Ghosted by Best Buy?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Post Reply
Topic Author
SurfCityBill
Posts: 498
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 10:15 pm

Ghosted by Best Buy?

Post by SurfCityBill » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:12 pm

I've been in the working world for many years and the process I'm familiar with for leaving an employer, whether it be voluntary or not, has always been about the same. One party basically informs the other that the relationship is over. I've read of recent instances where an employee will simply stop showing up and not provide any notice whatsoever that they do not intend to work at a company anymore. Any attempt to contact the employee is unsuccessful. An action that has been coined as "ghosting." I consider this an unfortunate and inconsiderate action on the part of the employee.

Which bring me to my question? Is this becoming commonplace by both the employer and the employee? My son took a seasonal position at Best Buy. They never really made it clear how long the season would be or when it might end although one would assume it would end after the holidays. As it was a seasonal position scheduling of his days/hours were sporadic and occurred strictly online. He'd check whatever account they had set up for him and he'd show up accordingly. At a certain point he no longer received any further scheduling. Not that he was overly concerned as he planned to move on to other things anyway, but, perhaps other employees may be surprised or inconvenienced by this.

Personally, I would have thought he would have received some sort of email/notification saying thanks for your service, we no longer need you, have a good life, but no, nothing. Anyone experience a similar situation?

fposte
Posts: 1757
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:32 pm

Re: Ghosted by Best Buy?

Post by fposte » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:14 pm

I think that's pretty common these days in retail/fast food; they just stop putting somebody on the schedule if they don't need them.

stoptothink
Posts: 6791
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Ghosted by Best Buy?

Post by stoptothink » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:18 pm

fposte wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:14 pm
I think that's pretty common these days in retail/fast food; they just stop putting somebody on the schedule if they don't need them.
That's what happened to my 16yr old sister at McDonald's a few months ago. They just stopped putting her on the schedule, never actually told her she no longer had a job. That being said, they had a valid reason to fire her and she was well aware.

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 58601
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Ghosted by Best Buy?

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:19 pm

I removed an off-topic interchange. As a reminder, see: General Etiquette
We expect this forum to be a place where people can feel comfortable asking questions and where debates and discussions are conducted in civil tones.

...At all times we must conduct ourselves in a respectful manner to other posters.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

123
Posts: 5384
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:55 pm

Re: Ghosted by Best Buy?

Post by 123 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:20 pm

Maybe they don't want the employee to know they are unemployed. If they know they were now unemployed they might file for unemployment benefits, potentially a cost to the employer. I wonder how this plays out with employers required to notify employees about unemployment benefits when they are no longer employed. Perhaps the employer doesn't consider them unemployed, just on hiatus until the next holiday season.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

shess
Posts: 346
Joined: Wed May 17, 2017 12:02 am

Re: Ghosted by Best Buy?

Post by shess » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:30 pm

fposte wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:14 pm
I think that's pretty common these days in retail/fast food; they just stop putting somebody on the schedule if they don't need them.
Keep in mind that a person is probably doing the scheduling. If they had a management change or something, and your son was getting low hours, and they're currently operating with sufficient people, it's possible whoever is making the schedule doesn't even know about the situation. IMHO, couldn't hurt to ask.

Pinotage
Posts: 292
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:02 am
Location: Springfield

Re: Ghosted by Best Buy?

Post by Pinotage » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:33 pm

My previous, possibly snarky, reply was deleted. Probably a good call.

OP - if you want to know why the schedule changed, call Best Buy and ask. Better yet, have your son call.

Good Luck.

privateer79
Posts: 124
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:21 am

Re: Ghosted by Best Buy?

Post by privateer79 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:44 pm

you can judge the relevance of this yourself:

I had a cousin that worked for Best Buy while in high school (apparently made friends with coworkers, did a pretty decent job and specialized in one of the "sections" of the store) she stayed in touch with the manager and would work there on and off over winter breaks and some summers throughout the college years. sometimes just popping in for a week or two of work.

I imagine just leaving folks in the system facilitates arrangements like that as it might not be worth all the on-boarding HR work to bring someone in for just a week of work.

randomguy
Posts: 8501
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:00 am

Re: Ghosted by Best Buy?

Post by randomguy » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:48 pm

123 wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:20 pm
Maybe they don't want the employee to know they are unemployed. If they know they were now unemployed they might file for unemployment benefits, potentially a cost to the employer. I wonder how this plays out with employers required to notify employees about unemployment benefits when they are no longer employed. Perhaps the employer doesn't consider them unemployed, just on hiatus until the next holiday season.
For seasonal workers that is probably less of an issue as a lot of them (very state/situation dependant) aren't eligible. What I want to know is if the employee best buy discount still works?:) It seems like both parties would like a pretty clean break but maybe they keep these old people around and when someone quits they try to schedule them again.

quantAndHold
Posts: 3517
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:39 pm

Re: Ghosted by Best Buy?

Post by quantAndHold » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:29 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:18 pm
fposte wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:14 pm
I think that's pretty common these days in retail/fast food; they just stop putting somebody on the schedule if they don't need them.
That's what happened to my 16yr old sister at McDonald's a few months ago. They just stopped putting her on the schedule, never actually told her she no longer had a job. That being said, they had a valid reason to fire her and she was well aware.
That’s been happening for eons. I had a pizza place do it to me in the 80’s. They didn’t want me anymore (for some very good reasons), and instead of firing me, they just stopped scheduling me.

