It was the best of times, it was the worst of times

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
itsmeagain

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times

Post by itsmeagain » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:38 pm

I've been keeping good records of my investments since early 1990s. Barring a complete meltdown in the market over the next 10 days, my gains this year will be the largest, in dollar terms, by quite a lot. :moneybag In terms of my portfolio underperforming the US stock market on a percentage basis, though, this looks like it will be second worst year ever, after 2013. :oops: No complaints, I'm a conservative investor and happy with this disconnect. :sharebeer

tenkuky

Re: It was the best of times, it was the worst of times

Post by tenkuky » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:42 pm

Great!
To keep this actionable, what methodology are you using for tracking?
Your own spreadsheet, an aggregator program?
I need to be more organized myself so glad to have tips.

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:44 pm

I'm in the same boat as you. This year could be my largest gain in dollars as long as the bottom doesn't drop out. I can handle it either way as I am also a conservative(50/50) investor.

Dan
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:49 pm

itsmeagain wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:38 pm
I've been keeping good records of my investments since early 1990s. Barring a complete meltdown in the market over the next 10 days, my gains this year will be the largest, in dollar terms, by quite a lot. :moneybag In terms of my portfolio underperforming the US stock market on a percentage basis, though, this looks like it will be second worst year ever, after 2013. :oops: No complaints, I'm a conservative investor and happy with this disconnect. :sharebeer
What is your AA?

My AA is 50% equities 50% bonds. If I compare my portfolio to just the "market" (S&P 500, DOW) I have under-performed. But, if I just compare my 50% equities to the "market", my under-performance disappears.

So, perhaps you haven't under-performed, after all.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Emg

Post by Emg » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:50 pm

Were you in the market last October-December? Did your portfolio not drop significantly during that time? Part of the reason this YTD looks so good is because the market was pulling out of a pretty deep hole.

Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:56 pm

Emg wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:50 pm
Were you in the market last October-December? Did your portfolio not drop significantly during that time? Part of the reason this YTD looks so good is because the market was pulling out of a pretty deep hole.

That illustrates the thoughts of the Great Saint Jack! The "pretty deep hole" happened pretty quickly and recovered very quickly. I love his advice to stay the course. Also, "don't do something, just stand there."

I started investing Jack's way in 2014. the 5 and a half years since doing that have been fabulous.
Upton Sinclair: "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it."

Topic Author
itsmeagain

Post by itsmeagain » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:32 pm

Sure feels good now being a very conservative investor :sharebeer

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:20 pm

itsmeagain wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:32 pm
Sure feels good now being a very conservative investor :sharebeer
So agree.