Switching from AT&T to Mint Mobile, any drawbacks?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
xerxes101

Switching from AT&T to Mint Mobile, any drawbacks?

Post by xerxes101 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:52 pm

Hi All,

I have been with AT&T for many years, but decided now is a good time to make a move if I want to save some money :idea:. We pay about $115 / month for three lines with AT&T which includes 12 GB of data combined. With Mint Mobile it will be $50 + tax per month for the plan that we want, which would include 2 lines with 3GB each (2 x $15/month) and one line with 8 GB ($20/month) . I have historical data to suggest that is enough data for each user. I think that will be about a $60 per moth saving for the three of us....$720 per year... :moneybag wow! Mint Mobile uses the T Mobile network and I checked the coverage map at our zip code and it is good.

https://www.mintmobile.com/plans/

Anything else I should watch out for in your opinion?

Thanks

Lalamimi

Re: Switching from AT&T to Mint Mobile, any drawbacks?

Post by Lalamimi » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:55 pm

If you have a community site on Face Book, or Next Door Neighbor group, check there. I have read its a good deal. We pay $126 mo for 3 lines and 3GBs, so you have a better deal than we do.

snailderby

Post by snailderby » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:58 pm

Switched from T Mobile to Mint. Pleased so far.

Dakotah

Post by Dakotah » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:02 pm

Compared to the normal TMobile users, the data used by Mint devices are of a lower-priority. When the network gets congested, you'll be among the first to notice the effects. Your overall speed may also be slower, even during the best times. This is the case with most MVNOs that piggy-back off of the major carriers. If you don't deal well with reduced data speed/responsiveness...you may not be happy with it.

That being said, I've been on Mint for about a month now and have been happy so far.

Post by 123 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:38 pm

snailderby wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:58 pm
+1 Very pleased. We switched from T-Mobile to Mint. Great deals if you can pay in advance for 1 yr. We get unlimited talk/text and 8 GB LTE data monthly for $240 a year ($20 monthly). If you pay by the month it's $35 monthly so the annual plan is a better deal. They have other plans for more/less data. We've had no problems.

Edited to add:
When you use an MVNO like Mint Mobile you generally are just buying the service. Many carriers offer various freebies to entice customers for various monthly plans, Mint doesn't do any of that stuff. With Mint you just get what you pay for.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Topic Author
xerxes101

Post by xerxes101 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:46 am

123 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:38 pm
snailderby wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:58 pm
+1 Very pleased. We switched from T-Mobile to Mint. Great deals if you can pay in advance for 1 yr. We get unlimited talk/text and 8 GB LTE data monthly for $240 a year ($20 monthly). If you pay by the month it's $35 monthly so the annual plan is a better deal. They have other plans for more/less data. We've had no problems.

Edited to add:
When you use an MVNO like Mint Mobile you generally are just buying the service. Many carriers offer various freebies to entice customers for various monthly plans, Mint doesn't do any of that stuff. With Mint you just get what you pay for.
Thank you for your feedback, OP here. I get the impression that you could purchase for 3 months (instead of a year) and still get the Mint deal.

SagaciousTraveler

Post by SagaciousTraveler » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:00 am

We switched from T-Mobile to mint. We had major issues with reception and sending text messages.

We then switched from mint to Verizon’s prepaid. They had a deal where they would double your 4g data. So the wife and I both get 16 gb (on the 8 gb plans), we don’t ever come close to using them but if you did, you just get throttled down. The price is a bit higher then mint but the quality is much better.

palaheel

Post by palaheel » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:02 am

The advertised prices are appealing, but don't include fees and taxes. That should be factored in when comparing to providers that include them.
Markets crash. Markets recover. Inflation takes your money FOREVER.

james3547

Post by james3547 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:08 am

I almost made the switch 6 months ago. Even got a tester sim and it all worked perfectly, we currently have tmobile.

