New Refrigerator

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Leesbro63

New Refrigerator

Post by Leesbro63 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:21 am

I need to buy a new refrigerator. It’s been years since I’ve done so. I used to look in Consumer Reports, but I no longer subscribe. I need a basic refrigerator. Is there really any noticeable quality difference between brands? What would you buy in my situation?

chevca

Re: New Refrigerator

Post by chevca » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:28 am

For just a basic refrigerator, take your pick. They'll all be about the same for basic models. I like GE myself.

[Comment removed by moderator oldcomputerguy]

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:36 am

chevca wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:28 am
For just a basic refrigerator, take your pick. They'll all be about the same for basic models. I like GE myself..... :happy :wink:
Me too because they always break before the warranty expires. So I get them fixed for free, and they're always good from then on.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:40 am

chevca wrote:
For just a basic refrigerator, take your pick. They'll all be about the same for basic models. I like GE myself.
I tend to agree with this, with the additional comment that I avoid the Korean brands. This because of an uneasiness about the availability of parts, although this may just be unwarranted FUD.

I don't think online reviews are very reliable, unless they skew very strongly in one direction. And maybe not even then.

There are some things that really can be bought based on color, price, and availability.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:51 am

You really, really need to watch this short bit from Brian Regan on refrigerators: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUh1eGf57DY

From what I've heard, Samsung is about the best brand of refrigerators out there right now, but the price tag is too steep for us.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:52 am

chevca wrote:

Also, pick the right section of the forum for a fridge question next time. :happy :wink:
Oops. I apologize for my error. Yeah. Maybe the moderators can move this to the Consumer place. Sorry 😐

oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:55 am

This topic is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:25 pm

cheese_breath wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:36 am
chevca wrote:
For just a basic refrigerator, take your pick. They'll all be about the same for basic models. I like GE myself..... :happy :wink:
Me too because they always break before the warranty expires. So I get them fixed for free, and they're always good from then on.
I have a GE refrigerator (5 years old now). Recently, the fresh food fan went out and a local appliance repair firm fixed it with a genuine GE part.

After doing online research, I discovered there was a technical service bulletin out on this part which I didn't know about (defective). I contacted GE customer service who decided to refund $60 of the total repair bill. I wish they would have refunded more but since it was out of warranty, I was happy with something.

Since the repair, it's been working great.

I also have other GE appliances including a washer/dryer set that is 16 years old. :happy

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:45 pm

Examine the warranties closely. Then, buy the one you want, using a credit card like the Costco Visa, which adds 2 years.

If you buy the refrigerator from Costco, it will have a 4 year warranty (including those 2 years).
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

Watty

Post by Watty » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:51 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:21 am
I need a basic refrigerator.
Ice Makers and in the door water dispenses seem cause a lot of problems with refrigerators. You may want consider getting one without those.

RickBoglehead wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:45 pm
Examine the warranties closely. Then, buy the one you want, using a credit card like the Costco Visa, which adds 2 years.

If you buy the refrigerator from Costco, it will have a 4 year warranty (including those 2 years).
+1

Costco may also include free delivery and some attachments that may be need to hook an appliance up. With a dryer I bought it included the electric cord and vent tube which would have been around $50 extra at other places.

froman118

Post by froman118 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:46 pm

I did a lot of research on fridges last year before buying from Costco for the extended warranty.

LG and Samsung seem to have the worst availability of parts and service. I've written them off for all appliances.

Whirlpool and GE seem to be in the middle of the pack, but with better odds of repair. Whirlpool is still making units in USA and think GE move to Mexico completely.

I wanted stainless, french door, freezer bottom, counter depth, internal water dispenser and internal ice maker (to minimize potential repairs/issues and maximize fridge space with the counter depth) which left me with one Whirlpool model and one Samsung model. I bought the Whirlpool and going on one year with no problems.

I was being picky in the $1500-2000 price range. In the $600-1000 range I'd expect to replace the unit if anything major happened and just hope to get 4-5 years out of it.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:22 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:21 am
I need to buy a new refrigerator. It’s been years since I’ve done so. I used to look in Consumer Reports, but I no longer subscribe. I need a basic refrigerator. Is there really any noticeable quality difference between brands? What would you buy in my situation?
Best person to ask that question is to call up your local appliance repairman and ask him which brands he recommends or doesn't. In our area, it is impossible to get parts for an LG or Samsung without a six month wait. I know this from personal experience unfortunately. I don't care how nice their refrigerators are, I will never buy another one for that reason alone.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:54 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:51 am
You really, really need to watch this short bit from Brian Regan on refrigerators: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUh1eGf57DY

From what I've heard, Samsung is about the best brand of refrigerators out there right now, but the price tag is too steep for us.
For our kitchen remodel last year we went with Samsung. At that moment in time CR gave the refrigerator we selected thumbs up.

