Cardiff Park

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
ellink

Cardiff Park

Post by ellink » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:00 am

I have been searching for an advisor for over a decade (as you know, it isn't easy). We are now beginning discussions with Cardiff Park. Respectfully, I am not looking for pros and cons of using an advisor. But I would like to hear about any personal experience with Cardiff Park and John Gorlow. Also, after reading this board for several years, I was planning on moving to a 3 fund portfolio so I'm now trying to wrap my head around the DFA model. Would very much be interested in personal experiences with DFA funds and philosophy. Feel free to PM me.
Thank you!

chevca

Re: Cardiff Park

Post by chevca » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:13 am

For over a decade.... what have you been doing in that time? Have you been just sitting paralyzed, or running things on your own?

Topic Author
ellink

Post by ellink » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:16 am

I've been investing on my own but it has been a lot of automatic pilot.

chevca

Post by chevca » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:18 am

Why not continue doing that?

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:30 am

The firm and its principal have been mentioned a few times on the forum, so using the search function would be a good idea.

My experience with them: None whatsoever which is I think how most people on this forum can answer.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:43 am

ellink wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:00 am
I was planning on moving to a 3 fund portfolio so I'm now trying to wrap my head around the DFA model. Would very much be interested in personal experiences with DFA funds and philosophy. Feel free to PM me.
Thank you!
ellink:

If you are moving to The Three-Fund Portfolio it is unlikely that you need a costly DFA fund and (expensive) advisor that DFA requires.

Best wishes.
Taylor
John Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "In investing, you get what you don't pay for. Costs matter."
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:51 am

ellink wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:00 am
I have been searching for an advisor for over a decade (as you know, it isn't easy). We are now beginning discussions with Cardiff Park. Respectfully, I am not looking for pros and cons of using an advisor. But I would like to hear about any personal experience with Cardiff Park and John Gorlow. Also, after reading this board for several years, I was planning on moving to a 3 fund portfolio so I'm now trying to wrap my head around the DFA model. Would very much be interested in personal experiences with DFA funds and philosophy. Feel free to PM me.
Thank you!
Searching for over a decade....

Thinking of moving to a 3 fund portfolio for several years....

I agree it's time to make a decision. Gorlow is fine if you want an advisor. Good advice. Fair price. A 3 fund (or 2 fund or 4 fund) portfolio of Vanguard index funds is also fine if you don't want an advisor. Very low cost. Looks really great in years like 2019 when large growth outperforms other corners of the market.

I've owned DFA funds in a 529 for several years. Over that time period Vanguard funds have outperformed them. But LG has also outperformed SV over that time period, so that should be expected.

Advisor vs no advisor.

Total market funds vs factor investing.

These are two debates with no definite answer. Many roads to Dublin as Taylor says. But if either of these is better than the road you're on (and presumably it is or you wouldn't be considering changing) then get it done already.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

Topic Author
ellink

Post by ellink » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:21 pm

Yes, I had already made good use of the search function and have PM'ed everyone who mentioned that they had personal experience with Cardiff Park. Thanks everyone for your comments!