Dave Ramsey [“good growth mutual fund”]

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Re: Dave Ramsey [“good growth mutual fund”]

Post by nisiprius » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:14 pm

Far be it from me to read Dave Ramsey's mind, but in at least some cases, when he talks about what seem to be fund types or categories, they actually seem to be related to the names American gives to its funds. In other words, when he says "a good growth mutual fund" he might be thinking of American Growth Fund of America, and when he says "a growth and income fund" he might be thinking of American Funds Growth and Income Fund.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:41 pm

DR has also explained his 4 funds can be large cap, mid cap, small cap, and international (especially when explaining to people who are trying to find equivalent funds in their 401k).

Random Musings

Post by Random Musings » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:24 pm

People are getting fleeced by the 5.75% load if their advisor does that for them. At the least, you can conduit through their bond fund at a lower front end load, then switch to the funds of choice.

Also, for people with higher initial investments, the front end load costs are reduced.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ

knpstr

Re: Dave Ramsey

Post by knpstr » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:53 pm

Trader Joe wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:29 pm
Jags4186 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:58 pm
azanon wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:25 pm
Jags4186 wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:19 pm
deltaneutral83 wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:13 pm
No, he does not, he cites AIVSX frequently (which has beaten the S&P I think since 1932 most of which wasn't any time in the last 20 years). His mix of AIVSX/AMCPX/AMRMX/AGTHX for actively managed funds to compare against the S&P has been beaten by the S&P over 10/15 year intervals and is beaten even more in a taxable. It's also growth tilted which makes it even more implausible that it can't even keep up. His investment advice isn't perfect or ideal, but is still fine for 90% of investors on their equity portions. AF's do well in the active arena and the portfolio his managers preach about is about 70/30 Dom/Intl.
AISVX has done quite well and beaten the SP500 over the past 20 years even after accounting for the 5.25% front end load and expense ratio.

That mix of mutual funds you listed split 25% each has also outperformed the SP500 over the last 20 years by nearly 1.8%.
I'm not seeing that at all. I loaded up AIVSX vs. VFINX (Vanguard Index 500) back to as far as it will go (Jan 85' to Nov 2018) at portfoliovisualizer.com and it's showing 11.16% vs. 11.02% CAGR for AIVSX and VFINX, respectively. For all practical purposes, AIVSX performs the same as S&P 500. To its credit, it did do so with less standard deviation, slightly less max drawdown, and slightly higher sharpe ratio, and all of that despite the higher expense ratio.

In fairness, i did change the test range to 20 years since that's what you quoted for outperformance, and the outperformance for AIVSX was (only) 0.65% CAGR..... So nothing close to 1.8%.
AIVSX vs SP 500 last 20 years

4 Fund 25% split evenly vs SP 500 last 20 years

Thank you very much for posting this information. I have always wondered what investment Dave Ramsey was referring to. This is great information!
Just to note, the AIVSX vs VFINX was initial $10,000 and leaving it.
If you have an initial $10,000 and add $10,000 each year the S&P 500 wins by 0.17% CAGR - so the are virtually identical, but results changed in a more realistic scenario of accumulation phase. Same with the 4 fund one: the 4 fund beats S&P 500 by 0.31% - so again virtually identical.

Just a slight discrepancy but one that should be noted.
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

MBB_Boy

Post by MBB_Boy » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:43 am

Nate79 wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:41 pm
DR has also explained his 4 funds can be large cap, mid cap, small cap, and international (especially when explaining to people who are trying to find equivalent funds in their 401k).
Woah there, this is a DR BASHING thread. You're only allowed to give compliments if there is a "but" coming :D

But I agree with you. I'd also like to note that I've seen first hand what some ELPs do, and it's as you'd expect. Some are good, some are bad, and none would likely be boglehead recommended. FWIW, my mother used one for a while and was receiving reasonable funds, including index ones. But there were way too many (trying to impress with "diversity" of options), the ERs were middling (all less than 1% though), and the presence of a load was personally infuriating.

That said, when I helped her take control and shift over to Vanguard she was in much better shape than she could have been. Considering the alternative that I read on Reddit or even here when people get into their parent's finances.......I'm grateful overall. Her recentish husband recently came to me for advice, and was in a terrible situation of variable annuitities stuffed in an IRA with an insane fee structure. Actually made a post on it. So yeah........wish he had been using an ELP the past 40 years.