As far as collecting unemployment, it’s unlikely a seasonal temp would qualify for unemployment.

If son wants to know what’s going on, he should call his manager and ask.

Kagord
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:28 pm

Re: Ghosted by Best Buy?

Post by Kagord » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:36 pm

hmm, large retail organization, complex HR software and processes trying to handle labor laws in 50 states, SOX, high employee churn, probably stressed out managers from the busy season. What could possibly go wrong?

All kidding aside, I don't think it's likely this would be a standard or a condoned practice at a publicly traded large retail company, but yes, somebody(s) screwed up with the terming process. :oops:

Speaking from corporate America, the last thing we want is to be on the front page news because of things like this, and having to say, "We're looking into our processes and will address".

stan1
Posts: 7975
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:35 pm

Re: Ghosted by Best Buy?

Post by stan1 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:00 am

I'm guessing the attorneys have decided this is the lowest risk approach. He was a seasonal hire and the season is over. If he wants to continue working there he should contact the manager who knew his work performance the best (preferably in person) and let that person know what he'd like to do. Under no circumstances should parents do this for him unless he has a disability that would prevent him from doing it himself.

User avatar
Kenkat
Posts: 5468
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Ghosted by Best Buy?

Post by Kenkat » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:07 am

It is also possible based on experience with my own kids that they told them how it would work at an orientation or in some piece of printed orientation material and they just missed it. My kids are good overall but are still learning how some of these things work. You’ve got to pay attention, ask questions, speak up, etc. They are all a little nervous with these new situations and things get missed.

A call or email or text to an old manager saying hey Mr/Ms Manager, if you ever need someone to fill in, let me know, I’m available would be advisable.

My youngest son got his first high school job because I made him email a contact after he applied online. No word after his application but a day after the email was sent, he’s going in for an interview and got the job. These companies are always looking for people but you’ve got to stand out a bit from the crowd.

User avatar
unclescrooge
Posts: 4154
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:00 pm

Re: Ghosted by Best Buy?

Post by unclescrooge » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:10 am

stoptothink wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:18 pm
fposte wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:14 pm
I think that's pretty common these days in retail/fast food; they just stop putting somebody on the schedule if they don't need them.
That's what happened to my 16yr old sister at McDonald's a few months ago. They just stopped putting her on the schedule, never actually told her she no longer had a job. That being said, they had a valid reason to fire her and she was well aware.
So instead of actually firing her, they just took her off the schedule?

quantAndHold
Posts: 3517
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:39 pm

Re: Ghosted by Best Buy?

Post by quantAndHold » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:59 am

unclescrooge wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:10 am
stoptothink wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:18 pm
fposte wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:14 pm
I think that's pretty common these days in retail/fast food; they just stop putting somebody on the schedule if they don't need them.
That's what happened to my 16yr old sister at McDonald's a few months ago. They just stopped putting her on the schedule, never actually told her she no longer had a job. That being said, they had a valid reason to fire her and she was well aware.
So instead of actually firing her, they just took her off the schedule?
I think people who haven’t worked in fast food (or any minimum wage job) don’t understand how bad it really is. They only fire people for cause (usually stealing), but the employee really has no job protections at all until they qualify for unemployment. But... company scheduling practices will often make it hard for people to qualify for unemployment.

If you’re troublesome in any way, they’ll just take you off the schedule, and you have no recourse.

stoptothink
Posts: 6791
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Ghosted by Best Buy?

Post by stoptothink » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:05 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:10 am
stoptothink wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:18 pm
fposte wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:14 pm
I think that's pretty common these days in retail/fast food; they just stop putting somebody on the schedule if they don't need them.
That's what happened to my 16yr old sister at McDonald's a few months ago. They just stopped putting her on the schedule, never actually told her she no longer had a job. That being said, they had a valid reason to fire her and she was well aware.
So instead of actually firing her, they just took her off the schedule?
Yes, and from my understanding this isn't at all uncommon.

User avatar
unclescrooge
Posts: 4154
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:00 pm

Re: Ghosted by Best Buy?

Post by unclescrooge » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:14 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:59 am
unclescrooge wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:10 am
stoptothink wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:18 pm
fposte wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:14 pm
I think that's pretty common these days in retail/fast food; they just stop putting somebody on the schedule if they don't need them.
That's what happened to my 16yr old sister at McDonald's a few months ago. They just stopped putting her on the schedule, never actually told her she no longer had a job. That being said, they had a valid reason to fire her and she was well aware.
So instead of actually firing her, they just took her off the schedule?
I think people who haven’t worked in fast food (or any minimum wage job) don’t understand how bad it really is. They only fire people for cause (usually stealing), but the employee really has no job protections at all until they qualify for unemployment. But... company scheduling practices will often make it hard for people to qualify for unemployment.

If you’re troublesome in any way, they’ll just take you off the schedule, and you have no recourse.
That's terrible. What precludes someone from closing unemployment?

Lafder
Posts: 4016
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:56 pm
Location: East of the Rio Grande

Re: Ghosted by Best Buy?

