What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
TCB

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by TCB »

travellight wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:10 am
madbrain wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:34 pm Uncut gems in the theater on Saturday. The pace of the movie is frenetic. The key characters are very unsympathetic. I can't understand what the critics were thinking on this one. Skip it.
Totally agree!
Once in a while a film comes along that makes you thrilled to escape into the story and characters.
Uncut Gems is not that film.

As much as I disliked the “movie”, Adam Sandler‘s acting performance WAS excellent as a problem gambler and awful human being, and if I ever meet him I will honestly tell him so.

But I will also ask him for the $13 refund he now owes me and any tips he may have on getting back the 2 hours of my life spent watching that pointless train wreck.
KFBR392

Post by KFBR392 »

Long Shot - currently on HBO. I know many consider Seth Rogen's lazy stoner shtick old hat but this movie was really funny and sort of touching. A disaffected journalist runs into his childhood baby sitter who happens to be the Secretary of State. She hires him as her speech writer to the dismay of her advisors and an unlikely romance ensues. Being a Rogen movie it features some raunchy humor so YMMV.
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

Knives Out

A gloomy but imposing mansion provides the perfect backdrop
for this spoof of whodunit movies. Although I say spoof, it was
not silly, and had mystery and intrigue along with some funny
moments.
I was a little disappointed that the much anticipated twist was
not totally unexpected. I'm not saying it was not clever, just not
stunning. But having said that, it was still a good movie. The cast
included multiple well known stars that added to the appeal of
of the film.
Viewed at a theater. Recommended
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

black jack wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:59 pm Little Women. I know next-to-nothing about the book. I enjoyed the movie very much; it was beautifully filmed and emotionally powerful.

My quibbles: the mother, played by Laura Dern, seems too saintly for this world; and the movie skips back and forth in time, and I lost track of the chronology about 2/3rds in.

I heard part of an interview with the director (Greta Gerwig) today in which she observed that Little Women and other female coming-of-age novels are typically considered light fare, while male coming-of-age books like Catcher in the Rye and A Separate Peace are viewed more seriously (I recall those books being assigned reading in my high school English classes, but not Little Women). Having never read Little Women, and having long since forgotten the contents of the boy books, I have no basis for an evaluation of their relative quality, but it seems a fair point.
I just saw Little Women today too. It was indeed excellent. Marmee is too saintly for words in the book too. The book does go in chronological order.

I spent all of 2019 reading books written by women. Little Women was one of those. Gerwig does have a point. I read a number of books that were every bit as “serious” as books I was assigned in school, but that I’d never heard of before.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

Pavarotti

Excellent :)
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Contraband on Hulu. Enjoyed it.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
kevinobes

Post by kevinobes »

Siege of Jadotville on Netflix. A really phenomenal movie about a little piece of military/political history that most people have never heard of. Highly recommend.
Halicar

Post by Halicar »

I saw Galaxy Quest on a flight the other day. I was expecting a silly spoof of Star Trek and its fandom--which it was--but it was very funny and surprisingly touching at times.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Halicar wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:13 pm I saw Galaxy Quest on a flight the other day. I was expecting a silly spoof of Star Trek and its fandom--which it was--but it was very funny and surprisingly touching at times.
I give it my personal thumbs up!

Very clever premise and very well done.

Great cast.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

The Farewell.
In Chinese with subtitles. Enjoyed it very much.
All the Best, | Joe
sedonashine

Post by sedonashine »

i know i am being a pest...but please post WHERE you saw these pics~ i use this thread (as many do) because the critics are very reliable. Thanks!
MandyT

Post by MandyT »

wilson08 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:20 pm Knives Out

A gloomy but imposing mansion provides the perfect backdrop
for this spoof of whodunit movies. Although I say spoof, it was
not silly, and had mystery and intrigue along with some funny
moments.
I was a little disappointed that the much anticipated twist was
not totally unexpected. I'm not saying it was not clever, just not
stunning. But having said that, it was still a good movie. The cast
included multiple well known stars that added to the appeal of
of the film.
Viewed at a theater. Recommended
I went to see this in a theater yesterday. I enjoyed it a lot. I couldn't anticipate the various twists and turns, but they made sense in retrospect. I enjoyed the random Sondheim shout-out, which seems to be a "thing" in movies lately.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

I saw Little Women last week, the 2019 version. This is a great movie. Highly recommended. Apparently, there were 6 other film adaptations. I had never seen any of them, or read the book.

