What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Darth Vanguard

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Darth Vanguard » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:00 pm

Abominable - very cute movie. Adults and kids will find this enjoyable.

Frozen 2 - It was ok once they got to the actual story line. Overall it felt like Disney was trying to milk a few more bucks out of this franchise before it fades away.
May the Force be with you.

TCB

Post by TCB » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:37 pm

travellight wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:10 am
madbrain wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:34 pm
Uncut gems in the theater on Saturday. The pace of the movie is frenetic. The key characters are very unsympathetic. I can't understand what the critics were thinking on this one. Skip it.
Totally agree!
Once in a while a film comes along that makes you thrilled to escape into the story and characters.
Uncut Gems is not that film.

As much as I disliked the “movie”, Adam Sandler‘s acting performance WAS excellent as a problem gambler and awful human being, and if I ever meet him I will honestly tell him so.

But I will also ask him for the $13 refund he now owes me and any tips he may have on getting back the 2 hours of my life spent watching that pointless train wreck.

KFBR392

Post by KFBR392 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:51 pm

Long Shot - currently on HBO. I know many consider Seth Rogen's lazy stoner shtick old hat but this movie was really funny and sort of touching. A disaffected journalist runs into his childhood baby sitter who happens to be the Secretary of State. She hires him as her speech writer to the dismay of her advisors and an unlikely romance ensues. Being a Rogen movie it features some raunchy humor so YMMV.

wilson08

Post by wilson08 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:20 pm

Knives Out

A gloomy but imposing mansion provides the perfect backdrop
for this spoof of whodunit movies. Although I say spoof, it was
not silly, and had mystery and intrigue along with some funny
moments.
I was a little disappointed that the much anticipated twist was
not totally unexpected. I'm not saying it was not clever, just not
stunning. But having said that, it was still a good movie. The cast
included multiple well known stars that added to the appeal of
of the film.
Viewed at a theater. Recommended

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:29 pm

black jack wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:59 am
Little Women. I know next-to-nothing about the book. I enjoyed the movie very much; it was beautifully filmed and emotionally powerful.

My quibbles: the mother, played by Laura Dern, seems too saintly for this world; and the movie skips back and forth in time, and I lost track of the chronology about 2/3rds in.

I heard part of an interview with the director (Greta Gerwig) today in which she observed that Little Women and other female coming-of-age novels are typically considered light fare, while male coming-of-age books like Catcher in the Rye and A Separate Peace are viewed more seriously (I recall those books being assigned reading in my high school English classes, but not Little Women). Having never read Little Women, and having long since forgotten the contents of the boy books, I have no basis for an evaluation of their relative quality, but it seems a fair point.
I just saw Little Women today too. It was indeed excellent. Marmee is too saintly for words in the book too. The book does go in chronological order.

I spent all of 2019 reading books written by women. Little Women was one of those. Gerwig does have a point. I read a number of books that were every bit as “serious” as books I was assigned in school, but that I’d never heard of before.

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:29 pm

Pavarotti

Excellent :)

Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:49 pm

Contraband on Hulu. Enjoyed it.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

kevinobes

Post by kevinobes » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:29 pm

Siege of Jadotville on Netflix. A really phenomenal movie about a little piece of military/political history that most people have never heard of. Highly recommend.

Halicar

Post by Halicar » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:13 pm

I saw Galaxy Quest on a flight the other day. I was expecting a silly spoof of Star Trek and its fandom--which it was--but it was very funny and surprisingly touching at times.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:25 pm

Halicar wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:13 pm
I saw Galaxy Quest on a flight the other day. I was expecting a silly spoof of Star Trek and its fandom--which it was--but it was very funny and surprisingly touching at times.
I give it my personal thumbs up!

Very clever premise and very well done.

Great cast.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

joe8d

Post by joe8d » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:35 pm

The Farewell.
In Chinese with subtitles. Enjoyed it very much.
All the Best, | Joe

sedonashine

Post by sedonashine » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:53 pm

i know i am being a pest...but please post WHERE you saw these pics~ i use this thread (as many do) because the critics are very reliable. Thanks!

MandyT

Post by MandyT » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:34 pm

wilson08 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:20 pm
Knives Out

A gloomy but imposing mansion provides the perfect backdrop
for this spoof of whodunit movies. Although I say spoof, it was
not silly, and had mystery and intrigue along with some funny
moments.
I was a little disappointed that the much anticipated twist was
not totally unexpected. I'm not saying it was not clever, just not
stunning. But having said that, it was still a good movie. The cast
included multiple well known stars that added to the appeal of
of the film.
Viewed at a theater. Recommended
I went to see this in a theater yesterday. I enjoyed it a lot. I couldn't anticipate the various twists and turns, but they made sense in retrospect. I enjoyed the random Sondheim shout-out, which seems to be a "thing" in movies lately.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:42 pm

I saw Little Women last week, the 2019 version. This is a great movie. Highly recommended. Apparently, there were 6 other film adaptations. I had never seen any of them, or read the book.

Also saw, "The grudge" on Sunday, a horror movie. Despite the low ratings, I found this movie had a pretty good pace. The main thing I disliked about it was the ending., which I found wanting. Without spoiling it, the movie felt unfinished.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:38 pm

bertilak wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:25 pm
Halicar wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:13 pm
I give it my personal thumbs up!

Very clever premise and very well done.

Great cast.
We have seen the movie several times, the cast is excellent and the movie is very good. I recommend this movie.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:31 pm

Bad Day at Black Rock (1955) Spencer Tracy, Robt. Ryan, Anne Francis (the only female), Dean Jagger, Walter Brennan, Ernest Borgnine, Lee Marvin. Directed by John Sturges.

