Brother printer still recommended for small business?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Infomom2

Brother printer still recommended for small business?

Post by Infomom2 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:17 pm

I need to buy a printer for my small business asap. I have read past threads and know that Brother laser, and in any case laser is the way to go. I have never had a laser before, but I get why I want one. Googled reviews on Brother laser models I thought could work and am reading some reviews talking about a new system that makes you buy toner before you really need to and/or just that the toner is too expensive.

Do you still recommend Brother laser or something else. Some more info: I am fine with black and white. I do need print, copy, and scan. I need auto document feed and to print on both sides.

Thanks!

brad.clarkston

Re: Brother printer still recommended for small business?

Post by brad.clarkston » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:25 pm

If it's a one or two man shop then it doesn't really matter. I'm not a big fan of Brother as quality has slipped over the years but if it's a low volume printer anything in the same price range will be equivalent. Your always going to pay more for toner on a stand alone non-contract printer.

If you have 10+ employee's I would find a good local printer company that will write you a contract for the # of printers you need. Typically they will sell you a printer at a better price and give you year to year contract for repair and toner that tends to also include preventive maintenance every six months just to check up on it.

Basically you buy paper and nothing else, they will give you a extra toner set and then when you replace it you call and they send you another one.

Topic Author
Infomom2

Post by Infomom2 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:30 pm

brad.clarkston wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:25 pm
If it's a one or two man shop then it doesn't really matter. I'm not a big fan of Brother as quality has slipped over the years but if it's a low volume printer anything in the same price range will be equivalent. Your always going to pay more for toner on a stand alone non-contract printer.

Its just me. Printing is relatively low volume, but there can be times when it is a little higher. Reliability is very important with printing as well as scanning and copying (including multiple double sided pages for all of these functions).

anil686

Post by anil686 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:33 pm

Maybe it is just me, but I have been gravitating back to HP after a number of years and am happier with them now both as a multifunction and as a laser printer option. Brother still has cheaper toner and is reliable but has a difficult time with different operating systems IMO - both windows and Mac. In addition, their settings menu is difficult to use and adjust in comparison to HP. HP still has more expensive ink and toner but I have found more stores with deals on ink and toner than before. JMO though and only print about a 1000 pages a month over 3 printers so would not consider this heavy use per se...

Topic Author
Infomom2

Post by Infomom2 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:35 pm

anil686 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:33 pm
Maybe it is just me, but I have been gravitating back to HP after a number of years and am happier with them now both as a multifunction and as a laser printer option. Brother still has cheaper toner and is reliable but has a difficult time with different operating systems IMO - both windows and Mac. In addition, their settings menu is difficult to use and adjust in comparison to HP. HP still has more expensive ink and toner but I have found more stores with deals on ink and toner than before. JMO though and only print about a 1000 pages a month over 3 printers so would not consider this heavy use per se...

Thanks! I would be printing way less than you. Are you using inkjet or laser?

Topic Author
Infomom2

Post by Infomom2 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:36 pm

Infomom2 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:35 pm
anil686 wrote:

Thanks! I would be printing way less than you. So you are using laser HP? Anything in particular you recommend or don't recommend from your experience with those models?

anil686

Post by anil686 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:41 pm

Infomom2 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:35 pm
anil686 wrote:

Thanks! I would be printing way less than you. Are you using inkjet or laser?
Both - laser does about 500 pages per month - 2 ink jets at about 250 each. Hope it helps....
Also have a HP scanjet 3000 for an office desk - amazing scanner - pricey but is amazing. Also a Fujitsu flatbed scanner in the front office - also nice - but we use our multifuncitons to scan as well - just not much scanning...

canderson

Post by canderson » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:45 pm

Friends don’t let friends buy inkjet printers.

Topic Author
Infomom2

Post by Infomom2 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:52 pm

I definitely don't need anything as expensive as the HP scanner 3000! Just a reliable b&w printer, with auto-feed, copying, printing, and scanning; and double-sided for all of those features if possible. Lets assume 50-100 pages/month, but could be considerably less. Any suggestions?

anil686

Post by anil686 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:58 pm

I got the HP office jet 9018 recently (mid 2019) - have been happy with it. A little slow but not a deal breaker especially if not doing a lot of printing. Scanning is good. Ink usage so far has been acceptable. Hope it helps...

TexasPE

Post by TexasPE » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:03 pm

Check Amazon for the printer you are considering to see if remanufactured/ generic toner cartridges are available. This will save you in operating costs over the long run. My two cents.
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)

Topic Author
Infomom2

Post by Infomom2 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:08 pm

TexasPE wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:03 pm
Check Amazon for the printer you are considering to see if remanufactured/ generic toner cartridges are available. This will save you in operating costs over the long run. My two cents.

So, what I have been reading about Brother is that you cannot use those with their models any longer; so I am wondering if Brother is no longer a favorite here and what is replacing it.