We paid about $4300-$4400 (pre-rebate) or so for the entire kitchen appliances set (refrigerator, dishwasher, range, and microwave). But, we received a floor bot from Samsung, plus another 10% mail-in rebate. I bought the set on Black Friday of 2018, and the appliance chain, Famous Tate, held them until the kitchen was ready to receive them in February of 2019. One upgrade was a dual oven, giving DW two ovens to not use. :D

The GC for the remodel installed all appliances for us, hauled away everything except the old GE refrigerator they put in the garage. GC did have to run an extra circuit due to new codes, but no extra charge.

We have stainless steel, French doors, counter depth. This far we love them. The dishwasher technology is such that it is virtually silent when running. Our old GE was noisy as all get out, but all the GE appliances we replaced were bullet-proof. The old refrigerator replaced a rusty, but still functional garage refrigerator. My beer is nice and cold, no idea how long the old one will last, but it works for now.

Interestingly, the water from the Samsung refrigerator has a better taste, no idea why, but I'll take it.

I thought all in all the prices were good. I guess we will just have to wait and see how dependable the Samsung stuff turns out to be.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:33 pm

l wrote this thread last October about my experience with an LG fridge, viewtopic.php?f=11&t=292034&hilit=refrigerator
It took 2 days short of a month to have a repair person look at it after it failing in just a few months. When you buy one, ask where the repair persons are located
Just because it isn't your fault doesn't mean it isn't your responsibility....Josh Reid Jones

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:53 pm

A neighbor had one of those whole house appliances repair deals. Their refrigerator couldn't be repaired, so, they did get a new one, after waiting nearly two months. A big ripoff, with all the stalling tactics the warrantee company subjected them to.

At least my old GE refrigerator in the garage can be pressed into service again, but we would have to remove all the beer first. Family members would be glad to drink some for us. :sharebeer

Our appliance repair guy has taken care of all our appliances for many years, so I'm confident he can keep things running. He has repaired our LG laundry units a couple of times over the years. He has never had any issues getting parts, thus far.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:39 pm

I don't know exactly what a "basic" fridge is. I mean full size fridges can be had for $300 up to 5 figures. I have a Samsung side by side that was around $1700 and it has been great for 5+ years. It is counter depth but still large. Nothing freezes in any part of the fridge. Most of my prior fridges did....even the better ones like KitchenAid. If you want the most basic top/bottom fridge I doubt it matters much which brand you choose.

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:13 am

Keep in mind that the GE appliance division was purchased by Qingdao Haier Co., a Shanghai Chinese company in 2016. This is not your father's GE.

noco-hawkeye

Post by noco-hawkeye » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:30 am

We had an LG with 3 issues within 3 years. The first one was covered by a credit card extended warranty, the second time I fixed myself, and the 3rd time I knew it was time for the fridge to go.

Shopping for the new one we shopped in person at the local stores to see them, and then used costco with their credit card for extended warranty (4 years).

I think fridges anymore have a lot of issues, and they are almost cheaper to replace than to fix in a lot of cases. The other thing is try to avoid a fridge with a lot of crazy new features you don't need. For example, if you have two ice makers - it is more likely an ice maker is going to break on you now. Adding a crazy new door feature???? Yep, thats something else that will likely break too. Keep it simple, and avoid buying features that are just one more thing to break on you.

The article might also be of interest - https://blog.puls.com/appliance-repair-report . Buy maytag / whirpool / frigidaire according to them (all built by the same company I believe).

Swansea

Post by Swansea » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:50 am

I have a 5 year old GE model...works ok, but too loud when running.

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:52 am

Yale Appliances sells zillions of appliances and tracks repairs. They find Whirlpool, LG and Samsung break the least.

https://blog.yaleappliance.com/bid/8633 ... nce-brands

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:56 am

Brands are somewhat meaningless. This years kenmore elite is last years L.G. rebadged.

I just bought from Costco. You get 2 year warranty from Costco, paid $79 for 3 year extended warranty (by far cheapest extended warranty vs Best Buy/Sears) and then a further 2 year warranty by purchasing with Costco visa.

spitty

Post by spitty » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:47 am

We bought a GE Profile several years ago with extended warranty. Couple years in the ice maker went out and they quickly replaced it. Just after 5 years (6 months past warranty) the compressor died and of course they they wouldn't comp the repair. We replaced it with this one and it's been perfect 5 years so far. No fancy dispensers, we have to open the freezer to scoop out ice. Very 20th century, lol!

Tamarind

Post by Tamarind » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:39 am

Despite the write-off above, I have an LG fridge which is still doing great. But I wanted a very specific thing (small, less expensive, counter-depth, no French doors, bottom freezer, no ice/water) and they had the best deal.

Cubicle

Post by Cubicle » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:19 am

I have an LG fridge that happens to be rated very highly by multiple review sites, & has a specific look I wanted. No issues with it.

My only advice is from an outlet center. I've also had pretty good luck from "scratch & dent" retailers. The savings have been worth the higher risk so far.