drive it easy in "Pure" mode.

Main reason for purchase were safety features. My wife had spinal fusion with now limited neck movement and that has made her reluctant to drive on fast moving roads in heavy traffic has she can't check outside mirrors or look out side windows as quickly as she could before surgery. That was seven years ago.

The safety features of the Volvo are excellent and have given her confidence to be able to drive on highways again. In that respect the car has somewhat changed her life, as far as mobility is concerned. Specifically the rear view mirrors blind spot lights are way better than other manufactures that I've seen. Most cars that I've seen have dots in the mirrors for blind spot detection, the Volvo are big bar lights that get your attention. There are other safety detection systems on the car that are often helpful, too. Pilot Assist (Volvo version of a limit auto pilot) works extremely well on highways and well marked side streets.

Cheers
Craig
CascadiaSoonish

Post by CascadiaSoonish »

We own the 2016 XC90 T6, purchased new. No mechanical issues whatsoever, though we don't drive much. Ditto the previous observations about electronics -- it's definitely a first-year product on the software end. I'd suggest figuring out what your comfort level is with potential software issues and decide if extended warranty coverage or the prospect of out-of-pocket dealer service expenses would be acceptable.
Topic Author
ThreeFundPlay

Post by ThreeFundPlay »

Thanks for the responses all! Very helpful.
playtothebeat

Post by playtothebeat »

I’m intrigued by the XC90 a lot as well. Currently have a 2018 outback which has had four electrical issues in under 22k miles, so I’m somewhat discouraged.
Love the idea of the Volvo but maintenance cost on a luxury SUV scare me. We have a 5 series BMW as well and I imagine a Volvo SUV will be more costly to maintain..