As far as HP office jet, I wonder if I should consider that. In fact, I believe they have a similar model of Costco, but just afraid that my irregular usage would lead to ink drying up the way that it does with inkjets.

gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:37 pm

The Wirecutter seems to like the Brother L-2750DW

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-laser-printer/

Topic Author
Infomom2

Post by Infomom2 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:52 pm

gtd98765 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:37 pm

Thanks!

brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:58 pm

Infomom2 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:30 pm
brad.clarkston wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:25 pm

Its just me. Printing is relatively low volume, but there can be times when it is a little higher. Reliability is very important with printing as well as scanning and copying (including multiple double sided pages for all of these functions).
I'd probably start looking at something like the Xerox B215DNI as a research point for $199 with 3000 copies per cartridge ($71 per toner cart). If you need something a little better the Xerox WorkCentre 3335/DNI is good little work horses at $240 and $50 toner carts it's allot faster to print and does 4k copies per toner cart.

I like the HP's as well but they typically are slower to print and do less copies per toner cart but on the upside you can get them on sale and some have cheaper toner carts.

Keep in mind how much the toner carts cost and how many copes per cart when you do your research that's where they get you.

SonnyDMB

Post by SonnyDMB » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:37 pm

I just got a brother 3 Weeks ago, largely based on boglehead comments that haven’t steered me wrong. However, I use macs and many reviews mentioned printing issues not working on WiFi with macs and the connection getting dropped often....unfortunately I’m experiencing that.

ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:08 am

Referencing automated double sided scanning and copying: You are not going to find this on a machine for less than around $3,000. Double sided printing, no problem. And you can always run a stack of documents thru the scanner twice to catch the back side of the page. Then if you want to print it out an both sides, you would do a print merge to combine the files.

Ralph

Dovahkiin

Post by Dovahkiin » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:48 am

For a scanner I'm really happy with my Raven Pro Document scanner for $650: https://smile.amazon.com/Raven-Pro-Docu ... 07MFRJWY6/

It's very fast, it scans both sides in (with auto detection too), and it uploads right to dropbox bypassing annoying PC/mac connection issues. I don't even need my PC on for it to upload. It's a wonderful scanner with great OCR too.

Calli114

Post by Calli114 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:11 am

SonnyDMB wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:37 pm
I just got a brother 3 Weeks ago, largely based on boglehead comments that haven’t steered me wrong. However, I use macs and many reviews mentioned printing issues not working on WiFi with macs and the connection getting dropped often....unfortunately I’m experiencing that.
Same here - I just got a Brother at Sam's Club and may end up returning it.

LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:45 am

I just bought a Brother HL-L2395DW Print-Scan-Copy-Fax and couldn't be happier. Staples/Office Depot has it on sale for $75 - 80 periodically. I'm running it on a Mac with High Sierra and setup was fast, smooth and seamless. I can also print from my iPhone and iPad which is a big plus.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:58 am

It isn't an all in one but if scanning is very important you might want to consider a new option: Raven Scanner who seems to be giving Fujitsu Scansnap a run for their money at least with paper specs.

https://www.raven.com/

Paired with a low cost B&W duplex laser printer you might be in great shape.

Caveat is that my read is that your document has to go through their Raven Cloud product to get to Google or Dropbox (or even your computer if you get the model that does not have a USB port). That may be a major issue.
Last edited by stan1 on Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:12 am

I don’t use it for business but my 5yr old Brother has been rock solid. I wonder if Brother is having problems with new mesh networks.

atikovi

Post by atikovi » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:17 am

Have you looked at Canon? My 10+ year old imageCLASS still works great and toner cartridges are under $20 online.

TexasPE

Post by TexasPE » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:20 am

Infomom2 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:08 pm
TexasPE wrote:

So, what I have been reading about Brother is that you cannot use those with their models any longer
On a related note, I ignore firmware 'updates' that printer manufacturers regularly push to the user. These are often used to detect generic cartridges or toner. The printer will then reject after-market ink - happened to me! Remember that the printer manufacturers make their money on the consumables, not the hardware itself.
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)

moshe

Post by moshe » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:34 am

gtd98765 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:37 pm

I agree.

I own one of these. Basic scan and print. For light duty laser works fine as a wireless devices with my Win 10 & Android devices. 100 pages a month +/-. Owned it for 2+ years. Would buy again.

~Moshe
My money has no emotions. ~Moshe | | I'm the world's greatest expert on my own opinion. ~Bruce Williams

Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:37 am

I like my Brother laser black and white printers. I currently have one that copies and scans. I sort of wish that it faxed also but I do love the printer.

HL-L2395 DW

wolf359

Post by wolf359 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:57 am

canderson wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:45 pm
Friends don’t let friends buy inkjet printers.
This was my opinion as well, prior to December. Then I discovered the Epson Ecotank:

- It doesn't use cartridges. It uses a continuous ink system. (You fill the ink in tanks.)
- It's much cheaper to operate. The expensive option is to use Epson ink, which costs $55 for about 2 years of color printing. They include a full set with the printer. It works out to about 1 cent per page color, and cheaper for black and white. That's cheaper than my laser! Their estimate of 2 years is: 7,500 pages black/6,000 pages color. If you print that amount in less than two years, the math actually works out better for savings. You can use generic ink, but at these prices, I'm not going to bother risking it.
- The ink doesn't dry out and clog the nozzles. Well, it probably does, but the reviews indicate it takes about a year of non-use to do so. It has something to do with the volume of ink in the well. I've already gone well beyond the point where I would have clogged one in the past.

