Should I Make This Portfolio Move Prior to November's Election?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
dwp456

Should I Make This Portfolio Move Prior to November's Election?

Post by dwp456 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:04 pm

I know we are not to discuss politics here, so without addressing political agendas, I'd like your thoughts about a potential move that I'm contemplating for my portfolio prior to November's election.

For background, my wife and I will soon be 64 years old, and plan on retiring probably within the next two years. Through a buy-and-hold, stay-the- course approach over the years, we've managed to accumulate a total portfolio of $2.9 million. For our purposes, that, along with SS, should provide us with the retirment lifestyle that we desire. Since we are "late in the 4th quarter", I don't feel like we need to attempt any "hail Mary's", and it makes sense to just "hand the ball off" and not risk a fumble or interception. I have ratcheted our asset allocation down a bit over the last couple years to a current 60/40.

Based on the facts (not conjecture) about the Democratic candidates' stated policies, it would appear that if a Democrat wins the election in November, a significant market correction will probably occur. Fiscal policies (not the least of which will be the roll-back or repeal of the recently enacted personal and corporate tax overhaul), may well drive the market significantly downwards. I have never been a market timer, but this worries me since I am so close to retirement. I'm thinking of backing out of the stock market almost completely just prior to the election. If a Democrat wins, and the correction occurs, I will have protected my assets. If the Republican wins, I can quickly re-invest back to my target allocation. If a Democrat wins and I'm wrong about a crash and it doesn't happen, I could still get back in and re-invest fairly quickly. I would be willing to forego a couple of months of lost gains by being on the sidelines in order to protect my nest egg.

Is this carzy thinking? Again, I have never been a market timer, but these are extraordinary times, and I think we are in uncharted waters here.

Dale_G

Re: Should I Make This Portfolio Move Prior to November's Election?

Post by Dale_G » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:06 pm

Not a chance of this being a lengthy discussion. I will be doing nothing different.
Volatility is my friend

greg24

Post by greg24 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:06 pm

This is crazy thinking.

In 2016, the market reacted to the election in a different direction than everyone predicted.

We're not in uncharted territory. We are just in another presidential election year.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:07 pm

Countdown to the lock in 3.....2......1......

If you're worried about stocks dropping significantly in value for whatever reason, then you probably have too much invested in stocks.
dwp456 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:04 pm
but these are extraordinary times, and I think we are in uncharted waters here.
Not really. The waters we're sailing with are always uncharted.

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
-Heraclitus
Last edited by willthrill81 on Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:07 pm

Candidates say lots of things prior to an election.

IBTL

sailaway

Post by sailaway » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:08 pm

So you know who is going to win the next election, how well their policies will be implemented and how that will affect the stock market and you think the mortals here can help you make a decision?

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:09 pm

In before the lock.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

Trapper

Post by Trapper » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:10 pm

Can’t predict the market.
In before the lock.

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:11 pm

Locked in 3...2...1...

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:15 pm

...Locked. This thread has run its course and is locked (politics). See: Politics and Religion
In order to avoid the inevitable frictions that arise from these topics, political or religious posts and comments are prohibited. The only exceptions to this rule are:
  • Common religious expressions such as sending your prayers to an ailing member.
  • Usage of factual and non-derogatory political labels when necessary to the discussion at hand.
  • Discussions about enacted laws or regulations that affect the individual investor. Note that discussions of proposed legislation are prohibited.
  • Proposed regulations that are directly related to investing may be discussed if and when they are published for public comments.
Mentioning political parties, even without stating the policies or positions, counts as a political comment.

This thread is left visible as an example of an unacceptable topic.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.