Considerations for Promotion Offer

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
KNomad

Considerations for Promotion Offer

Post by KNomad » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:18 am

I'm currently a mid-level manager at a mid-sized technology company (500 people, ~$80MM net revenue). I manage a team of pre-sales consultants and product strategy SMEs. I've been heavily involved in building out new product offerings and onboarding new enterprise-level clients to those new products.

Pertinent info-
-I live in a MCOL area.
-My current compensation is about $210K.
-I've been at the same company for 5 years.
-33 years old.
-Historically I've traveled 75%, but have been able to cut back in the past year.

My company is owned by a large, publicly-traded EU firm that is looking to sell us.

My company recently acquired a UK based company with technology that is complementary to our technology. We share some mutual clients and are building a product together, but the plan is to run these two companies separately (different boards, different exec teams, etc). I've worked with this company for several years and I've co-pitched clients around the world with the newly acquired company's (will henceforth refer to this company as NAC) CEO, CTO and head of business development and get along well with them.

The CEO and CTO of NAC report to my company's head of corporate development. NAC's CEO, CTO and our head of corp dev have asked me to take on running North America and Asia Pacific for NAC. I'd be responsible for all business development, account management and product strategy in these regions. This would be a substantial promotion in terms of responsibilities. I'd give up managing my team, but build out a new team as the business grows.

My main considerations are-
-My company (along with NAC) is likely going to be sold by our parent company in the next year. I was already thinking of leaving for this reason, and also because I feel like it's time to explore opportunities elsewhere.
-NAC's technology is best in class, but many of their potential clients in the US have acquired companies that fill this technology need. I have doubts as to how successful NAC can be in North America. There is a lot of runway in Asia, but NAC has historically been priced too high for that market.
-I'm pretty burned out on travel and this role would require me to travel extensively, both domestically and internationally. My current role will require a couple trips to Australia and Europe this year, but will probably keep me at 25% travel.
-There aren't a ton of options locally for other companies to jump to.
-There is a lot of uncertainty in my company's future given that we are up for sale, so I kind of feel like I might as well take on this new role while I continue to look around.

I'm expecting a formal offer in the next several days and expect the comp package to come in at $260K-$280k. From a career perspective, is it a no brainer to take this role? Are there any other considerations I should take into account or other things I should be asking for?

LittleGreenSoldiers

Re: Considerations for Promotion Offer

Post by LittleGreenSoldiers » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:06 am

Do you have a vested equity position in your current employer?

25% travel isn't really that much. Unless you just don't like it. Personal/family choice. Mine and my family's ability to put up with the amount of travel in my career(~75%) is one of the primary reasons why we are have been financial independent since my mid 40's and looking in to retiring by early/mid 50s'.

Is the new move to $260K from $210K a no brainer? I don't know?
Q1. Are the benefits at the new company in line or better/worse then current company?
Q2 Is any of your compensation variable or based on performance?
Q3. Is the new company larger/smaller than your current employer?
Q4. Is the new company domestic or another international company?

Personally I'd wait at least 6 month until after the purchase of your current company and then see what the new structure and compensation/benefits are like.

Topic Author
KNomad

Post by KNomad » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:53 am

Thanks for the reply. I had a small amount of equity in my current company that was paid out when it was acquired by our parent company.

Q1. Are the benefits at the new company in line or better/worse then current company?
They are identical.

Q2 Is any of your compensation variable or based on performance?
Current comp is $160k base and the rest variable. I expect new offer to be $180k base and the rest variable.

Q3. Is the new company larger/smaller than your current employer?
NAC is 35 employees, all UK based.

Q4. Is the new company domestic or another international company?
NAC is entirely UK based. It's too early to know who will purchase my current company, but it will likely be a large multinational corporation.

25% travel hasn't really bothered me, but I did 3 weeks a month of international travel for 4 years and got a bit burned out doing that.

German Expat

Post by German Expat » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:58 am

A couple questions and points:

1. Do they allow you to fly business class overseas? Having a lot of international travel this can make a huge difference.

2. A major consideration would be how this helps in a a future job search. You mention that with either jobs you see potential future issues after the company is sold. Would you be better off or worse in this case when looking for new opportunities?

3. How safe is the variable part in the new job? You do not sound yet too optimistic about selling NAC's product in the US or Asia.

