Value of Active and Ongoing Reading of the Bogleheads Forums

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
xxd091

Re: Value of Active and Ongoing Reading of the Bogleheads Forums

Post by xxd091 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:19 pm

As a U.K. Boglehead I learnt at the feet of such great posters as Ozark42 too many years ago than I care to remember
It set me up and I now pop by to learn and post a little-put something back
Aged 73 -retired 17 years and owe a satisfactory retirement to John Bogle and the Bogleheads
I never stop learning but it is fine tuning now or more likely come by to get the constant reminder to leave the Portfolio alone and “Stay the Course”!
xxd091

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:26 pm

AerialWombat wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:53 am
Because where else would I get to argue in favor of real estate investing??? BiggerPockets is just an echo chamber in that regards; here I have a challenge. :beer
Bogleheads is an echo chamber for cap weighting American equities while simultaneously severely underweighting foreign equities. And also a Vanguard cult. So I get a challenge too. :happy

There are reasons why I do not invest in real estate, but I think it's fine for people who are not me. It turns out a lot of people are not me. :P

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:29 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:26 pm
Bogleheads is an echo chamber for cap weighting American equities while simultaneously severely underweighting foreign equities. And also a Vanguard cult.
Not sure I agree with the Vanguard cult reference, there have been quite a number of Vanguard bashing threads as well as pro Fidelity and pro Schwab threads.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:36 pm

mptfan wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:29 pm
whodidntante wrote:
Bogleheads is an echo chamber for cap weighting American equities while simultaneously severely underweighting foreign equities. And also a Vanguard cult.
Not sure I agree with the Vanguard cult reference, there have been quite a number of Vanguard bashing threads as well as pro Fidelity and pro Schwab threads.
That's true. The heathens have been finding their voice. :beer

AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:37 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Bogleheads is an echo chamber for cap weighting American equities while simultaneously severely underweighting foreign equities.
What do you mean about foreign equities? Why would anybody need those?

Just kidding, just kidding.
“Life doesn’t come with a warranty.” -Michael LeBoeuf

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:50 pm

Scerabi wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:38 am
At a point where I'm trying to decide whether an ongoing review of these forums is helpful or detrimental to my continued learning and in sticking with my investment strategy and would like others to chime in; specifically with what you've learned by reading these forums after having decided upon a long term investment strategy.

Part of me says there are many areas where I could use further learnin'. Another part of me says that I'm at a point where I've a solid plan and need to stop, cut out all distracting noise, and simply stick to the plan. I've completed the cycle of (1) thinking I can beat the market, (2) making investing complicated, (3) learning that I can't beat the market, and then (4) switching to a MUCH more simple and standardized approach that's slightly customized based on my research and personal preferences (e.g. roughly the % that would go into bonds is allocated towards Small Cap Value ETFs). ...
Your first post on this forum last month regarding rebalancing (and a possible misunderstanding of it, per some replies), seems to show you could continue to behefit from the forum advice.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=297999&p=4899238#p4899238
John Bogle on his often bumpy road to low-cost indexing: "When a door closes, if you look long enough and hard enough, if you're strong enough, you'll find a window that opens."

Cubicle

Post by Cubicle » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:12 am

jsprag wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:26 am
If you don't mind sharing, what are some of your other favorite forums?
WhiteCoatInvestor forum
Cadillac forum
Nasty Z28 forum
MX-5 Miata forum

[sarcasm]As you can tell, I have a wide variety of interests...[/sarcasm] Although I haven't been much on the car forums lately. I've been on quite the financial spell recently.

Another reason I like coming here, trying/learning new things. I just had my first cup of stove top percolated coffee tonight. Delicious. Inspired by viewtopic.php?t=274350

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:37 am

goingup wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:10 am

William Bernstein (Dr.) likes to say that a portfolio is a like a bar of soap--the more it's handled, the less there is!
That's a good one.

Going on my BH Tattoo list.
70% Global Market Weight Equities | 15% Long Treasuries 15% short TIPS & cash || RSU + ESPP

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:43 am

FI4LIFE wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:30 pm
I hang around because if I do, one day I will learn what a "backdoor Roth IRA" is. I refuse to look it up.
I have one at work, I've read about it, and I'm still not convinced I should use one instead of just putting money in taxable, which is simple.

