Could not get a Macy's store credit card!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Topic Author
tigermilk
Posts: 641
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:32 am

Could not get a Macy's store credit card!

Post by tigermilk »

A bit of a funny/awkward situation - went shopping with my wife, MIL, and SIL the other day. All of them were buying purses, and when my wife was bring rung up, the salesperson asked if we had a Macy's card, which we don't (anymore). She said if we opened an account we'd save another 20%. $40 is $40, right? So we said sure, we'll open up an account. After a few minutes of entering data and waiting for the processing, the salesperson said that we could not get a credit card. My brain went into fast-processing mode to understand why, as I've been gainfully employed by the same employer for 30 years, six figure income, have a paid-off home, no car loans, credit cards pain in full each month, etc. Further, I'm a 401k (rather TSP) millionaire, yet here I was denied a credit card! Then I remembered...a couple of years ago our main credit card had fraudulent charges. Between that happening again (seemed like at least the 6th time), the OPM identity breach, and having IRS issues with folks trying to assume my identity, enough was enough. I put a hold on our credit. That is the only explanation I can come up with for not getting that Macy's card. However, the head scratcher for me is that over the summer I co-signed a mortgage for my MIL; she was in the process of moving near us and hadn't sold her other house. Being the nice SIL and all, I didn't want her to pull from her 401k for a down payment (take a bigger tax hit, significantly drop her balance, etc, so a short-term loan was ideal as we had the cash to cover) or monthly payments (cash flow issues while she was moving), so we paid the down payment in cash and cosigned. I was able to be a co-signer on a $220k loan, yet could not get a credit card for a $240 purse :confused

Lessons learned - either call the credit agencies in advance or just stick with the cards in my pocket.
Billionaire
Posts: 339
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:05 pm

Re: Could not get a Macy's store credit card!

Post by Billionaire »

I'm guessing it's because of the hold you have on your credit. If it's currently in place, you'll get denied. The Macy's salesperson probably wasn't in a position to tell you why it was denied.
User avatar
RickBoglehead
Posts: 5608
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am
Location: In a house

Re: Could not get a Macy's store credit card!

Post by RickBoglehead »

Could have done a temp unfreeze and she could have tried again.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
User avatar
Cheez-It Guy
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:20 pm

Re: Could not get a Macy's store credit card!

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

This happened to my parents at Home Depot a while back because they forgot I had frozen their credit or did not realize all the impacts. No big deal, and confirmation that the freeze works!
JediMisty
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:06 am
Location: Central NJ

Re: Could not get a Macy's store credit card!

Post by JediMisty »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:30 am This happened to my parents at Home Depot a while back because they forgot I had frozen their credit or did not realize all the impacts. No big deal, and confirmation that the freeze works!
+1. Same thing happened to me, but it was a Lowe's credit card after I had frozen my credit. Now, it's the excuse I use when I'm badgered at the checkout line to get a card. (I often get the "offer" to open a store card twice more after saying "no, thanks")
furwut
Posts: 1691
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:54 pm

Re: Could not get a Macy's store credit card!

Post by furwut »

From time to time I like to take out new credit cards for the signup bonuses- it’s an easy $150. Last 2 times I forget to unfreeze my credit before applying :oops:.
User avatar
JMacDonald
Posts: 2330
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:53 pm

Re: Could not get a Macy's store credit card!

Post by JMacDonald »

Join the crowd! I was recently turned down for a JetBlue CC. I unfroze two of the three companies, but could not unfreeze Experian for some unknown reason so I applied anyway. Barclays sent me a letter wanting to see my tax returns. Well, that was a bridge too far for me as I have never had to produce my tax returns before. I waited and finally manage to open Experian and applied again. I got another letter stating I was denied because of too many applications. Now I have what I consider to be perfect credit, but apparently Barclays doesn't think so. So much for Barclays.
Best Wishes, | Joe
ruhigste
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:13 am

Re: Could not get a Macy's store credit card!

Post by ruhigste »

RickBoglehead wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:27 am Could have done a temp unfreeze and she could have tried again.
I had to do this last weekend to join a credit union. I couldn't get transunion to unfreeze, so they accepted one of the other two instead. Nice. Hughes Federal Credit Union. Easiest way to get cash at this resort.
Freefun
Posts: 661
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:55 pm

Re: Could not get a Macy's store credit card!

Post by Freefun »

I’m denied all the time due to my freezes. That’s the intent. I haven’t applied for anything but strange folks do using my identity.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
Broken Man 1999
Posts: 5309
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:31 am
Location: West coast of Florida, inland on high ground!

Re: Could not get a Macy's store credit card!

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

JMacDonald wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:09 am Join the crowd! I was recently turned down for a JetBlue CC. I unfroze two of the three companies, but could not unfreeze Experian for some unknown reason so I applied anyway. Barclays sent me a letter wanting to see my tax returns. Well, that was a bridge too far for me as I have never had to produce my tax returns before. I waited and finally manage to open Experian and applied again. I got another letter stating I was denied because of too many applications. Now I have what I consider to be perfect credit, but apparently Barclays doesn't think so. So much for Barclays.
I have had good experiences with Barclays thus far. When I started bumping up to 50% utilization on my Priceline Visa card I asked Barclays to increase my credit limit from $12,000 to $20,000. I had not even thought about the fact my credit was frozen at all three major companies. I received a letter that stated they were unable to do a credit pull, but they would honor my request. I do have a several year history with them, and I'm not sure why they even wanted to do a pull anyway.

