Fidelity free Turbotax [2016 - 2021]

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
RickBoglehead

Re: Fidelity Free Turbotax 2019

Post by RickBoglehead »

seawolf21 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:26 am
HereToLearn wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:14 pm I see the offer for free Premier on my Summary page; thank you!

I purchased the CD version from Costco before year end, but I need to file in two states on behalf of my son. Does anyone know if I can download the free Premier via the Fidelity link and use the second state from the online version? I am guessing that I cannot cross between the CD version and the online?

Or maybe I can? I assume the online version will be able to pull his prior year's return from my computer, but will I be able to use the purchased CD version together with the free download so as to file his two states together?
If you are trying to file two state for the same taxpayer, you will likely need purchase the license for the 2nd state within the same product (CD vs. online). The tax file containing the state information will only prompt you to purchase the additional state; it won't enable the state for free.

No, you cannot combine an online version and a CD/download version to file one return in two states. You need to have both states in the same software (online or download) to allow it to distribute things correctly.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
HereToLearn

Post by HereToLearn »

RickBoglehead wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:08 am
HereToLearn wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:14 pm I see the offer for free Premier on my Summary page; thank you!

I purchased the CD version from Costco before year end, but I need to file in two states on behalf of my son. Does anyone know if I can download the free Premier via the Fidelity link and use the second state from the online version? I am guessing that I cannot cross between the CD version and the online?

Or maybe I can? I assume the online version will be able to pull his prior year's return from my computer, but will I be able to use the purchased CD version together with the free download so as to file his two states together?
If you are trying to file two state for the same taxpayer, you will likely need purchase the license for the 2nd state within the same product (CD vs. online). The tax file containing the state information will only prompt you to purchase the additional state; it won't enable the state for free.

No, you cannot combine an online version and a CD/download version to file one return in two states. You need to have both states in the same software (online or download) to allow it to distribute things correctly.
Thank you seawolf & RichBoglehead. That is what I was afraid of. I do need to file two state returns for the same person, due to partial year living in two different states. His tax situation is so simple that it is frustrating to pay the additional $40. Thanks again!
retired recently

Post by retired recently »

I got it too. I think this is the first year in a while that I did not have to call and complain to get it. Thanks everyone for starting this thread and notifying us when it was available.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

HereToLearn wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:15 am

Thank you seawolf & RichBoglehead. That is what I was afraid of. I do need to file two state returns for the same person, due to partial year living in two different states. His tax situation is so simple that it is frustrating to pay the additional $40. Thanks again!
Another option is to do the 2nd state manually. Some states are quite easy - you simply look at the income earned in that state during the time the person was in that state. Other states have more complex formulas.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio »

HereToLearn wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:15 am

I did GA state return by hand after reading the instructions and understanding the Previous year's return to fill the current year return some years back. if you understood last year return then current year will be easy to fill up.
Also, fill the second state in software to check if your hand calculated number and software numbers are mathcing. if matched then you are good.
Just delete the second state when filing.

Though my final numbers matched with software, I did made one mistake when i do hand written calculation, i called GA state and told them correction and they did that on the spot but still final numbers were in tact. Customer support also told few corrections are doable at their end and no need to file amendment for that. So your final number and software final number matches then you are good.
Read and under stood the last year return before taking hand calculations....
Allocation : 80/20 (90% TSM, 10% on ARKK,XBI,XLK/individual stocks and 20% TBM) | | Need to learn fishing sooner
blastoff

Post by blastoff »

Another data point:
No TurboTax offer for me on Summary Page.
I have received the free turbo tax offer in prior years.. maybe 2014-2016 range. I haven't got the offer the past couple years (despite my only real change being increased asset levels at fidelity).
It does say "private client" when I log-in, whatever that means.
I'm definitely not an active trader.
I do have the asset levels people cite (i have them in taxable alone, as well as some additional retirement assets).

Thanks to RickBoglehead, I got a good deal on turbotax from amazon and purchased it a week or two ago.
LiveSimple

Available, Jan 7, 2020, Fidelity Free Turbotax 2019

Post by LiveSimple »

The Turbotax at Fidelity for free, did show up today in my page, please scroll down to the bottom to see....

