Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
3504PIR

Re: Reached a milestone

Post by 3504PIR » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:34 am

After being accused of belittling those whom are using spreadsheets in recent thread (not true, I only expressed the fact that I have never used one), this is a great reason why spreadsheets are useful! Congratulations on your discovery, and I am genuinely happy for you! What a great feeling this must be and again congratulations!

bogglizer

Post by bogglizer » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:19 am

Congrats!

After 20 years in academia using the C programming language, I was shocked when I moved to industry and was expected to engineer space satellites using Excel. As it turns out, it can be done. Planning one's retirement is a far more appropriate use of Excel, though. Also, I still engineer space satellites in Excel. Excel may suck at computation, but it can be a good communication tool.
My intellectual superiority will shortly be demonstrated here by a pithy quotation.

HuckFinn

Post by HuckFinn » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:22 am

Nice post and congratulations RandomPointer ! :sharebeer

I strongly relate to the gratitude you expressed to the people on this forum. Many years ago Taylor Larimore responded to a post I submitted under a previous user name where I was soliciting assistance on my portfolio. His response was "Invaluable!" Honestly... I can't even quantify it.

I do not always feel qualified to assist with solicitations on this forum but I chip in where I feel I have the experience to contribute.

Wiggums

Post by Wiggums » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:42 am

Cubicle wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:04 am
This forum is responsible for >90% of my investment returns because I wouldn't be taking advantage of them if I didn't know how to.

Today was a big day for me as well. All my year-beginning transactions have settled. 401ks maxed, HSA maxed, backdoor roth ira maxed & done, & taxable accounts contributed to after my New Year's paycheck hold was released today by the bank.

Celebrate the little steps.
Congratulations to you too!!!

cashboy

Post by cashboy » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:49 pm

RandomPointer wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:09 am
I updated my portfolio spreadsheet twice a month (after every paycheck). I updated my spreadsheet recently, and I noticed that I reached a milestone. We are not FI yet, but this is an important milestone.
congratulations!

(I know the feeling)

thanks for sharing your accomplishment!

(and yes, a great forum comprised of people trying to help)

:sharebeer
Three-Fund Portfolio: FSPSX - FXAIX - FXNAX (with slight tilt of CDs - CASH - Canned Beans - Rice - Bottled Water)

cashisking500

Net Worth Milestone

Post by cashisking500 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:54 pm

[Merged into the ongoing discussion -- moderator oldcomputerguy]

Since this is the only group I can comfortably talk about this stuff with, I realized today that my wife and I have crossed the $300,000 net worth mark at age 36. We have a ways to go to get to the level that some of you all are at around here, but this group's advice has been a big reason why we have been able to steadily increase it. Thank you!

HomeStretch

Re: Net Worth Milestone

Post by HomeStretch » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:58 pm

Congratulations on hitting your milestone!

autolycus

Post by autolycus » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:00 pm

Well done! It's all about making a plan and sticking with it for the long haul.

cashisking500

Post by cashisking500 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:16 pm

Thanks guys! A question for the group...when did you feel like your net worth really started climbing quickly? Was there a specific $$ milestone or point where it seemed to grow almost automatically?

Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:20 pm

Congratulations. A lot of selfless people here who will go out of their way to help you. Great accomplishment. Tell us more about yourself. Your line of work, when you started saving, what percent of your income are you saving, what are your future plans/hopes/ fears?

rich126

Post by rich126 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:24 pm

I won't mention any numbers but I thought once I reached a couple of milestones it would be a better feeling than it turned out to be. Inflation makes some numbers smaller than in the past. And while it is nice to get close to FI, it often just means you are getting old :(

Anyhow, keep up the good work.

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:35 pm

Fantastic. Congratulations.
Just because it isn't your fault doesn't mean it isn't your responsibility....Josh Reid Jones

Quirkz

Post by Quirkz » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:35 pm

Congrats, keep up the good work.

Not sure if or when it ever picks up speed. I'm a handful of years ahead of you, and so far it still seems like hard work and slow going. But the milestones should come quicker. Barring unforseen events, I bet you can double your holdings in half the time it took you to get this far.

BrownEyedGirl_27

Post by BrownEyedGirl_27 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:41 pm

Congrats! That's awesome. Best of luck to you in the New Year!
"Your mind has a mind of its own. At the very moment when you are most convinced of your own rationality, you may be feeling rather than thinking your way toward a decision.” | Jason Zweig

sapper1371

Post by sapper1371 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:42 pm

Congrats. Mine started picking up about where you are but it was a combination of favorable market conditions and increased saving rates that pushes me from $300k to $1M 5-6 years. Hope to get to $2M in another 5-6 more years but all depends on the market.

sailaway

Post by sailaway » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:42 pm

cashisking500 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:16 pm
Thanks guys! A question for the group...when did you feel like your net worth really started climbing quickly? Was there a specific $$ milestone or point where it seemed to grow almost automatically?
For us that is more a factor of savings rate and market performance more than the existing lump sum.
Last edited by sailaway on Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:43 pm

cashisking500 wrote:
It starts feeling a lot different when your 401k earnings for the year are more than your new savings for the year.

That can also be sort of frustrating when you realize that if you are saving 15% if your income and you increase it to 17% the extra 2% would not make a lot of difference.