I ultimately did not because of security. With the new port scams you have that least consider it, I think. When I looked into it, the pin to port your phone number was the last 4 of your phone number and couldn't be changed. Then you need your account number. I read where somebody called 3 times with only basic information and got the account number 2 of 3 times. YMMV

So, anyway, might want to look into that part.

armeliusc

Post by armeliusc » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:18 am

We switched from T-Mobile prepaid to MintMobile, so it's actually a bit of an upgrade for us since we didn't have data subscription before (only via 1-week pass when we travel). So far we are happy with it. We have the lowest data plan for 12-month.

You can get 3 or 6 or 12 month price. The longer commitment translates to less expensive price overall. Although you can get their "introductory" 3-month price for the same price of the 12-month for the first 3 month.

greenflamingo

Post by greenflamingo » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:27 am

We made this transition. Definitely experience more network slowness than I used to have on ATT but we picked up WiFi calling in the switch. We save $65 or so a month so it’s a no brainer to me.

furwut

Post by furwut » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:12 am

Been with Mint Mobile for 2 years. Service works for me though one always needs to consider network (T-Mobile vs AT&T) coverage. Also good point made above that MVNOs are given 2nd class treatment. Don't expect 5G service to be available for awhile.

There is a 3-month plan, for new customers, to try it out. But to retain those cheap rates, thereafter, one has to pay a year upfront.

sailaway

Post by sailaway » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:53 am

I recently renewed for my second full year, after using the 3 month introductory offer.

In my experience, if I exceed the 3GB, I don't get throttled. I get cut off and either need to go a couple of days without or pay the $10 for another GB. It hasn't been an issue often enough for me to upgrade plans, though.

rotorhead

Post by rotorhead » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:14 am

I have no experience with Mint Mobile; but we switched 6 years ago from AT&T to Consumer Cellular, and haven't looked back since. They use the AT&T &T-Mobile networks, so the coverage and speed is good pretty much everywhere. Presently 3 phones on the plan, plus 2GB data use per month at $60 + taxes. If we need more data in a given month, they bump us up to the next level at nominal charge. Pretty good we think.

Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:22 pm

I have been happy with Mint Mobile. I’m actually getting a much better phone signal in my house than I used to with my previous provider, Cricket, which uses the AT&T network.

If the people using the lines that will be under the 3 GB plans would have to really watch/limit usage in order to not go over that limit, it may be worth signing up for the 8 GB plans. It is almost triple the data for only $5 more per month. It’s best deal in my opinion. However, if the users don’t ever come close to using 3 GB, then it would make sense to go with the lower data amount.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:02 pm

This is the math. You will not be able to continue with that $15 month beyond the three months you state. And there are no family plans with Mint.
Here’s your math for a year.
Mint cheapest is the one year $180.
You have three lines you want. That is $540 year, plus tax.
That’s $45 month for here Mint lines with 3gb data. Extra data is available, but you do not have to buy it until you need it.

Right now you are paying $115 month for three lines. You save about a $70 savings per month.

crystalbank

Post by crystalbank » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:07 pm

I've been a Mint subscriber for over a year and it's ok so far. But one thing, I'm worried is account security. Mint account security is non-existent and is very vulnerable to SIM swapping attacks.

brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:30 pm

Mint Mobile is a MVNO sub carrier to T-Mobile so it depends on how well T-Mo works in your area.

Unless the other posters is in your town how well they work doesn't matter in the least. It's all about how a carrier works in your area so talk to people around you to find some T-Mo users and see how well they have it.