Post by Lafder » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:20 pm

Yes I have seen this a number of times. I work with teens and young adults.

The alternative is being placed on the worst shifts, with only one or two shifts a week. Not enough to earn income to support yourself on, but also not fired. It is a passive aggressive way to force someone to get a new job.

I also often see employees asking for specific things such as around school schedule and are told it will be accommodated, but it isn't and they have to find coverage every time the schedule comes out "Oh, we won't schedule you next time" then they do again.

My other personal favorite.........working the late closing shift then being scheduled the immediate early am opening shift, multiple times in a row. This I saw with my daughter. Though I was also glad at the same time, since I figured it would make her stronger and motivated to work harder at school :)

lafder

stan1
Posts: 7975
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:35 pm

Re: Ghosted by Best Buy?

Post by stan1 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:25 pm

"Welcome to the Real World" outside the 99th percentile bubble.

fposte
Posts: 1757
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:32 pm

Re: Ghosted by Best Buy?

Post by fposte » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:27 pm

Lafder wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:20 pm
Yes I have seen this a number of times. I work with teens and young adults.

The alternative is being placed on the worst shifts, with only one or two shifts a week. Not enough to earn income to support yourself on, but also not fired. It is a passive aggressive way to force someone to get a new job.

I also often see employees asking for specific things such as around school schedule and are told it will be accommodated, but it isn't and they have to find coverage every time the schedule comes out "Oh, we won't schedule you next time" then they do again.

My other personal favorite.........working the late closing shift then being scheduled the immediate early am opening shift, multiple times in a row. This I saw with my daughter. Though I was also glad at the same time, since I figured it would make her stronger and motivated to work harder at school :)

lafder
Ah, the dread "clopen." I believe NYC has actually banned that.

stoptothink
Posts: 6791
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Ghosted by Best Buy?

Post by stoptothink » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:34 pm

stan1 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:25 pm
"Welcome to the Real World" outside the 99th percentile bubble.
Exactly. I thought this was just an accepted part of having a job until you developed skills which brought real value to a business.

Johnny Thinwallet
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:07 pm

Re: Ghosted by Best Buy?

Post by Johnny Thinwallet » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:25 pm

Jobs like that too often treat employees poorly. Then those same employers grumble when employees turn around and treat the job poorly.

One of my many high school/college jobs was at a Toys R Us warehouse distribution center during my first year of college. I worked there for six months from 2000-01, averaging about 15/hrs per week. Then I ended up moving across town so I turned in a two week notice as it wasn't worth driving 30 minutes each way for a part-time college job at $9/hour.

I had a very good relationship with my supervisor and my final two weeks was actually during a break from school. She asked me if I would be willing to work a few more hours during my final two weeks since I had a break from school. I saw it as an opportunity to make some extra cash before resigning so I agreed to work 30 hours each of those final two weeks.

Fast forward to Monday of the following week. After my six hour shift, I'm told HR wants to see me upstairs. I walk in to a room and I'm told to sit down across the table from a guy in a suit that I'd never seen before. He informs me I'm being laid off. I told him I already turned in a notice and my last day was Friday of the following week - couldn't they just let me work these final two weeks? His response was "that's not in the budget." I said all I had left was 54 hours at $9/hour - a grand total of $486. I actually told him that exact dollar amount - $486 - and asked again. He reiterated that $486 in payroll wasn't in the budget and that I needed to leave immediately.

After walking out of the HR guy's office, one of my supervisors ran after me and apologized. She said she tried to convince them to keep me on the last two weeks, but that they wouldn't listen and that she was sorry she couldn't do more. Turns out they were cutting people all day long, and I was one of many.

So at the age of 19, in a matter of days I went from being asked to work extra hours to being laid off. It was a Corporate America lesson at a young age that everyone's always expendable, even at a paltry amount of $486.

quantAndHold
Posts: 3517
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:39 pm

Re: Ghosted by Best Buy?

Post by quantAndHold » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:33 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:14 pm
quantAndHold wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:59 am
unclescrooge wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:10 am
stoptothink wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:18 pm
fposte wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:14 pm
I think that's pretty common these days in retail/fast food; they just stop putting somebody on the schedule if they don't need them.
That's what happened to my 16yr old sister at McDonald's a few months ago. They just stopped putting her on the schedule, never actually told her she no longer had a job. That being said, they had a valid reason to fire her and she was well aware.
So instead of actually firing her, they just took her off the schedule?
I think people who haven’t worked in fast food (or any minimum wage job) don’t understand how bad it really is. They only fire people for cause (usually stealing), but the employee really has no job protections at all until they qualify for unemployment. But... company scheduling practices will often make it hard for people to qualify for unemployment.

If you’re troublesome in any way, they’ll just take you off the schedule, and you have no recourse.
That's terrible. What precludes someone from closing unemployment?
Not having worked enough hours or made enough dollars to qualify. Companies know the state laws and will hire 2-3x as many people as they actually need, to make sure that nobody gets enough hours to qualify for things like unemployment or disability or sick leave.

Edit to add...In college, I was a mediocre student at best, and would have gladly dropped out, but being treated like that on a few jobs was what motivated me to finish college so that I could get a real job.