In post-WWII, a one-armed stranger comes to a tiny town possessing a terrible past they want to keep secret, by violent means if necessary.

I love the cast and location, and the title! It would be hard to improve on that title. But the plot is a bit one-dimensional, in my opinion. The plot has been compared with High Noon (1952), but it’s not in the same league, in my opinion. Glad I saw it, anyway. Recommended, with reservations.

I watched it on broadcast television.
Never ask a barber if you need a haircut. Vox audita perit littera scripta manet.

Nicolas

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?uced the film.

Post by Nicolas » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:53 pm

The Two Popes (2019) Anthony Hopkins, Jonathan Pryce.

Behind Vatican walls, the conservative Pope Benedict and the liberal future Pope Francis must find common ground to forge a new path for the Catholic Church.

Hopkins and Pryce are totally believable as Benedict and Francis, the only two popes alive at the same time since the 13th century, if that means anything. I enjoyed this film.

Francis’s past experience with the oppression and atrocities committed by the military dictatorship in Argentina in the 1970s was explored. But they don’t mention much Benedict’s experience in the Hitler Youth. The scene where Benedict and Francis dance the tango together is memorable. I also enjoyed the scenes depicting Castel Gandolfo, though probably not filmed there. I recommend this film.

I watched it on Netflix streaming.
Never ask a barber if you need a haircut. Vox audita perit littera scripta manet.

jrmillions

Post by jrmillions » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:05 pm

The Irishman

rvflyer

Post by rvflyer » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:47 pm

Ford vs Ferrari Great flick for those into cars and 24 hour LeMan. Exceeded my expectations!

sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:41 pm

1917 - Great cinematography and excellent story about WWI.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci

beehivehave

Post by beehivehave » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:47 pm

Rewatched "Free Solo". Won AA for best documentary. If you haven't seen it, do so.

d0gerz

Post by d0gerz » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:53 pm

The Rainmaker. 1997 Francis Ford Coppola adaptation of John Grisham novel, starring Matt Damon and Danny DeVito. Feel like all I've watched recently are action/superhero movies. This was a good change of pace. Felt like a different world really. (It is 20+ years old after all.) Matt Damon hasn't aged one bit.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:49 pm

beehivehave wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:47 pm
Rewatched "Free Solo". Won AA for best documentary. If you haven't seen it, do so.
Unbelievable film. Probably half the people who I've talked to couldn't get through it even though they know how it ends. Incredibly intense.

fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:56 pm

"Tin Cup"....with Kevin Costner.

Haven't seen this flick in many years. I enjoy golf ….. the movie was light-hearted and very enjoyable.

Watched in on VUDU......free with ads. I usually scuff at this but the ads were short and...….. gave us a break to refill the wine glass..... :beer

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:08 pm

The Irishman on Netflix. I really enjoyed the film and want to watch it again. The 3.5 hours flew by as the movie kept my undivided attention. I will say there's only so far that de-aging technology could take them, it's hard to make a 75+ year old person move like a much younger person. There was one scene where it was particularly noticeable.

The Salesman, on blu-ray from Netflix. I also enjoyed this film and recommend it. Minor spoiler, but the show involves Iranian actors in a play. The females had to wear their head scarves even in the play, I found that irritating.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca

Unladen_Swallow

Post by Unladen_Swallow » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:07 pm

We watched "Uncut Gems". Starring Adam Sandler as New York Diamond District jeweler.

It's a very good movie and Sandler is excellent. But I hated every minute of it :oops:

I found it stressful following the activities of someone so chaotic. I couldn't wait for the movie to end do I had some peace and quiet.

I recommend the movie as a good movie.
"I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong." - Richard Feynman

antiqueman

Post by antiqueman » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:31 pm

1917. Saw it today at movies. Setting is WW1

Good movie.

BGeste

Post by BGeste » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:45 pm

On Netflix:

The King
The Irishman
Shotcaller

On TCM:

Guns of Navarone
Treasure of Sierra Madre
Out of the Past
Last edited by BGeste on Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrsbetsy

Post by mrsbetsy » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:21 am

antiqueman wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:31 pm

Good movie.
+1 Should be required watching. War is not a video game. Well done and left with nothing but respect for soldiers.

tooluser

Post by tooluser » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:57 pm

"Ad Astra" There are a lot of negative reviews out there for it, but I liked it. It's more a cerebral suspense film than an action film, which I know many people expect from science fiction.

telemark

Post by telemark » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:07 pm

Two from the 70s, THX 1138 and Dark Star, which is hilarious and obviously shot on maybe 1/2 of a shoestring. I'm doing the free trial on the Criterion Channel, so next up will probably be Westworld.

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:35 pm

Saw the latest Star Wars film. I laughed quietly a few times (even when no jokes were told) at its predictability but simultaneous disjointedness and excessive plot. It was, of course, a visual feast.

Also saw Frozen II this weekend. A cute enough sequel, but really just an Appendix to the first film, which remains one of my favorite Disney princess films. (Yes, I'm a man.) It stands more as a sequel made for the adults who liked Frozen than as a kids movie.
Old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow, | Bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow. | None has ever caught him yet, for Tom, he is the master: | His songs are stronger songs, and his feet are faster.

MDfan

Post by MDfan » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:51 pm

mrsbetsy wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:21 am
antiqueman wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:31 pm

Good movie.
+1 Should be required watching. War is not a video game. Well done and left with nothing but respect for soldiers.

1917 was fantastic. Love the way it was shot and there is tension from beginning to end.