U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
User avatar
mrspock
Posts: 598
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:49 am
Location: Vulcan

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by mrspock » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:53 pm

Any day our portfolios do so well we feel like dopes for going to work that morning.... is a good day. :greedy

your IPS
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:00 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by your IPS » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:58 pm

Please don't forget me in these heady times.
Always do what your IPS says.

User avatar
Mactheriverrat
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:41 pm
Location: Works on the Mississippi River on the barges. Live's in Little Rock, AR.

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Mactheriverrat » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:18 pm

corn18 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:11 pm
Mactheriverrat wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:31 pm
I'll leave this alone until the Unemployment rate make's a crossover on this chart. Plus I will start a new thread then. Its only then we can tell what is really trend following. The markets are in a very Bullish mood.
Image

Link to above chart.
https://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=$$UNE ... &listNum=1
It crossed at the end of 2018.
Yes but the ma12 didn't change downward trend.
Everything evolves. | May Every Sunrise Bring You Hope. May Every Sunset Bring you Peace.

User avatar
Stinky
Posts: 2865
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:38 am
Location: Sweet Home Alabama

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Stinky » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:15 pm

Record highs now on S&P and Nasdaq. Earlier losses have been reversed.

Soaring again!
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

User avatar
Stef
Posts: 363
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:13 am

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Stef » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:17 pm

Even SCV is coming back :mrgreen:

User avatar
305pelusa
Posts: 1330
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:20 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by 305pelusa » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:18 pm

your IPS wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:58 pm
Please don't forget me in these heady times.
Lmfao

User avatar
Stinky
Posts: 2865
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:38 am
Location: Sweet Home Alabama

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Stinky » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:16 pm

Stinky wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:15 pm
Record highs now on S&P and Nasdaq. Earlier losses have been reversed.

Soaring again!
Excitement was short-lived. Markets were down for the day.

Oh well.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

User avatar
Bluce
Posts: 477
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 11:01 pm
Location: Finger Lakes, NYS

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Bluce » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:37 pm

Stinky = as fickle as the wind! 8-)

User avatar
mrspock
Posts: 598
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:49 am
Location: Vulcan

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by mrspock » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:30 pm

Stinky wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:16 pm
Stinky wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:15 pm
Record highs now on S&P and Nasdaq. Earlier losses have been reversed.

Soaring again!
Excitement was short-lived. Markets were down for the day.

Oh well.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I’ll watch Cramer tonight, I’m sure he’ll say something like “we are just finding a new bottom” or “we are consolidating at this level” — and then hit the “moooo” button.

User avatar
dogagility
Posts: 774
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:41 am

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by dogagility » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:45 pm

your IPS wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:58 pm
Please don't forget me in these heady times.
All you need is a heavy equity allocation! :sharebeer
"The stock market is a device for transferring money from the impatient to the patient" -- Warren Buffett

User avatar
whodidntante
Posts: 7143
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:11 pm
Location: outside the echo chamber

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by whodidntante » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:25 pm

dogagility wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:45 pm
your IPS wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:58 pm
Please don't forget me in these heady times.
All you need is a heavy equity allocation! :sharebeer
The line is all you need is love. But a heavy equity allocation will let you afford it. :happy

Lee_WSP
Posts: 1411
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:15 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Lee_WSP » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:21 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:25 pm
dogagility wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:45 pm
your IPS wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:58 pm
Please don't forget me in these heady times.
All you need is a heavy equity allocation! :sharebeer
The line is all you need is love. But a heavy equity allocation will let you afford it. :happy
:beer True.

User avatar
Stinky
Posts: 2865
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:38 am
Location: Sweet Home Alabama

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Stinky » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:52 am

S&P and Nasdaq are up nicely this morning. Not too far from record highs.

Hopefully, today’s geopolitical events won’t spook Mr. Market too much.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

User avatar
TheTimeLord
Posts: 6466
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by TheTimeLord » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:55 am

Stinky wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:52 am
S&P and Nasdaq are up nicely this morning. Not too far from record highs.

Hopefully, today’s geopolitical events won’t spook Mr. Market too much.
With any luck the market will surge forward and hit my next melt up sell order. Go Team!
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

User avatar
hisdudeness
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:26 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by hisdudeness » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:44 am

What's up with ex US today? It's lagging worse than usual, actually in the red.

User avatar
willthrill81
Posts: 15207
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:17 pm
Location: USA

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by willthrill81 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:30 am

hisdudeness wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:44 am
What's up with ex US today? It's lagging worse than usual, actually in the red.
That's all too often been the case for the last 30 years.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

User avatar
AnalogKid22
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 8:26 pm
Location: Babylon, but I'd love to spend a night in Zion

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by AnalogKid22 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:32 am

2020 is off to a great start...

