Carrying to much cash to Ecuador

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
dm200

Re: Carrying to much cash to Ecuador

Post by dm200 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:21 pm

mptfan wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:37 am
Luckywon wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:56 am
$800 of the $1400 you mention is gratuities which you could give in $100 bills. The rest in $20 bills. Between two people that's not a lot to carry.
I agree.
If you take some $100 bills, I wonder whether the older or newer versions are better (more accepted)? There are still a lot of the older ones still in circulation.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:39 pm

dm200 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:21 pm
mptfan wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:37 am
Luckywon wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:56 am
$800 of the $1400 you mention is gratuities which you could give in $100 bills. The rest in $20 bills. Between two people that's not a lot to carry.
I agree.
If you take some $100 bills, I wonder whether the older or newer versions are better (more accepted)? There are still a lot of the older ones still in circulation.
What would be the reasoning for wanting older bills? When the new ones came out, I couldn't get rid of my older ones fast enough. Some machines (bill changers, etc) balk at them more often than the new bills in my experience.

MJS

Post by MJS » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:11 pm

Doom&Gloom wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:39 pm
What would be the reasoning for wanting older bills? When the new ones came out, I couldn't get rid of my older ones fast enough. Some machines (bill changers, etc) balk at them more often than the new bills in my experience.
Paranoia.

<Sarcasm mode on>
Didn't you know that many _Completely! Trustworthy! Websites!_ have shown that the stripe in $ "allow the government to know exactly how much money anyone is carrying at any particular moment. With the use of special scanners, or possibly a beam from a distant satellite, the Feds can quickly count the value of all bank notes being carried on or about one’s person and thus track how much money is entering or leaving the country, and with whom." https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/cache-point/

sport

Re: Carrying too much cash to Ecuador

Post by sport » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:36 pm

I once attended a personal safety lecture given by a police officer. He had some interesting advice about carrying cash in a questionable area. He suggested having three wallets for cash. The first wallet would have a small amount, maybe less than $10. The second wallet would have a larger amount, maybe $30 or $40. The big money would be in the third wallet. The reasoning was this:
If you are approached by a thief who demands your money, give him the first wallet. When the thief sees how little is there, he will ask for the rest of the money. So, you say "you are too smart for me" and you give him the second wallet. No one is ever going to ask for a third wallet.