But, to your point, I wouldn't send my tax returns to any credit card company, have never had to do so, and no intent to do so, willingly. Maybe when DW and/or DDs want to put me in a home, I might have to do so. Though, at thaat point I doubt I would know, or care all that much.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
michaeljc70
Posts: 7252
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: Could not get a Macy's store credit card!

Post by michaeljc70 »

I think you are right that it is the hold on your report. $40 may be $40, but you can get much bigger rewards than that for opening a credit card (depending on your monthly spending). Pretty much every credit inquiry is a small hit to your credit and I wouldn't waste it for $40. I don't open a new credit card for less than a $500 reward. I got $700 from Venture Capital card a few months ago. Even if you don't charge a lot, I think you can do better than $40.
fru-gal
Posts: 1590
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:48 pm
Location: New England

Re: Could not get a Macy's store credit card!

Post by fru-gal »

Lost a $100 bonus for getting an Amazon credit card because I forgot to unfreeze my credit. They've never offered again, probably the fail caused them to think I'm a bad credit risk.
deltaneutral83
Posts: 1728
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:25 pm

Re: Could not get a Macy's store credit card!

Post by deltaneutral83 »

Let's address the main issue which is using a credit pull to get $40. There are at least ten credit cards that will give you $500 for sign up alone.
michaelingp
Posts: 387
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:46 pm

Re: Could not get a Macy's store credit card!

Post by michaelingp »

I had very similar situation at LL Bean. I'm not sure whether I remembered the freeze, or the sales help informed me. The critical piece was they told me which credit bureau they use. I went outside and temporarily unfroze on my phone, which was a little painful due to the small display and keyboard but was doable. Within a half hour I had my discount.
User avatar
celia
Posts: 11534
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:32 am
Location: SoCal

Re: Could not get a Macy's store credit card!

Post by celia »

tigermilk wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:12 am ...the salesperson asked if we had a Macy's card, which we don't (anymore)...
I don't think the credit freeze is necessarily the problem. When you closed the account, you may have made it a "permanent" close. I would call the store and confirm the reason with them, just to be sure.
User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 22153
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!
Contact:

Re: Could not get a Macy's store credit card!

Post by abuss368 »

It is probably related to freezing the credit. I have heard of this before.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 22153
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!
Contact:

Re: Could not get a Macy's store credit card!

Post by abuss368 »

We have a couple of store credit cards that are used for discounts and perks. I can not wait for the day my spouse closes them and we simply use our one main credit card. Less! Less! Less!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
stoptothink
Posts: 8497
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Could not get a Macy's store credit card!

Post by stoptothink »

abuss368 wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:01 pm We have a couple of store credit cards that are used for discounts and perks. I can not wait for the day my spouse closes them and we simply use our one main credit card. Less! Less! Less!
The only one we have ever opened is Old Navy, that's because we got 50% of the initial shopping trip purchase. I believe we also get 15% off every purchase at Banana Republic outlet if using the card. We bought clothes for our kids for about the next 3yrs that day and I'm not sure it has been used a single time since.
User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 22153
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!
Contact:

Re: Could not get a Macy's store credit card!

Post by abuss368 »

stoptothink wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:09 pm
abuss368 wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:01 pm We have a couple of store credit cards that are used for discounts and perks. I can not wait for the day my spouse closes them and we simply use our one main credit card. Less! Less! Less!
The only one we have ever opened is Old Navy, that's because we got 50% of the initial shopping trip purchase. I believe we also get 15% off every purchase at Banana Republic outlet if using the card. We bought clothes for our kids for about the next 3yrs that day and I'm not sure it has been used a single time since.
Funny you mention that! Old Navy is on of the two cards we have for all the perks. Helps when needing to buy the kids clothes! The other card is Kohl's which gives a lot of perks. Spouse loves them!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Larry2623
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:23 pm

Re: Could not get a Macy's store credit card!

Post by Larry2623 »

Not a good idea to take a hit on credit for $40 for a store credit card...much better deals for opening a cc
rich126
Posts: 2136
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:56 pm

Re: Could not get a Macy's store credit card!

Post by rich126 »

I usually avoid store cards and had a bad experience with a Macy card years ago.

I have excellent credit but a credit union refused to allow me to open an account claiming someone else was using my ss#. They refused any details, told me to contact the police. The police said without evidence from the bank, which they refused to give me directly they couldn’t do anything. Seemed like a catch 22 situation.

I would have been more worried but I had obtained a number of credit cards, a refi on a mortgage and never had a problem prior or after the denial by the cu. Not sure what they thought was going on but Maybe they mistyped something. This happened a decade ago.
Post Reply