So count me as a fellow ignoramus.
70% Global Market Weight Equities | 15% Long Treasuries 15% short TIPS & cash || RSU + ESPP

jsprag

Post by jsprag » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:44 pm

Cubicle wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:12 am
jsprag wrote:
WhiteCoatInvestor forum
Cadillac forum
Nasty Z28 forum
MX-5 Miata forum

[sarcasm]As you can tell, I have a wide variety of interests...[/sarcasm] Although I haven't been much on the car forums lately. I've been on quite the financial spell recently.

Another reason I like coming here, trying/learning new things. I just had my first cup of stove top percolated coffee tonight. Delicious. Inspired by viewtopic.php?t=274350
Thanks. I'm a fan of the WCI blog posts, but haven't spent much time on the forums. I'll have a look.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:01 pm

watchnerd wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:37 am
You have Boglehead tattoos? Do you have one on your lower back that says "Backdoor Roth"?
:shock:

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:15 pm

mptfan wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:01 pm
watchnerd wrote:
You have Boglehead tattoos? Do you have one on your lower back that says "Backdoor Roth"?
Tramp stamp?

Cubicle

Post by Cubicle » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:57 am

mptfan wrote:
Very, very, underrated. I enjoy subtle comedy. Very well done.

So it's weird to have your asset allocation as a tattoo? Or your favorite ETF/fund tickers? "Bogle4Life"???

manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:05 am

FI4LIFE wrote:
I hang around because if I do, one day I will learn what a "backdoor Roth IRA" is. I refuse to look it up.
Just wait till you hear about mega backdoor Roth IRA.

manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:07 am

Cubicle wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:12 am
jsprag wrote:
WhiteCoatInvestor forum
Cadillac forum
Nasty Z28 forum
MX-5 Miata forum

I have a small % of my portfolio in stocks, so I go to www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets to have a laugh.

Big Jim24

Post by Big Jim24 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:09 am

I felt the way you do recently, partly because I was overwhelmed with the topics on things that I thought I knew, but really only had a surface-level understanding of. I cringe now when I look at my post from a few months back where I was schooled on the Roth IRA for my income level.

The thing I like most is that I can speak freely here and read posts of others who do the same, on a subject that most don't feel comfortable talking about in person. It's a very personal and emotional subject for many people, and this site does a good job of keeping emotion, politics and the other distractions out of the discussion.

There are also topics that I go back and forth on, so I like getting different and evolving perspectives, such as when to draw social security.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:22 am

Continues to be a great place for entertainment, reading non-investment threads, contributing to threads at times, asking specific questions on occasion. Spent about 45" yesterday, for example, putting our portfolio in posting format to ask for a review. However, after doing so decided there was no reason to post since we were satisfied with approach and results.

Tim

Watty

Post by Watty » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:34 am

"You don't know what your don't know."

One advantage of following the boards is that I sometimes don't know what question to ask so some of the threads will get me thinking of investing topics to that I would not have otherwise thought to look into.

It also feels good to (hopefully) help people with their situation.

Even with close friends and families talking about money is often a taboo topic so a lot of people don't have a lot of places to get basic financial planning help.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:44 am

What most of us have learned on Bogleheads boils down to one thing....that, despite what the media and numerous industry pundits would like you to believe, investing wisely is simple. VERY simple.

Once you have learned how to do it, there is little more that you really need to know or read about regarding financial management. Those that do continue reading and studying, do so out of interest, or some niggling itch that maybe they could tweak it and do slightly better in the long run (though to date I have seen no convincing evidence or theory to believe that such tweaking does anything more than complicate things, others here may disagree).

I stay a part of this community for the following reasons:
1. To get answers to very specific questions that I may have or that I may find interesting or prescient
2. To give back to others from what I have learned (or know about), as others have given to me
3. To find out about new opportunities (such as promotional CD offers for example)
4. Curiosity.
5. I enjoy reading intelligent comments, and a lot of very intelligent people post in this forum....many with skill sets very different than my own.
Last edited by protagonist on Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.

retired@50

Post by retired@50 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:47 am

Watty wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:34 am
Even with close friends and families talking about money is often a taboo topic so a lot of people don't have a lot of places to get basic financial planning help.
This.^^^
I just want to help, even if it's not my family. I feel as if spending time on this site and contributing where I can is sort of my Financial Volunteer program. Plus, I learn stuff, which I like.

Regards,
Boggle - a game from Parker Brothers. Bogle - investor, founder of Vanguard.