Topic Author
SurfCityBill
Posts: 498
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: Ghosted by Best Buy?

Post by SurfCityBill » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:59 pm

OP here- I appreciate all the insight. Years ago I read a book called "Nickel and Dimed", by Barbara Ehrenreich who spent a year undercover working and living off menial jobs to see what the experience was like for her and her co-workers. I found it to be quite insightful at the time and a fast read. It exposes a lot about how unfairly a lot of these people are treated. It is actually required reading in our local public school system for a couple reasons, I assume. So the students develop some empathy for that segment of the workforce and so they'll apply themselves in school and try to think bigger.

The real answer to my question in my sons situation would be for him to contact his supervisor and get a definitive answer. As I mentioned in the initial post he had plans to move on anyway and is not overly concerned or interested. Thus, getting him to follow through for my curious satisfaction is not likely to happen, although I'm going to encourage him to do so.

As a point of comparison, my younger daughter who is a full time student and works part time for a national chain smoothie store as a "lead", (pseudo supervisor) told me that when they don't feel the person is working out they do start with scheduling them less to minimize problems/etc and to see if they can improve and then if they no longer want them then the person is told in a meeting. She said her manager would never let someone go with just and email or a call.

It looks like a lot of the way a person is treated in these jobs, and every job really, depends on the character of who you're working for.

Thanks for your input.

User avatar
RickBoglehead
Posts: 5567
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am
Location: In a house

Re: Ghosted by Best Buy?

Post by RickBoglehead » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:29 pm

SurfCityBill wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:59 pm
It looks like a lot of the way a person is treated in these jobs, and every job really, depends on the character of who you're working for.

Thanks for your input.
You missed:

- the quality of the company
- the quality of training of management
- the existence of procedures and whether they are followed
- whether supervisors and managers are held to standards and measured against them

One of our sons worked for Best Buy also, and they weren't good at much. Suited him at the time, and they paid a majority of his MBA tuition.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

Topic Author
SurfCityBill
Posts: 498
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: Ghosted by Best Buy?

Post by SurfCityBill » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:43 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:29 pm
One of our sons worked for Best Buy also, and they weren't good at much. Suited him at the time, and they paid a majority of his MBA tuition.
I'm going to assume it was BB that wasn't good at much, and not your sons. :happy

User avatar
RickBoglehead
Posts: 5567
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am
Location: In a house

Re: Ghosted by Best Buy?

Post by RickBoglehead » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:58 pm

SurfCityBill wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:43 pm
RickBoglehead wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:29 pm
One of our sons worked for Best Buy also, and they weren't good at much. Suited him at the time, and they paid a majority of his MBA tuition.
I'm going to assume it was BB that wasn't good at much, and not your sons. :happy
:D
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

privateer79
Posts: 124
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:21 am

Re: Ghosted by Best Buy?

Post by privateer79 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:30 am

Johnny Thinwallet wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:25 pm
Jobs like that too often treat employees poorly. Then those same employers grumble when employees turn around and treat the job poorly.

One of my many high school/college jobs was at a Toys R Us warehouse distribution center during my first year of college. I worked there for six months from 2000-01, averaging about 15/hrs per week. Then I ended up moving across town so I turned in a two week notice as it wasn't worth driving 30 minutes each way for a part-time college job at $9/hour.

I had a very good relationship with my supervisor and my final two weeks was actually during a break from school. She asked me if I would be willing to work a few more hours during my final two weeks since I had a break from school. I saw it as an opportunity to make some extra cash before resigning so I agreed to work 30 hours each of those final two weeks.

Fast forward to Monday of the following week. After my six hour shift, I'm told HR wants to see me upstairs. I walk in to a room and I'm told to sit down across the table from a guy in a suit that I'd never seen before. He informs me I'm being laid off. I told him I already turned in a notice and my last day was Friday of the following week - couldn't they just let me work these final two weeks? His response was "that's not in the budget." I said all I had left was 54 hours at $9/hour - a grand total of $486. I actually told him that exact dollar amount - $486 - and asked again. He reiterated that $486 in payroll wasn't in the budget and that I needed to leave immediately.

After walking out of the HR guy's office, one of my supervisors ran after me and apologized. She said she tried to convince them to keep me on the last two weeks, but that they wouldn't listen and that she was sorry she couldn't do more. Turns out they were cutting people all day long, and I was one of many.

So at the age of 19, in a matter of days I went from being asked to work extra hours to being laid off. It was a Corporate America lesson at a young age that everyone's always expendable, even at a paltry amount of $486.
I wouldn't be surprised if there was additional backstory here... like "every department needed to fire 1 FTE person"... so by giving you a bunch of hours you became a FTE head which could then be sacrificed on the altar of "efficiency"... without it actually impacting anyone who was going to stay, or would really care.

User avatar
MaryO
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:36 am
Location: New Jersey

Re: Ghosted by Best Buy?

Post by MaryO » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:08 am

privateer79 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:30 am
Johnny Thinwallet wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:25 pm
Jobs like that too often treat employees poorly. Then those same employers grumble when employees turn around and treat the job poorly.

