[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
wabbott

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by wabbott » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:01 pm

Disney + The Imagineering Story, Episode 1 - "The Happiest Place on Earth." Almost worth the subscription just for this series, imo.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Imagineering_Story

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:31 pm

I just finished 6 seasons of Bojack Horseman, on Netflix. I was very happy to see that the series got better, not worse, as time went on. I'm looking forward to the final episodes, which are announced for release on January 31, 2020.

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, on Amazon prime. A nice change of pace, I like it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

DrippingSprings

Post by DrippingSprings » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:08 am

StrangePenguin wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:47 pm
We have been enjoying "A French Village", which is a French-language show about the travails of a small town in France living under the Nazi occupation during WW2. (Season 1 is available on Amazon Prime. Annoyingly Prime only has some of the seasons, not all of them.) The town is situated in the occupied zone but near the borders with both Switzerland and the Vichy zone. The war as we (Americans) usually think of it -- soldiers, bombing, etc plays only a small role. Instead it is about daily life of people in the town as they try to figure out how to survive from day to day. (With lots of love affairs and such thrown in, of course.)
Excellent show! It is worth getting MHz Choice for a month just to see the rest of the seasons.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:44 pm

"The Mandalorian" - really enjoyed it. My cable provider doesn't offer Disney+ so I purchased an Amazon FireStick simply to watch this show. It was worth the $30 or whatever I paid for the device.

dowse

Post by dowse » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:07 pm

"Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of my Voice". Documentary run on CNN on Jan. 1. Currently streaming on the CNN Go app.

It brought tears to my eyes for the great memories it brought back and for the outlook for her future, given her health challenges. I was fortunate to have seen her live 3 times in the 70's and 80's, all in small venues. All great performances.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:19 pm

I'm watching "The Messiah" on Netflix and so far enjoying it. A slow developing drama/suspense show where this guy pops out of nowhere in the middle east in the middle of significant events and people start to follow him. Then comes to the US, pulls off what appear to be miracles but you don't really know if true. Protagonist is a CIA agent trying to figure out what is going on.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:23 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:31 pm
I just finished 6 seasons of Bojack Horseman, on Netflix. I was very happy to see that the series got better, not worse, as time went on. I'm looking forward to the final episodes, which are announced for release on January 31, 2020.

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, on Amazon prime. A nice change of pace, I like it.
DW loves MMM. I've watched some and there are some very good lines. The dialogue is fast paced and intelligent. At times a bit too exaggerated / Broadway- ish for my tastes.

Halicar

Post by Halicar » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:03 pm

The Mandalorian got us hooked on Star Wars again, so my son and I have been watching The Clone Wars. It's an excellent show--far better than the prequels. Fair warning though if you watch it with your kids: It's animated, but it is TV-MA and there's a bit of, uh, "fanservice" at times.

mnsportsgeek

Post by mnsportsgeek » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:11 pm

I've been watching way to much TV lately but I've had a great time with (in no particular order):

The Morning Show (Apple TV+)
Watchmen (HBO)
You (Netflix)
For All Mankind (Apple TV+)
The Mandalorian (Disney+)
Stumptown (Hulu/Network TV)
The Witcher (Netflix)
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (Amazon Prime)

mnsportsgeek

Post by mnsportsgeek » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:14 pm

Halicar wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:03 pm
The Mandalorian got us hooked on Star Wars again, so my son and I have been watching The Clone Wars. It's an excellent show--far better than the prequels. Fair warning though if you watch it with your kids: It's animated, but it is TV-MA and there's a bit of, uh, "fanservice" at times.
I thought it was TV-PG?

Halicar

Post by Halicar » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:26 pm

mnsportsgeek wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:14 pm
Halicar wrote:
I thought it was TV-PG?
You're right--it is. Even more surprising then that there are scenes in actual strip clubs with pole dancers in the background that appear completely nude :shock:

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:53 am

JBTX wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:19 pm
I'm watching "The Messiah" on Netflix and so far enjoying it. A slow developing drama/suspense show where this guy pops out of nowhere in the middle east in the middle of significant events and people start to follow him. Then comes to the US, pulls off what appear to be miracles but you don't really know if true. Protagonist is a CIA agent trying to figure out what is going on.
Same...about halfway through the season here. Good show.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:05 am

"Don't F* With Cats" on Netflix. O.M.G. One of the most disturbing stories I've ever heard.