I'm a Sprint Eng and I'm more than happy to tell anyone go with the carrier or mvno that works the best in your town/area price, hype, or corporate overloads be damned.

cacophony

Post by cacophony » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:37 pm

I'd suggest checking out the Red Pocket plans on eBay. Something like the "$20/Mo Red Pocket Prepaid Wireless Phone Plan+Kit: Unlmtd Everything 5GB LTE" plan. One big advantage is that you can pick what network you want to use: AT&T, Verizon, or Sprint
I've been using this plan on AT&T for the past 3 years and it's been great

Opibus

Post by Opibus » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:40 pm

I have used both mint mobile and TMobile (as well as Verizon and at&t within the past 2 years... Did testing in my area). Currently I have TMobile for wife and I, and mint mobile for my senior citizen father who doesn't travel much and doesn't use much data, I got him an iPhone specifically because mint mobile can use wifi calling with an iPhone easily, which can come handy for him when he does travel.

I have TMobile myself, but I got the plan under my father's name and took the senior citizen discount, which comes out to be about $45 per line (2 lines max, including taxes) for the most expensive TMobile magenta plus plan (free Netflix, free inflight wifi, free international data, all which are useful for me)

I think the scenario I am suggesting works best for 2-3 people, with a senior citizen discount, travel an ok amount and use Netflix.

Regarding mint mobile, I think it works well, particularly if you use wifi at a lot of places for data. WiFi use cuts down data use, making mint quite cheaper, but I would recommend getting a VPN service of some sort just to protect yourself. I do also recommend having an iPhone as it has the least compatibility issues as I've noticed as of Aug 2019.

Good luck!

SeekingAPlan

Post by SeekingAPlan » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:52 pm

I switched to Mint Mobile from Virgin Mobile last August. The difference is night and day. I am loving it. I have a Moto G7 Play and make use of the wifi calling in my home. This has enabled me to also get rid of the landline. Pre-Mint my in house cell service was so poor I could not have a conversation. I am in a large city so T-Mobile has good coverage.

mtwhmemn

Post by mtwhmemn » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:21 pm

My wife and I switched from AT&T to Mint a year ago. The way I describe it to people is, "I feel stupid for not doing it earlier". Do it.

Rdytoretire

Post by Rdytoretire » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:02 pm

Been with Mint Mobile 6 months. Very happy with the service. If you use your phone regularly and go through 500MB or more of data per month. Mint Mobile seems like the best deal around. For light users Red Pocket probably has the lowest rates. I like Mint Mobiles one year plans. Pay once and forget about it.

I have always used MVNO services and have not had any issues because I was not a direct customer of T-Mobile or AT&T.

EHEngineer

Post by EHEngineer » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:44 pm

If anyone wishes to try Mint before porting your number to them, you can get a trial pack of SIM cards on amazon for $5. The first SIM gives you a free week of service with a temporary number. The second SIM card can be used to port your number to mint.

https://www.amazon.com/Mint-Mobile-Star ... 547&sr=8-6
Or, you can ... decline to let me, a stranger on the Internet, egg you on to an exercise in time-wasting, and you could say "I'm probably OK and I don't care about it that much." -Nisiprius

wander

Post by wander » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:52 pm

It's funny that the question is about moving from AT&T to Mint Mobile and a lot of answers are how please they are moving from TMobile to Mint Mobile.

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:29 am

I'm assuming it's not the case for OP, but if you have a cellular Apple Watch, you can't use it on Mint Mobile.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:06 am

Don't know how it's set up now, but I tried it some years ago and was forced to establish a separate account for each line. Too much to keep track of, went back to Cricket, $100 for 4 lines, all taxes & fees included. 22GB of high speed data, unlimited lower speed after that. Hard to beat.

AJTrenkle

Post by AJTrenkle » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:36 am

I have Mint. Really like it overall. Do the yearly deal for like 8 gigs. It comes out to only like $25 a month per line. My only issue with them was with buying international data credit when abroad. It just plain did not work and was pretty annoying. There are other ways to do this but putting 10 bucks on the phone for quick access at landing was my plan and it did not work.

As others pointed out having a separate login per line is
not ideal but a small price to pay.

Watts

Post by Watts » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:31 pm

My wife and I have both been on the 3gb plan for about a year. We have been really happy with the service.