Vulcan

Post by Vulcan » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:05 pm

Watty wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:43 pm
cashisking500 wrote:
It starts feeling a lot different when your 401k earnings for the year are more than your new savings for the year.
...or losses for the year
If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything. ~Ronald Coase

soccerrules

Post by soccerrules » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:10 pm

Congrats. I had no idea where my NW was at age 36 -- good for you.

Trust the Math, Stay the Course.
Don't let your outflow exceed your income or your upkeep will be your downfall.

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:12 pm

Vulcan wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:05 pm
Watty wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:43 pm
cashisking500 wrote:
...or losses for the year
+1.

Classic loss aversion pain:

Having investment returns more than our household income feels great.

Having investment losses more than our household income feels far worse.
70% Global Market Weight Equities | 15% Long Treasuries 15% short TIPS & cash || RSU + ESPP

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:21 pm

I merged RandomPointer's thread into the on-going discussion. The combined thread is in the US Chapters forum (community).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Faerris

Post by Faerris » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:30 pm

Great job! My wife and I got a late start with our retirement accounts (I was 30 and she was 26). It’s been 7 years and we just crossed $250k in retirement accounts and $500k in net worth about a month ago. We’re a long way from reaching our financial goals, but excited about what the future holds for our savings strategy.

roadnottaken

Post by roadnottaken » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:07 am

Hit two commas this morning at 38 y/o :beer

Feels good, tho with 4 kids in a HCOL area it hardly seems ample, and I expect some ups and downs in the next few years. However I’m obviously not complaining - I’ve been very fortunate so-far. And if we can maintain our incomes and savings-rate for another decade or two we should be fine.

Thanks a ton for all the guidance and advice on this board!

Capricorn51

Post by Capricorn51 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:32 pm

At the risk of jinxing. Just ran numbers today and over $4 million all in for the first time (including ca 200K condo basis at cost). Just turned 68 and plan to work a few more years (very stable position and work I enjoy).

Obviously 2019 was a very good year, and anticipate different trend in 2020.

I joined this board about a year ago, and the last year was very beneficial. Have been trying to evolve towards simple BH style, but unrealized capital gains are reducing the speed with which I could do that. At the beginning of 2019, I had positions in my taxable account in 16 funds/ETF's, and aim to get below 10 by the end of 2020. But I've pruned down the ones with higher expense ratios.

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:25 pm

Hit 1.8 million first time ever today! :) :moneybag

jriding

Post by jriding » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:13 pm

Paid off my mortgage today! Balance was down to $9k due to extra payments we have been making over the past several years (all while maxing tax advantaged accounts). It was a heart over head decision and feels great.

Plan to cash flow about 1/2 the kids college with the former principal payments, starting Fall 2020. The other half is already tucked away in a 529. DW are planning a celebratory date night this weekend. Per Boglehead protocol, not planning to tell anyone (including parents) except for one friend that paid off his mortgage years ago...no resentment concerns there!

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:18 pm

jriding wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:13 pm
Paid off my mortgage today! Balance was down to $9k due to extra payments we have been making over the past several years (all while maxing tax advantaged accounts). It was a heart over head decision and feels great.

Plan to cash flow about 1/2 the kids college with the former principal payments, starting Fall 2020. The other half is already tucked away in a 529. DW are planning a celebratory date night this weekend. Per Boglehead protocol, not planning to tell anyone (including parents) except for one friend that paid off his mortgage years ago...no resentment concerns there!
Congratulations on zeroing out the mortgage note :) . Feels great, doesn't it?
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

jriding

Post by jriding » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:28 pm

ruralavalon wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:18 pm
jriding wrote:

Thank you, yes it feels amazing! DW and I were just talking about how long the buzz might last. We are hoping it doesn't wear off too soon!

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:31 pm

jriding wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:28 pm
ruralavalon wrote:
jriding wrote:

Thank you, yes it feels amazing! DW and I were just talking about how long the buzz might last. We are hoping it doesn't wear off too soon!
After more than five years, it still hasn't worn off, when every month come with not having to make a mortgage payment. Now if I could just get rid of that property tax payment twice a year.

EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:53 pm

Spirit Rider wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:31 pm
jriding wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:28 pm
ruralavalon wrote:
jriding wrote:

After more than five years, it still hasn't worn off, when every month come with not having to make a mortgage payment. Now if I could just get rid of that property tax payment twice a year.
I couldn't agree more. We live in a high property tax state so the only way to cut that is to move. We are looking at paying off our mortgage soon, so can't wait to post that here. Hopefully within the next 12 months.

Investing.Newbie

Paid Off Car

Post by Investing.Newbie » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:40 am

Hello Everyone

Paid off my car loan today :D I know the interest rate is low and I would have been better off investing the additional payments but paying off the loan early makes more sense to my family situation.
Here's to the small successes in life :sharebeer A very big thank you to this forum which has been invaluable to me :sharebeer
Cheers !

Sic Vis Pacem

Post by Sic Vis Pacem » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:13 pm

Hi all! As of close of market today, DW and I joined the 2-comma club net worth.
While recognizing we'll likely spend some time back below this threshold if the market decides so, I cannot help but be amazed and humbled at the growth we've had since discovering this wonderful community. Next step: 2 commas without counting home equity.

Cheers, and thank you all!