Sage16

Post by Sage16 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:54 am

I continue to find value from a wide variety of topics here. Everything from travel pants, to moving a HSA accounts to Fidelity, to Chase CSR cards to what do to when Vanguard closed their Advantage account, to cutting the cord, etc, etc, etc. There is so much open sharing and experience on the best way to find value for your dollars on this forum that goes way beyond determining what your asset allocation should be.
Bogle on investing: Diversify, focus on low costs, invest for the long term. Don't speculate and don't be distracted by volatility.

helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:08 pm

rbaldini wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:20 am
95% of the discussion on the forum is endless repetition of old arguments. Check in from time to time for the other 5%.
The repetition is super helpful and the other 5% has great value too. I’ve adjusted vacation plans, car buying plans, gotten tips on raising kids and many other helpful advice on this forum.

Checking in every few days or every few weeks has helped “stay the course”. It will especially help stay the course when things aren’t on the up and up. That prospect makes me nervous but I know exactly where to turn to for sound advice that will just tell me to rebalance according to my AA.

mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:11 pm

mptfan wrote:
watchnerd wrote:
Of course not... it should say "Mega Backdoor Roth."

celia

Post by celia » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:29 pm

Fallible wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:50 pm
....<quoted post>
Your first post on this forum last month regarding rebalancing (and a possible misunderstanding of it, per some replies), seems to show you could continue to behefit from the forum advice.
I think this is the biggest benefit... posting and getting feedback/corrections from others. Even though I mostly post to answer questions, others will respond with a correction, another viewpoint, or it leads to a follow-on question. So that is good for my knowledge while helping someone else with theirs.

watchnerd wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:43 am
FI4LIFE wrote:
I have one at work, I've read about it, and I'm still not convinced I should use one instead of just putting money in taxable, which is simple.
First of all, you DON'T have one at work since IRAs are not tied to an employer. They are INDIVIDUAL Retirement Accounts. And if you care to read about them, we have a nifty wiki page on it: Backdoor Roth.

Not only does it clearly explain what it is (hint: it is NOT an account), but the things you need to watch out for and various examples of how it works with other IRAs are shown. Lastly, it guides you (or your tax preparer) on how to report it on your taxes. Very fine wiki page, if I may say so! :D

And look at this, two posters now have feedback on an easy way to learn about Backdoor Roths, just because they posted! (If they have further questions on this, they should start a new thread.)

UnLearnYourself

Post by UnLearnYourself » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:02 pm

Scerabi wrote:
This site has been extremely valuable
I can say this forum has proven invaluable for me, having been a member for about 9 years now (I'm 38).

Each time I feel that "I get it," I learn that there is yet another layer to peel back, incrementally becoming more informed and sophisticated, and empowering myself to understand and achieve my financial goals and the systems that we have to work within. I am repeatedly amazed and grateful for the time, energy, and expertise that so many of you graciously offer, and I do my best to pay it forward by sharing what I learn and advising others both on this forum and others.

I know I still have a ton to learn, and I plan to continue to lean on this space for many years to come. And if I ever get on the other side of this hill to a point where I consider myself an expert, I look forward to sharing what I've learned with others in the same way it has all been shared freely with me and this community.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:09 pm

I stay so when i decide to pull the trigger on a $5,000 watch i can get good advice without being called a troll.

Dinosaur Dad

Post by Dinosaur Dad » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:16 pm

UnLearnYourself wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:02 pm
Scerabi wrote:
This site has been extremely valuable
I can say this forum has proven invaluable for me, having been a member for about 9 years now (I'm 38).

Each time I feel that "I get it," I learn that there is yet another layer to peel back, incrementally becoming more informed and sophisticated, and empowering myself to understand and achieve my financial goals and the systems that we have to work within. I am repeatedly amazed and grateful for the time, energy, and expertise that so many of you graciously offer, and I do my best to pay it forward by sharing what I learn and advising others both on this forum and others.

I know I still have a ton to learn, and I plan to continue to lean on this space for many years to come. And if I ever get on the other side of this hill to a point where I consider myself an expert, I look forward to sharing what I've learned with others in the same way it has all been shared freely with me and this community.

+1 excellent thoughts. Couldn't agree more, and I'm 25+ years older than Scerabi, at a different lifestage, looking at different things.

and not only "so much to learn" but many roads to get to your goals. Seeing the options others have chosen, and what they learned along the way, is invaluable.
"Take calculated risks - that is quite different from being rash." | General George S. Patton

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:17 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:53 am
It takes very little reading to become comfortable with a basic, fundamentally sound, investment strategy.