Also saw, "The grudge" on Sunday, a horror movie. Despite the low ratings, I found this movie had a pretty good pace. The main thing I disliked about it was the ending., which I found wanting. Without spoiling it, the movie felt unfinished.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

bertilak wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:25 pm
Halicar wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:13 pm I saw Galaxy Quest on a flight the other day. I was expecting a silly spoof of Star Trek and its fandom--which it was--but it was very funny and surprisingly touching at times.
I give it my personal thumbs up!

Very clever premise and very well done.

Great cast.
We have seen the movie several times, the cast is excellent and the movie is very good. I recommend this movie.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Bad Day at Black Rock (1955) Spencer Tracy, Robt. Ryan, Anne Francis (the only female), Dean Jagger, Walter Brennan, Ernest Borgnine, Lee Marvin. Directed by John Sturges.

In post-WWII, a one-armed stranger comes to a tiny town possessing a terrible past they want to keep secret, by violent means if necessary.

I love the cast and location, and the title! It would be hard to improve on that title. But the plot is a bit one-dimensional, in my opinion. The plot has been compared with High Noon (1952), but it’s not in the same league, in my opinion. Glad I saw it, anyway. Recommended, with reservations.

I watched it on broadcast television.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The Two Popes (2019) Anthony Hopkins, Jonathan Pryce.

Behind Vatican walls, the conservative Pope Benedict and the liberal future Pope Francis must find common ground to forge a new path for the Catholic Church.

Hopkins and Pryce are totally believable as Benedict and Francis, the only two popes alive at the same time since the 13th century, if that means anything. I enjoyed this film.

Francis’s past experience with the oppression and atrocities committed by the military dictatorship in Argentina in the 1970s was explored. But they don’t mention much Benedict’s experience in the Hitler Youth. The scene where Benedict and Francis dance the tango together is memorable. I also enjoyed the scenes depicting Castel Gandolfo, though probably not filmed there. I recommend this film.

I watched it on Netflix streaming.
Last edited by Nicolas on Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jrmillions

Post by jrmillions »

The Irishman
rvflyer

Post by rvflyer »

Ford vs Ferrari Great flick for those into cars and 24 hour LeMan. Exceeded my expectations!
sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty »

1917 - Great cinematography and excellent story about WWI.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci
beehivehave

Post by beehivehave »

Rewatched "Free Solo". Won AA for best documentary. If you haven't seen it, do so.
d0gerz

Post by d0gerz »

The Rainmaker. 1997 Francis Ford Coppola adaptation of John Grisham novel, starring Matt Damon and Danny DeVito. Feel like all I've watched recently are action/superhero movies. This was a good change of pace. Felt like a different world really. (It is 20+ years old after all.) Matt Damon hasn't aged one bit.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

beehivehave wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:47 pm Rewatched "Free Solo". Won AA for best documentary. If you haven't seen it, do so.
Unbelievable film. Probably half the people who I've talked to couldn't get through it even though they know how it ends. Incredibly intense.
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

"Tin Cup"....with Kevin Costner.

Haven't seen this flick in many years. I enjoy golf ….. the movie was light-hearted and very enjoyable.