Was able to download as well.
Invest when you have the money, sell when you need the money, for real life expenses...
zymurgist

Post by zymurgist »

I am not seeing the Fidelity offer on my account page, but I don't recall receiving it in the past either.

Target's current TT prices differ from Amazon's by a few cents, plus they're offering a $5 gift card with a purchase. In my case, an additional 5% discount for paying with a Red Card was enough additional gravy on top to entice me to just buy it and be done with it. The gift card will not go to waste with as much as my family shops at Target.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

zymurgist wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:55 am I am not seeing the Fidelity offer on my account page, but I don't recall receiving it in the past either.

Target's current TT prices differ from Amazon's by a few cents, plus they're offering a $5 gift card with a purchase. In my case, an additional 5% discount for paying with a Red Card was enough additional gravy on top to entice me to just buy it and be done with it. The gift card will not go to waste with as much as my family shops at Target.
Costco is the same as Amazon, but with our executive membership, we will get an additional 2% back.
mtmingus

Post by mtmingus »

Thanks Fido!

Get TurboTax® Online Premier free

Receive a free federal and state tax return
TurboTax® will automatically import your Fidelity account info
Get your refund quickly by direct depositing into your Fidelity account
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

sailaway wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:58 am
zymurgist wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:55 am I am not seeing the Fidelity offer on my account page, but I don't recall receiving it in the past either.

Costco is the same as Amazon, but with our executive membership, we will get an additional 2% back.
Make sure to spend that 80 cents wisely! :P
Theseus

Post by Theseus »

Was able to download using Firefox. I got an error in Safari. Then I tried Firefox. It had me upgrade (hadn't upgraded in a while). Then initially it didn't show the download link at the bottom of the page. I refreshed the page and it showed up. After that it downloaded. Last year it was so difficult and had to get the support get me the software after hours on the phone. I could easily afford it, but I had time on my hands in the bad weather and though might as well :). But this year was a breeze.
Topic Author
Hayden

Post by Hayden »

Got the download easily this year. They seemed to have improved the process over past years.
Jablean

Post by Jablean »

Not a private/premier client but enough in so I can see the performance tab, turbotax offer is just for 20% off. Oh well, I bought on the Amazon deal too.
core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio »

got the free one today. Thanks Fideity :)
Allocation : 80/20 (90% TSM, 10% on ARKK,XBI,XLK/individual stocks and 20% TBM) | | Need to learn fishing sooner
2pedals

Post by 2pedals »

drewb wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:58 pm I just logged in to Fidelity and saw the free Premier Promo. Within Fidelity I had to go to the Summary Tab then in the lower right corner of the page was a small promo for the free TurboTax with a link "Get Started Now". I clicked the link and it went to Intuit's site and gave an error. Closing the browser and redoing this process took me to a proper landing page, but it was promoting the online version and I had to scroll to the bottom of their page and find a link to the downloadable desktop version. I also had to go through the checkout process and "paid" $0. Overall finding this promotion and going through the process was a bit of a kluge, but end result is a serial code that opens the Premier version of TurboTax so I'm happy.
👍
Thanks for this information, i was able to find the downloadable desktop version after Fidelity gave me the "Get Started Now" link for free online premier version.

For some reason I was unexpectedly added to the free Turbo Tax premier promo version this year for the first time. No status change, just more funds in the accounts. I already purchased the H&R Block federal deluxe version this year when it was on sale for $19.95 :oops: . I guess I will be evaluating the two different software packages this year.
hmw

Post by hmw »

I have private client status at Fidelity. Just checked today. No free TT. Just $20 off.

Anyone else who is a private client and not getting this free TT offer?
NavyIC3

Post by NavyIC3 »

hmw wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:58 pm I have private client status at Fidelity. Just checked today. No free TT. Just $20 off.

Same here. Private client no link. Was getting it for the last few years but not this year. I called Fido. Gave me a vague answer. Told me maybe Thursday link will appear.
redhead100

Post by redhead100 »

hmw wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:58 pm I have private client status at Fidelity. Just checked today. No free TT. Just $20 off.