Lee_WSP
Posts: 1411
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:15 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Lee_WSP » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:38 am

willthrill81 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:30 am
hisdudeness wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:44 am
What's up with ex US today? It's lagging worse than usual, actually in the red.
That's all too often been the case for the last 30 years.
I consider ex-US to be a slightly correlated asset with awful volatility & about the same expected return as long bonds during periods of low to moderate inflation.

3300!!!!! It's so close! I'm getting vertigo again! :shock: :shock: :shock:

User avatar
whodidntante
Posts: 7143
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:11 pm
Location: outside the echo chamber

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by whodidntante » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:39 am

hisdudeness wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:44 am
What's up with ex US today? It's lagging worse than usual, actually in the red.
You bought ex-USA equities with money you could have put towards soaring American equities? :shock:

I kid, I kid. :sharebeer

Schlabba
Posts: 258
Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 9:14 am

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Schlabba » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:47 am

hisdudeness wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:44 am
What's up with ex US today? It's lagging worse than usual, actually in the red.
Maybe it has to do with our ‘green deal’ that just passed through european parlement?

I certainly see that as a bad thing for expected return.
IWDA: MSCI World | EMIM: MSCI Emerging Markets | AGGH: Global Aggregate Bond Hedged to €

pepys
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:34 am

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by pepys » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:54 am

Schlabba wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:47 am
hisdudeness wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:44 am
What's up with ex US today? It's lagging worse than usual, actually in the red.
Maybe it has to do with our ‘green deal’ that just passed through european parlement?

I certainly see that as a bad thing for expected return.
Europe actually seems up though (based on VGK). Japan (based on EWJ) and emerging markets especially (based on VWO) seem to be dragging it down.
"Give me enough leverage and a fund on which to place it, and I shall move the world"

User avatar
hisdudeness
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:26 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by hisdudeness » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:01 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:39 am
hisdudeness wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:44 am
What's up with ex US today? It's lagging worse than usual, actually in the red.
You bought ex-USA equities with money you could have put towards soaring American equities? :shock:

I kid, I kid. :sharebeer
No, I haven't bought anything except bonds lately, because..... US STOCKS CONTINUE TO SOAR!

User avatar
TheTimeLord
Posts: 6466
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by TheTimeLord » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:17 pm

TheTimeLord wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:55 am
Stinky wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:52 am
S&P and Nasdaq are up nicely this morning. Not too far from record highs.

Hopefully, today’s geopolitical events won’t spook Mr. Market too much.
With any luck the market will surge forward and hit my next melt up sell order. Go Team!
Update: Melt Up Sell Order triggered :moneybag :moneybag :moneybag :moneybag :moneybag . That is the third of ten :beer . It is a good day :sharebeer .
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

User avatar
Bluce
Posts: 477
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 11:01 pm
Location: Finger Lakes, NYS

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Bluce » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:48 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:30 am
hisdudeness wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:44 am
What's up with ex US today? It's lagging worse than usual, actually in the red.
That's all too often been the case for the last 30 years.
Despite reasonable arguments for both sides, I got out of int'l stocks last year -- after holding them for probably 25 years.

Of course, I will never know if it was a good move or not until I see it in the rear view mirror ten years from now -- assuming I live that long. :?

TheDDC
Posts: 588
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:11 am

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by TheDDC » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:53 pm

Bluce wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:48 pm
willthrill81 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:30 am
hisdudeness wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:44 am
What's up with ex US today? It's lagging worse than usual, actually in the red.
That's all too often been the case for the last 30 years.
Despite reasonable arguments for both sides, I got out of int'l stocks last year -- after holding them for probably 25 years.

Of course, I will never know if it was a good move or not until I see it in the rear view mirror ten years from now -- assuming I live that long. :?
At the very least VTIAX would offer a very good TLH option for a portfolio. We should all be able to agree on that. :beer

-TheDDC
Refreshingly, a double barrel shotgun blast of truth... | Rules to wealth building: 100% VTSAX piled high and deep, 0% given away to banks, minimize amount given to health care industrial complex

Admiral
Posts: 2618
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:35 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Admiral » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:01 pm

TheDDC wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:53 pm
Bluce wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:48 pm
willthrill81 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:30 am
hisdudeness wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:44 am
What's up with ex US today? It's lagging worse than usual, actually in the red.
That's all too often been the case for the last 30 years.
Despite reasonable arguments for both sides, I got out of int'l stocks last year -- after holding them for probably 25 years.