One of my many high school/college jobs was at a Toys R Us warehouse distribution center during my first year of college. I worked there for six months from 2000-01, averaging about 15/hrs per week. Then I ended up moving across town so I turned in a two week notice as it wasn't worth driving 30 minutes each way for a part-time college job at $9/hour.

I had a very good relationship with my supervisor and my final two weeks was actually during a break from school. She asked me if I would be willing to work a few more hours during my final two weeks since I had a break from school. I saw it as an opportunity to make some extra cash before resigning so I agreed to work 30 hours each of those final two weeks.

Fast forward to Monday of the following week. After my six hour shift, I'm told HR wants to see me upstairs. I walk in to a room and I'm told to sit down across the table from a guy in a suit that I'd never seen before. He informs me I'm being laid off. I told him I already turned in a notice and my last day was Friday of the following week - couldn't they just let me work these final two weeks? His response was "that's not in the budget." I said all I had left was 54 hours at $9/hour - a grand total of $486. I actually told him that exact dollar amount - $486 - and asked again. He reiterated that $486 in payroll wasn't in the budget and that I needed to leave immediately.

After walking out of the HR guy's office, one of my supervisors ran after me and apologized. She said she tried to convince them to keep me on the last two weeks, but that they wouldn't listen and that she was sorry she couldn't do more. Turns out they were cutting people all day long, and I was one of many.

So at the age of 19, in a matter of days I went from being asked to work extra hours to being laid off. It was a Corporate America lesson at a young age that everyone's always expendable, even at a paltry amount of $486.
I wouldn't be surprised if there was additional backstory here... like "every department needed to fire 1 FTE person"... so by giving you a bunch of hours you became a FTE head which could then be sacrificed on the altar of "efficiency"... without it actually impacting anyone who was going to stay, or would really care.
Back story or not, still an appalling way to treat a worker. I know these situations demonstrate a very different environment for kids and students trying to work part-time and go to school than my generation faced. (Yeah. Ok, Boomer) I'm 61 and work was tough to get, but once you broke in, hours were unlimited. Scheduling was done in consultation with managers, so I could work 40 hours a week but not have school conflicts. It was about mutual respect. If I demonstrated to my boss that I was valuable to his business & treated customers well, he'd understand my work/school conflicts and accommodate them. He was not forced to pay for healthcare, so he didn't need to hire large number of part-timers and offer really restricted schedules. That respect for employees is disappearing.

My son had to work 3 jobs one summer to make any money. One job was unloading trucks at the aforementioned Toys R Us. Setting the clock for 3AM wakeup, heading home after a 4 hour shift to get a bit of sleep before heading to his 2nd job. Working on weekends at another. The crazy sleep schedule masked symptoms of Lyme Disease, and he's lucky it was caught early or he'd be suffering long term complications.

My daughter's class had to read Nickle and Dimed, too. I really think there is a tendency to assume low skilled workers and the vast number of under-employed Millennials bring on their own troubles with bad attitudes, etc. I've seen enough unfair treatment (including the crazy number of H-1B visas issued) to feel sympathy for them.

I think the best reason for the OP's son to contact Best Buy is to have a definitive date of when his employment stopped. He'll need that for future job applications.

User avatar
Poorman
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:57 am

Re: Ghosted by Best Buy?

Post by Poorman » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:16 am

Perfectly normal. "Seasonal" is not highly trained, dispensable. Be happy he made a few bucks, and has experience on future resume.

Turbo29
Posts: 613
Joined: Tue May 01, 2018 7:12 am

Re: Ghosted by Best Buy?

Post by Turbo29 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:24 am

stoptothink wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:34 pm
stan1 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:25 pm
"Welcome to the Real World" outside the 99th percentile bubble.
Exactly. I thought this was just an accepted part of having a job until you developed skills which brought real value to a business.
You might not think they are bringing "real value" but none of those businesses could function at all without those employees.

stoptothink
Posts: 6791
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Ghosted by Best Buy?

Post by stoptothink » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:26 am

MaryO wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:08 am
privateer79 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:30 am
Johnny Thinwallet wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:25 pm
Jobs like that too often treat employees poorly. Then those same employers grumble when employees turn around and treat the job poorly.

One of my many high school/college jobs was at a Toys R Us warehouse distribution center during my first year of college. I worked there for six months from 2000-01, averaging about 15/hrs per week. Then I ended up moving across town so I turned in a two week notice as it wasn't worth driving 30 minutes each way for a part-time college job at $9/hour.

I had a very good relationship with my supervisor and my final two weeks was actually during a break from school. She asked me if I would be willing to work a few more hours during my final two weeks since I had a break from school. I saw it as an opportunity to make some extra cash before resigning so I agreed to work 30 hours each of those final two weeks.

Fast forward to Monday of the following week. After my six hour shift, I'm told HR wants to see me upstairs. I walk in to a room and I'm told to sit down across the table from a guy in a suit that I'd never seen before. He informs me I'm being laid off. I told him I already turned in a notice and my last day was Friday of the following week - couldn't they just let me work these final two weeks? His response was "that's not in the budget." I said all I had left was 54 hours at $9/hour - a grand total of $486. I actually told him that exact dollar amount - $486 - and asked again. He reiterated that $486 in payroll wasn't in the budget and that I needed to leave immediately.

