529 Advice for California Resident

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Post Reply
Topic Author
cchan05
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:43 pm

529 Advice for California Resident

Post by cchan05 »

Hi Bogleheads, my wife and I would like to open a 529 by the end of the year, and have narrowed it down to the following options: CA, NV, UT, VA and IL. These plans came to our attention because they've had high ratings on Morningstar and/or highly recommended on forums like Bogleheads.

As CA residents, we don't get any state tax deductions, so here are our current considerations.

# California
- Just got the coveted Morningstar Gold rating for 529 plans in 2019 because they implemented a better glide path
- In the event that CA passes a law that allows for deductions for 529 contributions (an attempt was made earlier this year), we'll already have funds in place

# Nevada
- Can be opened on the Vanguard website. We're already Vanguard users, so it will be nice to have a consolidated dashboard
- But, Morningstar stripped their Gold rating because they "haven’t kept pace with the cheapest plans"

# Utah
- Lots of Bogleheads seem to use / like this one

# Illinois
- They seem to have upped their game in 2017, they come highly recommended in some talks we've been to

Don't know much about the Virginia plan.

Any advice? Thanks in advance!
pkcrafter
Posts: 14662
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:19 pm
Location: CA
Contact:

Re: 529 Advice for California Resident

Post by pkcrafter »

Here is some information that may help.

https://www.savingforcollege.com/articl ... -529-plans


Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.
ellink
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:54 pm

Re: 529 Advice for California Resident

Post by ellink »

The link about the CA 529 is interesting but the OP is asking for help in comparing several plans. I'm also interested.
pkcrafter
Posts: 14662
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:19 pm
Location: CA
Contact:

Re: 529 Advice for California Resident

Post by pkcrafter »

ellink wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:42 am The link about the CA 529 is interesting but the OP is asking for help in comparing several plans. I'm also interested.
There is a lot of information on the Saving for College site, but now the site is mucked up with adverts, including Vanguard!

https://www.savingforcollege.com/intro- ... -available


Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.
SurfCityBill
Posts: 547
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: 529 Advice for California Resident

Post by SurfCityBill »

I've been invested in the CA Scholarshare Plan for over 20 years and into the distribution phase of the plan. It's changed management firms a few times and is currently run by TIAA/CREF. Despite the fact that CA allows no state tax deduction for investors, I have found the program to be very good. It has always been easy to make deposits, track progress, view and change options, and make withdrawals.
Topic Author
cchan05
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:43 pm

Re: 529 Advice for California Resident

Post by cchan05 »

SurfCityBill wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:05 pm I've been invested in the CA Scholarshare Plan for over 20 years and into the distribution phase of the plan. It's changed management firms a few times and is currently run by TIAA/CREF. Despite the fact that CA allows no state tax deduction for investors, I have found the program to be very good. It has always been easy to make deposits, track progress, view and change options, and make withdrawals.
Thanks SurfCityBill! So we decided to go with Vanguard / Nevada for the UI, specifically the Aggressive Growth Age-based Plan. Expense ratio is 0.15% which was on the low end of their offerings.
Spirit Rider
Posts: 13977
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:39 pm

Re: 529 Advice for California Resident

Post by Spirit Rider »

Last time I looked the CA ScholarShare plan had the lowest expense ratios of any nationwide 529 plan.

If the convenience of NV plan appeals to you, that may be a valid reason to consider NV.

At one time the Utah was among the lowest price plans, but it is no more. There is very little reason to with Utah for a new plan as a CA resident.

Like in many other areas, state 529 plans with Vanguard as the administrator or with Vanguard funds are no longer the low cost leaders.
jdouge
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:15 pm

Re: 529 Advice for California Resident

Post by jdouge »

I live in CA and use the Utah options because of its low ER funds (lots of Vanguard options!) and customizable AA.

Started in the Ohio version of the 529. That was fine, but eventually decided to move for the above reasons.
FB01
Posts: 609
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:36 am

Re: 529 Advice for California Resident

Post by FB01 »

jdouge wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:37 pm I live in CA and use the Utah options because of its low ER funds (lots of Vanguard options!) and customizable AA.

Started in the Ohio version of the 529. That was fine, but eventually decided to move for the above reasons.
I am also in the same boat. Am CA resident and investing in Ohio. I have using Vanguard 500 Index fund offered by Ohio and expense ratio is 0.18%. What sort of ER funds does Utah offers. Can you please let me know so that I can also switch?

Thanks,
Thanks, | JR
Spirit Rider
Posts: 13977
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:39 pm

Re: 529 Advice for California Resident

Post by Spirit Rider »

jdouge wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:37 pm I live in CA and use the Utah options because of its low ER funds (lots of Vanguard options!) and customizable AA.
The CA ScholarShare plan offers single fund investment options to achieve the same thing at lower costs. Vanguard has not been the only index road to Dublin for quite some time now.

The Utah my529 plan customizable option adds a 0.18% admin asset fee to the underlying expense ratios. The result is that your total Utah my529 annual asset based fee is likely to be approximately twice the CA ScholarShare annual asset based fee of a similar asset ratio.
Spirit Rider
Posts: 13977
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:39 pm

Re: 529 Advice for California Resident

Post by Spirit Rider »

jdouge wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:37 pm I live in CA and use the Utah options because of its low ER funds (lots of Vanguard options!) and customizable AA.
The CA ScholarShare plan offers single fund investment options to achieve the same thing at lower costs. Vanguard has not been the only index road to Dublin for quite some time now. Sometimes blind loyalty is counter-productive.