Blues

Post by Blues » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:01 am

stoptothink wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:05 am
"Don't F* With Cats" on Netflix. O.M.G. One of the most disturbing stories I've ever heard.
As a retired federal law enforcement officer, (criminal investigator), I had to admire the resolve of the individuals involved in seeing this matter brought to justice. They were very persistent over a very long period of time.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:00 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:05 am
Didn't realize this was about Luka Magnotta. "Disturbing" doesn't quite do this monster justice.

batpot

Post by batpot » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:26 pm

Watched the final season of Silicon Valley. Sad to see it go, but excited to see what Mike Judge does next.

Then watched Watchmen - best show I've seen in a really long time.

JackieBog46

Post by JackieBog46 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:35 am

Why is everyone hooked on these dystopian, end-of-world-type shows? Why kill your own soul? You have the best TV show ever made available on Netflix and Amazon. It's called Heartland. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npBIDMSGDKg

rj342

Post by rj342 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:45 am

Wife got Hulu on the Black Friday sale, $1.99/month.

I have enjoyed their own series Shuteye, with the guy from Burn Notice as a 'psychic' in LA chafing at being under the thumb of the Gypsy/Roma sort of mafia that controls most of these businesses. To complicate things, he has a head injury and starts actually having some visions/hallucinations (everything else is always fake). Not lighthearted like Burn Notice.

Wife really enjoyed Younger (comedy from TVLand), about a divorced 41yo woman who ends up pretending to be 29 in order to get a fashionable job in NYC, with the problems that ensue. 6 seasons so far.

Couple general observations:

1) Anyone else developing the preference, when watching heavily serialized shows, for ones that are already completed, or that you know are expected to complete? (thank god for the Deadwood finale movie last year on HBO!)

2) Anyone else annoyed when Amazon or Netflix gets what actually appear to be some genuinely good foreign content, and only dubbed versions are available rather than subtitled?

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:06 pm

rj342 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:45 am
2) Anyone else annoyed when Amazon or Netflix gets what actually appear to be some genuinely good foreign content, and only dubbed versions are available rather than subtitled?
I'm not sure if that's my exact annoyance but I generally avoid any foreign language shows. It just doesn't seem worth the trouble.

I believe some shows are actually filmed/taped/recorded/whatever in multiple languages where the script and actors do it all twice, in two languages. At least one show I am familiar with, Hinterland, is like that and it worked well. (Welsh and English)
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:21 pm

rj342 wrote:

I would watch a show (like "Dark" for example) with good dubbing. I would never watch a show (or movie) that was completely in a foreign language and only subtitled in English.

batpot

Post by batpot » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:56 pm

JackieBog46 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:35 am
Why is everyone hooked on these dystopian, end-of-world-type shows? Why kill your own soul? You have the best TV show ever made available on Netflix and Amazon. It's called Heartland. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npBIDMSGDKg
Couldn't even make it through the trailer.
For "Canadian Family Drama", I'd rather watch Letterkenny. :beer

rj342

Post by rj342 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:01 pm

bertilak wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:06 pm
rj342 wrote:
I'm not sure if that's my exact annoyance but I generally avoid any foreign language shows. It just doesn't seem worth the trouble.

I believe some shows are actually filmed/taped/recorded/whatever in multiple languages where the script and actors do it all twice, in two languages. At least one show I am familiar with, Hinterland, is like that and it worked well. (Welsh and English)
Re subtitles, I can do it for the occasional movie, but would be hard pressed to watch a series that way (or dubbed for that matter)

rj342

Post by rj342 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:04 pm

mak1277 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:21 pm
rj342 wrote:

I would watch a show (like "Dark" for example) with good dubbing. I would never watch a show (or movie) that was completely in a foreign language and only subtitled in English.
It takes a little getting used to, but I prefer not having the mismatched voices and mouth movements, plus the dubbing voice actors are rarely as good as the original actors, re conveying the emotion.