After walking out of the HR guy's office, one of my supervisors ran after me and apologized. She said she tried to convince them to keep me on the last two weeks, but that they wouldn't listen and that she was sorry she couldn't do more. Turns out they were cutting people all day long, and I was one of many.

So at the age of 19, in a matter of days I went from being asked to work extra hours to being laid off. It was a Corporate America lesson at a young age that everyone's always expendable, even at a paltry amount of $486.
I wouldn't be surprised if there was additional backstory here... like "every department needed to fire 1 FTE person"... so by giving you a bunch of hours you became a FTE head which could then be sacrificed on the altar of "efficiency"... without it actually impacting anyone who was going to stay, or would really care.
Back story or not, still an appalling way to treat a worker. I know these situations demonstrate a very different environment for kids and students trying to work part-time and go to school than my generation faced. (Yeah. Ok, Boomer) I'm 61 and work was tough to get, but once you broke in, hours were unlimited. Scheduling was done in consultation with managers, so I could work 40 hours a week but not have school conflicts. It was about mutual respect. If I demonstrated to my boss that I was valuable to his business & treated customers well, he'd understand my work/school conflicts and accommodate them. He was not forced to pay for healthcare, so he didn't need to hire large number of part-timers and offer really restricted schedules. That respect for employees is disappearing.

My son had to work 3 jobs one summer to make any money. One job was unloading trucks at the aforementioned Toys R Us. Setting the clock for 3AM wakeup, heading home after a 4 hour shift to get a bit of sleep before heading to his 2nd job. Working on weekends at another. The crazy sleep schedule masked symptoms of Lyme Disease, and he's lucky it was caught early or he'd be suffering long term complications.

My daughter's class had to read Nickle and Dimed, too. I really think there is a tendency to assume low skilled workers and the vast number of under-employed Millennials bring on their own troubles with bad attitudes, etc. I've seen enough unfair treatment (including the crazy number of H-1B visas issued) to feel sympathy for them.

I think the best reason for the OP's son to contact Best Buy is to have a definitive date of when his employment stopped. He'll need that for future job applications.
I seriously doubt that overall it has changed, my parents and in-laws (your age) have plenty of stories of being "mistreated" by employers when they were young too. In fact, some of the things I have seen my 16yr old sister ("ghosted" by McDs and now at Taco Bell) get away with because employers are afraid of being sued now would have never flied with the jobs I had when I was her age (20yrs ago).

stoptothink
Posts: 6791
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Ghosted by Best Buy?

Post by stoptothink » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:27 am

Turbo29 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:24 am
stoptothink wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:34 pm
stan1 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:25 pm
"Welcome to the Real World" outside the 99th percentile bubble.
Exactly. I thought this was just an accepted part of having a job until you developed skills which brought real value to a business.
You might not think they are bringing "real value" but none of those businesses could function at all without those employees.
But they could function with literally anybody off the street doing those jobs.

User avatar
MaryO
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:36 am
Location: New Jersey

Re: Ghosted by Best Buy?

Post by MaryO » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:56 am

stoptothink wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:27 am
Turbo29 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:24 am
stoptothink wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:34 pm
stan1 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:25 pm
"Welcome to the Real World" outside the 99th percentile bubble.
Exactly. I thought this was just an accepted part of having a job until you developed skills which brought real value to a business.
You might not think they are bringing "real value" but none of those businesses could function at all without those employees.
But they could function with literally anybody off the street doing those jobs.
I think this is a terrible way of thinking. Have you ever shopped at a retail place with a knucklehead operating the register? Compare it to a competent cashier who knows every detail of the system. He won't hold up the line for ten minutes trying to process a special order/delivery/refund/loyalty program discount/etc. He's quick and he doesn't damage your items when he puts them in the bag. (No cat litter on top of eggs like Bill Murray. That may be a joke only Boomers will get.) Very different experience than dealing with someone who can't even count back change.

Smart businesses know that competent employees are valuable and deserve respect, even if they are not in jobs requiring high skills. Half the time their value is simply good attitude. Nobody is going to maintain a good attitude if you let them know that their job could be done by "literally anybody off the street." Or drastically and unpredictably cut their hours.

stoptothink
Posts: 6791
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Ghosted by Best Buy?

Post by stoptothink » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:07 am

MaryO wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:56 am
stoptothink wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:27 am
Turbo29 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:24 am
stoptothink wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:34 pm
stan1 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:25 pm
"Welcome to the Real World" outside the 99th percentile bubble.
Exactly. I thought this was just an accepted part of having a job until you developed skills which brought real value to a business.
You might not think they are bringing "real value" but none of those businesses could function at all without those employees.
But they could function with literally anybody off the street doing those jobs.
Smart businesses know that competent employees are valuable and deserve respect, even if they are not in jobs requiring high skills. Half the time their value is simply good attitude. Nobody is going to maintain a good attitude if you let them know that their job could be done by "literally anybody off the street." Or drastically and unpredictably cut their hours.
No doubt, but have you ever actually managed individuals at a job like this? Most of the time, just getting people to show up regularly (not even perform at a competent level) is considered a win. I had that discussion with my 16yr old sister when she got her McD's job (starting $3/hr above minimum wage): just show up on time and they'll make you a shift manager in a year...of course, she was not able to do that (or refrain from going outside to play on her phone, while on the clock).