What I come here for are inspiration, unbiased advice, and good-natured banter with mostly like-minded people who most importantly are willing to help. Many things discussed here are not talked about openly with even the closest of friends.
+1

I just enjoy reading the forums.

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:19 pm

retired@50 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:47 am
Watty wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:34 am
This.^^^
I just want to help, even if it's not my family. I feel as if spending time on this site and contributing where I can is sort of my Financial Volunteer program. Plus, I learn stuff, which I like.

Regards,
This is a good summary of my interest in the Forum.

I also find value in our local Bogleheads group. While we don’t meet as often as I visit the Forum, I find that the issues (and the answers) are the same for the local group as on the Forum. Plus, it’s nice to find that there are a lot of like-minded people in the local community.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

celia

Post by celia » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:30 pm

UnLearnYourself wrote:
...And if I ever get on the other side of this hill to a point where I consider myself an expert, I look forward to sharing what I've learned with others in the same way it has all been shared freely with me and this community.
You don't have to be an "expert" to answer questions. Most of us aren't. I learned a long time ago that when you learned something and are then confident with it, the best way to reinforce it is to explain/help someone else with it. For example, if you just learned about the Backdoor Roth last month and did one yourself, you can now help a new person who comes along and asks a question about it. You will easily relate to the "newbee" and after having helped, will feel better having spread the knowledge. Meanwhile, those who are more experienced on it can answer the questions on "what to do when you mess up".

And don't worry about your answer being 100% right. Someone likely will come along and comment on that part, so both you and the original poster can learn.

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:46 pm

Scerab:

I have learned far more from reading the Bogleheads forum than the relatively small amount of advice I have given.

Best wishes
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "An investor with minimal curiosity will learn that the shortest and surest route to top-quartile performance is bottom-quartile expenses.
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:54 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:46 pm
Scerab:

I have learned far more from reading the Bogleheads forum than the relatively small amount of advice I have given.

Best wishes
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "An investor with minimal curiosity will learn that the shortest and surest route to top-quartile performance is bottom-quartile expenses.
+1 Same here. :wink:
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:57 pm

Sage16 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:54 am
I continue to find value from a wide variety of topics here. Everything from travel pants, to moving a HSA accounts to Fidelity, to Chase CSR cards to what do to when Vanguard closed their Advantage account, to cutting the cord, etc, etc, etc. There is so much open sharing and experience on the best way to find value for your dollars on this forum that goes way beyond determining what your asset allocation should be.
+1

I wouldn't have discovered Prana Zion pants if not for a "non-investing" thread. :wink:

If someone doesn't need investing advice, just read the non-investing threads. Priceless.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words: Whole food, plant based

Mactheriverrat
Location: Works on the Mississippi River on the barges. Live's in Little Rock, AR.

Post by Mactheriverrat » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:03 pm

+ me 2
Bogleheads has become my new addiction . Its like the 1980's movie "War games" where the computer is playing tic-tac-toe by itself. Its drawing more and more power from the loop as it learns tic-tac-toe.
Everything evolves. | May Every Sunrise Bring You Hope. May Every Sunset Bring you Peace.

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:16 pm

I find reading threads not nearly as mentally destructive as replying to them. Reading noise here or watching it on CNBC is the same to me. Replying to it here seems to allow it to start seeping into my thinking. So I periodically take a hiatus from replying to threads. I find it healthy and refreshing. I ask myself If I have a solid plan why do I want to participate in discussions discouraging me from following through? To me the obvious answer is you don't.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:34 pm

I really try to pay attention to the quote (and I don't recall who said it):

"You have to know what you don't know", or words to that effect.

There's a lot of wisdom in those words.

Once you know what you don't know, you most likely can come here and learn it.

Boglehead on.

UnLearnYourself

Post by UnLearnYourself » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:00 pm

celia wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:30 pm
UnLearnYourself wrote:
...And if I ever get on the other side of this hill to a point where I consider myself an expert, I look forward to sharing what I've learned with others in the same way it has all been shared freely with me and this community.
You don't have to be an "expert" to answer questions. Most of us aren't. I learned a long time ago that when you learned something and are then confident with it, the best way to reinforce it is to explain/help someone else with it. For example, if you just learned about the Backdoor Roth last month and did one yourself, you can now help a new person who comes along and asks a question about it. You will easily relate to the "newbee" and after having helped, will feel better having spread the knowledge. Meanwhile, those who are more experienced on it can answer the questions on "what to do when you mess up".

