Subaru Starlink Safety Plus Subscription Discount Code

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
A440

Subaru Starlink Safety Plus Subscription Discount Code

Post by A440 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:48 am

I actually used my Subaru Starlink "blue button" (roadside assistance) to get my battery jumped after leaving on the radio (and perhaps blower by mistake) too long while I was detailing our cars :oops:

Our subscription was free for three years when we purchased the Outback and is ending soon. I found a 50% off discount code good for their Safety Plus Subscription: STARLINK9, in case anyone is interested.

The cost with the discount ($75) is probably more than AAA, but with a teen driving soon, I like knowing I can track the vehicle, have the ability call using the red SOS button in an emergency and the blue button for roadside assistance. I also like knowing we are contacted if an accident is detected.

We don't get much of an insurance discount with the Vehicle Recovery/Tracking feature, but perhaps it will benefit some of you more?
I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future.

FRANK2009

Re: Subaru Starlink Safety Plus Subscription Discount Code

Post by FRANK2009 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:13 am

Thank You A440. My subscription ends in October for my Forester. Thought the code wouldn't work for me but it did! Saved $75! You made my day!

naturalgal

Post by naturalgal » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:57 pm

Thank you! I just saved $75 on my subscription

Topic Author
A440

Post by A440 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:05 am

I just renewed again today with the same promo code STARLINK9. Saved 50% off 1 year subscription!

CharlieMSU

Post by CharlieMSU » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:54 am

Man, no luck here. Got a Subaru 2 weeks ago, got prompted today to sign up for the subscription. The code didn't work for me. :(

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:04 pm

What a coincidence that someone would post this topic. I recently posted a thread asking for suggestions for an alternative to the Subaru Outback that DW had intended to purchase in the immediate future. In that thread I did not go into detail about the reason for our dissatisfaction with the Outback as we had really liked the 2016 Outback she bought new and gifted to DS recently. At least we did right up to the moment that we didn't. That thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=290693

We recently had occasion to try to use the Starlink system to locate the Outback in a genuine life-and-death emergency. To make a long story short (kind of), the Vehicle Locator function generated only error messages that the system was unavailable. Yet only a couple of days previously we had received notification that the tire pressure warning light was on. Phone support was less than helpful. Support indicated that they had an additional ability to locate the vehicle but would only do so with a court order, Case # for a Missing or Endangered Person, or a subpoena. We had none of those and it was a time-critical situation. The emergency was eventually resolved, but it undoubtedly would have been resolved much faster with help from Subaru or a properly functioning Vehicle Locator on the Starlink system. I received no plausible explanation from Subaru phone support as to why the Vehicle Locator was not functioning. A week ago I wrote an email to the CEO of Subaru of America detailing our ordeal and resulting dissatisfaction and informing him that we would be buying no more Subaru vehicles. I have yet to receive a reply.

I would not presume to dissuade anybody else from purchasing a Subaru because of this. As I wrote above, we loved the vehicle and intended to buy a 2020 when they arrived. It is entirely possible that all locator systems have the same limitations. However, if any future vehicles I am considering purchasing have a system that purports to be able to locate the vehicle, I will certainly attempt to test it rather than simply accepting their advertising blather. I guess that suddenly finding out that it doesn't function as represented when you most need it and worrying whether you will ever see your kid (and a couple of his friends) alive again will have that affect on some people. I know it has on DW and me.

It probably goes without saying that I would test the locator function prior to renewing my Starlink subscription. We won't be renewing the one on our 2016 when it expires. Maybe we can honk the horn and turn on the lights remotely for a while longer--assuming those functions operate correctly.

Topic Author
A440

Post by A440 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:57 pm

Locator worked for me today. Peace of mind to know where your teen is when they take the subie. :happy
Or at least where your car is. A parent can track your teen's phone, unless it is turned off. The subie can be tracked even when turned off.
Sorry the code above didn't work.

beyou

Post by beyou » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:59 pm

While I love my Subarus (have owned 4 over time), I have found that they (and some other Japanese manufacturers) have a very different way of doing business than American manufacturers. While they do emphasize quality, when they fail to deliver it, they simply will not admit to it, will not respond and will not try to fix it. 2 of my 4 Subarus had problems that were NEVER resolved, after multiple trips to the dealer, escalations to SOA. Not Starlink for me, one was a minor inconvenience, the other related to the engine stalling frequently, even while driving at highway speeds.

This is just another example, Japanese companies are simply unwilling to admit they produced anything other than perfection.
I had the same experience as a corp buyer, ended up with Xerox products over Canon/Ricoh due to over the top effort by Xerox to solve an issue that Canon/Ricoh couldn't be bothered to even respond to. Different way of doing business, I suppose. Nice cars but you have to get lucky and live with whatever you get. Complaining to SOA might get a coupon for free service, but not a fix.

NYCJODY

Post by NYCJODY » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:39 pm

Just was gifted a 2020 Crosstrek for Christmas...YaY!!!
and wanted to find a discount code to upgrade to safety plus...sorry STARLINK9 doesn't work anymore....shucks!
Anyone got another?

Topic Author
A440

Post by A440 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:35 am

It wouldn't hurt to try asking them for 50% off a subscription. Good Luck.

NYCJODY

Post by NYCJODY » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:10 am

Thanks for the response!
My reason for upgrading was to get the remote start but I haven’t yet read any positive reviews about that remote system....distance to engage isn’t far enough, often didn’t work etc. So, I think I’ll pass on the upgrade for now until the system is improved.