User avatar
MaryO
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:36 am
Location: New Jersey

Re: Ghosted by Best Buy?

Post by MaryO » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:32 am

stoptothink wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:07 am
MaryO wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:56 am
stoptothink wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:27 am
Turbo29 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:24 am
stoptothink wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:34 pm


Exactly. I thought this was just an accepted part of having a job until you developed skills which brought real value to a business.
You might not think they are bringing "real value" but none of those businesses could function at all without those employees.
But they could function with literally anybody off the street doing those jobs.
Smart businesses know that competent employees are valuable and deserve respect, even if they are not in jobs requiring high skills. Half the time their value is simply good attitude. Nobody is going to maintain a good attitude if you let them know that their job could be done by "literally anybody off the street." Or drastically and unpredictably cut their hours.
No doubt, but have you ever actually managed individuals at a job like this? Most of the time, just getting people to show up regularly (not even perform at a competent level) is considered a win. I had that discussion with my 16yr old sister when she got her McD's job (starting $3/hr above minimum wage): just show up on time and they'll make you a shift manager in a year...of course, she was not able to do that (or refrain from going outside to play on her phone, while on the clock).
I think you are making huge generalizations based on your sister's irresponsible & immature behavior. I hope she cleans up her act.
(Unsolicited parenting advice: Take away her smart phone. Switch her service to an old flip phone that she can use to get in touch for emergencies. That's a no-brainer for a kid who lost a job because of a phone addiction and no self control.)

Back to the OP -- His son was a solid worker. Didn't deserve to be ghosted, and if that's becoming a common practice in low level jobs, we have a problem. Corporations who do this are actually TRAINING young people to be irresponsible, uncommunicative, and uncommitted. If we make this the norm, how are employee/employer relations improved?

stoptothink
Posts: 6791
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Ghosted by Best Buy?

Post by stoptothink » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:00 pm

MaryO wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:32 am
stoptothink wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:07 am
MaryO wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:56 am
stoptothink wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:27 am
Turbo29 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:24 am


You might not think they are bringing "real value" but none of those businesses could function at all without those employees.
But they could function with literally anybody off the street doing those jobs.
Smart businesses know that competent employees are valuable and deserve respect, even if they are not in jobs requiring high skills. Half the time their value is simply good attitude. Nobody is going to maintain a good attitude if you let them know that their job could be done by "literally anybody off the street." Or drastically and unpredictably cut their hours.
No doubt, but have you ever actually managed individuals at a job like this? Most of the time, just getting people to show up regularly (not even perform at a competent level) is considered a win. I had that discussion with my 16yr old sister when she got her McD's job (starting $3/hr above minimum wage): just show up on time and they'll make you a shift manager in a year...of course, she was not able to do that (or refrain from going outside to play on her phone, while on the clock).
I think you are making huge generalizations based on your sister's irresponsible & immature behavior. I hope she cleans up her act.
(Unsolicited parenting advice: Take away her smart phone. Switch her service to an old flip phone that she can use to get in touch for emergencies. That's a no-brainer for a kid who lost a job because of a phone addiction and no self control.)

Back to the OP -- His son was a solid worker. Didn't deserve to be ghosted, and if that's becoming a common practice in low level jobs, we have a problem. Corporations who do this are actually TRAINING young people to be irresponsible, uncommunicative, and uncommitted. If we make this the norm, how are employee/employer relations improved?
That is my experience having managed hundreds of individuals in similar environments. I managed a Baskin Robbins (at 15 promoted after 3 months, managing people as old as 24), custodial team lead at my university (where at 17, I was the only employee under 30), shift manager at Home Depot (after having worked there for 2 months), and managing a large commercial gym (with 40+ employees at any given time); all before the age of 21. I hate to be pessimistic, but (in my experience) simply being trusted to show up and on time, puts you above 80% of employees in these positions. It's great to be a director in a professional atmosphere, where I can realistically expect employees to show up (almost all of them, but it's still a concern).

We have different perspectives; I don't see employers treating employees any differently then they ever have, I see a growing view that employers owe employees something - and that is probably exacerbated by the booming economy where it is increasingly difficult to find good employees because they have options. It is unfortunate that OP's son was treated like this (and I never have, and never will, consider treating an employee like this), but then again, all it would take to clarify the situation would be one phone call.

coachd50
Posts: 216
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:12 am

Re: Ghosted by Best Buy?

Post by coachd50 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:26 pm

MaryO wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:32 am
stoptothink wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:07 am
MaryO wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:56 am
stoptothink wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:27 am
Turbo29 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:24 am


You might not think they are bringing "real value" but none of those businesses could function at all without those employees.
But they could function with literally anybody off the street doing those jobs.
Smart businesses know that competent employees are valuable and deserve respect, even if they are not in jobs requiring high skills. Half the time their value is simply good attitude. Nobody is going to maintain a good attitude if you let them know that their job could be done by "literally anybody off the street." Or drastically and unpredictably cut their hours.
No doubt, but have you ever actually managed individuals at a job like this? Most of the time, just getting people to show up regularly (not even perform at a competent level) is considered a win. I had that discussion with my 16yr old sister when she got her McD's job (starting $3/hr above minimum wage): just show up on time and they'll make you a shift manager in a year...of course, she was not able to do that (or refrain from going outside to play on her phone, while on the clock).
I think you are making huge generalizations based on your sister's irresponsible & immature behavior. I hope she cleans up her act.
(Unsolicited parenting advice: Take away her smart phone. Switch her service to an old flip phone that she can use to get in touch for emergencies. That's a no-brainer for a kid who lost a job because of a phone addiction and no self control.)