KFBR392

Post by KFBR392 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:05 pm

rj342 wrote:

Netflix usually defaults to the English dub but most of the time you can change it to its original language and turn English subtitles on.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:11 pm

rj342 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:04 pm
mak1277 wrote:
rj342 wrote:

It takes a little getting used to, but I prefer not having the mismatched voices and mouth movements, plus the dubbing voice actors are rarely as good as the original actors, re conveying the emotion.
If I want to read I'll grab a book.

rj342

Post by rj342 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:14 pm

KFBR392 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:05 pm
rj342 wrote:

Netflix usually defaults to the English dub but most of the time you can change it to its original language and turn English subtitles on.
Will take a closer look for that when I get Netflix again. We've been doing what they hate, just getting HBO or Netflix for one or two months a year then dropping until next years batch of stuff worth watching has accumulated. On Prime I have sometimes seen two versions of the movie one dubbed, another native but w English subtitles you can turn on. Have not noticed one entry w all the options.

rj342

Post by rj342 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:16 pm

mak1277 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:11 pm
rj342 wrote:
mak1277 wrote:
rj342 wrote:

Heh. FWIW, I dislike audiobooks and would just rather read, which is faster, I can hear the voices in my head, and I am fully focused. Suppose I might feel differently if I had a long driving commute.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:18 pm

batpot wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:56 pm
JackieBog46 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:35 am
Couldn't even make it through the trailer.
For "Canadian Family Drama", I'd rather watch Letterkenny. :beer
+1. Absolutely not my cup of tea (Heartland).

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:21 pm

rj342 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:16 pm
mak1277 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:11 pm
rj342 wrote:
mak1277 wrote:
rj342 wrote:

Heh. FWIW, I dislike audiobooks and would just rather read, which is faster, I can hear the voices in my head, and I am fully focused. Suppose I might feel differently if I had a long driving commute.
Same...I can't pay attention enough to an audiobook to get anything meaningful out of them, or follow along with the story. I need/want to be 100% undistracted when reading.

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:21 pm

I am watching The Larry Sanders show on HBO. I'm on Season 4 right now. I am really enjoying it and can see the influence it had on more recent comedy shows. It's interesting to see a lot of popular comics in their younger days. The writing is really good.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca

jibantik

Post by jibantik » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:33 pm

His Dark Materials - Liked it alot, maybe a little slow at first. Haven't read the books.

The Witcher - Very confused at first, show does not hold your hand. Now that I understand things better after a few episodes I really like it. I think people who read the books are not overly fond of it though.

Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:25 pm

jibantik wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:33 pm
His Dark Materials - Liked it alot, maybe a little slow at first. Haven't read the books.

The Witcher - Very confused at first, show does not hold your hand. Now that I understand things better after a few episodes I really like it. I think people who read the books are not overly fond of it though.
I'm nearly done with His Dark Materials and I've read the books; I really like the show. It's competent with good production values.

I thoroughly enjoyed The Witcher. It's a bit muddled at times, but I like the fact that it just tosses you into the middle of things and does not rely on excessive exposition to try and explain as to what is going on. Life does not work like that.

Nicolas
Location: Oh my name it is nothin’. My age it means less. The country I come from, Is called the Midwest

Post by Nicolas » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:33 pm

John Adams (2008) Paul Giamatti, Laura Linney, John Dossett. HBO TV Mini-Series in seven parts.

The life of one of the USA's founding fathers, its second president, and his role in the nation's first 50 years.

Adapted from David McCullough's Pulitzer Prize-winning biography. Superb in every respect, recommended. https://www.hbo.com/john-adams

Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:58 pm

Just finished season 1 of Fauda (subtitles) on Netflix and liked it a lot... Sort of Blacklist for the Israel Palestinian conflict.
Maybe more interesting to me as I toured Israel in November. What I will say is that the look and feel of the Palestinian territories in the show mirror what I saw in real life...and not in a good way!

Just finished Season 2 of Rake, also on Netflix, which I find very well written and acted. In OZ English, so subtitles might have been useful!
I would compare it to Better Call Saul in terms of the description of Lawyers!

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:59 pm

Messiah on Netflix. Interesting although very predictable.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:47 pm

Orange is the New Black. Final season.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:04 pm

Halicar wrote:
Huh? The Clones Wars has a MPAA rating of TV-PG I've watched it and own it there is absolutely no " foul language, graphic violence, graphic sexual activity or any combination of these elements" *Bold is mine*.