Of course, I will never know if it was a good move or not until I see it in the rear view mirror ten years from now -- assuming I live that long. :?
At the very least VTIAX would offer a very good TLH option for a portfolio. We should all be able to agree on that. :beer

-TheDDC
VTIAX was up more than 21% last year, so I'm not so sure I agree.

User avatar
Bluce
Posts: 477
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 11:01 pm
Location: Finger Lakes, NYS

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Bluce » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:02 pm

TheDDC wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:53 pm
Bluce wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:48 pm
willthrill81 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:30 am
hisdudeness wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:44 am
What's up with ex US today? It's lagging worse than usual, actually in the red.
That's all too often been the case for the last 30 years.
Despite reasonable arguments for both sides, I got out of int'l stocks last year -- after holding them for probably 25 years.

Of course, I will never know if it was a good move or not until I see it in the rear view mirror ten years from now -- assuming I live that long. :?
At the very least VTIAX would offer a very good TLH option for a portfolio. We should all be able to agree on that. :beer

-TheDDC
My int'l holdings were all within my SEP-IRA, which is about 78% of my PF total.

User avatar
TheTimeLord
Posts: 6466
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by TheTimeLord » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:28 pm

TheTimeLord wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:17 pm
TheTimeLord wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:55 am
Stinky wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:52 am
S&P and Nasdaq are up nicely this morning. Not too far from record highs.

Hopefully, today’s geopolitical events won’t spook Mr. Market too much.
With any luck the market will surge forward and hit my next melt up sell order. Go Team!
Update: Melt Up Sell Order triggered :moneybag :moneybag :moneybag :moneybag :moneybag . That is the third of ten :beer . It is a good day :sharebeer .
Lately it feels like everyday a little virtual truck drives onto my desk and drops off a pile of virtual $100 bills. Then periodically I convert them into actual $100 bills. I kinda like it. :D
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

GoldenFinch
Posts: 2007
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:34 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by GoldenFinch » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:03 pm

TheTimeLord wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:28 pm
TheTimeLord wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:17 pm
TheTimeLord wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:55 am
Stinky wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:52 am
S&P and Nasdaq are up nicely this morning. Not too far from record highs.

Hopefully, today’s geopolitical events won’t spook Mr. Market too much.
With any luck the market will surge forward and hit my next melt up sell order. Go Team!
Update: Melt Up Sell Order triggered :moneybag :moneybag :moneybag :moneybag :moneybag . That is the third of ten :beer . It is a good day :sharebeer .
Lately it feels like everyday a little virtual truck drives onto my desk and drops off a pile of virtual $100 bills. Then periodically I convert them into actual $100 bills. I kinda like it. :D
TimeLord, I am am glad you got over being tired of the stock market going up! I thought that thread was kind of funny. I hope that your enthusiasm now is not a contrary indicator. :happy Since you are the TheTime Lord, maybe it’s safe to assume that you know something we don’t! I’ll just go with that idea and stay positive (and not tired).

User avatar
TheTimeLord
Posts: 6466
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by TheTimeLord » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:09 pm

GoldenFinch wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:03 pm
TheTimeLord wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:28 pm
TheTimeLord wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:17 pm
TheTimeLord wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:55 am
Stinky wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:52 am
S&P and Nasdaq are up nicely this morning. Not too far from record highs.

Hopefully, today’s geopolitical events won’t spook Mr. Market too much.
With any luck the market will surge forward and hit my next melt up sell order. Go Team!
Update: Melt Up Sell Order triggered :moneybag :moneybag :moneybag :moneybag :moneybag . That is the third of ten :beer . It is a good day :sharebeer .
Lately it feels like everyday a little virtual truck drives onto my desk and drops off a pile of virtual $100 bills. Then periodically I convert them into actual $100 bills. I kinda like it. :D
TimeLord, I am am glad you got over being tired of the stock market going up! I thought that thread was kind of funny. I hope that your enthusiasm now is not a contrary indicator. :happy Since you are the TheTime Lord, maybe it’s safe to assume that you know something we don’t! I’ll just go with that idea and stay positive (and not tired).
Enthusiasm may be an over statement. I am basically keeping the dollar amount I have invested in equities steady by selling a little every time the market goes up by a set percentage. I think this is fine for me because I have enough and I am approaching it from that perspective. Things might be different if I was still in the accumulation phase.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

User avatar
Stinky
Posts: 2865
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:38 am
Location: Sweet Home Alabama

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Stinky » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:18 pm

Stinky wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:52 am
S&P and Nasdaq are up nicely this morning. Not too far from record highs.

