legalplans - worth it, share your experience

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
stockrex

legalplans - worth it, share your experience

Post by stockrex » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:49 pm

I found that some employers in the area offer a legalplan benefit that one can opt for about $16/month.

https://www.legalplans.com/wp-content/u ... -FINAL.pdf

gimmick? do you get a fresh graduate atty who not very experienced? what gives?

student

Re: legalplans - worth it, share your experience

Post by student » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:54 pm

Both my colleagues and myself have used them for setting trusts and we are satisfied.

jackholloway

Post by jackholloway » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:59 am

I had a will drawn up by a Hyatt lawyer. It was ok, but rather boilerplate. I expect that a more experienced lawyer would have asked more questions about what we wanted from our trust, but it met our requirements, and was a lot better than not having a will. Our lawyer was fairly new, and had we not done a bit of prep work - reading "beyond the grave", roughing out our requirements, putting together a couple of scenarios we wanted covered - we might not have gotten what we wanted.

We were happy enough that we have recommended the firm to a couple of family members.

Planner01

Post by Planner01 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:02 am

I used a plan with a highly experienced lawyer. Worth the money since it saved me thousands to draw up a trust.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:01 am

Planner01 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:02 am
I used a plan with a highly experienced lawyer. Worth the money since it saved me thousands to draw up a trust.
This ^^^

You get to pick from the lawyers in these plans, so pick carefully.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

Topic Author
stockrex

Post by stockrex » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:06 pm

So I get to pick form their list of attorneys

How about cost, is there any out of pocket costs? or just the monthly premium covers everything?

lowkeytaco

Post by lowkeytaco » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:08 pm

stockrex wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:06 pm

How about cost, is there any out of pocket costs? or just the monthly premium covers everything?
I used Hyatt to choose an attorney to set up an estate plan -- trust, pour over will and medical directive. Approximately $275 was out of pocket to cover filing fees (putting property in name of trust), notary fees, some tax analysis, material costs, etc.

I signed up for the plan for one year, got my estate plan done and didn't re-sign up the following year. With the premium, the overall cost to set up an estate plan seemed like a good deal.

student

Post by student » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:10 pm

stockrex wrote:

I did not pay any fees other than filing fee to the county.

mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:15 pm

stockrex wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:49 pm
I found that some employers in the area offer a legalplan benefit that one can opt for about $16/month.

https://www.legalplans.com/wp-content/u ... -FINAL.pdf

gimmick? do you get a fresh graduate atty who not very experienced? what gives?
There are quite a few threads on Hyatt Legal Plans on the forum.
https://www.google.com/search?sitesearc ... yatt+legal

Most folks, including us, had fairly good experiences. We were able to get a will, a living trust, and power of attorney done by a local, well-reputed lawyer. I believe they gave us around 10 choices for local firms and we just choose the best rated one on Yelp. Out of pocket, we had to pay around $400 for notary and court fees, so roughly a $2.5K discount from the rack rate.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:52 pm

stockrex wrote:

Whatever the plan says. Just like a medical plan.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.