The Utah my529 plan customizable option adds a 0.18% admin asset fee to the underlying expense ratios. The result is that your total Utah my529 annual asset based fee is likely to be approximately twice the CA ScholarShare annual asset based fee of a similar asset ratio.
FB01
Posts: 609
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:36 am

Re: 529 Advice for California Resident

Post by FB01 »

Spirit Rider wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:42 pm
jdouge wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:37 pm I live in CA and use the Utah options because of its low ER funds (lots of Vanguard options!) and customizable AA.
The CA ScholarShare plan offers single fund investment options to achieve the same thing at lower costs. Vanguard has not been the only index road to Dublin for quite some time now. Sometimes blind loyalty is counter-productive.

The Utah my529 plan customizable option adds a 0.18% admin asset fee to the underlying expense ratios. The result is that your total Utah my529 annual asset based fee is likely to be approximately twice the CA ScholarShare annual asset based fee of a similar asset ratio.
Which website you are talking about? is this the one https://www.scholarshare529.com?

THanks,
Thanks, | JR
Gleevec
Posts: 341
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:25 am

Re: 529 Advice for California Resident

Post by Gleevec »

Spirit Rider wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:42 pm
jdouge wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:37 pm I live in CA and use the Utah options because of its low ER funds (lots of Vanguard options!) and customizable AA.
The CA ScholarShare plan offers single fund investment options to achieve the same thing at lower costs. Vanguard has not been the only index road to Dublin for quite some time now. Sometimes blind loyalty is counter-productive.

The Utah my529 plan customizable option adds a 0.18% admin asset fee to the underlying expense ratios. The result is that your total Utah my529 annual asset based fee is likely to be approximately twice the CA ScholarShare annual asset based fee of a similar asset ratio.
Exactly, Utah and Nevada are now laggards at 0.2 and 0.15%. California TSM is 0.08% all included, I have not found anyone else close. For a state without a 529 state deduction, California currently has the best 529 plan and it’s not even that close

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/529_cost_comparisons
gurusw
Posts: 217
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 9:37 am

Re: 529 Advice for California Resident

Post by gurusw »

This is what scholarshare529 says (https://www.scholarshare529.com/plan/de ... details-10):
While contributions are not deductible for California income tax purposes, earnings accrue free of state income tax. Any withdrawals used for qualified higher education expenses and outgoing rollovers to other qualified 529 plans and 529A ABLE accounts are also state income tax free.
If I go with VG (Nevada) or Fidelity (New Hampshire) plan, would they also offer the same tax benefits for CA? or would CA tax me on the 529 withdrawals if the plan is from another state?
BernardShakey
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:52 pm
Location: CA

Re: 529 Advice for California Resident

Post by BernardShakey »

SurfCityBill wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:05 pm I've been invested in the CA Scholarshare Plan for over 20 years and into the distribution phase of the plan. It's changed management firms a few times and is currently run by TIAA/CREF. Despite the fact that CA allows no state tax deduction for investors, I have found the program to be very good. It has always been easy to make deposits, track progress, view and change options, and make withdrawals.
+1 and pretty low fees too.
An important key to investing is having a well-calibrated sense of your future regret.
Bfwolf
Posts: 2053
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:19 am

Re: 529 Advice for California Resident

Post by Bfwolf »

gurusw wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:39 pm This is what scholarshare529 says (https://www.scholarshare529.com/plan/de ... details-10):
While contributions are not deductible for California income tax purposes, earnings accrue free of state income tax. Any withdrawals used for qualified higher education expenses and outgoing rollovers to other qualified 529 plans and 529A ABLE accounts are also state income tax free.
If I go with VG (Nevada) or Fidelity (New Hampshire) plan, would they also offer the same tax benefits for CA? or would CA tax me on the 529 withdrawals if the plan is from another state?
If you're a CA resident, there are no tax advantages to using any particular state's 529.

IMO, all the state's discussed so far have very good 529s (well, I don't know anything about Virginia's). It's splitting hairs deciding between them and is not worth the mental energy. I think that people that have all their assets at Vanguard or Fidelity might prefer NV or NH respectively just for the simplicity.
NS_Bane
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:27 pm

Re: 529 Advice for California Resident

Post by NS_Bane »

Bfwolf wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:27 am IMO, all the state's discussed so far have very good 529s (well, I don't know anything about Virginia's). It's splitting hairs deciding between them and is not worth the mental energy.
+1.
gurusw
Posts: 217
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 9:37 am

Re: 529 Advice for California Resident

Post by gurusw »

Bfwolf wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:27 am
gurusw wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:39 pm This is what scholarshare529 says (https://www.scholarshare529.com/plan/de ... details-10):
While contributions are not deductible for California income tax purposes, earnings accrue free of state income tax. Any withdrawals used for qualified higher education expenses and outgoing rollovers to other qualified 529 plans and 529A ABLE accounts are also state income tax free.
If I go with VG (Nevada) or Fidelity (New Hampshire) plan, would they also offer the same tax benefits for CA? or would CA tax me on the 529 withdrawals if the plan is from another state?
If you're a CA resident, there are no tax advantages to using any particular state's 529.

IMO, all the state's discussed so far have very good 529s (well, I don't know anything about Virginia's). It's splitting hairs deciding between them and is not worth the mental energy. I think that people that have all their assets at Vanguard or Fidelity might prefer NV or NH respectively just for the simplicity.
Ok, so I guess that means CA would not tax me on any 529 plan (regardless of the state I choose) when I do qualified withdrawal?
softwaregeek
Posts: 612
Joined: Wed May 08, 2019 8:59 pm

Re: 529 Advice for California Resident

Post by softwaregeek »

Tax rules are by state of residence, not state of account.

I am in CA and have a plan in another state where it is deductible and a close relative lives. He can fund to my kid and deduct taxes. I fund to the same account and cannot.
Post Reply