PCG, yes. TT offer, no. called fido today. they said wait a week. :annoyed
-
duckcalldan

Post by duckcalldan »

PCG client, got the offer the past 2 years, have it again this year.
sfnerd

Post by sfnerd »

PCG, got it again this year, 4th year in a row.
anon3838

Post by anon3838 »

protagonist wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:17 pm
HueyLD wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:18 am My guess is that only those with $5M+ or those who have generated certain revenue levels are likely to get such an offer.

This makes me laugh.
I'm thinking about how desperate somebody with $5M+ assets with Fidelity would be to save 20 or 50 dollars on tax software, that Fidelity would use that as an advertising perk.
Or they were influenced by the info in “Millionaire Nextdoor”, which has consulted with many companies on how to cater to affluent investors.
anon3838

Post by anon3838 »

After seeing this thread I logged into Fidelity and got access to TT 2019, but I was guessing that at some point I’m gonna be asked to pay for it.

I don’t know how to tell if I got a free copy, or if I’ll need to pay at time of filing.
tfb

Post by tfb »

Some private clients didn't get it. Sounds like it's only a necessary condition. Is anyone who got it NOT a private client? In that case, what does the top right in All Accounts show? Many mentioned their rep. Maybe you have to be a private client AND have a rep. Does anyone who got it NOT have a rep? If you have a rep, can you see the name of your rep somewhere like Vanguard used to show on the website?
Harry Sit has left the forums.
gpburdell

Post by gpburdell »

tfb wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:40 pm Some private clients didn't get it. Sounds like it's only a necessary condition. Is anyone who got it NOT a private client? In that case, what does the top right in All Accounts show? Many mentioned their rep. Maybe you have to be a private client AND have a rep. Does anyone who got it NOT have a rep? If you have a rep, can you see the name of your rep somewhere like Vanguard used to show on the website?
I got it and not a private client; this is the 3rd year in a row I've gotten TT Premier free. In the top right, it says I am "Active Trader" (no specific rep; just a phone number). I am by no means active like a day trader and typically average a couple buy/sell transactions a month. I do have several accounts with Fido (taxable, roth/rollover ira, cma, hsa, visa cc) and not sure if that is a factor or not.

My parents used to get TT free when they had their accounts managed by Fido. A couple years ago I took over handling their accounts and since they don't get it free. On their account it says "Fidelity Premium Services" and shows their rep's picture, email, phone #. So I have no idea what the criteria is they use to determine who gets it or not.
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple »

anon3838 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:21 pm After seeing this thread I logged into Fidelity and got access to TT 2019, but I was guessing that at some point I’m gonna be asked to pay for it.

I don’t know how to tell if I got a free copy, or if I’ll need to pay at time of filing.
You will not be asked to pay later. Enjoy.
Invest when you have the money, sell when you need the money, for real life expenses...
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

anon3838 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:20 pm
HueyLD wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:18 am My guess is that only those with $5M+ or those who have generated certain revenue levels are likely to get such an offer.

This makes me laugh.
I'm thinking about how desperate somebody with $5M+ assets with Fidelity would be to save 20 or 50 dollars on tax software, that Fidelity would use that as an advertising perk.
Or they were influenced by the info in “Millionaire Nextdoor”, which has consulted with many companies on how to cater to affluent investors.
With the industry at $0 commissions, Fido is differentiating from Schwab/eTrade/Vanugard with this offer. Your ROI is going to be the same for a given investment regardless of brokerage it is held at especially for passive investors.

I'm sure some customers wouldn't care about this offer but Fido likely has the data to indicate a lot of their customers do care.
radiowave

Post by radiowave »

So it says I'm Fidelity Premium Services and have a person assigned to me (picture and phone number). I don't see anything about Private Client? Is this the same thing.

BTW I do have a link to free Turbo Tax but the link is broken (using Firefox browser).
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
TBillT

Post by TBillT »

radiowave wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:19 am So it says I'm Fidelity Premium Services and have a person assigned to me (picture and phone number). I don't see anything about Private Client? Is this the same thing.

BTW I do have a link to free Turbo Tax but the link is broken (using Firefox browser).
I had a problem with the link at first.
I had to close out my browser and try again, and then it worked.
blastoff

Post by blastoff »

seawolf21 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:00 am
anon3838 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:20 pm

This makes me laugh.
With the industry at $0 commissions, Fido is differentiating from Schwab/eTrade/Vanugard with this offer. Your ROI is going to be the same for a given investment regardless of brokerage it is held at especially for passive investors.