Topic Author
KNomad

Post by KNomad » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:49 pm

German Expat wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:58 am

1. Do they allow you to fly business class overseas? Having a lot of international travel this can make a huge difference.

2. A major consideration would be how this helps in a a future job search. You mention that with either jobs you see potential future issues after the company is sold. Would you be better off or worse in this case when looking for new opportunities?

3. How safe is the variable part in the new job? You do not sound yet too optimistic about selling NAC's product in the US or Asia.
Great questions.

1- it depends. We get a $1000 per flight supplement to upgrade to business class. This was enough for me to upgrade each way from US to Europe and US to Australia last year, but it heavily depends on particular flights.

2- I think taking the new role could help since it will have a good title. I've got some feelers out to other companies and it would probably help future negotiations to have a higher comp plan now. On the negative side, some people in my network think it could posthole me since it would be harder to step down to roles more lateral to my current position.

3- I'm neutral for Asia/Australia and kinda negative on my outlook for North America. Need to get formal offer before knowing what to forecast for the variable earnings.

Somewhat related- should I ask for some kind of consideration in my contract that outlines compensation should this position be eliminated in a merger?

Topic Author
KNomad

Post by KNomad » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:51 pm

German Expat wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:58 am

Great questions.

1- it depends. We get a $1000 per flight supplement to upgrade to business class. This was enough for me to upgrade each way from US to Europe and US to Australia last year, but it heavily depends on particular flights.

2- I think taking the new role could help since it will have a good title. I've got some feelers out to other companies and it would probably help future negotiations to have a higher comp plan now. On the negative side, some people in my network think it could posthole me since it would be harder to step down to roles more lateral to my current position.

3- I'm neutral for Asia/Australia and kinda negative on my outlook for North America. Need to get formal offer before knowing what to forecast for the variable earnings.

Somewhat related- should I ask for some kind of consideration in my contract that outlines compensation should this position be eliminated in a merger?

German Expat

Post by German Expat » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:34 pm

I would not ask for a consideration if the position is eliminated in a merger. If they value you enough they keep you and if not they let you go. You could ask for a longer termination period but this cuts both ways in case you find a new job at a different employer.

I would ask for some guarantees on the flexible part of the compensation for year 1 with a floor because you won't know the business well enough yet and might well end up with less money in year 1.

It sounds though you are a 1 man show for a while with a fancy title or do I understand this not correct? Looks like you can build a team after things work well (you write as the business grows).

It can be a good opportunity if things work out well but there is the additional uncertainty of your company being sold. Dependent on the buyer your job might just get absorbed into their organization. On the other hand it can help build your resume and you gain additional experience. But to me it sounds like you could quickly go back to 75% travel and you need to be ok with it.

Stick5vw

Post by Stick5vw » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:20 pm

If you are responsible for building a business from scratch, you will be travelling constantly. Been there done that, and it can become quite a grind - especially if you aren’t sure the business has any runway. If you are burned out on 25% travel can you handle more than that?

How many times would you need to go to Asia? Building an Asia business from the USA seems like a very tall order. Those flights are long and the jet lag is a killer. I would ask for business class on anything longer than a 3 or 4 hour flight, domestic or international.

More importantly do you think this company can increase its market share in the US and Asia? If it’s not a proposition you can get behind, you will quickly lose interest.

Your guaranteed comp (base) will increase by $20k, is that right? After tax, that will be smaller. Is that bump enough to compel you to take the role? The bonus is probably not guaranteed (right?) and this is heavily dependent on results - which seems like it would depend on the market share question raised above.

If you can successfully build the business, yes, it can be a game changer for your career (financially and in terms of the future opportunities) - and personally I think international experience is a unique opportunity professionally and life-wise that everyone should seriously consider if it makes sense. (Including international relocation)

What happens if you don’t take the job? Can you walk away from this opportunity with no problems or will you anger your superiors?

these are the main fundamental questions I see right now

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:39 pm

What strikes me is
1) not enough of a bump in base - lots of benefits are calculated off base and not variable/total comp. Sounds like a ton or work for 20k more pre-tax. That right there is a red flag.
2) I'd want guaranteed business class on overseas flights with all of the travel
3) variable should have a high guaranteed floor first year and a lower guarantee the second year so that you don't end up taking a pay cut for more work

Misenplace

Post by Misenplace » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:03 pm

This thread has been moved from Personal Consumer topics to Personal Finance (Not Investing) (questions regarding employment).

Moderator Misenplace