The drawback:
- The printer is more expensive for the features you get. They have to make their money selling the printer rather than selling the ink, so you're getting closer to the true cost of the product and distribution, which you have to pay up front.

I bought an Epson ET-4760 Ecotank, intended for small offices, and it's working well so far. I discovered (after the fact) that other vendors also have continuous ink systems, but I did not explore or compare to those. Full retail is $500, but I paid only half that over Christmas.

I still have a black and white Brother multi-function laser printer. It's an older model, so I can still print after getting the toner alert. I'm keeping it as long as possible. I was exploring replacing it, but ran into the same reviews on the newer Brother models. Brother's new business model caused me to consider other options. That old Brother printer is still ticking along.

J45

Post by J45 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:12 am

I love brother printers. Just bought a laser color (dont remember the model) but it works great. I had previous one for 10 years and its still working.

Being frugal, before I buy a printer, I always look up ink prices because after a year or two, the nonbrand ink comes in which is much cheaper e.g. for my old printer, I buy 3 years supply for $20.

offthetop

Post by offthetop » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:49 am

I have had both HP and Brother printers. I strongly prefer Brother printers due to HP's tactics of installing page counters or depleting colors when printing B&W pages. HP also makes it so you can not print if you dont have color cartridges or a black ink cartridge installed while Brother does not use these tactics, for that reason alone Brother is a winner.

Refilling Brother cartridges is something that is easy while HP makes you purchase genuine carterages that have a higher price than gold per ounce of ink. HP is a company I dont really stand behind due to the way they push updates to deplete ink faster and make printers run slower which made some people upgrade in the past.

All in all a Brother Laser printer is in my opinion a far better product that will last a long time. My first Brother printer still works 17 years after my father purchased it. I have since owned 2 printers since from Brother and my HP printer is essentially a dust collector or a back up for when I forget to get toner for my brother.

I should include a Brother toner cartridge should be able to print around 3000 pages vs HP XL carterages which can print up to 400 pages. The Brother cartridges with color will cost less than a single XL cartridge.. The upfront cost is higher but long term savings is significantly worth the upfront cost.

rich126

Post by rich126 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:54 pm

This isn't always possible but it is best to connect a printer directly to the computer or network and avoid WiFi. Printers, especially older ones, are notoriously unsecure devices. For the average home it isn't a big deal but the less "openings" you give a hacker, the better.

I've had a Brother laser B&W printer for a good 10 years and it has worked well. I only turn it on when I need to print and it is connected via USB. If you don't print much, except once in a while you can get something cheaper and for the big jobs just take it to an office store to print. Not the cheapest path but if it is a rare occurrence it may not be too bad.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:03 pm

Infomom2 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:08 pm
TexasPE wrote:

So, what I have been reading about Brother is that you cannot use those with their models any longer; so I am wondering if Brother is no longer a favorite here and what is replacing it.

As far as HP office jet, I wonder if I should consider that. In fact, I believe they have a similar model of Costco, but just afraid that my irregular usage would lead to ink drying up the way that it does with inkjets.
Infomom2,

I have not come across that problem at all. In fact, the generic cartridge comes with the instruction on how to reset the Brother printer's error message.

KlangFool

Cubicle

Post by Cubicle » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:53 am

I have been using Brother machines for >10 years. Very happy with them. I have a laser printer from ~2001 that I still use. And a ~2 year old laser printer/fax/copier/scanner. Both work great. I've had terrible luck with Canon & H&P in the past ~5 years.

telemark

Post by telemark » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:55 am

Brother laser printers have always had the annoying habit of issuing a "toner low" warning very early in the useful life of the cartridge, and then refusing to print any more. The fix is the same as it has always been: go into the printer settings and enable something called "continue mode", and then you can keep printing until the pages start coming out gray. They also typically come with a cheap starter cartridge which is good for many fewer pages than the standard cartridges, so you should factor that into your pricing decision. For replacement cartridges the high yield version is usually the better buy, with more capacity for a small increase in price.

Cartridges in the TN730/TN760 series have a chip in them; perhaps this is the new system the reviews are talking about. You can stick to OEM replacement cartridges or try third party cartridges that also claim to have a chip, for example

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Brot ... B078NL9174

Or you can buy third party cartridges without a chip and transfer the chip from the old cartridge to the new one. There's a YouTube video on how to do that at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUnMCyLNoOg

For connectivity I recommend buying a model with an ethernet port and cabling it directly to your router. This gives you all the benefits of networked printing, including the ability to print from laptops and tablets, without the hassle of setting up and maintaining a wifi connection. Unless you are in the habit of wandering from room to room with your printer under your arm, wifi printing doesn't buy you much except exasperation. Many models don't include an ethernet port so you need to check for this specifically.

I can't comment on copying and scanning since my old HL2270DW doesn't do that.