BUT.....both would have been even better off with a simple 3 fund portfolio :beer

Razasharpz

Post by Razasharpz » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:57 pm

Just read Dave Ramsey's book and did a search on Bogleheads to see what the consensus of this guy was. Glad to hear that that most people think he's delusional with his front-loaded 5.75% funds + expense ratio.
Age 31: | 70% VTSAX | 20% VTIAX | 10% VBTLX

sergeant

Post by sergeant » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:08 pm

Razasharpz wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:57 pm
Just read Dave Ramsey's book and did a search on Bogleheads to see what the consensus of this guy was. Glad to hear that that most people think he's delusional with his front-loaded 5.75% funds + expense ratio.
I don't think he's delusional. He's not great with math AND he gets paid by the "advisors" he recommends. He does frequently recommend the Vanguard SP 500 fund just about everyday to callers under certain circumstances. He recommends his guys for Roth IRA's, rollover IRA's, and 529 accounts. He recommends the caller's employer for 401k accounts. He recommends Vanguard for investable funds in taxable. At least on his radio show that is what he consistently advocates.
Lincoln 3 EOW! AA 40/60.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:59 pm

Nate79 wrote:
So, Dave advocates a tilt to the small factor, and underweighting international. He should join one of our many endless arguments on those subjects!

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:02 pm

I removed an off-topic post regarding Dave Ramsey's personal life.

Please stay focused on the investing aspects.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:03 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:59 pm
Nate79 wrote:
So, Dave advocates a tilt to the small factor, and underweighting international. He should join one of our many endless arguments on those subjects!
I don't know that he advocates "underweighting international", but he doesn't suggest any allocation to bonds or CDs (which he calls "certificates of depression"
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:03 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Nate79 wrote:
No. Dave refers to 4 categories. The categories don’t make any sense

Growth & Income - “Large Cap” or “Blue Chip”
Growth - “Mid Cap” or “S&P 500”
Aggressive Growth - “Small Cap” or “Emerging Markets”
International - “Overseas” or “Global”

You can hear Dave himself “explain” this here starting at 7 minutes 50 seconds:
https://youtu.be/rrBLkfWg_MI

How ANYONE could listen to a word of his advice or think he knows anything about the stock market is beyond me.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:23 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:03 pm
whodidntante wrote:
Nate79 wrote:

How ANYONE could listen to a word of his advice or think he knows anything about the stock market is beyond me.
LOL! So that's the sound a trainwreck makes.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:42 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
To his credit, he has been mostly correct in his advice for people to get out of ridiculous consumer debt. Sadly, that's where his good advice mostly ends.

He says that stocks have returned 12% (then cites sources that correctly disagree with this nonsense).

He recommends loaded funds with high expense ratios.

He is disdainful of bonds.

He recommends 8% withdrawals (including inflation, but still).
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:55 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:23 pm
Jags4186 wrote:
whodidntante wrote:
Nate79 wrote:

LOL! So that's the sound a trainwreck makes.
Hah! :D I'm going to need this clip for some future "why International thread" :mrgreen:
@11:41
... by the way, American companies generally outperform other international companies by and large as a group, and so your international fund will be your worst performing ... " ... "... at least you got some stuff overseas, you're not 100% betting on the American economy..."
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:19 am

willthrill81 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:42 pm
To his credit, he has been mostly correct in his advice for people to get out of ridiculous consumer debt. Sadly, that's where his good advice mostly ends.
Should we be impressed that he’s “mostly correct” about something everyone knows? No one thinks it’s smart to get involved in ridiculous debt. People do it anyway though.

Sort of like I know I would weigh less if I only ate a healthful diet consisting of lots of veggies, whole grains, and non-processed foods and worked out 6x a week. Yet I don’t eat enough veggies, eat too much pizza and would be embarrassed if anyone saw what my gym attendance record is.

rascott

Post by rascott » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:28 am

If you are doing comparisons to index funds.... you should compare his American Funds recommendations to the growth indexes, not to the SP500 or TSM (which are LCB).

Growth has beat value for quite a long while.... so more than likely anyone following his direct 'advice' has done pretty well.

Lots of worse things in the world people could do than buy 4 types of American Funds. Unlike BHs... most people are unable to properly manage their own investments due to behavioral errors and/or total lack of interest in investing. Huge swaths of the population couldn't tell you the difference between a stock and a bond.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:30 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:19 am
willthrill81 wrote:
Should we be impressed that he’s “mostly correct” about something everyone knows? No one thinks it’s smart to get involved in ridiculous debt. People do it anyway though.

Sort of like I know I would weigh less if I only ate a healthful diet consisting of lots of veggies, whole grains, and non-processed foods and worked out 6x a week. Yet I don’t eat enough veggies, eat too much pizza and would be embarrassed if anyone saw what my gym attendance record is.
True, but many people seem to need their hand held to get out of that debt. I don't personally understand why, but we've never had credit card debt and the like, so it's hard for me to relate.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:44 am

You can say what you want about financial advisors, but there’s a brand new thread on here today by a guy trying to figure out how to lose money.
A fool and your money are soon partners

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:49 am

firebirdparts wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:44 am
You can say what you want about financial advisors, but there’s a brand new thread on here today by a guy trying to figure out how to lose money.
High fees from a financial advisor are a pretty good way to do that.

Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:08 am

willthrill81 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:16 pm
Clever_Username wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:02 pm
Blake7 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:01 pm
Phineas J. Whoopee wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:55 pm
Even if he has one he's not naming, past performance does not guarantee future results.
PJW
Not a guarantee (that legalese to cover mutual fund / brokerage firm's behinds), but is an indicator of an actively managed fund manager's abilities over time and possible future performance (at least for as long he or she is managing that fund. Index funds, of course, remove the fund manager risk).
That legalese is there because using past performance to estimate future results is such a bad idea, it's literally a legal requirement to inform you of just how bad an idea it is.
Nobody takes that 100% literally though, not even Bogleheads. We use past performance regularly to get an idea of what may be a plausible AA all the time, for instance.
Yes, but there is a big difference relying on 90 years of past performance of asset classes - as opposed to the past performance of some active fund that has changed managers and drifted in style and perhaps merged with other funds over the years.
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:39 am

willthrill81 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:30 am
Jags4186 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:19 am
willthrill81 wrote:

True, but many people seem to need their hand held to get out of that debt. I don't personally understand why, but we've never had credit card debt and the like, so it's hard for me to relate.
Many people think if they pay minimum on credit cards all is well.

In the 1980’s I had a friend who worked downtown Minneapolis near the shopping district. She would spend lunch hour walking through various stores. She saw, she wanted. She charged. In a couple of years I was horrified when she told me she took out a bank loan to pay off the credit cards.

People you think are smart can be stupid with spending.

CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:45 am

rascott wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:28 am
If you are doing comparisons to index funds.... you should compare his American Funds recommendations to the growth indexes, not to the SP500 or TSM (which are LCB).

Growth has beat value for quite a long while.... so more than likely anyone following his direct 'advice' has done pretty well.

Lots of worse things in the world people could do than buy 4 types of American Funds. Unlike BHs... most people are unable to properly manage their own investments due to behavioral errors and/or total lack of interest in investing. Huge swaths of the population couldn't tell you the difference between a stock and a bond.
In the words of The White Coat Investor on his blog in a post entitled 150 Portfolios Better Than Yours:

"I suggest you pick a portfolio you like and think you can stick with for a few decades, and then do so."
https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/150-p ... han-yours/

One's saving rate and consistency at saving on an automatic basis for decades will yield good results. Has anyone taken a look at what 30 to 40 years of investing on a regular basis in the 4 types of funds DR recommends would yield? It doesn't matter what brand of fund - be it Vanguard, Schwab, Fidelity, iShares - what would 30-40 years of consistent investing and sticking with it turn out to be by investing at least 15% of one's income into these 4 types of ETFs/Funds?

Growth & Income
Growth
Aggressive Growth
International

How would it stack up with the 150 lazy portfolios that The White Coat Investor blogged about back in 2014? It might be very close to this one...

Portfolio 199 The Physician Philosopher Portfolio

45% Vanguard Institutional Index Fund
20% Vanguard Mid Cap Index Fund
20% Vanguard Small Cap Index Fund
15% International Stocks

https://thephysicianphilosopher.com/tpp-portfolio/
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." ~ Steven Wright

rascott

Post by rascott » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:16 am

CyclingDuo wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:45 am
rascott wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:28 am

In the words of The White Coat Investor on his blog in a post entitled 150 Portfolios Better Than Yours:

"I suggest you pick a portfolio you like and think you can stick with for a few decades, and then do so."
https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/150-p ... han-yours/

One's saving rate and consistency at saving on an automatic basis for decades will yield good results. Has anyone taken a look at what 30 to 40 years of investing on a regular basis in the 4 types of funds DR recommends would yield? It doesn't matter what brand of fund - be it Vanguard, Schwab, Fidelity, iShares - what would 30-40 years of consistent investing and sticking with it turn out to be by investing at least 15% of one's income into these 4 types of ETFs/Funds?

Growth & Income
Growth
Aggressive Growth
International

How would it stack up with the 150 lazy portfolios that The White Coat Investor blogged about back in 2014? It might be very close to this one...

Portfolio 199 The Physician Philosopher Portfolio

45% Vanguard Institutional Index Fund
20% Vanguard Mid Cap Index Fund
20% Vanguard Small Cap Index Fund
15% International Stocks

https://thephysicianphilosopher.com/tpp-portfolio/

Yep this is very true.....I am a fiddler by nature, so always looking to tweak and adjust.... so I had to restrict myself to basically never selling any position that I have previously created. Only new money can go into the new flavor of the month/ year, lol.

firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:16 pm

JoMoney wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:49 am

High fees from a financial advisor are a pretty good way to do that.
Tax avoidance: An additional benefit of high fees.

I kind of admire Fisher Investments for pushing their "and 20" fees as a helpful feature of what they offer. They ran a bunch of commercials during NCAA football games this year and toward the end, they made fun of "the other" financial advisors who make the same fee regardless of how your investments do. The perfect maleficent final touch on those commercials.
A fool and your money are soon partners