I would give that there is violence but nothing to the degree of a MA rating version of "graphic".

brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:09 pm

The Witcher on Netflix -- I'm biased tho loved the books, liked the games.
The Mandalorian on Disney+ -- I literally can't be friends of anyone that doesn't like baby yoda. ;)

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:15 pm

brad.clarkston wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:09 pm

The Mandalorian on Disney+ -- I literally can't be friends of anyone that doesn't like baby yoda. ;)
It gets pretty disorganized and cheesy after the 3rd episode. The entire premise becomes: hey, baby yoda is cute so we don't need to have a story. I am married to a big Star Wars fan and her best friend's life pretty much revolves around Star Wars (she has a memorabilia collection valued at more than her home, her husband and herself are members of some secret Star Wars fan club that meets all over the world, all their clothing (and tattoos) are Star Wars related...I wish this was a joke) and both of them didn't particularly like it. My wife says 2 stars out of 5.

Halicar

Post by Halicar » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:18 pm

brad.clarkston wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:04 pm
Halicar wrote:
Huh? The Clones Wars has a MPAA rating of TV-PG I've watched it and own it there is absolutely no " foul language, graphic violence, graphic sexual activity or any combination of these elements" *Bold is mine*.

I would give that there is violence but nothing to the degree of a MA rating version of "graphic".
Right--I responded to another comment that I was mistaken about the rating, and that I found the strip club scenes surprisingly suggestive.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:23 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:15 pm
brad.clarkston wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:09 pm

It gets pretty disorganized and cheesy after the 3rd episode. The entire premise becomes: hey, baby yoda is cute so we don't need to have a story. I am married to a big Star Wars fan and her best friend's life pretty much revolves around Star Wars (she has a memorabilia collection valued at more than her home, her husband and herself are members of some secret Star Wars fan club that meets all over the world, all their clothing (and tattoos) are Star Wars related...I wish this was a joke) and both of them didn't particularly like it. My wife says 2 stars out of 5.
I thought it was excellent, and I don't give a hoot about Baby Yoda. I could have done without Episode 6, but otherwise I have no real complaints.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:35 pm

dowse wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:07 pm
"Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of my Voice". Documentary run on CNN on Jan. 1. Currently streaming on the CNN Go app.

It brought tears to my eyes for the great memories it brought back and for the outlook for her future, given her health challenges. I was fortunate to have seen her live 3 times in the 70's and 80's, all in small venues. All great performances.
This is an excellent documentary. We really enjoyed it.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:46 pm

Watching the latest season on The Profit.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:47 pm

Also watching Blue Bloods.

Rowan Oak

Post by Rowan Oak » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:34 pm

Nicolas wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:33 pm
John Adams (2008) Paul Giamatti, Laura Linney, John Dossett. HBO TV Mini-Series in seven parts.

The life of one of the USA's founding fathers, its second president, and his role in the nation's first 50 years.

Adapted from David McCullough's Pulitzer Prize-winning biography. Superb in every respect, recommended. https://www.hbo.com/john-adams
Excellent movie/mini-series. Highly recommend.
“If you can get good at destroying your own wrong ideas, that is a great gift.” – Charlie Munger

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:05 am

See on Apple TV. In the future people live relatively primitive lives due to a plague long ago that left everyone blind (or so they thought). I'd give it a 7/10.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:03 pm

Binge watching Black Mirror now (in an Airbnb with Netflix which I don't have at home). Dystopic visions of the near future based on technology gone amok.
Inconsistent. At its best it is fantastic. At its worst it is still not a total waste of time (to the extent that any TV viewing is not a waste of time). Most of the ones I have seen so far are quite interesting and some are excellent.
Start with the Christmas special.

Eowyn

Post by Eowyn » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:32 pm

I'm binge-watching Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories on Netflix. Lovely little (25 min, shorter if you skip the intro) stories of people who frequent a late-night "meshiya." The "Master" (chef/owner) will prepare anything his customers request, as long as he has the ingredients. The reasons for the requests are the bases of the stories. Each episodes wraps up neatly with no cliff hangers, as satisfying as a nice meal.

jjunk

Post by jjunk » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:05 am

Succession on HBO. Its a great show and reminds me a lot of Game of Thrones family issues without the violence and nudity.

Monsterflockster

Post by Monsterflockster » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:12 am

Really enjoyed the Mandelorian, it was like a Star Wars Rebels live action show. Missing a plot... but that in itself is kinda the plot.

Just finished the Watchmen on HBO. Very good show, and loved everything from the writing to the directing. Just don’t watch it around the kids and realize it will take all 9 episodes to answer all the questions as you figure things out with the main character.