Hopefully, today’s geopolitical events won’t spook Mr. Market too much.
Record high close today for S&P. Nasdaq up, but not quite a record.

Woo Hoo!!
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

User avatar
Stinky
Posts: 2865
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:38 am
Location: Sweet Home Alabama

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Stinky » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:34 am

Don’t look now -

But futures are SOARING again overnight.

S&P 3,300 is definitely in sight. And the bull marches on.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

CurlyDave
Posts: 1448
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:37 am

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by CurlyDave » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:30 am

Stinky wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:34 am
Don’t look now -

But futures are SOARING again overnight.

S&P 3,300 is definitely in sight. And the bull marches on.
My bet is that S&P opens over 3300. After that, who knows?

thelateinvestor43
Posts: 402
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:02 am
Location: Westbrook, Maine

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by thelateinvestor43 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:36 am

Morgan Stanley says the S&P is only gonna return 2.8% this year I guess. :(

User avatar
mrspock
Posts: 598
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:49 am
Location: Vulcan

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by mrspock » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:38 am

Nice start to the morning... above 3300!

User avatar
TheTimeLord
Posts: 6466
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by TheTimeLord » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:38 am

thelateinvestor43 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:36 am
Morgan Stanley says the S&P is only gonna return 2.8% this year I guess. :(
Who knows they could be right. See 2018 price action.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

User avatar
Bluce
Posts: 477
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 11:01 pm
Location: Finger Lakes, NYS

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Bluce » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:39 am

thelateinvestor43 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:36 am
Morgan Stanley says the S&P is only gonna return 2.8% this year I guess. :(
They got their crystal ball working????? Last I knew they were waiting for parts from China. :confused

User avatar
ReformedSpender
Posts: 416
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:24 pm
Location: Stone's Throw from Vanguard

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by ReformedSpender » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:39 am

The S&P 500 just opened above 3,300. The index first closed above 330 on August 11, 1987. It first closed above 33 on Nov 8, 1954.

So roughly 10-fold every 33 years and change. Stay the course.
:beer
Market history shows that when there's economic blue sky, future returns are low, and when the economy is on the skids, future returns are high. The best fishing is done in the most stormy waters.

rhoms33
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:27 am

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by rhoms33 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:44 am

thelateinvestor43 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:36 am
Morgan Stanley says the S&P is only gonna return 2.8% this year I guess. :(
Back in April 2019 Morgan Stanley said the "breakout" above 3000 wouldn't last and that the S&P should trade between 2400-3000... yet here we are at 3300.

User avatar
willthrill81
Posts: 15207
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:17 pm
Location: USA

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by willthrill81 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:45 am

ReformedSpender wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:39 am
The S&P 500 just opened above 3,300. The index first closed above 330 on August 11, 1987. It first closed above 33 on Nov 8, 1954.

So roughly 10-fold every 33 years and change. Stay the course.
:beer
Wow! I'd never thought about stocks increasing ten-fold every 33 years. That level of growth seems phenomenal.

It looks like another great day is in store! So much for all the 'experts' predicting that stocks had run out of gas. :mrgreen:
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

thelateinvestor43
Posts: 402
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:02 am
Location: Westbrook, Maine

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by thelateinvestor43 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:45 am

Don't get excited until its 3:50PM and over 3300! A LOT can happen throughout the day!

User avatar
willthrill81
Posts: 15207
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:17 pm
Location: USA

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by willthrill81 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:46 am

thelateinvestor43 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:45 am
Don't get excited until its 3:50PM and over 3300! A LOT can happen throughout the day!
Yeah, they can go even higher! 8-)
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

thelateinvestor43
Posts: 402
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:02 am
Location: Westbrook, Maine

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by thelateinvestor43 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:46 am

Maybe I should change my AA back to 100%!! :moneybag :oops:

User avatar
Stef
Posts: 363
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:13 am

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Stef » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:48 am

willthrill81 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:45 am
ReformedSpender wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:39 am
The S&P 500 just opened above 3,300. The index first closed above 330 on August 11, 1987. It first closed above 33 on Nov 8, 1954.

So roughly 10-fold every 33 years and change. Stay the course.
:beer
Wow! I'd never thought about stocks increasing ten-fold every 33 years. That level of growth seems phenomenal.

It looks like another great day is in store! So much for all the 'experts' predicting that stocks had run out of gas. :mrgreen:
Without dividends. Total return should be around factor 22.