Back to the OP -- His son was a solid worker. Didn't deserve to be ghosted, and if that's becoming a common practice in low level jobs, we have a problem. Corporations who do this are actually TRAINING young people to be irresponsible, uncommunicative, and uncommitted. If we make this the norm, how are employee/employer relations improved?
I would argue that the generalization is not that "huge" and is indeed reflective of the majority (51%) of employees at that level.
About 15 years ago, I worked briefly for a local franchise of Mcdonald's owner (7 restaurants) as a "hiring manager". Essentially trying to drum up the shredded labor force due to a natural disaster. It was eye opening. I would say that at least 60% of those who scheduled an interview didn't bother to show up to the interview--even thought I would call about an hour in advance just to confirm.

You are dealing with a level of the workforce with an extremely low set of soft skills.

MommaBear19
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:31 am

Re: Ghosted by Best Buy?

Post by MommaBear19 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:59 am

I'm really glad I found this topic. I got ghosted too. I'm 49 and I worked for Best Buy in a Regional Staff position from 1998-2000. Left after I had my child and had so many great memories. I needed a part time job and I was so excited to work in a store. I was hired as a seasonal customer specialist and assigned to the Appliance Dept. Told I would be guaranteed at least 10 hours a week and if they liked how I did...that I'd probably be offered a job at the end of the Holiday Season. My co workers were nice- told me that I should apply for a sales position in January and that I'd go for training on the other side of the state.

Did my online training and was told someone would call me with my schedule in a few days. That I would have several days of job shadowing/learn the register, etc. No one called me for 2 weeks and the lady who hired me apologized, said that the mgr was new in the department.

I followed folks around but didn't really learn much. I'd greet customers and get them to the sales folks. My schedule got messed up a bunch of times and I'd work every other week or so. Got the sense that my co workers liked me but my mgr didn't. I was older than him. I kept asking when I'd get my blue shirt and a name tag. It took 3 weeks to get a shirt- never got my tag.

Black Friday was the last day that I worked. I stopped in the next day because my hours disappeared from the schedule. One of my coworkers told me I'd gotten fired...but she was joking. My mgr wasn't in, I texted him and he said he'd "see" he could get me any more hours. Stopped by the next week...sorry no hours.. I heard that many of the hours got cut so I wasn't totally worried. By the next week I was angry and ashamed. Didn't get why I had no hours.

I didn't know what I'd done wrong and it was awkward when I'd stop in and I know my mgr was avoiding me. At that was happy to get my discount and I went into my store to do shopping but not near my department. One of my coworkers asked where I'd been and I said that I didn't get any more hours so I assumed they'd fired me. He told me they are really just unorganized and several of the mgrs. had been promoted to another store. I just didn't care any more.

I wanted to get more training and I have a great deal of retail and customer support experience. I wanted to grow with the company but no one wanted to teach me anything and I kept asking so I just gave up. I'm still salty about it.

DaftInvestor
Posts: 4841
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: Ghosted by Best Buy?

Post by DaftInvestor » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:24 am

What did the store manager tell him when he called and asked? He should have asked not only about the schedule (perhaps the answer had to do with post holiday slowdown) but also about his performance so if it was performance related he could course correct going forward.

forgeblast
Posts: 332
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:45 am
Location: PA
Contact:

Re: Ghosted by Best Buy?

Post by forgeblast » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:10 am

Normally January 1st until before Easter is a dead zone. Hours are cut way back and inventory starts. I worked retail as a second job, and it would get frustrating. The company would put me one once every 2 weeks during this time to make sure I was still an active employee. From their point of view, hours are cut, they want to keep their full time employees, and the part time take the hit.

User avatar
MaryO
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:36 am
Location: New Jersey

Re: Ghosted by Best Buy?

Post by MaryO » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:09 am

Obviously seasonal work starts to dry up after holidays. Sometimes quite abruptly. The problem kids face today from some of these store managers is failure to communicate. Let's face it, sometimes these store managers are not the best and the brightest. :wink:

As with any job, you learn as much about how to conduct yourself from the awful boss as from the awesome boss.

The crazy part about these low level jobs at big retail stores is the application process. Gone is the day when a kid could comb his hair, print out a resume and show up asking to see a manager. He now has to apply on line and complete a long psychological profile. At Toys R Us that consisted of 20 pages of questions, asking what you would do in a given situation. The interview was scheduled over a month after the forms were processed and the candidate had been chosen for the next step. It consisted of sitting in group interview sessions, being asked to collaboratively design a toy. Also taking a toy off the shelf and giving a presentation on why that was your favorite toy as a child and why. It was so involved, seemingly well designed, that we were amazed at how poorly the store was actually run. Surely the management had undergone a similar hiring process?

Post Reply