Watched in on VUDU......free with ads. I usually scuff at this but the ads were short and...….. gave us a break to refill the wine glass..... :beer
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

The Irishman on Netflix. I really enjoyed the film and want to watch it again. The 3.5 hours flew by as the movie kept my undivided attention. I will say there's only so far that de-aging technology could take them, it's hard to make a 75+ year old person move like a much younger person. There was one scene where it was particularly noticeable.

The Salesman, on blu-ray from Netflix. I also enjoyed this film and recommend it. Minor spoiler, but the show involves Iranian actors in a play. The females had to wear their head scarves even in the play, I found that irritating.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Unladen_Swallow

Post by Unladen_Swallow »

We watched "Uncut Gems". Starring Adam Sandler as New York Diamond District jeweler.

It's a very good movie and Sandler is excellent. But I hated every minute of it :oops:

I found it stressful following the activities of someone so chaotic. I couldn't wait for the movie to end do I had some peace and quiet.

I recommend the movie as a good movie.
"I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong." - Richard Feynman
antiqueman

Post by antiqueman »

1917. Saw it today at movies. Setting is WW1

Good movie.
BGeste

Post by BGeste »

On Netflix:

The King
The Irishman
Shotcaller

On TCM:

Guns of Navarone
Treasure of Sierra Madre
Out of the Past
Last edited by BGeste on Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrsbetsy

Post by mrsbetsy »

antiqueman wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:31 pm 1917. Saw it today at movies. Setting is WW1

Good movie.
+1 Should be required watching. War is not a video game. Well done and left with nothing but respect for soldiers.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

"Ad Astra" There are a lot of negative reviews out there for it, but I liked it. It's more a cerebral suspense film than an action film, which I know many people expect from science fiction.
telemark

Post by telemark »

Two from the 70s, THX 1138 and Dark Star, which is hilarious and obviously shot on maybe 1/2 of a shoestring. I'm doing the free trial on the Criterion Channel, so next up will probably be Westworld.
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

Saw the latest Star Wars film. I laughed quietly a few times (even when no jokes were told) at its predictability but simultaneous disjointedness and excessive plot. It was, of course, a visual feast.

Also saw Frozen II this weekend. A cute enough sequel, but really just an Appendix to the first film, which remains one of my favorite Disney princess films. (Yes, I'm a man.) It stands more as a sequel made for the adults who liked Frozen than as a kids movie.
“The strong cannot be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.“ - GK Chesterton
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

mrsbetsy wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:21 pm
antiqueman wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:31 pm 1917. Saw it today at movies. Setting is WW1

Good movie.
+1 Should be required watching. War is not a video game. Well done and left with nothing but respect for soldiers.

1917 was fantastic. Love the way it was shot and there is tension from beginning to end.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

20,000 Years in Sing Sing (1932) Spencer Tracy, Bette Davis

Brash hoodlum Tom Connors enters Sing Sing cocksure of himself and disrespectful toward authority, but his tough but compassionate warden changes him.

Davis is a blonde in this film. Just neutral on this one although it’s kind of fun to see the two in their relative youth in an old-fashioned prison movie, their only film together. It has a great title but the movie is only so-so. I thought the guards were too nice. One thing I learned from this film though is that crime does not pay!

I saw it on broadcast television.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Joker, on Amazon prime ($5.99 HD rental). Excellent. I haven't seen a movie like that in quite some time.

My head got twisted, as I'm also watching the The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (TV series). Those who've seen both will note that the main characters had similar roles from a very different perspective.

The last hour was intense. Joaquin Phoenix's performance was very reminiscent of Jack Nicholson (who also played the Joker in the first Batman movie).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Watched "Horrible Bosses" last night. Was good.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Also with George Clooney in "Money Monster". Kind of like a Jim Cramer "Mad Money" type adventure.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:49 am Joker, on Amazon prime ($5.99 HD rental). Excellent. I haven't seen a movie like that in quite some time.

My head got twisted, as I'm also watching the The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (TV series). Those who've seen both will note that the main characters had similar roles from a very different perspective.