User avatar
willthrill81
Posts: 15207
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:17 pm
Location: USA

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by willthrill81 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:48 am

Stef wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:48 am
willthrill81 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:45 am
ReformedSpender wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:39 am
The S&P 500 just opened above 3,300. The index first closed above 330 on August 11, 1987. It first closed above 33 on Nov 8, 1954.

So roughly 10-fold every 33 years and change. Stay the course.
:beer
Wow! I'd never thought about stocks increasing ten-fold every 33 years. That level of growth seems phenomenal.

It looks like another great day is in store! So much for all the 'experts' predicting that stocks had run out of gas. :mrgreen:
Without dividends. Total return should be around factor 22.
That's true. Wow, just wow.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

User avatar
TheTimeLord
Posts: 6466
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by TheTimeLord » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:50 am

thelateinvestor43 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:46 am
Maybe I should change my AA back to 100%!! :moneybag :oops:
Maybe I should be considering a AA change also. Thanks for the tip.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

B. Wellington
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:10 am

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by B. Wellington » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:55 am

willthrill81 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:48 am
Stef wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:48 am
willthrill81 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:45 am
ReformedSpender wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:39 am
The S&P 500 just opened above 3,300. The index first closed above 330 on August 11, 1987. It first closed above 33 on Nov 8, 1954.

So roughly 10-fold every 33 years and change. Stay the course.
:beer
Wow! I'd never thought about stocks increasing ten-fold every 33 years. That level of growth seems phenomenal.

It looks like another great day is in store! So much for all the 'experts' predicting that stocks had run out of gas. :mrgreen:
Without dividends. Total return should be around factor 22.
That's true. Wow, just wow.
Will, I cant't tell you how many articles, blogs, etc. by those "experts" calling for the end of the bull run. "Bubbles" everywhere and so on. Someday they maybe right. But that was 1000's of points ago (DOW).

I confess, my crystal ball was just as cloudy. Today, I'm just riding the Bull and trying hard not to do anything silly. (Retirement) number is very, very, close.

User avatar
willthrill81
Posts: 15207
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:17 pm
Location: USA

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by willthrill81 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:58 am

B. Wellington wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:55 am
willthrill81 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:48 am
Stef wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:48 am
willthrill81 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:45 am
ReformedSpender wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:39 am
The S&P 500 just opened above 3,300. The index first closed above 330 on August 11, 1987. It first closed above 33 on Nov 8, 1954.

So roughly 10-fold every 33 years and change. Stay the course.
:beer
Wow! I'd never thought about stocks increasing ten-fold every 33 years. That level of growth seems phenomenal.

It looks like another great day is in store! So much for all the 'experts' predicting that stocks had run out of gas. :mrgreen:
Without dividends. Total return should be around factor 22.
That's true. Wow, just wow.
Will, I cant't tell you how many articles, blogs, etc. by those "experts" calling for the end of the bull run. "Bubbles" everywhere and so on. Someday they maybe right. But that was 1000's of points ago (DOW).

I confess, my crystal ball was just as cloudy. Today, I'm just riding the Bull and trying hard not to do anything silly. (Retirement) number is very, very, close.
When you reach your number, will you shift to a more conservative AA?
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

User avatar
JoMoney
Posts: 8205
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:31 am

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by JoMoney » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:00 am

willthrill81 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:48 am
Stef wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:48 am
willthrill81 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:45 am
ReformedSpender wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:39 am
The S&P 500 just opened above 3,300. The index first closed above 330 on August 11, 1987. It first closed above 33 on Nov 8, 1954.

So roughly 10-fold every 33 years and change. Stay the course.
:beer
Wow! I'd never thought about stocks increasing ten-fold every 33 years. That level of growth seems phenomenal.

It looks like another great day is in store! So much for all the 'experts' predicting that stocks had run out of gas. :mrgreen:
Without dividends. Total return should be around factor 22.
That's true. Wow, just wow.
Given the average annualized real inflation adjusted total return has been something close to 7% (according to Prof. Jeremy Siegel and his infamous chart back to the 19th century), one could imagine the real value as doubling every 10 years.
1987-1997 $10,000 goes to $20,000
1997-2007 $20,000 goes to $40,000
2007-2017 $40,000 goes to $80,000
Image


2017-2027 ? ...From that specific starting point, we're a little ahead of the game these first 3 years in.
Last edited by JoMoney on Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

User avatar
Bluce
Posts: 477
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 11:01 pm
Location: Finger Lakes, NYS

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Bluce » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:01 am

We're in a New Era! This time it's different! 8-) :moneybag

Stocks will only go up from now on. Trust me on this. :shock: 8-)

I'm loading up on tulip light bulb futures. :sharebeer

Post Reply