Power reboot in house for smart bulbs

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mtmingus

Power reboot in house for smart bulbs

Post by mtmingus » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:23 pm

We had a short power glitch today and interesting to find out:
all Philips Hue and Wyze light bulbs were turned on (after the power got back) even though the schedules were off.
Anyone had similar experience?

RickBoglehead

Re: Power reboot in house for smart bulbs

Post by RickBoglehead » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:26 pm

It means you have them set improperly, at least the Phillips bulbs. See the app...
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:32 pm

I am trying to avoid as hard as possible having any smart appliances: light controls, smart speakers, video monitoring, ring bells, or such.

The 'dumber' they are, the safer I feel.

I find that it is not a hassle to:
- turn on and off lights,
- have to type searches in the browser box vs speak to Alexa, Siri, or whatever,
- live in a condo with security (minimizes break-ins and packages stolen).

Cars are getting too smart for my liking.
"A Republic, if you can keep it". Benjamin Franklin. 1787. | Party affiliation: Vanguard. Religion: low-cost investing.

squirm

Post by squirm » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:39 pm

AlphaLess wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:32 pm
I am trying to avoid as hard as possible having any smart appliances: light controls, smart speakers, video monitoring, ring bells, or such.

- have to type searches in the browser box vs speak to Alexa, Siri, or whatever,

Same here. except for the condo part.

Topic Author
mtmingus

Post by mtmingus » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:16 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:26 pm
It means you have them set improperly, at least the Phillips bulbs. See the app...
Didn't know there is a power on behaviors settings. Thanks.

douginct

Post by douginct » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:31 pm

I have TP-Link WiFi bulbs that use the Kasa app. Same thing when I have a brief power outage, they all come on when power is restored. They revert to the schedule when the next “off” time is hit. If I’m home when this happens I go into the app and turn them off.

Post by 123 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:54 pm

AlphaLess wrote:
...The 'dumber' they are, the safer I feel...
I'm starting to feel this way about a lot of things, including my manager and co-workers.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:57 pm

123 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:54 pm
AlphaLess wrote:
...The 'dumber' they are, the safer I feel...
I'm starting to feel this way about a lot of things, including my manager and co-workers.
I am starting to feel that I need to copy-right my statement :D
"A Republic, if you can keep it". Benjamin Franklin. 1787. | Party affiliation: Vanguard. Religion: low-cost investing.

AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:58 pm

douginct wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:31 pm
I have TP-Link WiFi bulbs that use the Kasa app. Same thing when I have a brief power outage, they all come on when power is restored. They revert to the schedule when the next “off” time is hit. If I’m home when this happens I go into the app and turn them off.
Seems like a bug that the manufacturer will prefer to call a feature.

onourway

Post by onourway » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:18 pm

AlphaLess wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:58 pm
This seems to be a change instigated by pressure from emergency services who are worried they’d have no light on in homes equipped with smart bulbs after a power interruption. Fortunately as mentioned, at least with the Philips bulbs, this setting can be changed by the user.

Digital Dave

Post by Digital Dave » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:50 pm

We get power failures here quite often.
All of my wifi bulbs are in the ON state after the power comes back on. All I do is wait for the router to settle back in and I bark the "blackout" command to my Google Home. I have Wyze bulbs, Sengled bulbs and various no-name bulbs that use the Smart Life app. They are all the same.

On the other hand, all my smart plugs come back in the state that they were in before the power failed. My bedroom light is on a smart plug because of this. That way, when the power comes back on, I don't get an unpleasant wake up.

In my little 5 room house, I have 7 Google Home devices running, about a dozen smart bulbs and even more smart sockets. I've had the Googles for a little over 3 years and the smart stuff about 2.5 years.
Investing in Mutual Funds, ETF's, P2P Lending, Forever Stamps and Bittulips.

dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:58 pm

AlphaLess wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:58 pm
douginct wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:31 pm
Remember that you may want a regular wall switch to control the smart bulb from time to time - especially if someone unfamiliar with your setup is trying to turn on the the lights.

A wall switch flipping off and on is just like a blackout. You don't necessarily want the bulbs to always go to their preset smart state. Defaulting to ON means that flipping a regular switch off or on will always leave you (or the paramedic trying to find your body) with a functioning light. If your smart bulbs are controlled by a smart switch you might not want this feature, so it can be configured.

DiamondplateDave

Post by DiamondplateDave » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:06 pm

I have smart bulbs throughout my house. Although I have tried to leave the old, wall-switched ceiling fixtures out of the picture, because every so often the "smart house" becomes a "dumb house"... I presume this "bug" provides an emergency over-ride: you need light, you flip the switch off, then back on again. Yes, if the power goes out, when it comes back on all the lights come on. I try to conserve, but running 10x7w bulbs for an extra few hours isn't going to change much. In a perfect world, the smart house would detect the power outage and correct for it. Otherwise, it would at least notify you, so you could turn off unwanted lighting.
While I'm here, I did have an "incident" last week. I came home, after dark. The neighbor's house was lit up. I noticed that my yard light was not on. When I got up to the door, the house was totally dark inside. Thoughts of smouldering breaker boxes, homicidal intruders, etc. filled my head as I called a friend to be on the phone as I went inside. When I got in, I realized the microwave clock etc. was on. Turned on the old-school lights, not a problem. Finally realized the previous night I had moved my smart hub to the other side of the kitchen. I then plugged it into a UPS. I then unplugged the UPS to plug in a triple tap. The UPS makes no noise on loss of power...and I left it unplugged. So it ran through the next morning, turned the lights off at dawn, then ran out of power before sunset. So I need to change something so there is a little redundancy in the system; the hub is a common failure point to my current system. I have other bulbs that don't run off the hub, or maybe I need a dusk-dawn bulb. Before the smart house stuff, I had lights on timers. The annoyance of changing the timers to adjust for sunset times and the clock changes was annoying. The smart house is much...smarter. Mostly.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:32 pm

AlphaLess wrote:

While that's not very relevant to the OP, I share some similar sentiments.

However, I am willing to use a smart device if I fills a need or want I have. My main misgiving is limited ability to know what if any data it may be collecting on me and limit that.

For the smart bulbs, I don't care about the wirelessly controlling the lights. That sounds like more hassle than simply flicking the switch or sliding the dimmer. However, I could see myself at some point enjoying the ability to adjust the lighting tint to suit my mood.