The last hour was intense. Joaquin Phoenix's performance was very reminiscent of Jack Nicholson (who also played the Joker in the first Batman movie).
Thanks! I didn't know Joker was available on Amazon Prime as a rental. :happy
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Neither did I, until I checked last night. Also showing up on Amazon prime is Once Upon A Time...In Hollywood, $5.99 rental in HD. You can also get it for $4.99 in SD, but I don't consider that an option for my high-def home theater setup. That will be next.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
deanbrew

Post by deanbrew »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:54 am Neither did I, until I checked last night. Also showing up on Amazon prime is Once Upon A Time...In Hollywood, $5.99 rental in HD. You can also get it for $4.99 in SD, but I don't consider that an option for my high-def home theater setup. That will be next.
Do all for-rent movies on Amazon Prime eventually become available for free on Amazon Prime? Or do they just disappear?

I subscribe to Netflix, AP and YouTube TV, but am disappointed that when I search for movies I've made note to watch (not recent releases), I can't find them for free on any of my services.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:16 am
LadyGeek wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:49 am Joker, on Amazon prime ($5.99 HD rental). Excellent. I haven't seen a movie like that in quite some time.

Thanks! I didn't know Joker was available on Amazon Prime as a rental. :happy
It's also available on Blu-ray, which will be higher quality than any streaming.
At Redbox you can rent the 4K UHD Blu-ray disc for $2.50, or regular HD disc for $2.00.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:54 am Neither did I, until I checked last night. Also showing up on Amazon prime is Once Upon A Time...In Hollywood, $5.99 rental in HD. You can also get it for $4.99 in SD, but I don't consider that an option for my high-def home theater setup. That will be next.
:thumbsup :happy
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

deanbrew wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:33 am I subscribe to Netflix, AP and YouTube TV, but am disappointed that when I search for movies I've made note to watch (not recent releases), I can't find them for free on any of my services.
One site/app I have found that helps is justwatch.com .
You can look up movies and it will find which services offer it and at what price.

For example :
https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/joker-2019

You can see a rental of Joker is $5.99 on all the streaming services, whereas the superior 4K Blu-ray disc costs $2/$2.50 to rent, if you have a Redbox nearby. The price of convenience, I guess. But it still makes no sense the physical disc should cost less, when it costs more to manufacture.

In the past, I have been loathe to use streaming, because the quality left too much to be desired, especially in the area of audio. I have been revisiting that decision as the selection of 4K Bluray discs available is not big enough, and they still cost about $20 to purchase each on average, and most are not available for rental.

I started looking into streaming recently. I found the various services require different devices to use, and have different quality in terms of bit rate and supported audio/video formats. It can make quite a bit of difference depending on your setup.

See https://www.nakamichi-usa.com/the-ultim ... tmos-guide

For example, I found that Netflix on my Chromecast ultra supports 4K HDR video, but not Dolby Atmos. Too bad given my home theater has 15 speakers.

On my Sony UBP-X800 4K Blu-ray player, it's the opposite. Netflix only shows HD video, but it has Dolby Atmos audio.

Same on my home theater PC. Netflix in HD but with Atmos. Apparently because its GPU only has 2GB of VRAM. I'm going to swap the GT1030 GPU with the GT1050 in of my other PCs today and see if I can get both 4K HDR + Atmos to work in the HTPC.

The Fandango Now service doesn't support 4K on any of my existing devices, so I ruled out using it. I would need a Roku for that to work, apparently.

Vudu does work with both 4K and Dolby Atmos on my Chromecast ultra.

Seems like Prime video does 4K on my Chromecast Ultra, but not Dolby Atmos.