I'm sure some customers wouldn't care about this offer but Fido likely has the data to indicate a lot of their customers do care.
There are some items that people get more excited about saving on then others. Gas is one that comes to mind.

I have a feeling many people with a million invested would be happier with Fidelity if they got free TurboTax but paid 1 more basis point (albeit, still very low).
MarkerFM

Post by MarkerFM »

Here's my data point.

Have gotten it in the past every year since they started. A few days ago, I saw the message in my account but when I clicked on it, it gave the oops error page. Now the link does not appear.

Just checked wife's account. She has the link, but it also doesn't work. Tried Chrome, Firefox, Opera.

Both of us are Private Client, active trader with large account balances.

Conclusion after reading others' experiences: Fidelity is messed up and rolling this out is going to take some time. I'll check back in a week.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

MarkerFM wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:43 am Here's my data point.

Have gotten it in the past every year since they started. A few days ago, I saw the message in my account but when I clicked on it, it gave the oops error page. Now the link does not appear.

Just checked wife's account. She has the link, but it also doesn't work. Tried Chrome, Firefox, Opera.

Conclusion after reading others' experiences: Fidelity is messed up and rolling this out is going to take some time. I'll check back in a week.
Did you click on it more than once without logging out of Fidelity or closing the browser? From what I can tell, the link is based on a cookie set in browser in Fido. The first time you click on the link, Intuit will return no page found but if you click on it a second time, it should work.

But yeah, Fidelity could have made the hand off to Intuit cleaner.
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple »

blastoff wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:05 am I have a feeling many people with a million invested would be happier with Fidelity if they got free TurboTax but paid 1 more basis point (albeit, still very low).
Nothing for just satisfaction or money, but a convenience to download the software, within the Fido account.

Or else have to purchase CD at Costco, call Intuit to add the Download to the account and then download.
Horsefly

Post by Horsefly »

I saw the link yesterday morning on my main portfolio page, but when I clicked on it I got what I would guess is the same error on the Intuit site that everyone else was seeing. I tried different browsers (including Chrome incognito) but got the same error every time. Then I tried again yesterday afternoon and got through with no error. I downloaded TTax Premier and started plugging in data.

I'll probably still have my tax guy prepare my return, but I'll use this free TTax to come up with my quarterly estimated payments for the level of Roth conversion I'm planning to do.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

LiveSimple wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:14 am Or else have to purchase CD at Costco, call Intuit to add the Download to the account and then download.
Why? No CD reader on any machine? The file to install can easily be copied off a CD, doesn't have to be on the machine you're installing it on. I can access any DVD/CD reader on my home network.
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple »

RickBoglehead wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:22 am
LiveSimple wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:14 am Or else have to purchase CD at Costco, call Intuit to add the Download to the account and then download.
Why? No CD reader on any machine? The file to install can easily be copied off a CD, doesn't have to be on the machine you're installing it on. I can access any DVD/CD reader on my home network.
Have one portable DVD reader, but have to search for it at home, :D Only have flash drives using USB, if we do need to backup.
SurfCityBill

Post by SurfCityBill »

HueyLD wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:06 am
drewb wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:58 pm I just logged in to Fidelity and saw the free Premier Promo. Within Fidelity I had to go to the Summary Tab then in the lower right corner of the page was a small promo for the free TurboTax with a link "Get Started Now". I clicked the link and it went to Intuit's site and gave an error. Closing the browser and redoing this process took me to a proper landing page, but it was promoting the online version and I had to scroll to the bottom of their page and find a link to the downloadable desktop version. I also had to go through the checkout process and "paid" $0. Overall finding this promotion and going through the process was a bit of a kluge, but end result is a serial code that opens the Premier version of TurboTax so I'm happy.
I kept getting error messages (something like oops...) on the Intuit site. Finally had enough of that nonsense and called the TT customer support. It took quite an effort to talk to a human and the CSR suggested that I use a browser other than MS Edge.

Well, Firefox did the trick, but I wasted almost an hour of time and lots of frustration. The process has changed from prior years and for the first time a license code is required to activate the software.