And don't worry about your answer being 100% right. Someone likely will come along and comment on that part, so both you and the original poster can learn.
Thanks for the little vote of confidence, all valid points as well.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:30 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:46 pm
Scerab:

Best wishes
Taylor ...
And it's good to remember that much of the advice on the forum comes from people like you, Taylor, and also Mel, Rick Ferri, Larry Swedroe, Jonathan Clements, Bill Bernstein, Jason Zweig, and many more pros. In many ways, certainly for me, you all are the ones who help guide the advice from the rest of us.
John Bogle on his often bumpy road to low-cost indexing: "When a door closes, if you look long enough and hard enough, if you're strong enough, you'll find a window that opens."

anon3838

Post by anon3838 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:19 pm

Schlabba wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:15 am
anon3838 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:41 am
Quercus Palustris wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:45 am
Came for the investment advice, staying for the furniture and power tools advice :beer
...and the lengthy discussion about a $5k watch! The best!
As soon as I reach my number I’ll start saving for a ridiculously expensive watch. I’ll make sure to post about it as well!
Or you could start the thread now. There will be many opinions to consider. :beer :D

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:29 pm

Every time I try to buy a bobble head, my browser autocompletes and sends me here.

But seriously I have some great investing peace of mind from bh
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:04 pm

My portfolio is set and my asset allocation is set. I will not change my long-term investing strategy and am no longer here to learn about that.

But as time passes new considerations arise and opportunities present themselves. This may involve changes in tax policy, private health insurance rules, retirement account withdrawal rules, etc. The subjects are endless and always changing. There is always a great deal that I can learn and benefit from and for that reason I will likely pay close attention to Bogleheads.org for a long time to come. I may not learn all the answers here but even when I don't I will likely get a valuable 'heads up' about subjects that I need to research further.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:16 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:22 am
dratkinson wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:53 pm
Came for the help. Stayed to help.

During my investor education, I was forced to learn my true risk tolerance. Too little risk and I'm bored enough to be dangerous to my wealth. Too much risk and I worry enough to backslide. Took a while to learn what was "just right". Don't mind sharing my experience if it helps new investors put bounds on their choices, and they understand that it's okay for them to chance their minds and direction after more learning and experience.

Serendipity. One day, read about a member's simple script used to do monthly rebalancing. Gave me the idea to incorporate something similar, as trigger events (=if condition...), alerts (..."Do this."), and comments (Notes: Why action is needed.) into my Excel investment tracking workbook. Life is sooo much easier now that Excel is doing my checking and remembering.

I've also appreciated learning from others' experiences with favorite coffees and kitchen knives.

So while I'm frequently on the forum, it's now more for entertainment (learning something interesting) and helping where I can. Haven't needed any investment help for a long time.
+1
Your posts awhile back on "Tier Fund Placement" were great. Should be in the "Wiki".
j :happy
Thanks. But I didn't create anything new, merely tailored for my situation, existing Wiki/forum advice:
--Wiki topic on emergency funds.
--Senior advice that we don't need a dedicated EF if we have "Enough", as defined by us.
--Retiree advice to keep 5yr of living expenses safe to avoid sequence of return risk.

I'm pleased if you found my synthesis helpful.

I also have noticed that since your more recent forum joining and review, that you've been providing yeoman service in answering newbie questions. I recall entering more than one request-for-help topic and seeing that your reply addressed all of their questions, so backed out knowing that "you go this". I had nothing else to add.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

thinair

Post by thinair » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:18 am

As a newer member who has read hundreds (thousands?) of posts since joining, my learning curve is starting to flatten out but I'll keep reading.

I look at it this way. What are the:
Costs of reading BH.org if you don't learn anything new/useful? Small- some time.
Benefits of reading BH.org if you do learn something new/useful? Potentially large ($$).

Even if I learn one new nugget a week or month, it's money in the bank (or VG or…).

CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:39 am

Jmustang81 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:22 am
LadyGeek wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:59 am
Jmustang81 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:35 am
This is my first post ever on Bogleheads! I finally feel I've found a place where I can post the many questions I have on investing. I'm currently reading (listening technically) Boggleheads- Guide to Investing. I started by changing my spending patterns by reading Dave Ramsey, Rich Dad Poor Dad, and Millionaire Next Door.