It really is a pain that each streaming service has their own device lock-in, and specific DRM. At least I don't have to worry about Dolby Vision since my 4K projector doesn't support it. For now, I have subscribed to Netflix 4K plan and the Amazon Prime video, but I haven't yet succeeded getting both 4K and Atmos to work with either of these services. Just one or the other. No such issue with Blu-ray discs - they all work with 4K HDR and Atmos, when the discs include them.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

madbrain wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:28 pm I found the various services require different devices to use, and have different quality in terms of bit rate and supported audio/video formats. It can make quite a bit of difference depending on your setup.
I find that frustrating as well.

Another example of my frustration: Amazon has the old Perry Mason shows which used to be included with a subscription to the service. Now that CBS has started it's own streaming service one must pay a separate fee to watch Perry Mason, and pay a bit extra to see it without ads. Rats!

I think the streaming universe still has a lot of sorting out to do. My fear is that the streaming universe will be so shattered you will need to subscribe to a dozed or so services to get what used to be available on just a couple.

It will be nice if (when?) all the studios bypass the OTA networks and provide content directly to the streaming services. I think that's the future but don't know how far off that is.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Jason Bourne.
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

Midway (2019) at the local dollar theater. As a big fan of the original Midway (1976), I think they did a really nice job with this.

Saw "Won't You Be My Neighbor" a few weeks ago online. Very good.

Tuesday I will see "Richard Jewell" at the dollar theater.
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
Foredeck

Post by Foredeck »

Smokey and the Bandit 1977.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

bertilak wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:01 pm
madbrain wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:28 pm I found the various services require different devices to use, and have different quality in terms of bit rate and supported audio/video formats. It can make quite a bit of difference depending on your setup.

Another example of my frustration: Amazon has the old Perry Mason shows which used to be included with a subscription to the service. Now that CBS has started it's own streaming service one must pay a separate fee to watch Perry Mason, and pay a bit extra to see it without ads. Rats!

I think the streaming universe still has a lot of sorting out to do. My fear is that the streaming universe will be so shattered you will need to subscribe to a dozed or so services to get what used to be available on just a couple.

It will be nice if (when?) all the studios bypass the OTA networks and provide content directly to the streaming services. I think that's the future but don't know how far off that is.
I still have a Dish Network subscription after 22 years. It's the minimum package which runs $39/month with taxes and includes the local networks, delivered over satellite. That's basically all the channels I watch. I almost never tune to any other channels. In large part I have kept the subscription because of the great Dish Hopper DVR service. I can control it easily with just an old fashioned infrared remote. It has "auto-hop" to automatically skip commercials. But if you want to watch new CBS shows, you have to wait one week for the auto-hop feature to be enabled. On other channels, it's just 1 day. This is because agreements between CBS and Dish. The software experience with Dish has degraded over the years, though. Browser-based playback from my desktop PC in the house hardly works anymore. When it does work, the subtitles are no longer readable. The Dish Anywhere Android app works more reliably, but unfortunately can't cast (I wish to cast the audio to my Chromecast audio in the house).

You can still fast forward 30 seconds / go back 10 seconds with the Dish DVR, though, so this is not a big deal. I usually start watching the shows about 15 minutes after they started, and skip commercials manually. I end up seeing the end of the program live.

I did a free trial of Youtube TV last year. I found that the fast forward / backwards feature was disabled for new CBS shows ! This isn't really DVR at all if you are forced to skip commercials. I cancelled Youtube TV the same day because I couldn't deal with that.

I do have a rooftop OTA antenna which gets good reception. My HTPC has 6 HD tuners and plenty of storage. And it has an IR receiver too. Unfortunately, I have not found software that comes close to the Dish network DVR in terms of usability. If I did, I would cancel the Dish subscription today. I have tried JRiver media center, but just had too many problems with it (bugs, interface usability issues).

I think I will end up buying a Tivo OTA DVR device . Not sure which one. Some require a monthly subscription service. Seems like the Tivo Bolt OTA would work, but it's $182 for the device, plus $249 for lifetime service, or $70/year. It supports streaming with Netflix and Prime Video in 4K also; but not Dolby Atmos on either - sigh.

I'm already over the 1TB data cap for Comcast many months without the use of streaming. It would cost an extra $50/month to go to unlimited data every month. That would cancel out any savings from not having the Dish subscription for TV anymore.

Overall, the fragmentation of services and devices means that entertainment costs are going up...
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

madbrain wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:02 pm
bertilak wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:01 pm

I still have a Dish Network subscription after 22 years. It's the minimum package which runs $39/month with taxes and includes the local networks, delivered over satellite. That's basically all the channels I watch. I almost never tune to any other channels. In large part I have kept the subscription because of the great Dish Hopper DVR service. I can control it easily with just an old fashioned infrared remote. It has "auto-hop" to automatically skip commercials. But if you want to watch new CBS shows, you have to wait one week for the auto-hop feature to be enabled. On other channels, it's just 1 day. This is because agreements between CBS and Dish. The software experience with Dish has degraded over the years, though. Browser-based playback from my desktop PC in the house hardly works anymore. When it does work, the subtitles are no longer readable. The Dish Anywhere Android app works more reliably, but unfortunately can't cast (I wish to cast the audio to my Chromecast audio in the house).

You can still fast forward 30 seconds / go back 10 seconds with the Dish DVR, though, so this is not a big deal. I usually start watching the shows about 15 minutes after they started, and skip commercials manually. I end up seeing the end of the program live.

I did a free trial of Youtube TV last year. I found that the fast forward / backwards feature was disabled for new CBS shows ! This isn't really DVR at all if you are forced to skip commercials. I cancelled Youtube TV the same day because I couldn't deal with that.

I do have a rooftop OTA antenna which gets good reception. My HTPC has 6 HD tuners and plenty of storage. And it has an IR receiver too. Unfortunately, I have not found software that comes close to the Dish network DVR in terms of usability. If I did, I would cancel the Dish subscription today. I have tried JRiver media center, but just had too many problems with it (bugs, interface usability issues).

I think I will end up buying a Tivo OTA DVR device . Not sure which one. Some require a monthly subscription service. Seems like the Tivo Bolt OTA would work, but it's $182 for the device, plus $249 for lifetime service, or $70/year. It supports streaming with Netflix and Prime Video in 4K also; but not Dolby Atmos on either - sigh.

I'm already over the 1TB data cap for Comcast many months without the use of streaming. It would cost an extra $50/month to go to unlimited data every month. That would cancel out any savings from not having the Dish subscription for TV anymore.

Overall, the fragmentation of services and devices means that entertainment costs are going up...
I bought a TiVo Roamio 500 GB OTA with Lifetime Service for $300 - 5 years ago. I dropped DirecTV after 8 years. Great bargain! Still works great, use it daily. Has Apps MLB.TV, Youtube, Amazon & Netflix. I get all the networks & PBS off a $40 RCA antenna in the attic. Wasn't sure at the time (nor was my wife) but it was a great bargain.
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

I went to “Little Women” on Friday. All attendees were my age or older (60’s and up). Usher (70+) said his wife made him go and he was glad he went.

Varies a bit from the book, but not much. The book was a favorite. Had a bit of trouble distinguishing past and present times, but was still delightful. Lots of fun. Enjoyed it immensely.

Loved the senior discount.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962) James Stewart, John Wayne, Vera Miles, Lee Marvin, Edmond O’Brien, Andy Devine, Lee Van Cleef, John Carradine, Denver Pyle, Strother Martin, Directed by John Ford.

A senator, who became famous for killing a notorious outlaw, returns for the funeral of an old friend and tells the truth about his deed.

Pure sweet fun all the way! Highly recommended. All-star cast. Not to be missed by any western fan. Superb performances by all. (Not my first viewing).

Also listen to the song of the same title sung by Gene Pitney (not included in the film). The song spent 13 weeks on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, peaking at No. 4.

We borrowed the DVD from our local public library.
Last edited by Nicolas on Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.