Make sure you write down that lic. code.
Well, I guess I know where I stand with Fidelity. I have a current 401k, a former 401k, and an HSA with them and all I get is a link offering me $20 off TT. :annoyed
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

SurfCityBill wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:19 am
HueyLD wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:06 am
I kept getting error messages (something like oops...) on the Intuit site. Finally had enough of that nonsense and called the TT customer support. It took quite an effort to talk to a human and the CSR suggested that I use a browser other than MS Edge.

Well, Firefox did the trick, but I wasted almost an hour of time and lots of frustration. The process has changed from prior years and for the first time a license code is required to activate the software.

Make sure you write down that lic. code.
Well, I guess I know where I stand with Fidelity. I have a current 401k, a former 401k, and an HSA with them and all I get is a link offering me $20 off TT. :annoyed
Unfortunately, you sometimes don't get credit for 401Ks as Fidelity is often just the "recordkeeper" and those assets are officially not under their shield. I know this is the case for my 401K.
blastoff

Post by blastoff »

LiveSimple wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:14 am
blastoff wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:05 am I have a feeling many people with a million invested would be happier with Fidelity if they got free TurboTax but paid 1 more basis point (albeit, still very low).
Nothing for just satisfaction or money, but a convenience to download the software, within the Fido account.

Or else have to purchase CD at Costco, call Intuit to add the Download to the account and then download.
I purchased the download on amazon and it was very easy.
Perhaps I am missing something here?
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

blastoff wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:36 am I purchased the download on amazon and it was very easy.
Drama. :twisted:
cashboy

Post by cashboy »

my fidelity summary page has this at top:

Fidelity Private Client GroupSM

followed by the name and a pic of my advisor

but i do not see any link for free TT on that page (yet). i am not in a hurry, so i will keep checking back - more for fun than anything else. if all else fails i will just buy it.
Three-Fund Portfolio: FSPSX - FXAIX - FXNAX (with slight tilt of CASH - Canned Beans - Rice - Bottled Water)
the way

Post by the way »

RickBoglehead wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:48 am
blastoff wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:36 am I purchased the download on amazon and it was very easy.
I'm the monkey on the left https://youtu.be/meiU6TxysCg?t=78
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

drewb wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:58 pm I just logged in to Fidelity and saw the free Premier Promo. Within Fidelity I had to go to the Summary Tab then in the lower right corner of the page was a small promo for the free TurboTax with a link "Get Started Now".
I guess I am not worthy. :annoyed
blastoff

Post by blastoff »

the way wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:29 pm
RickBoglehead wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:48 am
I'm the monkey on the left https://youtu.be/meiU6TxysCg?t=78
I had never seen this video. It's outstanding - made my afternoon.

I was actually curious if there was something I was missing. I know the online version is different than the CD/DVD version which I only learned from here some years ago, so I could see that being a reason to have a preference. My understanding is the download version and the CD/DVD version are the same. Maybe there was something about costco/fido version I didn't know...
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple »

At least we learnt something with the last few messages :D
MarkerFM

Post by MarkerFM »

seawolf21 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:59 am

Did you click on it more than once without logging out of Fidelity or closing the browser? From what I can tell, the link is based on a cookie set in browser in Fido. The first time you click on the link, Intuit will return no page found but if you click on it a second time, it should work.

I clicked on it more than once and also closed the browser and tried again. No luck.
core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio »

deleted
Last edited by core4portfolio on Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio »

MarkerFM wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:11 pm

I clicked on it more than once and also closed the browser and tried again. No luck.
when you click the link you can see the priority code in the URL. call turbo tax and give this info.
they can fix price on your account as 0. they did this last year for me like that
2pedals

Post by 2pedals »

core4portfolio wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:52 pm

when you click the link you can see the priority code in the URL. call turbo tax and give this info.
they can fix price on your account as 0. they did this last year for me like that
I didn't click the link more than once. When the page error showed up I did a reload current page and then I was in. The reload function is clockwise arrow icon in firefox.
core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio »

2pedals wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:03 pm
core4portfolio wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:52 pm

I didn't click the link more than once. When the page error showed up I did a reload current page and then I was in. The reload function is clockwise arrow icon in firefox.
Click the link again to see thats the priority code showing in the url.
if you have that then TT customer support can able to waive that fees