I'm in my upper 30's. I've told my wife that over the last year I've went thru a mid-life crisis. I didnt go out and by a BMW. Instead, I went and rolled my previous employers 401k's into Vanguard. Sure glad I did! Also, I've been tasked with the managing of my parents multi-million estate. This has forced me financially educate myself more then average joe. Many questions to come shortly!

Thanks everyone!
Welcome! First things first. Start with the wiki: Getting started

When you're ready, start a thread in the Personal Investments forum using the Asking Portfolio Questions format. It will make you think about the "big picture" while giving us the information we need to point you in the right direction.

Ask all of your questions in that single thread so we'll know what was previously discussed.
Thank you LadyGeek. I've already started putting together my post using the Asking Portfolio Question format and is requiring a significant amount of time. (Perfectly fine) My only issue is that I'm unable to find the expense ratios on the last monthly brokerage statement. There are easily over 50+ funds/products. Is that alright?
If you are in funds like vanguard Total Stock Market or Total International, most people already know the ERs. If you are in managed funds or more expensive funds, it's probably a good idea to list your ERs so people can tell you if your funds are too expensive. If you are listing funds offered by your plan so people can help you chose, just list the index funds and the target date funds and their ERs. I can virtually guarantee that no one will suggest you invest in something like Lazard Emerging Markets at 1.09% :)

If you can't find ERs on your statements, just Google it. If you have iShares or Vanguard funds (and probably Fidelity, Schwab etc too), they list the ERs on their website.

Welcome to the forum :)

Pete12

Post by Pete12 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:50 am

I spend 5 to 10 mins per day and have a scan through the posts, there are always one or two that pique my interest. At this point my IPS is set but as I get older I am sure I will need more guidance.

I don’t read any posts on “How much international?”, “Should I pay down my mortgage?”, or “Vanguard vs Fidelity?”

I find tremendous value in the personal consumer section and have learned many things there, also try and chime in with my own posts whenever I can.

Of course one of the most useful threads of all time on Bogleheads is the (now infamous) Costco rotisserie chicken discussion!! viewtopic.php?f=11&t=196313

:sharebeer

Topic Author
Scerabi

Post by Scerabi » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:28 pm

Thank you everyone! Both the quality and quantity of responses have wildly exceeded my expectations and have given me a seven new topics to research.

Does there happen to be a post or Wiki section somewhere that addresses: "The Next Steps: Topics to explore once you've allocated your investments and crafted a retirement plan you think you'll be sticking with long term."

Carol88888

Post by Carol88888 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:03 pm

Schlabba wrote:
anon3838 wrote:
Quercus Palustris wrote:
Came for the investment advice, staying for the furniture and power tools advice :beer
As soon as I reach my number I’ll start saving for a ridiculously expensive watch. I’ll make sure to post about it as well!
Am I the only person who thought that "furniture" and "power tools" referred to some fancy financial websites I hadn't checked out?

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:24 pm

Scerabi wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:28 pm
Thank you everyone! Both the quality and quantity of responses have wildly exceeded my expectations and have given me a seven new topics to research.

Does there happen to be a post or Wiki section somewhere that addresses: "The Next Steps: Topics to explore once you've allocated your investments and crafted a retirement plan you think you'll be sticking with long term."
If you've got your investments on-track, I recommend taking a look at personal finance. An important topic many readers skip over is: Estate planning

Do you have your legal and financial affairs prepared in case something bad happens? Not just a will, but an advanced care directive (living will), medical power of attorney, standby power of attorney. You'll need someone to legally step-in on your behalf to pay the bills and handle your affairs if you are unable to do so.

Estate planning is discussed in the Personal Finance (Not Investing) forum.

If you are looking for something to read in the wiki, here's the complete outline: Help:Navigation
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

NearlyRetired

Post by NearlyRetired » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:25 pm

Carol88888 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:03 pm
Schlabba wrote:
anon3838 wrote:
Quercus Palustris wrote:
Am I the only person who thought that "furniture" and "power tools" referred to some fancy financial websites I hadn't checked out?
Nope :oops:
To err is to be human, to really mess up, use a computer

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:36 pm

Cycle wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:29 pm
Every time I try to buy a bobble head, my browser autocompletes and sends me here.

But seriously I have some great investing peace of mind from bh
Cycle post:

I have one Bogle bobble head still in its original display package. The price remains at $1,000 and is deductible to you because your contribution will go to The John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy.

Best wishes.
Taylor
John C. Bogle Words of Wisdom: "I wish I had more money to give to charity."
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle